George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
Northsider

3.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Not much to say about this one...I wanted to try an Irish Red and this was all that was on tap. Average all around beer. i'd drink it again, but it wouldn't be the first thing I grabbed for. Color was amber red, smell was sweet and malty, however taste just wasn't there. All I tasted was bitter.

Overall disappointing, but it's widely available and not *that* bad. Grab something better if you see it, but this is an alright go-to Red. I didn't know it was Coors, but I'll most likely try to avoid in the future if possible.

06-01-2011 13:22:36 | More by Northsider
DeltaGolfSierra

Tennessee

1.98/5  rDev -34.7%

A - a dark red/maroon to amber color, with a modest head that actually lasted longer than I expected. The appearance is probably the best thing about this beer.

S - I couldn't pick up much of any scent, but at least it wasn't offensive. Maybe some weak bread scents, if anything.

T - tasted like sourdough bread to me. Malts flavor is dominant, but weak. There's a few seconds of a bitter/sour taste, then it's gone. Nothing complex or interesting going on here. But nothing offensive either.

M - watery. Not much carbonation.

O - not impressed, but considering it is a macro lager, it could be worse.

05-25-2011 13:54:00 | More by DeltaGolfSierra
BarryMFBurton

2.58/5  rDev -14.9%

I don't want to spend a lot of time on this one. I've never been a fan of Coors, and this seems to me like faux-craft more than anything. I know a few people who sport Killian's as their go-to's, (and I don't think any worse of them), but I've had it before and never thought much of it. I've never really scrutinized it, though, and that's what I'm here to do now. Let's go:

Served on-tap at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Avon, Indiana.

A: This is one of the enduring things I like about Killian's. The say Irish Red, and they mean it. It a deep red with brown highlights, sporting a 2-finger white head. Lacing and head fade quickly, but it's because it's more like a micro-carb than anything.

S: This is where it starts to go downhill. Mostly cheap alcohol and mild yeast in the nose. There's some dark bitters, but it fades disappointingly quickly.

T: The flavor is at least a little more complex. Earthy yeast is satisfying, but gives way to some cheap, artificially fruity wheat. Not a great overtone. Underneath that, though, is a hint of dark coffee and some unidentifiable sweetness. It's almost like a syrupy mocha. A decent palate.

M: Smooth, but much more syrupy than the look implied. It's almost slimy.

O: A decent offering from Coors (considering their current bestsellers), but still not a go-to for me. On-tap, in a bottle: no thanks.

05-16-2011 04:25:11 | More by BarryMFBurton
Rifugium

1.25/5  rDev -58.7%

First had: probably back in high school, stolen from a friend's dad's fridge or something.

Well, it's better than Coors Light anyway. Poured a clear, reddish-amber, carbonated, and a small white head. Sweet malty aroma...not much else to speak of. Light, sweet taste, malts, burnt sugar, bitter, and pretty weak. Light, watery body, stale, and a bitter aftertaste. Drinkable if you want drink whole cases at a time and get wasted. Otherwise, avoid this one.

05-08-2011 21:42:31 | More by Rifugium
burkyburk

2.63/5  rDev -13.2%

This is one of those beers your friend buys for everyone. He wants to impress everyone by buying something "different".

Smells like any other domestic beer to me.

Nothing noteworthy in the taste. Bland.
I like beers that capture my tongue and make my tastebuds go crazy. None of that going on here.

I will say that the carbonation is nice and it's drinkable.

05-04-2011 05:33:23 | More by burkyburk
CrazGreek

3.43/5  rDev +13.2%

A- Poured a darker amber color that's often associated with red lager. About a half-finger head, dissapated with some pretty good lacing. Presented a very inviting sight on a hot day, with a little bit of sweat on the glass.

S- A bit underwhelming of a smell. Mostly toasted malts, a touch of cereal grains.

T- Only a touch of hops, and primarily this beer is about the malts. Not much of that caramel flavor that you find in most red lagers. The taste is nothing exceptional, but it's pretty enjoyable, all things considered

M- Pretty good level of carbonation. Not overcarbonated like most cheaper, macrobrewed beer. Very smooth, without a lot of body.

O- I do enjoy this beer when I crave a red lager, as it's widely available and not hard on the wallet if you feel like using them to stay refreshed on a hot day. Not the best there is, but definitely worth sampling.

05-02-2011 05:25:58 | More by CrazGreek
womencantsail

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

A: The pour is a sort of brownish red color with a short lived off-white head.

S: Certainly not the most pleasing aroma. Really kind of harsh with green apple and over-roasted/burnt malts. There is a little bit of burnt toast in there too, which I don't find all that appealing.

