George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 808 | Hads: 2,786

Had seen and heard of this lager for many years, but was never inclined to buy it. Finally bought 12 pack for $8.99 at my local Meijer. OMG!!!
I have found my next favorite beer. This was creamy, thick and hearty. No ting of heavy larger taste and overhang. Smooth, malty and absolutely incredibly drinkable. Will savor this forever and ever. Wish I would have found this delight earlier in my beer drinking career. (415 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +59%

I usually have this in a bottle, but some restaurants in town have this on tap. The bottle is good but the tap is my review:
So damn good tasting. This is a dinner beer. Steak or wings go well with this darker beer. Lots of carmelly roasted smell. Roasted something when tasting, can't quite put my finger on it but damn it's good. This was my first venture into beer that wasn't piss yellow. Very good overall, would recommend starting here before you venture into craft beer. A friend did so for me and I thought it was a nice transition into some new stuff from your boring Bud Light. (587 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +58.4%

I tried this one out at my local T.G.I Friday's.

Beer was on tap and was served in a pilsner glass.

Color was a beautiful red color with a 0ne inch head.

The smell is very nice. Nothing overpowers anything in the beer.

I must admit this is a great tasting beer. very well balanced.

Very crisp taste with a dry finish.

This is one of my favorite beer (356 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +55.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

[Please note: Phenylthiocarbamide (PTC), discovered in 1931, "has the unusual property that it either tastes (salty), very bitter, or is virtually tasteless, depending on the genetic makeup of the taster" and the threshhold of the chemical's concentration and potency. "The ability to taste PTC is a dominant genetic trait, and the test to determine PTC sensitivity is commonly used in genetic tests on humans" and other primates. "The genetic correlation was so strong that it was used in paternity tests before the advent of DNA matching. "One study has found that non-smokers and those not habituated to coffee or tea have a statistically higher percentage of tasting PTC than the general population", which implies that many people who smoke tobacco and drink coffee cannot readily detect PTC and related compounds. PTC "does not occur in food, but related chemicals do", which accounts for our choices in food and drink. I am unable to taste PTC at all in low to moderately high concentrations. PTC is toxic in very high concentrations. "In 1976, a remarkable inverse relationship between taster status for PTC and for a bitter component of the fruit of the tree Antidesma bunius was discovered. Antidesma bunius is a species of fruit tree native to Southeast Asia and northern Australia. Its common names include Queensland-cherry, wild cherry, and currant tree." The fruit is edible and is commonly processed into a jam for consumption.] With the aforementioned information in mind, an affinity for one beer over another is unavoidable, almost genetic, so "to each his own" beer and opinion. Again, I have a very high threshold for PTC and related compounds.

When it comes to beer, I happen to have enjoyed Ba Moui Ba, a Vietnamese beer preserved with .01% formaldehyde. I also enjoyed German wheat beer (weizenbier), those containing yeast (hefeweizen), and the dark beer (dunklebier). I have very fond memories from my U.S.Air Force days spent in Colorado of Coors unpasturized. MillerCoors Icehouse is still very palatable to me. However, my all time favorite, either with food or all on its own, is the Coors "George Killian's" Irish Red beer. It is the only beer I have ever tasted that did not offend my palate, even while consuming food. I routinely stock other brands for guests, but I prefer "GK" to any other beer on the market. It may seem that I have a Coors "hang-up", but I assure you that I had no idea that Coors produced "GK" until I researched "GK" today. Other beer products taste bitter to me and leave an aftertaste.

I have consumed copious amounts of various foreign and domestic brewery products in my lifetime; especially during my career in the US Air Force from 1968-1972, the Canadian Forces (Reserve) 1980-1984, and the US Army from 1984-1998. I have spent twelve years in Canada, five years in Germany, two years in Korea, and a year in Viet-Nam, in addition to my years in the continental US, sampling beer. I do not usually drink more than two bottles or cans at one sitting. (No, that's not because I have to empty my bladder after every two beers and change seats at the bar upon returning.) I have not been thoroughly intoxicated since I had an OD on rum and cola in 1969. I view drinking alcoholic beverages as relaxing, pleasant, and even enjoyable. George Killian's Irish Red is my first choice, and if an establishment does not stock it I frequently order tonic water or I go elsewhere. (3,433 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +53.4%

S- Served on-tap from a bar into a pint glass.

A- A beautiful dark amber color with red undertones, about a fingers worth of off white head that laces nicely on the brim of the glass.

S- Has a sweet malted aroma.

T- Delicious taste of sweet malt, almost a bit of a honey finish.

