George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
jlkuhns

New Hampshire

11-22-2011 00:49:05 | More by jski
Rddymk

Indiana

Had seen and heard of this lager for many years, but was never inclined to buy it. Finally bought 12 pack for $8.99 at my local Meijer. OMG!!!
I have found my next favorite beer. This was creamy, thick and hearty. No ting of heavy larger taste and overhang. Smooth, malty and absolutely incredibly drinkable. Will savor this forever and ever. Wish I would have found this delight earlier in my beer drinking career.

12-17-2008 03:58:28 | More by Rddymk

OzmanBey

02-02-2014 12:53:46 | More by OzmanBey
the3rdtriumph

4.85/5  rDev +60.1%

I usually have this in a bottle, but some restaurants in town have this on tap. The bottle is good but the tap is my review:
So damn good tasting. This is a dinner beer. Steak or wings go well with this darker beer. Lots of carmelly roasted smell. Roasted something when tasting, can't quite put my finger on it but damn it's good. This was my first venture into beer that wasn't piss yellow. Very good overall, would recommend starting here before you venture into craft beer. A friend did so for me and I thought it was a nice transition into some new stuff from your boring Bud Light.

03-15-2013 12:14:09 | More by the3rdtriumph
OverToad

4.85/5  rDev +60.1%

I tried this one out at my local T.G.I Friday's.

Beer was on tap and was served in a pilsner glass.

Color was a beautiful red color with a 0ne inch head.

The smell is very nice. Nothing overpowers anything in the beer.

I must admit this is a great tasting beer. very well balanced.

Very crisp taste with a dry finish.

This is one of my favorite beer

09-07-2008 18:45:19 | More by OverToad
michaelleepemberton

Kentucky

4.75/5  rDev +56.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

[Please note: Phenylthiocarbamide (PTC), discovered in 1931, "has the unusual property that it either tastes (salty), very bitter, or is virtually tasteless, depending on the genetic makeup of the taster" and the threshhold of the chemical's concentration and potency. "The ability to taste PTC is a dominant genetic trait, and the test to determine PTC sensitivity is commonly used in genetic tests on humans" and other primates. "The genetic correlation was so strong that it was used in paternity tests before the advent of DNA matching. "One study has found that non-smokers and those not habituated to coffee or tea have a statistically higher percentage of tasting PTC than the general population", which implies that many people who smoke tobacco and drink coffee cannot readily detect PTC and related compounds. PTC "does not occur in food, but related chemicals do", which accounts for our choices in food and drink. I am unable to taste PTC at all in low to moderately high concentrations. PTC is toxic in very high concentrations. "In 1976, a remarkable inverse relationship between taster status for PTC and for a bitter component of the fruit of the tree Antidesma bunius was discovered. Antidesma bunius is a species of fruit tree native to Southeast Asia and northern Australia. Its common names include Queensland-cherry, wild cherry, and currant tree." The fruit is edible and is commonly processed into a jam for consumption.] With the aforementioned information in mind, an affinity for one beer over another is unavoidable, almost genetic, so "to each his own" beer and opinion. Again, I have a very high threshold for PTC and related compounds.

When it comes to beer, I happen to have enjoyed Ba Moui Ba, a Vietnamese beer preserved with .01% formaldehyde. I also enjoyed German wheat beer (weizenbier), those containing yeast (hefeweizen), and the dark beer (dunklebier). I have very fond memories from my U.S.Air Force days spent in Colorado of Coors unpasturized. MillerCoors Icehouse is still very palatable to me. However, my all time favorite, either with food or all on its own, is the Coors "George Killian's" Irish Red beer. It is the only beer I have ever tasted that did not offend my palate, even while consuming food. I routinely stock other brands for guests, but I prefer "GK" to any other beer on the market. It may seem that I have a Coors "hang-up", but I assure you that I had no idea that Coors produced "GK" until I researched "GK" today. Other beer products taste bitter to me and leave an aftertaste.

I have consumed copious amounts of various foreign and domestic brewery products in my lifetime; especially during my career in the US Air Force from 1968-1972, the Canadian Forces (Reserve) 1980-1984, and the US Army from 1984-1998. I have spent twelve years in Canada, five years in Germany, two years in Korea, and a year in Viet-Nam, in addition to my years in the continental US, sampling beer. I do not usually drink more than two bottles or cans at one sitting. (No, that's not because I have to empty my bladder after every two beers and change seats at the bar upon returning.) I have not been thoroughly intoxicated since I had an OD on rum and cola in 1969. I view drinking alcoholic beverages as relaxing, pleasant, and even enjoyable. George Killian's Irish Red is my first choice, and if an establishment does not stock it I frequently order tonic water or I go elsewhere.

06-28-2014 19:52:38 | More by michaelleepemberton

Badfeesh

07-13-2012 01:01:13 | More by Badfeesh
HUXC

4.72/5  rDev +55.8%

S- Served on-tap from a bar into a pint glass.

A- A beautiful dark amber color with red undertones, about a fingers worth of off white head that laces nicely on the brim of the glass.

S- Has a sweet malted aroma.

T- Delicious taste of sweet malt, almost a bit of a honey finish.

M- Not a whole lot of carbonation, full bodied Irish red ale.

D- Very easy to drink. I can drink this stuff all day long. Would buy it over and over.

10-06-2010 15:26:49 | More by HUXC
nofalltoofar

4.7/5  rDev +55.1%

A: Very pretty red. Like an Irish setter. Like blood-tinged honey. Like the blushing cheeks of your first college sweetheart.

S: Delicious, dark, oats, caramel.

T: Crisp and sweet, strong oats presence, some wheat. Delicious caramel tones are extremely present. Almost honey-ish taste.

M: Again, crisp. A little tingly. Smooth as it goes down. Not too oily or too dry. Perfect carbonation.

From the first sip, this beer knocked me off my chair. It is the most drinkable beer I've ever had. It's perfect, beautiful, and simply refreshing even in the dead of summer. For the moderate complexity of the taste, this is one red haired Irish girl we can all get along with.

07-20-2012 23:28:22 | More by nofalltoofar
kegbeerman

Louisiana

4.55/5  rDev +50.2%

On-Tap is the way to go with beer. Bottles take away from the smell,and the appearance. A pint of Killian's has a drink ability of a light beer but the respect of an amber beer. The smell of a good amber draught makes may tong jump out my mouth like a dog drinking water.

11-17-2009 14:14:49 | More by kegbeerman