Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Third Shift Amber Lager - Coors Brewing Company

Third Shift Amber LagerThird Shift Amber Lager

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Vienna Lager |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: gtermi on 12-05-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Third Shift Amber Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 188 | Hads: 1,181
4.12/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Honestly, I really liked this until I realized it was made by Coors. I did a double-take and got over myself. Thanks, Coors, for making something that doesn't taste like squirrel piss for once.

No need to elaborate on what other reviewers have said. I'll just say that if i'm looking for something about this caliber and in this style, I'll just stick with an old friend Yuengling, which is a tad better in my opinion.

Grossly sweet and bad smelling. A cheap beer but I'll still complain about it. Not sure how someone could drink this, very little carbonation, just tasted of very sweet malts and caramel. I can't really describe this beer to we'll but it was an awful beer. Would never buy again. If you are looking for something cheap but different (like I was) stay away from this, unless you enjoy feeling sick from sweetness.

3.09/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle, from a random grocery store mixed 6-er in Sandpoint, Idaho, a few weeks ago. 'Third Shift'? Is this a reference to the additional work shift a mega-brewery would have to add to create a 'craft beer' pilot program, or the like?

This beer pours a clear, medium copper amber colour, with three fingers of puffy, tightly foamy, and mildly bubbly ecru head, which leaves some decent descending layered cloud lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of grainy, lightly toasted pale and caramel malt, a bit of rice pudding, slightly phenolic yeast, and plain earthy, weedy hops. The taste is bready, sort of doughy caramel malt, overripe apples, fading spicy yeast, and more underwhelming dead leafy, weedy, and somewhat floral hop bitters.

The carbonation is quite low-key, what with its bland frothiness, the body an adequate middleweight, and mostly smooth, just a wee, indistinct edginess picking and pulling at the corners. It finishes off-dry, and still toasty, the caramel and generic fruitiness lingering on.

Nothing particularly wrong here, as the off-flavours are generally integrated into the whole (wow, I should be in marketing!). Overall, easy enough to drink, yet perhaps a bit too sweet by bottle's end. I'd like to see what Coors could come up with if they added a fourth shift.

3.32/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle (best by date 31Aug15) into a pilsner glass.
LOOK: A quarter of a finger's worth of white foam formed after being poured and maintained itself. Ascending bubbles are moderate. The beer is more of a copper color, despite it's name. Lacing is low.
SMELL: Mild aromas of pale malts and spicy hops along with hints of sweet pilsner malts and caramel/roasted aromas from vienna malts.
TASTE: Initial taste is of mild roasted/caramel malty goodness that combines well with mild spicy hop flavors. Mild pale malt flavors along with hints of pilsner malts enter immediately after as both previous flavors persist.
FEEL: Not quite medium-bodied, but definitely not light-bodied. Carbonation is mild and the brew is slightly creamy. The finish is nice and crisp.
NOTE: I thought that this would be worse than it really was. This was rather decent. I could see me drinking this if someone offered it to me. This was pretty much a less decent from of a Sam Adams.

2.96/5  rDev -3.6%

Left in the fridge from a cousin who stopped by that I haven't seen in a few years.

Look - Deep amber with a large frothy white head that leaves a smidge of lacing. Carbonation bubbles are running rampant.

Smell - Toasty malts, a bit of an earthy character.

Taste - Malts stay prevalent with a bit of an earthy character and a tad sour as you swallow it. Candied apple and moderately sweet and sticky.

Feel - Sits light bodied and a tad watery with the carbonation having died down. A slime creaminess.

Overall - An average beer. Not a bad attempt from Coors. quite comparable to Miller Fortune.

3.09/5  rDev +0.7%

Not bad at all. Outstanding for Coors. I prefer it to Abita Amber. Yep, I said it. I prefer something from Coors over a micro. I would wager that in a blind taste test many would agree with me. Too bad the masses found out it was from Coors. Otherwise, I don't think it would be rated so low. If this was the last beer on earth I'd be just fine.

3.35/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Easy to drink. It has distinction and I think that is an acceptable beer to share with friends without guilt be drinking something that is useless. It has the spirit of good craft beers.

3.09/5  rDev +0.7%

Oh come on, It's not THAT bad. Sure it's from the Coors family but I think it actually has a light, refreshing taste. Not too bitter but not as bland as their other swill. Maybe it's not a true craft beer but geez, Coors actually put out something worth drinking for a change. Kudos to them. Try it. I don't think you'll actually puke or anything and you might think it's slightly above mediocre.

3.18/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pretty decent brew. One of my first craft beers ever, and i hated it the first time i had it but ever since my taste buds realized beer was more than Bud and Miller they've grown fond of the cheap price and average amber ale taste. Not bad for having something in between meh and really good. Sessionable beer too.

1.9/5  rDev -38.1%

Want to hear a joke?
What's red and taste like blue paint? Red paint.

Want to hear another joke?
What light-gold and taste like blue paint? Third Shift Amber Lager.

1.5/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

I used to enjoy this beer, but I opened one today and poured it down the sink. The aroma is completely wrong for an amber ale, and reminds me of a coors lite. If I had any, I would do a comparison. The taste of this beer is also terrible and is reminiscent of a budmillercoors lager and is not anything like an amber ale. There is a faint hint of toasty malt but the aftertaste is more like that of a cheap lager. This beer is also very sweet.

