Third Shift Amber Lager | Coors Brewing Company

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by gtermi on 12-05-2012

Reviews: 196 | Ratings: 1,214
2.5/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into an American pint glass. Dark amber color, with fresh head. I did not really like this beer, so I rate beers that I find drinkable, but not ones I really like with a 2.5. It was malty, and had a coppery flavor to it as well.

2.94/5  rDev -3.6%

It is amber, I'll give it that.

Well, it was there so I had to try it. Not a disappointment, rather not a happy find. Apparently Coors Research decided something like this would sell and it probably does, though I'm the only guy in my group who has actually bought some. Pours like a Coors beer, little more flavor than their regular stuff, but I wouldn't call it malt or hop forward. Not bland, just not quite medium either. A tweener without enough going for it to be interesting.

Not bad, buy it, just have realistic expectations.

3.39/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

It's not bad. Admittedly every palate is different, but anything from Coors or AB seems open for condemnation, regardless of taste. I get it. I've found myself being overly generous and forgiving with brews from some of the smallest, newest, Local craft brewers. Yes, most beers from the macros of the world aren't very impressive, but not all of their offerings are crap. It just seems like a lot of ratings are based on label contents more than bottle content.

And with that, looks like I did a whole, complaining review, with no actual info on the beer... Hmm... not bad. Maybe more info next time.

3.7/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look is solid caramel copper color with huge amounts of streaming carbonation. Very nice two fingers of fluffy of white head. And by the way the bottle art looks great as well.

Smell is barley, bread and biscuits.

Taste is malty with a hint of sweetness.

The mouth feel is slightly over the light and walking into the medium mouth feel territory. The finish feels a bit wet with a sweet snap at the end of the swallow.

I find this to be a very nice offering from the Coors Brewing Company. It does seem a bit on the bland side yet I also think it works well. What it works well with? I look forward to exploring a few more to find out.

2.45/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Fooled again, I got it at the restaurant we ate tonight because I thought it was a craft beer. It looked fairly nice, dark amber, thin white head, but it did not have much of an aroma. The taste was malty sweetness and caramel with a subtle metallic under tone. No noticeable hops, light, bland, and watery.

2.8/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Newsflash:
Coors Cavorts as Craft!

Poured from a bottle into a glass.
Look: Crystal clear, light copper hue, moderately high carbonation.
Smell: Malty and yeasty. Some pear-like sweetness coming through.
Taste: Yeast/malt flavor with a slight sour tinge. Strong malty sweet aftertaste reminiscent of a Malta Goya soda from the Mexican grocery.
Mouthfeel: Light as a middle school jockey. Fizzy.
Overall: Coors Cavorts as Craft! (but still tastes like Coors)

1.86/5  rDev -39%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

A shame that Coors has to hide behind a fake brewing company and pass this off as a craft brew. A very weak example of an amber lager, faint malt aroma, fast fading airy head, malt taste (think malt liquor). Very disappointing.

1.35/5  rDev -55.7%

I never had to put unopened beer in the trash until I tried this one. I did not pour the five bottles out and recycle them because anything that touched this beer should not be used by humans ever again. It may not have been prudent to get a sixer of a beer I knew nothing about, but let me explain. The closest bodega to my apartment has a pretty tiny bottled beer section and with the World Series looming I'll need to stay carbonated. The lack of any information on the label about the brewery was a red flag that I ignored like colorblind bull. Only later on, too late, did I notice the label's real sign of disaster: the thematic incongruity between the militaristic motto "Band of Brewers" and the name, suggestive of labor, possibly referring to the time during which they mix Coors, Coors Lite, sugar, and red dye and, nodding to the craft market, add a touch of Colorado snow that has been shat on by the passing Budweiser horses.

4.12/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Honestly, I really liked this until I realized it was made by Coors. I did a double-take and got over myself. Thanks, Coors, for making something that doesn't taste like squirrel piss for once.

No need to elaborate on what other reviewers have said. I'll just say that if i'm looking for something about this caliber and in this style, I'll just stick with an old friend Yuengling, which is a tad better in my opinion.

Grossly sweet and bad smelling. A cheap beer but I'll still complain about it. Not sure how someone could drink this, very little carbonation, just tasted of very sweet malts and caramel. I can't really describe this beer to we'll but it was an awful beer. Would never buy again. If you are looking for something cheap but different (like I was) stay away from this, unless you enjoy feeling sick from sweetness.

3.09/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle, from a random grocery store mixed 6-er in Sandpoint, Idaho, a few weeks ago. 'Third Shift'? Is this a reference to the additional work shift a mega-brewery would have to add to create a 'craft beer' pilot program, or the like?

This beer pours a clear, medium copper amber colour, with three fingers of puffy, tightly foamy, and mildly bubbly ecru head, which leaves some decent descending layered cloud lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of grainy, lightly toasted pale and caramel malt, a bit of rice pudding, slightly phenolic yeast, and plain earthy, weedy hops. The taste is bready, sort of doughy caramel malt, overripe apples, fading spicy yeast, and more underwhelming dead leafy, weedy, and somewhat floral hop bitters.

The carbonation is quite low-key, what with its bland frothiness, the body an adequate middleweight, and mostly smooth, just a wee, indistinct edginess picking and pulling at the corners. It finishes off-dry, and still toasty, the caramel and generic fruitiness lingering on.

