Microbrew Invitational

Added by barczar on 12-30-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 59 | Ratings: 329
3.59/5  rDev +4.1%

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Almost black color with a fingers worth of quickly disappearing, tan head. Light amounts of sticky lacing.

Smell- Black coffee and dark roasted malt aromas.

Taste- Muted roasted malt and coffee flavor with a mild hop finish.

Mouthfeel- On the light end of medium bodied but very smooth. An average amount of carbonation.

Overall- This could be a really good beer with a little tweaking. The body is too thin and the flavors a little too subdued for what I think of a typical Irish Stout. It's not bad, and I wouldn't pour it down the sink, but I definitely have had better.

2.89/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured out of a 12 ounce bottle into a shaker glass while watching the Leafs-Lightning game.

A- pours a beautiful dark blackish amber with a nice thick 1/2 inch tan head.

S- nice coffee notes, sweet, roasted malt. The nose is appealing.

T- this is where the brew disappoints. Very small roast, tiny chocolate, dry and slightly bitter is where it's at. Add in a slight sour aspect in the finish, as a nod to Guinness perhaps? Low malt and low hop.

M- thin, watery and not as chewy as a top notch stout. Astringent in the finish.

For a massed produced "roasted" brew I would rather have a Stegmaier Porter. This is like a nice stout that was diluted to make it more appealing to a wider market that is used to drinking BMC...wait a minute.... Killians = Coors. A-Ha!

2.9/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A - Has only light amber hues at the base and a 1/2 inch of mocha head with good lacing. Quite good for a Coors product.

S - Smell is kind of faint with cold coffee and mild roast highlighting. Maybe some chalky yeasts I am not sure.

T - Well it's pretty sub standard. Mild coffee notes like watered down day old Folgers comes to mind. The finish is "dry" with some yeast and bittering hops. No chocolate at all so I guess I hate it.

M - Light to medium not very chewy or full bodied.

Overall avoid if you can I expected something since it's still a craft brewery but it's very basic stout even in Guinness standards. In fact get Guinness this stout is less than adequate.

3.06/5  rDev -11.3%

Appearance: Deep black with a large tan head, which retains quite well, the lacing is thick and glass-coating.

Aroma: A fairly strong presence of charcoal and burnt notes, as well as roasted malt. The aroma seems understated.

Taste: Opens with charcoal and dark roasted malt; these carry throughout the taste. As the taste progresses, there are hints of cold coffee. Finishes with a mild, earthy hop presence and a little bitter cocoa.

Mouth feel:Smooth and pleasant, with a hint of zesty carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Seems a bit watery and understated. I think it could have been much better if the brewer had upped the malt bill. As it is, it seems like "Stout light".

Presentation: Packaged in a custom twelve-ounce brown glass bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Sourced: Purchased at HEB in Texas on February 2, 2013 for $6.99 for a a six-pack of twelve-ounce bottles.

3.39/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle to pint. Let's see where this stacks up.

Pours brick-black with a tan cap of froth. Holds well, too.

Light aroma reveals dryness and light smoke, even, with notes of mocha and browned fruit. Interesting, but subdued.

Dry stout staleness with roasty malts offer hints of cocoa and instant coffee, but the wateriness uncovers some gritty astringency. Bitterness is surging with the level of carbonation, and there's not enough sweetness or flavor to balance it out. Mineral notes retain an earthiness. Hint of peat smoke is appealing, and I'm not entirely sure where it comes from. Unexpectedly fitting. Has an off-kilter hop profile (grassy/minty) that estranges me a little. Body is weak and missing chew.

After all this deliberation, it's honestly still an average Irish Stout. Quality of ingredients suffers a bit, but there's interesting complexity.

3.41/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a six pack of Killian's Irish Stout last week for $6.79 at Meijers. A friend told me to give this a try so when I saw that it was on sale I figured I should give it a shot, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty similar to Killian's Irish Red, it just had a darker look to it. It poured a very dark brown color that was on the verge of being black and it took on a dark ruby red hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of dark tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some spotty lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a good amount of malts that have a higher amount of sweetness to it and impart some lighter roasted aromas, along with some cocoa powder and just a hint of coffee. The cocoa powder sticks out the most and there's also a slight buttery aroma. This beer had an alright aroma, but I wish it it had some more roasted malt aromas to it with a little less sweetness.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it start off with some malts that have a higher amount of medium sweetness to it and imparted a medium amount of roasted malt flavors that were nicer than the aroma led to me to believe, the cocoa powder and a little bit of coffee still showed up with the cocoa powder not being as dominating as it was in the aroma. On the finish comes a lighter amount of earthy hops that made for a medium amount of bitterness and a roasted and chocolate like aftertaste. This beer tasted nice and better than I expected, it was much more balanced than the aroma and I liked that.

M- Pretty smooth, crisp, slightly prickly, medium bodied, with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty average, it was just a little on the light side with too much carbonation for the style.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and it was a slightly above average example of the style, it had most of what I look for in an Irish Dry Stout, but it ended up being just a little rough around the edges. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was smooth, the flavor did an ok job at holding my attention and it isn't too filling, I could see drinking a few of these when in the mood especially on St. Patty's day. What I liked the most about this beer was the how balanced the taste was, it worked nicely with this beer and that aspect was pretty true to style, the appearance was also pretty nice. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was just a little on the light side and I could have gone without the higher and slightly prickly carbonation. I don't think I would keep this stocked in my fridge, but I could see buying a few of these at the bar when the selection isn't that great, I think I would enjoy this a little more then a Guinness and I would recommend this to someone as a good starter Stout. All in all I didn't think this beer was that bad at all, I didn't have the highest expectations for this beer, but it did end up impressing me a little. If this show's up at most bars that mainly serve BMC, I would be pretty happy with that, good job guys, nice to Killian's venturing out from the typical Irish Red Ale.

2.8/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Wait, there's a Killian's stout now? Okay. This stuff pours a dark black-brown topped by a finger of sandy khaki foam. The nose comprises mild roasted malts...and nothing else. Okay. The taste runs very similarly, just more watered-down. Sadly. The body is a very light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a kinda watery feel. Overall, this is a pretty sad Irish stout, basically a watered-down Guinness (which I think speaks volumes). My disappointment knows no bounds.

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

A. Pitch black with threefingers of milk chocolate head.

S. coffee beans, chocolate, malts.

T. Malty and semi sweet followed by a drying bitter finish.

O. Meh. Decent but prob won't try it again. The dry finish doesnt leave a good taste and lacks an overall balance to it.

3.45/5  rDev 0%

Aggressive pour yields an opaque brown color with ruby highlights and a frothy 2" mocha head that slowly dissipates, leaving substantial lacing.

Roast malt, chocolate, and toasted nuts form the initial aroma. Coffee and vanilla surface later, along with earthy, minerally characters.

Acrid coffee grounds, roast malt, burnt breadcrust, and a nutty note at the finish make up the flavor profile. The finish is fairly dry and a touch bitter. Chocolate and tar surface late.

Body is a tad watery, with moderate to low carbonation and a fairly astringent finish.

Everything was great until the wheels fell off at the flavor profile. Not a bad option for a Coors product.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last