Blue Moon Pine In The Neck - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Pine In The NeckBlue Moon Pine In The Neck

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: keeganfrank on 02-07-2013)
cletusdog

12-08-2013 22:06:06 | More by fishguyac
Wasatch

Utah

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours a very nice dark golden amber color, nice carbonation, with a very nice thick one-finger plus creamy off-white head, which leaves some nice sticky lacing behind. This is where the DIPA stops. The nose is malty sweet, but no hints of hops, pine, or citrus. The taste basically follows the nose, but drinkable. Medium body, with some bitterness in the finish. Overall a very bad brew following the style. This does not even give the masses what a DIPA could even be like.

08-17-2014 20:53:42 | More by Wasatch
notchucknorris

2.68/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Pours a solid looking clear copper color with a dense and foamy cream colored head. Good retention.

S: A bit of a spiced aroma with some pine, citrus rind and something soap like in the back. I get a lot of sweet yeast hanging around here that reminds me a lot of actual Blue Moon.

T: A touch of pine at first that fades into a slightly floral hop bitterness. Finish brings an overpowering malt sweetness that really kills this thing. It shows up with some pine resin, but absolutely mauls the pine resin. Mouthfeel is thin while somehow also feeling sticky and sweet. Coats the mouth after each sip way more than something with this weak of a mouthfeel should. Makes me wonder what's actually in here... Overall, not a horrible brew, but definitely gets killed by the sweetness.

10-01-2013 02:11:36 | More by notchucknorris

Missouri

03-24-2014 04:30:03 | More by Tafyob41
Stinkypuss

2.84/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a hazed orange color with a white soapy head and lace. Aroma is brightly hoppy, piney, citrusy and herbal. In the taste, pine and herb upfront. Mild bitterness, minimal alcohol. There's a bit of an herbal, gin like finish from the juniper. The beer is front heavy, and a bit thin. Overall, a step in the right direction.

01-22-2014 02:36:12 | More by Stinkypuss
kojevergas

2.84/5  rDev -18.6%

Every beer gets a chance. This cost me $6.00 at the local Von's grocery store in Los Feliz. 7.5% ABV confirmed. 650ml brown glass bottle with branded twist-off pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average on account of the brewery. "Ale Brewed with Juniper Berries"/"Dobule IPA Brewed with Juniper Berries." Best before September 2nd, 2013.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and pretty good (~4-5 minute) retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a clear transparent translucent amber. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Uneven inconsistent lacing as the head recedes. Pretty typical of the style; I expected it to look worse. there's nothing unique or special here, but there are no overt flaws.

Sm: Piney hop character, floral hops, caramel, and biscuity malts. Not too much sweetness, but little hop character for the style. It's not particularly evocative, but it's generally appealing. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Light citrus. I guess there's light berry when I really look for it, but I wouldn't have gotten that blind. A mild strength aroma. Pleasant and inoffensive.

T: Hm. Some light piney hop notes joined by a strange berry character with some artificial sweetness. Pale, caramel, and biscuit malts comprise the simple body. Some floral hop character. Light citrus. It's painfully simple, but it's more balanced than many Imperial IPAs I've tried. The berry isn't doing much for it; I think that's mainly a gimmick. Still, it's not a bad brew. Bland and boring - yes - but not bad. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Pretty generic. Smooth, wet, sticky. Overcarbonated. Decent thickness. Not soft enough. Adequate body. Average presence on the palate. There's nothing unique or special about the execution. Suits the flavour profile in a general sense.

Dr: This one will take a lot of flack from reviewers mainly because of the brewery, but it's really not any worse or better than your run of the mill micro IPA. The price point is horrid for the low quality, but I knew that going in - and I'm willing to bet this is more consistent than most craft IPAs. I wouldn't get it again unless it was the best option at a dive bar or something, but it'll satisfy fans of the style. I foresee a lot of fun could be had with beeradvocates throwing this into a blind imperial IPA tasting. As average as they come.

Low C

jmccullough108

Missouri

10-26-2013 00:15:29 | More by jmccullough108
utfiero

Aroma- pine needles. Slight head.

Color- amber.

Taste- a decent IPA from an otherwise pedestrian brewery. Blue Moon calls this a double IPA but it doesn't reach the level of a double IPA. Starts with a medium to mild pine needle hop start then quickly finishes with a gin-like dryness from the juniper berries. Drinkable but in the crowded market of craft brew, I would not buy this again. 75 IBUs

Poured from 650 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted on 1/25/14

01-25-2014 23:48:43 | More by utfiero

07-09-2014 04:53:21 | More by BearMittens
Distilled

Oregon

3.01/5  rDev -13.8%

Hmmm... I think I like it...

A: Nice clear copper color, looks real nice. Off-white head, I got about a finger's worth, good retention, clings to the glass. ...made me thirsty straight away....

S: No idea what I'm smelling... I don't really get the pine, maybe some resin or pitch type odors and I think they are mixing slightly with the juniper aromas and throwing me off a little. Makes me think of a 2x4 at the Home Depot.

T: Fairly bitter at least at the tail-end, but malty sweet up front and somewhat pungent too.... very interesting, it's good but at the same time I just want to take another sip to wash the taste out of my mouth. It may be the hops here leaving a resiny type flavor, I'm not sure what the hops are.

M: Light, thin, almost leaves a sticky feeling in my mouth and on my lips. It's like it is a little high in unfirmentable sugars, yet it feels light and somewhat thin. I wouldn't call it a double IPA myself, not based on mouthfeel or taste.

Overall I'd probably buy it again, it deserves a second shot, but I'm not sure what I really think of it. I mean it is beer, so it can't really be bad, but there are a lot of good beers out there and I'm not sure this one particularly makes my list. My Wife however digs it.

CHEERS!!!

After reading mfnmbvp's post (I read after I review) I think he hit a particular flavor right on the head: "some coiny metallics" - - - sounds kind of gross, is a little, but it's faint and this descriptions I agree with.

10-28-2013 03:12:16 | More by Distilled
mactrail

Washington

3.19/5  rDev -8.6%

I'm curious what MillerCoors is up to with their craft-like brews, and Blue Moon seems to be their vehicle. Cover all the styles, maybe lighter and sweeter, and you have the bigger market. This is surprisingly bitter, so I guess it's not all softness in Golden, Colorado.

I don't taste the juniper berries, but there is some resiny flavor along with the hoppy bitterness. It just seems there is more bitterness rather than hoppy flavors. Maybe that's were the juniper comes in. And of course they won't reveal the hop ingredients. Some biscuity malt, but quite a thin body. I just don't get much aroma out of this, either. Still, it's quite drinkable.

Considering this is the equivalent of $18 a six pack, it's pretty pricey. Think of the profit margin, even if they sell this 22 oz for $6, as I found at the supermarket. Nor would I call this a double IPA. It's interesting that if you look at the top 100 DIPAs on BeerAdvocate (by number of reviews) there are only two that have alcohol content this low.

06-14-2013 05:19:35 | More by mactrail