Nothing particularly wrong here, as the off-flavours are generally integrated into the whole (wow, I should be in marketing!). Overall, easy enough to drink, yet perhaps a bit too sweet by bottle's end. I'd like to see what Coors could come up with if they added a fourth shift.

3.32/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle (best by date 31Aug15) into a pilsner glass.
LOOK: A quarter of a finger's worth of white foam formed after being poured and maintained itself. Ascending bubbles are moderate. The beer is more of a copper color, despite it's name. Lacing is low.
SMELL: Mild aromas of pale malts and spicy hops along with hints of sweet pilsner malts and caramel/roasted aromas from vienna malts.
TASTE: Initial taste is of mild roasted/caramel malty goodness that combines well with mild spicy hop flavors. Mild pale malt flavors along with hints of pilsner malts enter immediately after as both previous flavors persist.
FEEL: Not quite medium-bodied, but definitely not light-bodied. Carbonation is mild and the brew is slightly creamy. The finish is nice and crisp.
NOTE: I thought that this would be worse than it really was. This was rather decent. I could see me drinking this if someone offered it to me. This was pretty much a less decent from of a Sam Adams.

2.96/5  rDev -3%

Left in the fridge from a cousin who stopped by that I haven't seen in a few years.

Look - Deep amber with a large frothy white head that leaves a smidge of lacing. Carbonation bubbles are running rampant.

Smell - Toasty malts, a bit of an earthy character.

Taste - Malts stay prevalent with a bit of an earthy character and a tad sour as you swallow it. Candied apple and moderately sweet and sticky.

Feel - Sits light bodied and a tad watery with the carbonation having died down. A slime creaminess.

Overall - An average beer. Not a bad attempt from Coors. quite comparable to Miller Fortune.

3.09/5  rDev +1.3%

Not bad at all. Outstanding for Coors. I prefer it to Abita Amber. Yep, I said it. I prefer something from Coors over a micro. I would wager that in a blind taste test many would agree with me. Too bad the masses found out it was from Coors. Otherwise, I don't think it would be rated so low. If this was the last beer on earth I'd be just fine.

3.35/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Easy to drink. It has distinction and I think that is an acceptable beer to share with friends without guilt be drinking something that is useless. It has the spirit of good craft beers.

3.09/5  rDev +1.3%

Oh come on, It's not THAT bad. Sure it's from the Coors family but I think it actually has a light, refreshing taste. Not too bitter but not as bland as their other swill. Maybe it's not a true craft beer but geez, Coors actually put out something worth drinking for a change. Kudos to them. Try it. I don't think you'll actually puke or anything and you might think it's slightly above mediocre.

3.18/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pretty decent brew. One of my first craft beers ever, and i hated it the first time i had it but ever since my taste buds realized beer was more than Bud and Miller they've grown fond of the cheap price and average amber ale taste. Not bad for having something in between meh and really good. Sessionable beer too.

1.9/5  rDev -37.7%

Want to hear a joke?
What's red and taste like blue paint? Red paint.

Want to hear another joke?
What light-gold and taste like blue paint? Third Shift Amber Lager.

1.5/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

I used to enjoy this beer, but I opened one today and poured it down the sink. The aroma is completely wrong for an amber ale, and reminds me of a coors lite. If I had any, I would do a comparison. The taste of this beer is also terrible and is reminiscent of a budmillercoors lager and is not anything like an amber ale. There is a faint hint of toasty malt but the aftertaste is more like that of a cheap lager. This beer is also very sweet.

3.36/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Accidentally grabbed two of these so I hope it's good.

Appearance : pours a honey golden color, like batch 19 actually. The head isn't bad, it's a 2 finger quickly diminishing to a 1 finger with lacing left - impressive.

Aroma : Very heavy presence of roasted malts, specifically barley and rice. Clean and crisp ethanol, a slight pine note from hops. The roasted malts definitely own the aroma.

Flavor : Malt heavy and soppy up front, a faint snap of noble hop, and ends with a dusty roasted note. It definitely tastes like a cold fermented lager and not an ale.

Mouthfeel : light bodied, a moderate snap of carbonation that bites the tongue when left in mouth, giving way to a slightly creamy feel, and ends slightly dry.

Overall : it's whatever. It's not a standout beer but it's not terrible either. A pretty average Amber lager, no bells or whistles, nothing memorable in a good OR bad way. Definitely a blue collar beer at an inflated price.

2.47/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Went into this with an open mind and a clean glass.

High hopes came with a very nice pour of clear honey color, a 2 finger head and plenty of carbonation. head slowly subsided and disappeared in about 2 minutes but left some lace about halfway down. The initial aroma was faint but pleasant, sweet malt but went away quickly never to return again. I liked the carbonation and crisp mouthfeel but taste was blah, to be kind, with some kind bitter, not in a nice hoppy way, after taste. I'll pass on any more of these.

4.57/5  rDev +49.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very surprised! Very Nice. Not too Hoppy. The rating asks for smell? This doesn't smell like it supposed to. Beer is flavorful and a great texture.

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Yuengling, but not quite as good, which says something considering that Yuengling isn't all that great either. Don't go out of your way to drink this beer. Suck it, Coors!

3.33/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I don't think much when I drink this beer. That it is light, sweet, juicy and cold is all that matters. That it's a Coors product isn't even on the screen.

Third Shift Amber Lager from Coors Brewing Company