M- Not a whole lot of carbonation, full bodied Irish red ale.

D- Very easy to drink. I can drink this stuff all day long. Would buy it over and over. (433 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +52.5%

A: Very pretty red. Like an Irish setter. Like blood-tinged honey. Like the blushing cheeks of your first college sweetheart.

S: Delicious, dark, oats, caramel.

T: Crisp and sweet, strong oats presence, some wheat. Delicious caramel tones are extremely present. Almost honey-ish taste.

M: Again, crisp. A little tingly. Smooth as it goes down. Not too oily or too dry. Perfect carbonation.

From the first sip, this beer knocked me off my chair. It is the most drinkable beer I've ever had. It's perfect, beautiful, and simply refreshing even in the dead of summer. For the moderate complexity of the taste, this is one red haired Irish girl we can all get along with. (671 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +49.2%

On-Tap is the way to go with beer. Bottles take away from the smell,and the appearance. A pint of Killian's has a drink ability of a light beer but the respect of an amber beer. The smell of a good amber draught makes may tong jump out my mouth like a dog drinking water. (271 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +47.5%

had this on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings....paired great with pretty much anything ive ever eaten....i rank this as one of the best beers to have with food...Miller High Life is up there too.

This is also excellent out of a 12oz bottle at home..a solid 4+ store bought beer....great with food but not a session beer past a 6 pack...this beer is a bit thick and gassy at times and itll fill you up with no room to catch a buzz because you have to stop because youre full,a way around this is to glass it to remove carbonation....flavor is excellent regardless. (557 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +45.9%

It is now second nature to me, when I see Killian's Irish Red in a store I immediately purchase it. A straight forward, easy drinking toasted lager with a hint of caramel and spices. It pours red, like its name, but does lack in head. Regardless, this is my go-to, relaxing brew, for any night of the week. (306 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +43.3%

I did not really get a look at the BEER itself because I just drank it out of the bottle. It's got a nice smell to it and it's got a nice even taste. It's not too strong, not too weak either. It also does not have an aftertaste nor is it harsh on the mouth. It's an exceptional beer and it is very refreshing. (309 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +42.6%

I have had this in the bottle many times but had it on draft for the first time to other night. It is a must order if you see it on draft.

A- Beautiful color, it is a red tint with a nice head on top.

S-Its a great smell of hops and makes you want to drink it.

T-Excellent tastes with a better aftertaste. Its a beer that your never forget the taste of for good reason.

M- Carbonation is strong, sometimes too strong, but not overbearing.

D- Great, its not too dark where if you drink too you feel sick. A six pack will make you have a great buzz but you wont be sloppy drunk. I love this beer and drink it all the time, especially if its on draft. (653 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +42.3%

This is my first review. Hope it goes good. First had this back in 1989 in Denver. Couldn't find it back home in Illinois until '91/'92. My first beer outside the normal "mass-produced" lite beers. It's been my favorite since. Though the smell doesn't set my nostrils raging, the color is very inviting. When poured right, a nice thick head is produced with staying power. This is a beer I always go back for when there isn't a micro that is catching my eye. I believe this is a great beer to introduce to the rookie that has decided to venture forth and try something that isn't found on TV commercials. I have introduced this to several friends and now they are fans of the "going outside the norm". (701 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +40%

1 finger of off white head, vanishes quickly. amber color. smells of caramel and malt, not much hop aroma at all. tastes sweet and malty little bit of bitterness. very smooth. mouthfeel is slightly thin. nothing too special, but it is one of those beers that i could drink a couple cases of. (291 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +35.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: Beer is an auburn color with some definite tendencies towards gold. Fairly decent carbonation, and a head that lasts only momentarily, but looks good while it lasts. Head is just off-white.

Smell: I really, really like Killian's. There's a malt sweetness with just a touch of dark purple fruits (near-raisin-bread) and then, just a touch of grassy hop flavor to even it out. For a "popular" beer, this one actually holds its ground.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer is lightly carbonated (and the bubbles come on slow) giving you lots of time to savor the flavor. Slightly spiced (peppercorn, nutmeg/cinnamon) and lightly hopped (grassy), the real beauty here is the bready malt character that takes hold once the carbonation sets in. As beer warms, more of that sweetness shines through. Aftertaste is clean and crisp...mostly dry. Light malt.

Overall: Among its contemporaries (Budweiser, Coors, et cetera) this perennial favorite of the pubs and plazas has a special place in the hearts of those who remember that drinking beer doesn't have to be about "whatever gets you drunk." This popular brew actually has some substance to back it up.

