1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,174 | Reviews: 777 | Show All Ratings:
Rddymk

Indiana

Had seen and heard of this lager for many years, but was never inclined to buy it. Finally bought 12 pack for $8.99 at my local Meijer. OMG!!!
I have found my next favorite beer. This was creamy, thick and hearty. No ting of heavy larger taste and overhang. Smooth, malty and absolutely incredibly drinkable. Will savor this forever and ever. Wish I would have found this delight earlier in my beer drinking career.

12-17-2008 03:58:28 | More by Rddymk
OverToad

4.85/5  rDev +59.5%

I tried this one out at my local T.G.I Friday's.

Beer was on tap and was served in a pilsner glass.

Color was a beautiful red color with a 0ne inch head.

The smell is very nice. Nothing overpowers anything in the beer.

I must admit this is a great tasting beer. very well balanced.

Very crisp taste with a dry finish.

This is one of my favorite beer

09-07-2008 18:45:19 | More by OverToad
the3rdtriumph

4.85/5  rDev +59.5%

I usually have this in a bottle, but some restaurants in town have this on tap. The bottle is good but the tap is my review:
So damn good tasting. This is a dinner beer. Steak or wings go well with this darker beer. Lots of carmelly roasted smell. Roasted something when tasting, can't quite put my finger on it but damn it's good. This was my first venture into beer that wasn't piss yellow. Very good overall, would recommend starting here before you venture into craft beer. A friend did so for me and I thought it was a nice transition into some new stuff from your boring Bud Light.

03-15-2013 12:14:09 | More by the3rdtriumph
HUXC

4.72/5  rDev +55.3%

S- Served on-tap from a bar into a pint glass.

A- A beautiful dark amber color with red undertones, about a fingers worth of off white head that laces nicely on the brim of the glass.

S- Has a sweet malted aroma.

T- Delicious taste of sweet malt, almost a bit of a honey finish.

M- Not a whole lot of carbonation, full bodied Irish red ale.

D- Very easy to drink. I can drink this stuff all day long. Would buy it over and over.

10-06-2010 15:26:49 | More by HUXC
nofalltoofar

4.7/5  rDev +54.6%

A: Very pretty red. Like an Irish setter. Like blood-tinged honey. Like the blushing cheeks of your first college sweetheart.

S: Delicious, dark, oats, caramel.

T: Crisp and sweet, strong oats presence, some wheat. Delicious caramel tones are extremely present. Almost honey-ish taste.

M: Again, crisp. A little tingly. Smooth as it goes down. Not too oily or too dry. Perfect carbonation.

From the first sip, this beer knocked me off my chair. It is the most drinkable beer I've ever had. It's perfect, beautiful, and simply refreshing even in the dead of summer. For the moderate complexity of the taste, this is one red haired Irish girl we can all get along with.

07-20-2012 23:28:22 | More by nofalltoofar
kegbeerman

Louisiana

4.55/5  rDev +49.7%

On-Tap is the way to go with beer. Bottles take away from the smell,and the appearance. A pint of Killian's has a drink ability of a light beer but the respect of an amber beer. The smell of a good amber draught makes may tong jump out my mouth like a dog drinking water.

11-17-2009 14:14:49 | More by kegbeerman
netrioter

4.5/5  rDev +48%

had this on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings....paired great with pretty much anything ive ever eaten....i rank this as one of the best beers to have with food...Miller High Life is up there too.

This is also excellent out of a 12oz bottle at home..a solid 4+ store bought beer....great with food but not a session beer past a 6 pack...this beer is a bit thick and gassy at times and itll fill you up with no room to catch a buzz because you have to stop because youre full,a way around this is to glass it to remove carbonation....flavor is excellent regardless.

07-20-2012 09:45:44 | More by netrioter
BeerNewbs

4.46/5  rDev +46.7%

It is now second nature to me, when I see Killian's Irish Red in a store I immediately purchase it. A straight forward, easy drinking toasted lager with a hint of caramel and spices. It pours red, like its name, but does lack in head. Regardless, this is my go-to, relaxing brew, for any night of the week.

11-01-2013 21:32:22 | More by BeerNewbs
jdspears41

Kentucky

4.4/5  rDev +44.7%

I have had this in the bottle many times but had it on draft for the first time to other night. It is a must order if you see it on draft.

A- Beautiful color, it is a red tint with a nice head on top.

S-Its a great smell of hops and makes you want to drink it.

T-Excellent tastes with a better aftertaste. Its a beer that your never forget the taste of for good reason.

