George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
t0rin0

11-15-2012 03:27:50 | More by t0rin0
djrn2

02-24-2013 16:20:59 | More by djrn2
Thorpe429

2.7/5  rDev -10.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a slightly-darkened amber color with an off white head and a touch of lacing. Nose is light amber malt with a but of a nutty character and some mild earth. Taste is a bit sweet and earthy with a touch of caramel added. Medium feel with good carbonation and is slightly drink. Drinks well enough, but nothing special.

11-09-2010 12:01:54 | More by Thorpe429
nmann08

District of Columbia

12-05-2011 01:48:48 | More by nmann08
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.45/5  rDev -19.1%

As much as I hate to admit it, I too used to think that this was an import from Ireland. That was several years ago (before BA) when I was young and naive in the ways of beer. The impression lasted only as long as it took me to actually drink some of the beer; after which it occured to me that I was most likely drinking an American macro. One look at the label confirmed it. I'm ready, however, to give it another chance, another go-round now that my beer knowledge and experience have grown.

Reddish orange-amber and perfectly clear. An aggressive pour results in a medium-sized beige head that drops rather quickly to a thin film or less. Almost no lace. The nose is an improvement on the better known macros since it isn't offensive.

The most I can say for the flavor is that it isn't off-putting. Even though it struggles to be average, the beer is somewhat drinkable. There's some sweet malt initially, then a modest bitterness... then the whole thing ends rather abruptly.

The mouthfeel is thin and borderline watery. This is clearly not well-brewed craft beer, but Coors has done a passable job with it compared to their more popular lagers. I could drink Killian's 'Irish' Red again if I had to. But I don't, so I won't.

01-27-2004 18:20:24 | More by BuckeyeNation
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.23/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured a nice reddish amber with a frothy off white head, decent lace ringed down the glass and some nice chains of bubbles formed visible carbonation. Smell was bready, with a hint of bittering hops, but mostly cereal like. Taste was smooth, non descript and very sessionable. Lots of malts, and thats about it. Overall not bad, but doesnt stand out in a crowd.

06-20-2007 00:42:00 | More by mikesgroove
BEERchitect

Kentucky

2.6/5  rDev -14.2%

Drank at the local Applebees. Not a particularly good beer and not handled or delivered well by the establishment. My critiqe will be largely based on what I remember about this beer from a few months ago.

The beer looks nicely auburn and crimson with medium carbonation to liven it up. Subtle off white head that fades quickly. Smells a little toasty, caramelly, and biscuity. Tastes equals the aromas, but offers little in the way of boldness or strength. No real body or hop character. Weak body and watery mouthfeel. An easy drinking beer, but always expect more from this one.

06-29-2005 13:01:11 | More by BEERchitect
acurtis

01-22-2012 01:02:11 | More by acurtis
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.73/5  rDev -9.9%

Bottle: Poured a light amber color beer with an average size foamy head with average retention and no lacing. Aroma of light caramel malt is not the most complex but still somewhat enjoyable. Taste is also dominated by some medium sweet caramel malt with some limited complexity but also no adjunct as I had feared to be found. Body is about average with some OK carbonation. I guess I was surprised by this one considering the brewer but this is still not something I would seek again.

08-21-2008 19:27:40 | More by Phyl21ca
womencantsail

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

A: The pour is a sort of brownish red color with a short lived off-white head.

S: Certainly not the most pleasing aroma. Really kind of harsh with green apple and over-roasted/burnt malts. There is a little bit of burnt toast in there too, which I don't find all that appealing.

T: Flavor is slightly better but still sort of bitter and harsh. More of the burnt toast flavor. I don't get a lot of the caramel type flavors that I would associate with a red beer. No hop flavor, but definitely some bitterness.

M: The mouthfeel is one good thing about this beer. Medium in body with a moderate to high carbonation.

O: Disappointing. I remember liking this beer several years back, but every time I've had it since then, it's been a real let down.

04-30-2011 06:15:52 | More by womencantsail

01-17-2013 16:24:51 | More by spycow
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.42/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark amber body with a small, off-white head.

Smell: Weak, nearly non-existent aroma with just a bit of green apple and hint of malt.

Taste: Overall light flavor, there's just a touch of grainy malt. More of the green apple from the "aroma". Very, very light bitterness. Watery finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation. Watery mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A real letdown.

03-15-2008 02:11:03 | More by ChainGangGuy
jaydoc

Kansas

08-31-2013 04:15:39 | More by jaydoc
kylehay2004

3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

Single finger head with nice lacing on a clear light amber body. Aroma is a little musty with mostly sweet caramel malt and mild hops. Flavor is pretty sweet mostly following the caramel malt with a musty hop finish. Medium body and moderate to high carbonation. Overall a drinkable beer limited mostly by its mildly musty and bitter finish.