T: Flavor is slightly better but still sort of bitter and harsh. More of the burnt toast flavor. I don't get a lot of the caramel type flavors that I would associate with a red beer. No hop flavor, but definitely some bitterness.

M: The mouthfeel is one good thing about this beer. Medium in body with a moderate to high carbonation.

O: Disappointing. I remember liking this beer several years back, but every time I've had it since then, it's been a real let down.

04-30-2011 06:15:52 | More by womencantsail
EagleTalon

Oklahoma

3.5/5  rDev +15.5%

I am re-reviewing this beer with a better educated palate.

Pours to a reddish amber color and thin off-white head. Aroma is of caramel malt and sweet pale malt and a wisp of hops. Slightly bready/biscuity in the nose. Flavor is typical american amber lager up-front but resolves to a very pleasant lingering fresh and crisp maltiness that stays around a long time. This beer is better than I remember it being way back about 8 years ago. It has a very malt-oriented profile. The only drawback is the thin, harsh macro-lager mouthfeel. The hops only serve to balance the sweetness. As good as Amber Bock if not a touch better in the malt profile. There are better Irish Reds out there.

04-23-2011 08:06:48 | More by EagleTalon
climax

Missouri

2.68/5  rDev -11.6%

When I was more naive, this one helped me into the better beer world. Now I realize it's not really as great as I once thought. As for helping to initiate me, I thank it.

I poured this one rapidly to get the best viewing pleasure I could. I did get an inch of bubbly head, but i turned to cough and it was gone. Clarity of the red body is decent.

The aroma is essentially macro lager with maybe a slight addition of sweet caramel. The typical flavors of cereal grains, diacetyl, phenols, and a metallic twang do little to wake my olfactory sensory neurons.

It doesn't taste bad or offensive, and for that I am impressed. It's the absence of bad flavor that surprises me after the aroma. Perhaps that is what turned me on so many years back. It's sweet and clean, unfortunately caramel and a bit of grassy flavor is about all that lies within.

Back when, I thought "whoa, dark stuff". Nope, there is no body here. Aside from carbonation, it could get confused with H20. I could probably pound them like there's no tomorrow, but I think I've grown from that.

04-20-2011 02:40:57 | More by climax
MaltsOfGlory

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev +5.6%

Well on the appearance, it pours a small half finger head, it looks very nice though, a little creamy perhaps, and I can tell it's leaving ok lacing, considering it's made by Coors. The body is a little lame it's slightly transparent, and there is probably more carbonation than there should be. The body is a dark reddish brown, so it looks like a red should look like. The head is now gone, meh, it looks ok, the lacing is it's only redeeming factor, and we'll see if that lasts the whole way down. Well, the smell is a little interesting, the main smell is malt, and the average irish red smell, which is good, it's good that it actually has an irish red smell too it. The only thing weird is there is a distant smell, I can't make out what it is, it's not a Coors smell, it's just different, who knows maybe it wont be a bad flavor. Overall the aroma actually isn't that bad, pretty standard. Wow, well this one is hard to grade on taste. At first you get that Coorsy taste (so I guess I was wrong, it was a Coors smell), just that generic beer, adjunct taste. Then comes the more genuine irish red taste, malty and what not. Then in the finish you get a huge sweetness, it's not a malt sweetness, and it's not brown sugar or molasses or maple or anything like that. Frankly it tastes like they just poured table sugar in here, I know that sounds bad, but it finishes things off nicely. It would be different if it was SUPER overpowering, but it's not. It helps me forget about that Coors taste too. Overall, I mean, table sugar is no great micro brew ingredient, so I can't really give it points for that, but I will say that the taste isn't bad overall. Mouthfeel is pretty thin, which is what I was expecting, irish reds are supposed to be somewhat thin, but this is pretty fing thin, so nothing special there. The drinkability is pretty nice, the sugar tatse probably helps with that a lot, and the fact that it's light. Overall, not a bad beer, one of the better Coors brews out there, there is still that Coors taste, but oh well.

04-16-2011 03:39:42 | More by MaltsOfGlory
psuKinger

2.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Bottle left over from St. Paddy's day celebration, poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a nice frothy (although slightly small) white head that dissipated quickly. A translucent orange brew, I'm always amazed when I revisit a beer like this (or Michelob Amber Bock) from my college/younger days and I used to think this was a "dark" beer... 3.0.

S: Muted smell of sweet barley and maybe a hint of corn bread. Not offensive but far from exceptional. 2.5

T: Simple. This brew would be pretty "well balanced" if it weren't for a mild (almost "cornbread") sweetness on the finish that, left unchecked, will probably detract from drinkability over an extended period of time. Unremarkable.

