Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Blue Moon Pine In The Neck - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Pine In The NeckBlue Moon Pine In The Neck

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: keeganfrank on 02-07-2013

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

on tap at ignite. a juniper infused pale in my opinion, a shortfall as an ipa in many regards. the nose here is the best part, its spruce and pine pitch, really nice, really up front, but the hops never show up in the taste, especially in the finish, where they are needed to back it up. the beer is a clear copper color with a nice fluffy white head with fine retention. the flavor for me lacks the hops to fit the style, but the beer i like quite a lot as it is. i think some of these limited blue moon beers are better than they get credit for being. juniper is a cool ingredient, not easy to use subtly, and i think this does that well. its also sneaky strong, which i dig, but the hops need to be ramped up substantially to make this what it claims to be. good beer though, first new thing i have had from the blue moon line in awhile and i think they have evolved pretty well. this never would have flown ten years ago... (927 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours a very nice dark golden amber color, nice carbonation, with a very nice thick one-finger plus creamy off-white head, which leaves some nice sticky lacing behind. This is where the DIPA stops. The nose is malty sweet, but no hints of hops, pine, or citrus. The taste basically follows the nose, but drinkable. Medium body, with some bitterness in the finish. Overall a very bad brew following the style. This does not even give the masses what a DIPA could even be like. (475 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- Rich amber color and clear. A creamy two finger head leaves moderate lacing.

S- Pine and citrus. Mild malt backbone behind

T- Sweet malts mingle with bitter piney floral hops. In the middle the sweetness diminishes to leave a more powerful hop presence that lingers around.

M- Medium bodied, not overbearing. Good feel without any problems.

O- Not bad. Worth a try but many other better choices in this style. Try it if you haven't but don't go out of the way to get it. (479 characters)

Aroma- pine needles. Slight head.

Color- amber.

Taste- a decent IPA from an otherwise pedestrian brewery. Blue Moon calls this a double IPA but it doesn't reach the level of a double IPA. Starts with a medium to mild pine needle hop start then quickly finishes with a gin-like dryness from the juniper berries. Drinkable but in the crowded market of craft brew, I would not buy this again. 75 IBUs

Poured from 650 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted on 1/25/14 (526 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazed orange color with a white soapy head and lace. Aroma is brightly hoppy, piney, citrusy and herbal. In the taste, pine and herb upfront. Mild bitterness, minimal alcohol. There's a bit of an herbal, gin like finish from the juniper. The beer is front heavy, and a bit thin. Overall, a step in the right direction. (326 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Blue Moon (Graffiti Collection) Pine in the Neck has a very thick, somewhat soapy, off-white head, a deep, golden-orange appearance, bubble streams, lots of sediment roiling about, and heavy lacing left behind. Aroma is of sweet, white bread and piney hop oil. Taste is of all that, with a hefty bitterness that charges forward during the sip. Mouthfeel is medium and slick, and Pine in the Neck finishes mostly dry, refreshing, and exceptionally drinkable. This beer proves, once again, that the major brewers can produce craft beers that can go toe to toe with just about anything on the market. Drinking this, one can understand the insecurity and outright fear that one notices in the rhetoric of the craft breweries. I love it!

RJT (738 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance- copper color, thin head

Smell- piney hops

Taste- piney hops, some malt

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was pretty good. It was one of the better beers Blue Moon has done. Usually I can't stand their beers. This one was tolerable though. (272 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours medium amber with a finger of white head. There are a ton of floaties in this, so I'm not sure if it's a bit old. There's some light floral juniper in the aroma along with light malts and hops. The flavor matches the the smell well - decently refreshing. Flavors work well together, pleasant flavor profile. Medium carbonation with a medium body. This is decent, but given the price is not worth another buy. Interesting name and artwork on the bottle. (458 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

BBD of 03-31-14

Pours an effervescent copper with 2+ fingers of cream colored head. Good head retention with alright lacing

S: Pears & faint medicinal notes, some brown sugar as well.

T: Pineyness & leafy, plus peppery hops up front. Some medicinal notes & pears as this warms, leafy hops as well. Finishes fruity with muted leafy hops

MF: Medium bodied with slight carbonation, okay balance

Drinks okay, but not in love with the hops being used. One & done. Not sure I buy any more of this series, not very interesting (524 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From the 650 ml. bottle stamped on the neck with MAR3114-C210011342. Sampled on November 20, 2013.

It begins with a deep mahogany brown pour with a modest off-white head that erupts at the very end but eventually settles down.

The nose is vibrant with pine trees in a forest and juniper berries. Bready malts too.