*Note: I realize Coors owns the Killian's brand...my reference to "Coors" above is speaking of "Coors Banquet Beer." (1,313 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +35.4%

Now many people think that Killians is actually from Ireland so they oreder it thinking they are drinking a Irish beer. Now I have had Killians from the bottle also, and like most beers it is much better form the tap. It has a beautiful dark red hue, which has a almost pure white head at times. It goes down very smooth, and is not that heavy. It will not fell you up, so if your not careful you can drink too much. I like it a lot, and if your on a buget and want a decent fake import fo for a Killian's. (506 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +34.8%

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Deep copper red with a two finger head. Decent amount of foamy lacing.

Smell- Malty and slightly nutty.

Taste- Mildly sweet malt with caramel and nutty notes.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied and smooth. Nice carbonation and slightly dry at the finish.

Overall- I really enjoy this beer. I think the only reason some of the beer snobs don't is because it is made by Coors. (410 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +34.4%

A - Looked good.

S - Smelled good.

T - Good balanced beer. Not as much hop presence as I thought would be there.

M - Good.

D - Tried a 12-pack of these for my first Irish Red. Not disappointed. Will keep these in the beer fridge from time to time. (251 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +33.8%

I have really come to enjoy this beer, even more so as time goes on. It has a deeper color and flavor compared with other macros, yet it's still drinkable. The price isn't bad either. With this beer, you get a mild, yet decent tasting version of the European varieties, but without that damned skunkiness you often get with those brews. It has a slightly sweet flavor, yet it's not overpowering. I can drink one and be happy, or I can drink many more without any ill effects. To me, it seems that Coors actually put some effort into making this beer stand out from other mass produced beers. (591 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +33.4%

This happens to be one of my favorite all time beers.
Appearance: Nice medium light red color.
Smell: N/A
Taste: Well carbonated and a little watery.
Mouthfeel: Watery
Drinkability: Easy going down!
So I recommend that if you are strapped for some cash and you want to enjoy a beer go ahead and enjoy a Irish Red beer. Not to mention its perfect for St. Patricks Day!! Oh yeah!! (384 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +32.8%

This is my beer of choice when dining out, especially with a thick rib-eye steak on my plate. A tall glass provides the color I compare all others to, and the (usually) half-inch head is the light carmel color I so adore. The aftertaste doesn't take away from my meal, yet is strong enough to give my tastebuds satisfaction. The slightly sweet flavors are a wonderful counter to the smokey steak. It is a bit thinner than the bottled versions, however, and possibly even slightly lower in alcohol content. Still, it's my choice whenever it's available on tap! (559 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +32.8%

Ok, Killian's is my old goto beer. I've drank a /lot/ of this just because it's good all around. In fact, this beer is what drew me into the love of beer in general. So I had to review it. Nice red color when poured, but it's great straight from the bottle. It compliments just about any meal very well. It has a smooth, unassuming flavor, easy carbonation and just enough sweetness to make it a nice drink. I can put these down by the bottle or six pack, depending on what's needed at the time. Definately a good all-purpose beer. (531 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +32.1%

From a bottle into a pint glass. It pours a light red color almost orange like. It has a smallish head something predictable from Coors brewing. Has the typical coors scent to it but a little more deeper. It has a darker taste then most coors products. It has about the same after taste of coors banquet. It goes down smooth a beer I grew up with I love it. It is my safety beer. I recommend it to everyone especially around st. pattys day. (440 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +31.8%

Aroma is of a creamy maltiness...a bit of caramel and toastiness perhaps in there. Pretty smooth and nice.

Taste is, not surprisingly, rather malty. Taste is mostly of a nice, buttery sweet malt. Not very heavy, but not extremely light. It's like they took a bit of caramel, made it somewhat thin, and put some sweet cream in there. It's actually pretty tasty, and probably one of the best beers any macro producer puts out there. This is one of the few beers that isn't a disaster from them. Make no mistake though, it won't be confused with a high quality import.

The verdict on this beer is that it'd make a good fall back or session beer. If you go in not expecting to have your face blown off, you may be surprised. (722 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Commercialized Red, but tasty. Used to have a good price tag on it but the price has continued to rise on it as if Coors was trying to get more drinkers by making it seem more like a "craft beer" (195 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +31.5%

Reddish color as the name suggests. Not overly flavorful, but kind of bold maybe. I was expecting a little more taste, but overall I found this to be a satisfying brew. Has a little different finish than most beers I've drank. Its pretty good, I think I paid $6.77 for 6 at Wal-mart - cap is real, not twist off. (312 characters)

George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company