M: Good carbonation levels with a nice amount of "tingle" on the tongue, this beer finishes with a small amount of stickie sweetness.

D: There's not a lot to dislike here... but there's also not a lot to like. Ultimately, I want/need more of *something* in order to keep coming back for pint after pint... something that this beer just doesn't have. 2.5.

04-10-2011 21:54:38 | More by psuKinger
jsprain1

2.05/5  rDev -32.3%

A- Dark amber/red, with a thick foamy head that retains pretty well.
S- Weak aroma. Not terrible smelling, but it pretty much is just faint malt.
T- Sweet malt, with what's interesting is that there seems to be no flavor in the finish. It's kind of bizarre really.
M- Light and low carbed, lending a sense of wateryness to the beer.
O- It's slightly better than most macro lagers, but it's just not that great.

03-27-2011 09:25:07 | More by jsprain1
DaveBlack

2.78/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Aptly named Irish Red, this beer is transparent, with a orangish-red hue. The head is big and billowy, something like 2 1/2 fingers, but it doesn't have much retention, so it disappears quickly and doesn't leave any lacing. Carbonation is noticeable, as it sticks to the sides of the glass everywhere.

S: Smells mostly like adjunct cereal grains, though it has the added benefit of some slight maltiness. Slightly more interesting that the average BMC beer.

T: Taste closely reflects that of the smell: A fair amount of sweet maltiness up front, which gives way into cereal grains and no hops to speak of. Not a very well balanced beer, and quite sweet for my taste without the balancing hops.

M: Mouthfeel is light, with medium-high amounts of carbonation. Ever so slightly sticky. Not much else to say.

O: A drinkable beer, but not one that I would buy or seek out. Better than the average offering from one of the big three, but certainly a far cry from true craft beer.

03-23-2011 13:58:21 | More by DaveBlack
GeneralZod

2.68/5  rDev -11.6%

APPEARANCE
It has very red and slightly brown color. It has good head retention and pours well

SMELL
It has the typical malt and barley smell, but not too strong.

TASTE
As it has weak smell, so does the taste. It actually taste like a light beer. Not that its bad in taste, but there is not much flavor.

MOUTHFEEL
It's well carbonated and is slightly coarsed.

OVERALL
It's not bad if you want to pound down beers in quantity, but as for taste, there is nothing special.

03-21-2011 01:56:38 | More by GeneralZod
LittleDon

2.5/5  rDev -17.5%

A pint marketed as La Jolla Lager at the Manager's Reception, Embassy Suites San Diego - La Jolla.

From the venue, you could probably guest as to the freshness of the beer. Given that most of the folks were drinking this and not Bud Light, I was holding out hope. Red in color, clear, the head was there and gone in a flash and could not be resurrected. The aroma was caramel and malty with a hint of what seemed to be strawberry ice cream. There was a slight mineral smell, but I think that might have been the glassware. Some carbonation in the beginning, plain middle: malty, a tad of hops, leans toward the dry side. Everything disappears in the end with an odd just perceptible metallic taste.

03-04-2011 02:01:46 | More by LittleDon
JohnnyS17

Maryland

3.03/5  rDev 0%

Tasted from a pint glass

A - Very nice caramelly brownish red. About a pencil thick of head that disappeared after a second or two. Slight carbonation around the edges if the glass.

S - Roasty with with a vague sweetness. It's rather a dull smell.

T - Very similar to the smell, roasty and slightly sweet. The taste is not tremendous, but it is refereshing.

M - Light body with a strong carbonation. The carbonation is a bit too intense for my tongue.

D - I'm still a fan of Killian's Irish Red despite an average score here. I enjoy drinking one or two every now and then.

02-28-2011 00:14:51 | More by JohnnyS17
zrab11

3.05/5  rDev +0.7%

A-Is a amber color, not too dark of a amber. can see right through the glass pretty well. Gives a nice big white head

S-Carmel malty smell with some yeast notes

T-Sweet notes but tasted alittle watered down

M-Good carbonation,feels light in the mouth

D-Easy to drink,not enough flavor though. would drink one if someone offered it to me bu prob wouldnt order again

02-26-2011 03:53:29 | More by zrab11
Frothboss

Kentucky

2.42/5  rDev -20.1%

Dark red bronze with good froth up front but qui kly fades away. Only smells like the mettalic keg its stored in. Tasts is not really there, was expecting something heavier. Good carbonation what you would expect from a commercialized american beer. Wont be seeking this one out again.