The body is medium and quite smooth.

The flavor has a juicy juniper start with a mildly bitter pine and floral finish. Although it is only 7.5% ABV any alcohol is well hidden. Don't write this one off entirely. (528 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured into a New Belgium globe glass.

The beer has a pure deep coppery amber color. A foamy vanilla head recedes to a decent film, and thick splotches of lacing remain on the glass. The aroma is initially all pine and grapefruit, but the subtle note of juniper berry comes out, and it's somewhat like a blueberry note. The taste is more hoppy than anything. Loads of spruce, pine, and citrus rinds. Juniper berry is very subtle. Just subtle enough to be noticed when you think about it. The mouthfeel is a tad sticky.

Overall, I actually dig this brew. I'm a little bit surprised at how much I like it. (606 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into my Samuel Smith's pint glass. Pours a clear amber color with a two finger foamy, white head that dissipates slowly into a cap and leaves good lacing. The juniper berries are so much stronger than anything else, but it is very reminiscent of blueberry pie. Taste has a lot of sweetness from the berries, and it is a bit dry, but a little bit of bitterness is detected on the end. It is a medium bodied beer, and the juniper berries leave behind a long, dry, bold aftertaste.

Overall: Juniper berries dominate, but that's not a bad thing. It is a very interesting beer, but it shouldn't have the IPA label on it. To me, it doesn't matter what else is in this beer, it's a juniper berry beer. (702 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -12.2%

Hmmm... I think I like it...

A: Nice clear copper color, looks real nice. Off-white head, I got about a finger's worth, good retention, clings to the glass. ...made me thirsty straight away....

S: No idea what I'm smelling... I don't really get the pine, maybe some resin or pitch type odors and I think they are mixing slightly with the juniper aromas and throwing me off a little. Makes me think of a 2x4 at the Home Depot.

T: Fairly bitter at least at the tail-end, but malty sweet up front and somewhat pungent too.... very interesting, it's good but at the same time I just want to take another sip to wash the taste out of my mouth. It may be the hops here leaving a resiny type flavor, I'm not sure what the hops are.

M: Light, thin, almost leaves a sticky feeling in my mouth and on my lips. It's like it is a little high in unfirmentable sugars, yet it feels light and somewhat thin. I wouldn't call it a double IPA myself, not based on mouthfeel or taste.

Overall I'd probably buy it again, it deserves a second shot, but I'm not sure what I really think of it. I mean it is beer, so it can't really be bad, but there are a lot of good beers out there and I'm not sure this one particularly makes my list. My Wife however digs it.

CHEERS!!!

After reading mfnmbvp's post (I read after I review) I think he hit a particular flavor right on the head: "some coiny metallics" - - - sounds kind of gross, is a little, but it's faint and this descriptions I agree with. (1,479 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Despite the name, this is a double IPA brewed with juniper berries. Since I'm brewing a juniper heavy red right now, I thought it would be interesting. And Short Straw Farmhouse Ale was an incredible deal from a major brewer.

Anyway, pours very clear, with a red / yellow hue. Actually pretty beautiful, with wonderful lacing. Frankly I'm surprised. Nose is next to non-existent, oddly, it smells like beer. Like, what any wort smells halfway through a clean fermenting yeast process. Kinda let down with the color as nice as it is.

Taste is hardly a double IPA. This would be an IPA or pale from many other breweries. I realize that, yes, it's Blue Moon, but still. It has a wonderfully light presence, with lingering hops and juniper. Hops are somewhat...generic? Not bad, bitter, but not truly standing out as earth vs citrus or tropical vs pine or such. It's just got bitterness. The juniper does stand out, however, and it is a delightful mix that helps make the concoction go down smooth. If there is astringency in juniper it isn't here, and it's a wonderfully refreshing drink.

I can fault Blue Moon for making a beer that is in no way true to style. But they made a beer worth drinking, and that at six bucks is a great way to introduce people to a bit more experimental brews. I like it. (1,300 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle, with best by date of January 27. 2014 printed on the bottleneck. Another new invention from Blue Moon / Coors, part of the Blue Moon "graffiti collection", ooohh boy. I don't know why I keep bothering with these beers, or why I wanted to try this so bad, but I hope these beers turn out to be better than the "Vintage ale collection" was. Expectations are pretty low, but I'm going in unbiased.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Aggressive pour yields about three fingers of fluffy khaki head on top of a coppery burnt orange colored body with decent clarity and some bubbles floating topside. Head has some pretty decent staying power for the high abv, and there are some nice thin sheets of lace. Looks alright, for what it is.