03-18-2012 22:04:16 | More by kylehay2004
Knapp85

3.63/5  rDev +19.8%

Probably the first Irish Red I ever had. I know it's not a true Irish brew since Coors makes it. However, when I was just starting out I was just taking what ever I could get. Killian's pours out as an attractive amber color with a big rising tan colored head on it. The head settles into some random sudsy patterns on top of the brew for a little while. The smell of the beer is a bit earthy with a lots of caramel on the nose. The taste of the been is mostly caramel too in my opinion, not much in way of hops, but I still find it to be a tasty brew. The mouthfeel isn't bad, it's got a decent bubbly feel and it's a little thick too. Overall I had so much Killian's when I started drinking beers that I thought I'd had enough of it. I found myself with a 6 pack given to me on my birthday so here I go again with the old school stuff again.

07-22-2011 04:04:48 | More by Knapp85
TMoney2591

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Served in a slightly frosted shaker pint glass.

Apparently there are still Quizzo beers I haven't yet reviewed. As I tick this one, it pours a clear sunset amber topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises only light mandarin oranges and light toffee. The taste doesn't deviate too far from this, adding only a touch of orange peel and a small dash of pepper. The body is a straight medium, with a moderate carbonation and a kinda dry finish. Overall, a decent li'l brew, nothing to write home about but more than enough for Quizzo.

12-16-2010 08:19:51 | More by TMoney2591
JAHMUR

Connecticut

02-02-2013 01:00:56 | More by JAHMUR
zeff80

Missouri

2.88/5  rDev -5%

A - Poured out a burgandy color with a 1+ finger head. Highly carbonated.

S - It smelled of malt and faintly of grass.

T - It tasted fairly malty with a subtle spice and hop flavor.

M - It was crisp and medium-bodied.

D - This is a descent beer. Great for the price.

03-16-2007 03:13:26 | More by zeff80
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.28/5  rDev +8.3%

I remember these being a revelation while patronizing the Old Market pubs in Omaha many a year ago, me unaware of the hidden Coors ownership. Will the reunion be typically awkward? It's now labeled as a product of Unibev, Golden, CO. What thin obfuscation...

This beer pours a clear medium burnt amber colour, with two fingers of foamy, soapy ecru head, which melts away to leave only a meniscus of lace around the perimeter of the glass. It smells of sweet caramel malt, a bit of honey, and mild earthy hops. The taste is fruity caramel malt - apple and pear mostly. The hops are quite faint, lending more of a sense of balance to the sweetness, than any discernible flavour of their own. The carbonation is average, the body leaning a bit to the lighter side of middleweight, with some decent creaminess, and it finishes fairly sweet, the fruity malt seemingly unchallenged at the end.

I can see why I liked these years ago - malt forward, very low bitterness, smooth and easy to drink. Simple, but still moderately endearing.

07-30-2010 22:29:09 | More by biboergosum
SocalKicks

03-14-2012 13:32:04 | More by SocalKicks
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.68/5  rDev +21.5%

On-tap at The Vineyard in Attleboro, MA, served in a large mug glass.

A: The beer is a bright reddish brown with a foamy yellowish gold head that fades at a decent rate and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but malty, with notes of caramel, tea & a touch of hops.

T: The taste is very much the same as the smell, caramelized malt, tea and a little bit of hops.

M: Smooth & crisp, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, with a clean finish.

D: Easy to drink and not very filling, but a little lacking in flavor compared to most micro brews. However, I find it a good alternative if you're faced only with choices from the brewing giants. This used to be my favorite beer before I started drinking micros, so it still has a somewhat warm place in my heart and palate.

09-15-2006 16:31:34 | More by TheManiacalOne
Jason

3.2/5  rDev +5.6%

Presentation: Euro-style 12 oz brown twist off bottle with a drink before date printed right below the neck of the bottle.

Appearance: Bright reddish amber with a perfect clarity, the head does pretty well also and clings to the glass almost all the way down.

Smell: Very clean aroma with faint toasted grain and light sweetness is a caramel kind of way.

Taste: Moderate body with a clean palate and smooth mouth feel. Simple and quick malt flavours of toasted grain and faint caramel, a touch thin on the malt but it is there. More of dry malt character though not bone dry, hop bitterness is meek is at a good level in comparison to the malt. More toasted grain in the end with a clean and dry finish.

Notes: Decent at best, very undemanding on the taste buds. This seems to be the beer for macro drinkers to think they are drinking a micro … I guess if that makes them happy that is all that matters, sadly some people think this is an import. Sometimes this is all bars have aside from the pale swill … call it a last resort beer.

08-18-2002 11:18:43 | More by Jason