3.36/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Accidentally grabbed two of these so I hope it's good.

Appearance : pours a honey golden color, like batch 19 actually. The head isn't bad, it's a 2 finger quickly diminishing to a 1 finger with lacing left - impressive.

Aroma : Very heavy presence of roasted malts, specifically barley and rice. Clean and crisp ethanol, a slight pine note from hops. The roasted malts definitely own the aroma.

Flavor : Malt heavy and soppy up front, a faint snap of noble hop, and ends with a dusty roasted note. It definitely tastes like a cold fermented lager and not an ale.

Mouthfeel : light bodied, a moderate snap of carbonation that bites the tongue when left in mouth, giving way to a slightly creamy feel, and ends slightly dry.

Overall : it's whatever. It's not a standout beer but it's not terrible either. A pretty average Amber lager, no bells or whistles, nothing memorable in a good OR bad way. Definitely a blue collar beer at an inflated price.

2.47/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Went into this with an open mind and a clean glass.

High hopes came with a very nice pour of clear honey color, a 2 finger head and plenty of carbonation. head slowly subsided and disappeared in about 2 minutes but left some lace about halfway down. The initial aroma was faint but pleasant, sweet malt but went away quickly never to return again. I liked the carbonation and crisp mouthfeel but taste was blah, to be kind, with some kind bitter, not in a nice hoppy way, after taste. I'll pass on any more of these.

4.57/5  rDev +48.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very surprised! Very Nice. Not too Hoppy. The rating asks for smell? This doesn't smell like it supposed to. Beer is flavorful and a great texture.

3.25/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Yuengling, but not quite as good, which says something considering that Yuengling isn't all that great either. Don't go out of your way to drink this beer. Suck it, Coors!

3.33/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I don't think much when I drink this beer. That it is light, sweet, juicy and cold is all that matters. That it's a Coors product isn't even on the screen.

3.21/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass.

A: Fizzy light orange. 1 finger head that recedes quickly leaving a small ring of foam.
S: Metallic, caramel malts.
T: Sweetness from caramel malt. Hints of apple. Metallic taste throughout. Virtually no hop presence.
M: Light to medium. Finishes sweet.
O: Too sweet for me, and with a weird metallic taste that was off putting.

3.5/5  rDev +14%

Run of the mill amber lager. Not going to blow you away, but gets the job done. Nothing offensive, but it really doesn't have anything that stands out about it.

Would drink again, possibly purchase.

3.2/5  rDev +4.2%

From notes on 10/3/13

I had this on tap. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought this was a very decent beer. For a lager from a big company like MillerCoors, you’d expect hardly any flavor. This one does have flavor and it was good. I would drink it again.

3.63/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is really great. Huge off white head clear amber color and really dense lacing.
Still had some head at the bottom of my nonic glass. Smell is bready malt with a bit of caramel malt. No hop smell.
Taste is sweet malts with enough herbal hops to balance the taste.
Mouthfeel is medium with enough carbonation. Finish is slightly dry with a balanced finish.
Overall I did not care for the bottled version but this review comes from a 16 ounce can brewed in Ft. Worth (Miller) and it is much better than the bottled version. I hate to say this as a long time union member but the boys in Ft. Worth are brewing some excellent beers. Check out the Fosters Oil cans from the same brewery. Best Fosters ever. The can date Jun 16 2014. Has to be the brewed on date cause this beer was really tasty.

3.21/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. smell is very mild, some light malts. Taste is also mild, malty, a bit of grains, refreshing but bland. Feels light in the mouth and overall not terrible, but nothing special about this beer.

4.52/5  rDev +47.2%

Awesome. This is a really good lager for after a long day at work. The 6 pack is really cheap at $5 and some change. I really like this beer. I will keep this beer in my fridge.I really don't know what else to write because it keeps saying invalid comment length

3.16/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a copper color with a half finger of foam that dissipates quickly. Aroma is grainy, minerally, not much by way of hop or sweet malt aromas.

This beer has a strong crystal malt sweetness at first, with a very flat finish. Not much lingering flavor, and not much hop flavor comes through. There is nothing bad about this per se, it is just very basic and one dimensional.

This is basically a plain old amber beer with nothing else to differentiate it. Drinkable for sure, but there are much better beers to be had.

3.92/5  rDev +27.7%

Bought a 6-pack of this at the grocery store liquor store because I noticed it was on sale. Drank from the bottle poured into my beer glass. Tried it both cold, and again when it warmed to room temperature. I really liked the appearance of this one- a rich, golden red. 1/2" head that dissipated very rapidly. Very very light lacing on the glass. The carbonation was decent, but almost too much for my taste. Very light smell- hard to pick it up, but I'd describe it as wheaty with a light caramel apple in the background. Taste was excellent. Very flavorful, but not too strong or overpowering. Malt, grass, citrus, and apple with a very light bitter citrus aftertaste. I actually liked the beer better after it warmed up to room temperature. The taste became much more sweet and defined. I had mixed feelings about this beer before trying it. I had heard good things about it, but wasn't sure how it would be, especially since it's made by Coors. I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed this beer and would definitely drink it again.

Third Shift Amber Lager from Coors Brewing Company