S - First thing that came to mind was dish soap or bathroom stall soap, then some oily pine resins, and a bit of toasted bready malt base. Doesn't exactly smell like much.

T - Taste is a bit better than the smell, but this still isn't exactly what I would expect of a DIPA. Still, for Blue Moon this isn't bad. Thin oily pine resins, grapefruit rind, hop bitterness, green apples, some graininess, dry bready malt, and some coiny metallics. There is still something artificially fruity about this beer that has me scratching my head in wonder, though.

M - Goes down smooth clean and watery, with the typical ideal carbonation. Nice for 7.50% abv. Ends resinous, bitter, and dry.

Overall, this is definitely a step in the right direction for the big boys over at Coors, but it still doesn't taste entirely authentic or perfected. By far one of the best legitimate craft beer offerings from a big time macrobrewery, though. I must admit, it about lived up to my expectations, and I would recommend it for what it is.

Blue Moon Pine In The Neck ---3.5/5 (1,815 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -21.4%

A: Pours a solid looking clear copper color with a dense and foamy cream colored head. Good retention.

S: A bit of a spiced aroma with some pine, citrus rind and something soap like in the back. I get a lot of sweet yeast hanging around here that reminds me a lot of actual Blue Moon.

T: A touch of pine at first that fades into a slightly floral hop bitterness. Finish brings an overpowering malt sweetness that really kills this thing. It shows up with some pine resin, but absolutely mauls the pine resin. Mouthfeel is thin while somehow also feeling sticky and sweet. Coats the mouth after each sip way more than something with this weak of a mouthfeel should. Makes me wonder what's actually in here... Overall, not a horrible brew, but definitely gets killed by the sweetness. (786 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 650 ml bottle into a footed tulip.

A: Amber hue. Pours a half finger, bubbly, white head, which quickly disintegrates. Very slight lacing.

S: Pine resin, pine bark, pine cones, and pine straw. A little grapefruit and honey.

T: Very piney with some woody malt tones, and a hint of butterscotch.

M: Crisp, hoppy, and bitter. Full body. Smooth, yet bitter finish.

D: Sip and enjoy.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Not much of a head, and very little lacing. Nose has a very strong piney character with some wood, citrus, and honey accentuates. Woody, pine hops prevalent, and very slight touch of something sweet. Overall, this is a good quaff. (654 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served in a tulip. Got this from a friend who works for Millercoors.

A: Pours a clear amber color with a short off white head with small amounts of lacing.

S: Hops perdominate, pine needles, hints of mint, wheat, barley

T: Slightly mellow flavor with a massive hop kick in the face at the end. Masks the other flavors, but its pretty sweet at the start.

M: Medium bodied beer with medium carbonation. Crazy hop finish though.

O: This was pretty good, I don't like IPAs so it might be the last time I have this one, but it's not horrible, it's pretty good despite the hop overload. I'd recommend though I wouldn't have it again probably. (644 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Type: 22-oz. bottle
Glass: Firestone restaurant pint glass
From: Vons in Normal Heights (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $5.99 with Vons card
Purchased: June 22, 2013
Consumed: June 22, 2013
Misc.: N/A

Poured a dark caramel amber color with 1-2 fingers of khaki white head. Average amount of circular and uneven lacing on the sides. Above average retention on the top on the way down.

Smelled pine, citrus hops (lime, grapefruit) and floral hops to start, ending with mild skunky resin hops. A little bit of caramel, berries and orange peel.

Tasted not quite what I thought it was going to. Got pine, lime and citrus hops to start. Light floral notes, ending with juniper berries and a lingering bitter finish. A bit off-putting, at least that last part. Reminded me a bit of the mouthwash I am using right now.

Light-to-medium body. Oily-to-creamy texture. Average carbonation. Long, bitter finish.

Just an OK beer overall. I was disappointed and thought it would be better. (975 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'm curious what MillerCoors is up to with their craft-like brews, and Blue Moon seems to be their vehicle. Cover all the styles, maybe lighter and sweeter, and you have the bigger market. This is surprisingly bitter, so I guess it's not all softness in Golden, Colorado.

I don't taste the juniper berries, but there is some resiny flavor along with the hoppy bitterness. It just seems there is more bitterness rather than hoppy flavors. Maybe that's were the juniper comes in. And of course they won't reveal the hop ingredients. Some biscuity malt, but quite a thin body. I just don't get much aroma out of this, either. Still, it's quite drinkable.