M- Carbonation is strong, sometimes too strong, but not overbearing.

D- Great, its not too dark where if you drink too you feel sick. A six pack will make you have a great buzz but you wont be sloppy drunk. I love this beer and drink it all the time, especially if its on draft.

02-17-2011 19:58:26 | More by jdspears41
Jerdmier

4.38/5  rDev +44.1%

This is my first review. Hope it goes good. First had this back in 1989 in Denver. Couldn't find it back home in Illinois until '91/'92. My first beer outside the normal "mass-produced" lite beers. It's been my favorite since. Though the smell doesn't set my nostrils raging, the color is very inviting. When poured right, a nice thick head is produced with staying power. This is a beer I always go back for when there isn't a micro that is catching my eye. I believe this is a great beer to introduce to the rookie that has decided to venture forth and try something that isn't found on TV commercials. I have introduced this to several friends and now they are fans of the "going outside the norm".

03-20-2010 02:57:26 | More by Jerdmier
steanu

4.35/5  rDev +43.1%

I did not really get a look at the BEER itself because I just drank it out of the bottle. It's got a nice smell to it and it's got a nice even taste. It's not too strong, not too weak either. It also does not have an aftertaste nor is it harsh on the mouth. It's an exceptional beer and it is very refreshing.

06-06-2009 05:00:31 | More by steanu
ericsdawson

4.3/5  rDev +41.4%

1 finger of off white head, vanishes quickly. amber color. smells of caramel and malt, not much hop aroma at all. tastes sweet and malty little bit of bitterness. very smooth. mouthfeel is slightly thin. nothing too special, but it is one of those beers that i could drink a couple cases of.

Serving type: can

07-26-2005 16:52:57 | More by ericsdawson
manofmanners

Connecticut

4.18/5  rDev +37.5%

Now many people think that Killians is actually from Ireland so they oreder it thinking they are drinking a Irish beer. Now I have had Killians from the bottle also, and like most beers it is much better form the tap. It has a beautiful dark red hue, which has a almost pure white head at times. It goes down very smooth, and is not that heavy. It will not fell you up, so if your not careful you can drink too much. I like it a lot, and if your on a buget and want a decent fake import fo for a Killian's.

02-09-2004 19:10:15 | More by manofmanners
ozzyfan97

North Dakota

4.15/5  rDev +36.5%

This happens to be one of my favorite all time beers.
Appearance: Nice medium light red color.
Smell: N/A
Taste: Well carbonated and a little watery.
Mouthfeel: Watery
Drinkability: Easy going down!
So I recommend that if you are strapped for some cash and you want to enjoy a beer go ahead and enjoy a Irish Red beer. Not to mention its perfect for St. Patricks Day!! Oh yeah!!

05-03-2006 07:45:15 | More by ozzyfan97
scratch69

Missouri

4.15/5  rDev +36.5%

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Deep copper red with a two finger head. Decent amount of foamy lacing.

Smell- Malty and slightly nutty.

Taste- Mildly sweet malt with caramel and nutty notes.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied and smooth. Nice carbonation and slightly dry at the finish.

Overall- I really enjoy this beer. I think the only reason some of the beer snobs don't is because it is made by Coors.

03-16-2012 20:09:00 | More by scratch69
telecaster54

4.13/5  rDev +35.9%

I have really come to enjoy this beer, even more so as time goes on. It has a deeper color and flavor compared with other macros, yet it's still drinkable. The price isn't bad either. With this beer, you get a mild, yet decent tasting version of the European varieties, but without that damned skunkiness you often get with those brews. It has a slightly sweet flavor, yet it's not overpowering. I can drink one and be happy, or I can drink many more without any ill effects. To me, it seems that Coors actually put some effort into making this beer stand out from other mass produced beers.

08-09-2005 16:03:34 | More by telecaster54
Lauthaha

4.13/5  rDev +35.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: Beer is an auburn color with some definite tendencies towards gold. Fairly decent carbonation, and a head that lasts only momentarily, but looks good while it lasts. Head is just off-white.

Smell: I really, really like Killian's. There's a malt sweetness with just a touch of dark purple fruits (near-raisin-bread) and then, just a touch of grassy hop flavor to even it out. For a "popular" beer, this one actually holds its ground.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer is lightly carbonated (and the bubbles come on slow) giving you lots of time to savor the flavor. Slightly spiced (peppercorn, nutmeg/cinnamon) and lightly hopped (grassy), the real beauty here is the bready malt character that takes hold once the carbonation sets in. As beer warms, more of that sweetness shines through. Aftertaste is clean and crisp...mostly dry. Light malt.

