Blue Moon Pine In The Neck - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Pine In The NeckBlue Moon Pine In The Neck

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: keeganfrank on 02-07-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.49/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From the 650 ml. bottle stamped on the neck with MAR3114-C210011342. Sampled on November 20, 2013.

It begins with a deep mahogany brown pour with a modest off-white head that erupts at the very end but eventually settles down.

The nose is vibrant with pine trees in a forest and juniper berries. Bready malts too.

The body is medium and quite smooth.

The flavor has a juicy juniper start with a mildly bitter pine and floral finish. Although it is only 7.5% ABV any alcohol is well hidden. Don't write this one off entirely.

11-20-2013 22:58:15 | More by puboflyons

11-03-2013 03:18:19 | More by Zuidman
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

3.94/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured into a New Belgium globe glass.

The beer has a pure deep coppery amber color. A foamy vanilla head recedes to a decent film, and thick splotches of lacing remain on the glass. The aroma is initially all pine and grapefruit, but the subtle note of juniper berry comes out, and it's somewhat like a blueberry note. The taste is more hoppy than anything. Loads of spruce, pine, and citrus rinds. Juniper berry is very subtle. Just subtle enough to be noticed when you think about it. The mouthfeel is a tad sticky.

Overall, I actually dig this brew. I'm a little bit surprised at how much I like it.

11-03-2013 01:55:20 | More by JuicesFlowing
Azpittil57

11-02-2013 23:12:21 | More by Azpittil57
offthelevel_bytheplumb

3.68/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into my Samuel Smith's pint glass. Pours a clear amber color with a two finger foamy, white head that dissipates slowly into a cap and leaves good lacing. The juniper berries are so much stronger than anything else, but it is very reminiscent of blueberry pie. Taste has a lot of sweetness from the berries, and it is a bit dry, but a little bit of bitterness is detected on the end. It is a medium bodied beer, and the juniper berries leave behind a long, dry, bold aftertaste.

Overall: Juniper berries dominate, but that's not a bad thing. It is a very interesting beer, but it shouldn't have the IPA label on it. To me, it doesn't matter what else is in this beer, it's a juniper berry beer.

10-28-2013 23:47:37 | More by offthelevel_bytheplumb
Distilled

Oregon

3.01/5  rDev -13.5%

Hmmm... I think I like it...

A: Nice clear copper color, looks real nice. Off-white head, I got about a finger's worth, good retention, clings to the glass. ...made me thirsty straight away....

S: No idea what I'm smelling... I don't really get the pine, maybe some resin or pitch type odors and I think they are mixing slightly with the juniper aromas and throwing me off a little. Makes me think of a 2x4 at the Home Depot.

T: Fairly bitter at least at the tail-end, but malty sweet up front and somewhat pungent too.... very interesting, it's good but at the same time I just want to take another sip to wash the taste out of my mouth. It may be the hops here leaving a resiny type flavor, I'm not sure what the hops are.

M: Light, thin, almost leaves a sticky feeling in my mouth and on my lips. It's like it is a little high in unfirmentable sugars, yet it feels light and somewhat thin. I wouldn't call it a double IPA myself, not based on mouthfeel or taste.

Overall I'd probably buy it again, it deserves a second shot, but I'm not sure what I really think of it. I mean it is beer, so it can't really be bad, but there are a lot of good beers out there and I'm not sure this one particularly makes my list. My Wife however digs it.

CHEERS!!!

After reading mfnmbvp's post (I read after I review) I think he hit a particular flavor right on the head: "some coiny metallics" - - - sounds kind of gross, is a little, but it's faint and this descriptions I agree with.

10-28-2013 03:12:16 | More by Distilled

VincentFrey

Maryland

3.3/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Despite the name, this is a double IPA brewed with juniper berries. Since I'm brewing a juniper heavy red right now, I thought it would be interesting. And Short Straw Farmhouse Ale was an incredible deal from a major brewer.

Anyway, pours very clear, with a red / yellow hue. Actually pretty beautiful, with wonderful lacing. Frankly I'm surprised. Nose is next to non-existent, oddly, it smells like beer. Like, what any wort smells halfway through a clean fermenting yeast process. Kinda let down with the color as nice as it is.

Taste is hardly a double IPA. This would be an IPA or pale from many other breweries. I realize that, yes, it's Blue Moon, but still. It has a wonderfully light presence, with lingering hops and juniper. Hops are somewhat...generic? Not bad, bitter, but not truly standing out as earth vs citrus or tropical vs pine or such. It's just got bitterness. The juniper does stand out, however, and it is a delightful mix that helps make the concoction go down smooth. If there is astringency in juniper it isn't here, and it's a wonderfully refreshing drink.

I can fault Blue Moon for making a beer that is in no way true to style. But they made a beer worth drinking, and that at six bucks is a great way to introduce people to a bit more experimental brews. I like it.

10-06-2013 20:15:54 | More by VincentFrey
mfnmbvp

3.4/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle, with best by date of January 27. 2014 printed on the bottleneck. Another new invention from Blue Moon / Coors, part of the Blue Moon "graffiti collection", ooohh boy. I don't know why I keep bothering with these beers, or why I wanted to try this so bad, but I hope these beers turn out to be better than the "Vintage ale collection" was. Expectations are pretty low, but I'm going in unbiased.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Aggressive pour yields about three fingers of fluffy khaki head on top of a coppery burnt orange colored body with decent clarity and some bubbles floating topside. Head has some pretty decent staying power for the high abv, and there are some nice thin sheets of lace. Looks alright, for what it is.

S - First thing that came to mind was dish soap or bathroom stall soap, then some oily pine resins, and a bit of toasted bready malt base. Doesn't exactly smell like much.

T - Taste is a bit better than the smell, but this still isn't exactly what I would expect of a DIPA. Still, for Blue Moon this isn't bad. Thin oily pine resins, grapefruit rind, hop bitterness, green apples, some graininess, dry bready malt, and some coiny metallics. There is still something artificially fruity about this beer that has me scratching my head in wonder, though.

M - Goes down smooth clean and watery, with the typical ideal carbonation. Nice for 7.50% abv. Ends resinous, bitter, and dry.

Overall, this is definitely a step in the right direction for the big boys over at Coors, but it still doesn't taste entirely authentic or perfected. By far one of the best legitimate craft beer offerings from a big time macrobrewery, though. I must admit, it about lived up to my expectations, and I would recommend it for what it is.

Blue Moon Pine In The Neck ---3.5/5

10-05-2013 23:31:57 | More by mfnmbvp
dpage27

10-03-2013 20:06:57 | More by dpage27
ThisMoonlife

10-02-2013 01:53:29 | More by ThisMoonlife
notchucknorris

2.68/5  rDev -23%

A: Pours a solid looking clear copper color with a dense and foamy cream colored head. Good retention.

S: A bit of a spiced aroma with some pine, citrus rind and something soap like in the back. I get a lot of sweet yeast hanging around here that reminds me a lot of actual Blue Moon.

T: A touch of pine at first that fades into a slightly floral hop bitterness. Finish brings an overpowering malt sweetness that really kills this thing. It shows up with some pine resin, but absolutely mauls the pine resin. Mouthfeel is thin while somehow also feeling sticky and sweet. Coats the mouth after each sip way more than something with this weak of a mouthfeel should. Makes me wonder what's actually in here... Overall, not a horrible brew, but definitely gets killed by the sweetness.

10-01-2013 02:11:36 | More by notchucknorris