George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros

3.25/5  rDev +7.3%

2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

2.7/5  rDev -10.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a slightly-darkened amber color with an off white head and a touch of lacing. Nose is light amber malt with a but of a nutty character and some mild earth. Taste is a bit sweet and earthy with a touch of caramel added. Medium feel with good carbonation and is slightly drink. Drinks well enough, but nothing special.

3.23/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On-tap at Phebe's Tavern & Grill, New York, NY

A: The beer is crystal clear amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a short light beige head that hardly died down.
S: Light aromas of sweet toasted and caramel malts are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and is mostly dominated by malty flavors—toasted matls and bits of caramel sweetness stand out in particular. No bitterness is perceptible, but there is enough hops to prevent this from being overly sweet.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied, smooth and a little clean on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink. While it doesn't have much in the way of interesting flavors, it does have a pleasant mouthfeel.

3.25/5  rDev +7.3%

2.6/5  rDev -14.2%

Drank at the local Applebees. Not a particularly good beer and not handled or delivered well by the establishment. My critiqe will be largely based on what I remember about this beer from a few months ago.

The beer looks nicely auburn and crimson with medium carbonation to liven it up. Subtle off white head that fades quickly. Smells a little toasty, caramelly, and biscuity. Tastes equals the aromas, but offers little in the way of boldness or strength. No real body or hop character. Weak body and watery mouthfeel. An easy drinking beer, but always expect more from this one.

2.73/5  rDev -9.9%

Bottle: Poured a light amber color beer with an average size foamy head with average retention and no lacing. Aroma of light caramel malt is not the most complex but still somewhat enjoyable. Taste is also dominated by some medium sweet caramel malt with some limited complexity but also no adjunct as I had feared to be found. Body is about average with some OK carbonation. I guess I was surprised by this one considering the brewer but this is still not something I would seek again.

3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

Single finger head with nice lacing on a clear light amber body. Aroma is a little musty with mostly sweet caramel malt and mild hops. Flavor is pretty sweet mostly following the caramel malt with a musty hop finish. Medium body and moderate to high carbonation. Overall a drinkable beer limited mostly by its mildly musty and bitter finish.

2.45/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

As much as I hate to admit it, I too used to think that this was an import from Ireland. That was several years ago (before BA) when I was young and naive in the ways of beer. The impression lasted only as long as it took me to actually drink some of the beer; after which it occured to me that I was most likely drinking an American macro. One look at the label confirmed it. I'm ready, however, to give it another chance, another go-round now that my beer knowledge and experience have grown.

Reddish orange-amber and perfectly clear. An aggressive pour results in a medium-sized beige head that drops rather quickly to a thin film or less. Almost no lace. The nose is an improvement on the better known macros since it isn't offensive.

The most I can say for the flavor is that it isn't off-putting. Even though it struggles to be average, the beer is somewhat drinkable. There's some sweet malt initially, then a modest bitterness... then the whole thing ends rather abruptly.

The mouthfeel is thin and borderline watery. This is clearly not well-brewed craft beer, but Coors has done a passable job with it compared to their more popular lagers. I could drink Killian's 'Irish' Red again if I had to. But I don't, so I won't.

3.23/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured a nice reddish amber with a frothy off white head, decent lace ringed down the glass and some nice chains of bubbles formed visible carbonation. Smell was bready, with a hint of bittering hops, but mostly cereal like. Taste was smooth, non descript and very sessionable. Lots of malts, and thats about it. Overall not bad, but doesnt stand out in a crowd.

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

A: The pour is a sort of brownish red color with a short lived off-white head.

S: Certainly not the most pleasing aroma. Really kind of harsh with green apple and over-roasted/burnt malts. There is a little bit of burnt toast in there too, which I don't find all that appealing.

T: Flavor is slightly better but still sort of bitter and harsh. More of the burnt toast flavor. I don't get a lot of the caramel type flavors that I would associate with a red beer. No hop flavor, but definitely some bitterness.

M: The mouthfeel is one good thing about this beer. Medium in body with a moderate to high carbonation.

O: Disappointing. I remember liking this beer several years back, but every time I've had it since then, it's been a real let down.

3.63/5  rDev +19.8%

Probably the first Irish Red I ever had. I know it's not a true Irish brew since Coors makes it. However, when I was just starting out I was just taking what ever I could get. Killian's pours out as an attractive amber color with a big rising tan colored head on it. The head settles into some random sudsy patterns on top of the brew for a little while. The smell of the beer is a bit earthy with a lots of caramel on the nose. The taste of the been is mostly caramel too in my opinion, not much in way of hops, but I still find it to be a tasty brew. The mouthfeel isn't bad, it's got a decent bubbly feel and it's a little thick too. Overall I had so much Killian's when I started drinking beers that I thought I'd had enough of it. I found myself with a 6 pack given to me on my birthday so here I go again with the old school stuff again.

2.42/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark amber body with a small, off-white head.

Smell: Weak, nearly non-existent aroma with just a bit of green apple and hint of malt.

Taste: Overall light flavor, there's just a touch of grainy malt. More of the green apple from the "aroma". Very, very light bitterness. Watery finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation. Watery mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A real letdown.

3.28/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I remember these being a revelation while patronizing the Old Market pubs in Omaha many a year ago, me unaware of the hidden Coors ownership. Will the reunion be typically awkward? It's now labeled as a product of Unibev, Golden, CO. What thin obfuscation...

This beer pours a clear medium burnt amber colour, with two fingers of foamy, soapy ecru head, which melts away to leave only a meniscus of lace around the perimeter of the glass. It smells of sweet caramel malt, a bit of honey, and mild earthy hops. The taste is fruity caramel malt - apple and pear mostly. The hops are quite faint, lending more of a sense of balance to the sweetness, than any discernible flavour of their own. The carbonation is average, the body leaning a bit to the lighter side of middleweight, with some decent creaminess, and it finishes fairly sweet, the fruity malt seemingly unchallenged at the end.

I can see why I liked these years ago - malt forward, very low bitterness, smooth and easy to drink. Simple, but still moderately endearing.

3.51/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

this is another one of those beers that used to be pretty great and has changed in the corporate setting. still though, its the best thing coming out of coors, and still has a soft spot in my heart harkening back to my youth. pours a nice burnt brick red color with a fluffy tan head. it used to smell a little smoky amongst the dry red malts, but now it smells more like an adjunct heavy brew and they smoke is almost gone. its go an oatmeal sort of heavy complexion to it, and the sweetness is sort of familiar too, the finish is long and caramel centered. I don't know why this beer was changed, the original brew was really pretty good, but its become another factory beer casualty. better body than most though, and the carbonation is agreeable. I can still drink a 6er of these and enjoy them all, but its not what it used to be.

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Served in a slightly frosted shaker pint glass.

Apparently there are still Quizzo beers I haven't yet reviewed. As I tick this one, it pours a clear sunset amber topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises only light mandarin oranges and light toffee. The taste doesn't deviate too far from this, adding only a touch of orange peel and a small dash of pepper. The body is a straight medium, with a moderate carbonation and a kinda dry finish. Overall, a decent li'l brew, nothing to write home about but more than enough for Quizzo.

George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company