George Killian's Irish Stout - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish StoutGeorge Killian's Irish Stout

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: barczar on 12-30-2012)
Reviews by Matthew_Phoenix:
2.26/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

I had this a few weeks ago, and I hated it. I figured it was because I already had a few beers in me at the time, so I decided to try it again yesterday, nothing changed.

A: Pitch Black, looks almost like a Guinness, which is promising.

S: Malty, earthy, coffee like, so far so good, not overpowering either.

T: This is where everything goes south. Wayyy too strong and over powering for my liking, extra bitter and just coffee like. Its like drinking the strongest coffee ever brewed, but in beer form.

M: Super heavy in the mouth, not only that, but it also didn't sit well in my stomach. I felt like crap after drinking it, made be slightly ill on both occasions that i tried it

O: Not my cup of tea. When I have trouble drinking a beer, then you know there is a problem. Tried to give the rest of the six pack away, but everyone who tried it didn't like it. Ended up putting it in an elevator.

If I'm looking for an Irish Stout, I'm gonna get Guinness. It's a shame too cuz I like George Killian's Red Ale fine. This one didn't do it for me, if you like overly strong and heavy beer that doesn't sit well in ur stomach, then go right ahead, but I'm gonna pass.

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

4.5/5  rDev +35.1%

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

3.79/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle with BB date on neck of 28 July 2014.

Killians (Coors) origin leads me to expect a competent but probably mild stout. Well, surprise ... this stout is fairly robust and has some character. A wallop of dark chocolate and hint of coffee are in the mix with a moderate amount of dark roasted malts. The aroma is alos stronger than average for style.
Good balance and a fine lingering aftertaste.

Feel: Semi-dry; medium body and carbonation.

O: don't let the Coors affiliation steer you away from this fine Irish Stout.

4.2/5  rDev +26.1%

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

3.64/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours opaque black with a tan 2 finger head. Good retention. Leaves behind a thin layer of microbubbles on the surface. Lacing is spotty with fair stick.

Smell - Moderate chocolate tones. Mild roasty aroma.

Taste - Follows the nose. Moderate notes of chocolate and touches of coffee near the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with fair carbonation. Goes down easy, with a semi-dry finish.

Overall - Solid stout. Simple, but a nice, consistent flavor. Decent body. Nice sessionable stout.

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

A - black with a soft cap of frothy, light brown head that fades to a thin lacing

S - initially burnt sugar and caramel followed by a grainy sweetness and some roasted malts

T - roasted malts, caramel, burnt sugar

M - medium bodied, a tad crisp for the style

This definitely exceeded my expectations. I wasn't expecting anything with a good deal of flavor. This definitely has it's merits. I would like a little less caramel presence and tad more roasted malts and perhaps coffee or charcoal notes. The burnt sugar presence was actually enjoyable for me. Overall, this isn't a bad beer. There are definitely "truer" Irish Dry Stouts available, but for an inexpensive beer with a decent flavor this will do.

George Killian's Irish Stout from Coors Brewing Company