Overall: Among its contemporaries (Budweiser, Coors, et cetera) this perennial favorite of the pubs and plazas has a special place in the hearts of those who remember that drinking beer doesn't have to be about "whatever gets you drunk." This popular brew actually has some substance to back it up.

*Note: I realize Coors owns the Killian's brand...my reference to "Coors" above is speaking of "Coors Banquet Beer."

07-28-2011 02:19:02 | More by Lauthaha
7thInningSuds

4.1/5  rDev +34.9%

A - Looked good.

S - Smelled good.

T - Good balanced beer. Not as much hop presence as I thought would be there.

M - Good.

D - Tried a 12-pack of these for my first Irish Red. Not disappointed. Will keep these in the beer fridge from time to time.

05-11-2010 02:03:37 | More by 7thInningSuds
bighops

Tennessee

4.08/5  rDev +34.2%

Ok, Killian's is my old goto beer. I've drank a /lot/ of this just because it's good all around. In fact, this beer is what drew me into the love of beer in general. So I had to review it. Nice red color when poured, but it's great straight from the bottle. It compliments just about any meal very well. It has a smooth, unassuming flavor, easy carbonation and just enough sweetness to make it a nice drink. I can put these down by the bottle or six pack, depending on what's needed at the time. Definately a good all-purpose beer.

11-01-2003 02:42:02 | More by bighops
IrishRacer

4.05/5  rDev +33.2%

This is my beer of choice when dining out, especially with a thick rib-eye steak on my plate. A tall glass provides the color I compare all others to, and the (usually) half-inch head is the light carmel color I so adore. The aftertaste doesn't take away from my meal, yet is strong enough to give my tastebuds satisfaction. The slightly sweet flavors are a wonderful counter to the smokey steak. It is a bit thinner than the bottled versions, however, and possibly even slightly lower in alcohol content. Still, it's my choice whenever it's available on tap!

02-10-2009 05:01:10 | More by IrishRacer
assmandugle

4.05/5  rDev +33.2%

From a bottle into a pint glass. It pours a light red color almost orange like. It has a smallish head something predictable from Coors brewing. Has the typical coors scent to it but a little more deeper. It has a darker taste then most coors products. It has about the same after taste of coors banquet. It goes down smooth a beer I grew up with I love it. It is my safety beer. I recommend it to everyone especially around st. pattys day.

02-06-2011 06:42:26 | More by assmandugle
NODAK

Tennessee

4.03/5  rDev +32.6%

Aroma is of a creamy maltiness...a bit of caramel and toastiness perhaps in there. Pretty smooth and nice.

Taste is, not surprisingly, rather malty. Taste is mostly of a nice, buttery sweet malt. Not very heavy, but not extremely light. It's like they took a bit of caramel, made it somewhat thin, and put some sweet cream in there. It's actually pretty tasty, and probably one of the best beers any macro producer puts out there. This is one of the few beers that isn't a disaster from them. Make no mistake though, it won't be confused with a high quality import.

The verdict on this beer is that it'd make a good fall back or session beer. If you go in not expecting to have your face blown off, you may be surprised.

10-23-2010 01:04:04 | More by NODAK
lanechaffin

4.03/5  rDev +32.6%

Reddish color as the name suggests. Not overly flavorful, but kind of bold maybe. I was expecting a little more taste, but overall I found this to be a satisfying brew. Has a little different finish than most beers I've drank. Its pretty good, I think I paid $6.77 for 6 at Wal-mart - cap is real, not twist off.

01-23-2011 00:28:45 | More by lanechaffin
evanackerman

0k, this beer really surprised me, being from Coor's i expected something only mildly drinkable, I was wrong. Beer is a very nice red color with a sizable head that leaves plenty of lacing.

aroma is of caramel and toasty malt.

flavor is nice tosty malt up front followed by a mild hop presence.

mouthfeel is just right for the style, medium viscosity, well carbonated.

overall, i couldn't really find anything wrong with this beer, it is pretty good actually, and easy to drink. i will have again when i'm at a restaurant with limited options.

05-11-2006 02:43:48 | More by evanackerman
JesseP09

I like this beer a lot. It is the closest to craft macrobrews can get in my opinion. It has a rich, but not too strong flavor, and goes down smooth and easy. Personally I would drink this over just about any other macro on the market, and I can't say anything negative about this beer.

03-05-2009 15:27:59 | More by JesseP09