Considering this is the equivalent of $18 a six pack, it's pretty pricey. Think of the profit margin, even if they sell this 22 oz for $6, as I found at the supermarket. Nor would I call this a double IPA. It's interesting that if you look at the top 100 DIPAs on BeerAdvocate (by number of reviews) there are only two that have alcohol content this low. (1,010 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Purchased at Tacoma Boys.
Appearance: Beautiful clear orange amber color. Off white head that leaves a thin yet prominent cap, and nice lacing.
Smell: Outstanding. Slightly sweet smelling earthy pine.
Taste. Nice balance. Getting the juniper berries more in the aftertaste, not as heavy as I thought it may be. Fresh woodiness.
Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation and fairly creamy.
Overall: Am always on the lookout for beer with juniper. Best I've found so far but still not quite what I am after as far as the juniper goes. Very surprised by this. Wasn't sure what I'd get with Blue Moon but this is solid in my opinion. (622 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a brilliant deep copper with garnet highlights and a half inch frothy cream head that dissipates somewhat quickly, lacing modest lacing.

Grapefruit, pine, orange peel, and resin form the initial aroma. There's a slight hint of onion and significant amber malt character. Tea-like hops emerge late.

Flavor reveals a powerful grapefruit note underlying a bready, heavily toasted malt backbone, which yields to resiny bitterness at the finish. Nutty notes emerge mid palate. Tropical fruit flavors of mango lime and add a little complexity. Pine surfaces in the aftertaste, along with herbal hops.

Body is moderate to a touch light, with moderate carbonation and slight astringency at the finish. Slightly warming alcohol is present.

Good amount of hop flavoring, albeit not the most complex in character. Enough malt to hold the hop character together, without being sweet, like some examples. Resiny, fairly bitter finish. Malt is a bit overly toasted, and base malt could be bigger. (992 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -17.4%

Every beer gets a chance. This cost me $6.00 at the local Von's grocery store in Los Feliz. 7.5% ABV confirmed. 650ml brown glass bottle with branded twist-off pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average on account of the brewery. "Ale Brewed with Juniper Berries"/"Dobule IPA Brewed with Juniper Berries." Best before September 2nd, 2013.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and pretty good (~4-5 minute) retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a clear transparent translucent amber. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Uneven inconsistent lacing as the head recedes. Pretty typical of the style; I expected it to look worse. there's nothing unique or special here, but there are no overt flaws.

Sm: Piney hop character, floral hops, caramel, and biscuity malts. Not too much sweetness, but little hop character for the style. It's not particularly evocative, but it's generally appealing. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Light citrus. I guess there's light berry when I really look for it, but I wouldn't have gotten that blind. A mild strength aroma. Pleasant and inoffensive.

T: Hm. Some light piney hop notes joined by a strange berry character with some artificial sweetness. Pale, caramel, and biscuit malts comprise the simple body. Some floral hop character. Light citrus. It's painfully simple, but it's more balanced than many Imperial IPAs I've tried. The berry isn't doing much for it; I think that's mainly a gimmick. Still, it's not a bad brew. Bland and boring - yes - but not bad. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Pretty generic. Smooth, wet, sticky. Overcarbonated. Decent thickness. Not soft enough. Adequate body. Average presence on the palate. There's nothing unique or special about the execution. Suits the flavour profile in a general sense.

Dr: This one will take a lot of flack from reviewers mainly because of the brewery, but it's really not any worse or better than your run of the mill micro IPA. The price point is horrid for the low quality, but I knew that going in - and I'm willing to bet this is more consistent than most craft IPAs. I wouldn't get it again unless it was the best option at a dive bar or something, but it'll satisfy fans of the style. I foresee a lot of fun could be had with beeradvocates throwing this into a blind imperial IPA tasting. As average as they come.

Low C (2,539 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear dark amber colored beer it is decidedly red. Small tan colored head that doesn't last.

Smell is clearly very strong hops. Big grapefruit aroma with some wood and strong tea. Eucalyptus tree and faint caramel with a faint cinnamon scent.

Starts out malty and stoutly bitter. Good citrus fruit flavor mostly bitter orange.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall not bad for the price. Not a favorite but it is affordable. (417 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +18.3%

AKA Beerfest Ale, the official beer of Cincinnati Beerfest 2013. Tea-colored ale with a tan foamy head. Aromas of biscuit and citrus. Has a sweet citrus and citrus rind flavor with notes of yeasty biscuit and something like raisins. Has a medium-weight, smooth body and very little bite from the hops. (301 characters)

Blue Moon Pine In The Neck from Coors Brewing Company