02-23-2011 22:11:48 | More by Frothboss
Macdoyal

Vermont

3.48/5  rDev +14.9%

Here we go.

Appearance: Well come on already. It's called an Irish red so as one would assume .... it's red. It's reddish/brown not red like cherry juice. Very nice looking beer.

Smell: Nothing great to report here i mean i honestly didn't get much to report which isn't really a bad thing either. I mean I didn't pick up any skunk smell.

Taste: Now this is good tasting beer. I picked up chocolate in the back end of the flavor a roasted chocolate. I think thats the best part, it taste roasted not burnt like some dark beer i've had. It's got depth to the flavor and it's not over the top.

Mouthfeel: It's got a refreshing nature to it. It's nicely carbonated and smooth. It's a good lager.

Drinkability: Very drinkable due to nice flavor and refreshing crisp end. It's a good food beer could drink this with all but the lightest meals. I will keep with around more often.

02-21-2011 22:38:53 | More by Macdoyal
MinnesotaRIS

3.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Serving from a bottle into a glass. Pours with body 4/10. Bright white head head that dissipates quickly leaving very little lace and residual foam. Red amber appearance, some copper at edges. Effervescent, carbonated well. Very clear.

Smell of slight yeast, low level esters that are apparent. Low malt aroma, typical lagered results.

T - some darker malts, low body taste, dry with low astringency. Smooth mouthfeel that rounds out to a very decent aftertaste of malt. Moderate noble hops.

This is drinkable and better than most commercial lagers. It takes quite some time to interpret. This is recommended if there are really no other options or for large parties.

Could use more dextrin for body, reduce the ester character and build the malt.

02-20-2011 17:30:49 | More by MinnesotaRIS
Looneybiz

3.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a pint glass and the appearance was really nice. A light amber a little transparent but still a nice hue. The smell was surprising, I wasn't expecting as much aroma as I got.

Upon tasting it pretty much is the same old amber lager thats somewhat watered down but not too much that it didn't have some flavor.

Mouthfeel was a little too carbonated and you really can't take big gulps because of it.

Definetely would drink again whenever I'm in the mood for an amber lager that is cheap and easy to find.

02-19-2011 05:17:57 | More by Looneybiz
jdspears41

Kentucky

4.4/5  rDev +45.2%

I have had this in the bottle many times but had it on draft for the first time to other night. It is a must order if you see it on draft.

A- Beautiful color, it is a red tint with a nice head on top.

S-Its a great smell of hops and makes you want to drink it.

T-Excellent tastes with a better aftertaste. Its a beer that your never forget the taste of for good reason.

M- Carbonation is strong, sometimes too strong, but not overbearing.

D- Great, its not too dark where if you drink too you feel sick. A six pack will make you have a great buzz but you wont be sloppy drunk. I love this beer and drink it all the time, especially if its on draft.

02-17-2011 19:58:26 | More by jdspears41
KingPuuChuu

Arizona

2.45/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a 12oz pub pint glass.

Pours a rich red, with a thick head that gradually dies down. Heavy malt and roasted grain are in the nose, a first sip brings on a hoppiness to the back of the palate. However, a bready/chemically flavor comes in on the front end.

Mouthfeel is very bubbly. This would be better if it wasn't so bubbly.

Head retention is nice, but I'm giving that to extra carbonation.

While this isn't a horrible beer, it's not great. I know this tastes better from the tap, so if it was one of the only choices, I'd take it.

02-15-2011 23:58:03 | More by KingPuuChuu
DovaliHops

2.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a crystal clear amber red color with a medium white head that disappears quickly. Scent is light malt, barley, and grain. Not much going on in the nose. Same with the taste...very watered down and just slight malt and grain flavors. Taste's like a sweeter version of Coors Light. A lot better tasting than Coors Light though, which isn't hard to do. The mouthfeel is watered down and drinkability is high if you're at a tailgate or something...but not something I would have before bed or with dinner. This is no Alaskan Amber, but it is a good gateway beer for those wanting to move away from Bud Light and Coors Light.

02-15-2011 05:31:59 | More by DovaliHops
JMad

3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

I poured a 12 oz bottle into my pint glass...

It was an amber, copper color with a thick off-white head.

The smell consists of sweet caramel malt, there is a touch of sourness and a hint of toasted bread.

I tasted biscuits, some butter, caramel malt, but it's not too sweet, it's light and bready.

Carbonation was prickly, and it has a smooth, mdium body.

I would drink this again, it would be a good beer to order if your somewhere that doesn't have a good selection.

02-09-2011 19:15:28 | More by JMad