George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
2.55/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The beer appeared a decent, clear red copper color. It produced a large, light, foamy head. It almost appeared to me to be over carbonated. The head, in the blink of an eye, dissipated into nothing. The beer gave off a light malt aroma and not much else. The taste of the beer followed suit, a slightly sweet roasted malts, but it seemed watered down. No aftertaste to mention, but make sure that you drink it while it is cold. I let it sit for a few minutes while grilling and it got a bit warm and I could not finish it, dumped it straight into the yard. The beer was light bodied and seemed over carbonated. Not exactly easy to drink, but easier than some. Overall, I remember it being better in my college days, but then again, I really didn't drink good beer than. After this one, I am going to stay away from it.

PhillyStyle, Sep 01, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +14.9%

Crazy sale on this at the local mart and bought since I hadn't tried it before.

A: Reddish copper with a small head

S: Definitely some malt, maybe some nut

T: Roasty with good carb

M: Good but after the first two I got a buttery type feeling in my mouth similar to the last review.

O: Backup beer at best, used for power hour.

theRooster90, Aug 30, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -8.3%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - Clear reddish copper colour with a large size fizzy beige coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fairly good lacing. The head lasted for around 4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, butterscotch, roasted nuts, dark fruits

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, butterscotch, and some dark fruits - either raisins or cherries. I can also taste a bit of a metallic flavour and a rustiness. The beer finishes with a buttery dark fruit aftertaste.

Overall - Towards the end of the glass the taste really started to remind me of buttered popcorn.. that probably isn't a good thing when drinking a beer. It wasn't undrinkable, but this is not something I'd buy again.

spinrsx, Aug 30, 2011

A. Pours a dark red with a thin white head that has very little if any retention or lacing, but has lots of carbonation.
S. The nose has some grains in it along with a slight biscuit and caramel scent.
T. The taste has some watered down sweet malts in it along with some caramel that lost its flavoring. I also taste some grains that seem to have been around too long and leaves in unpleasant taste in the mouth.
M/O. The mouthfeel is rather dry, but still easy to drink and overall this is one poor excuse for a beer. I have never tried the import ones from France or Ireland, but if this was a good beer then coors sure has ruined it.

DannyDan, Aug 14, 2011
3.18/5  rDev +5%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a brownish red, about a fingers worth of head that dissipates pretty quickly, no lacing to speak of.

S: All I'm really getting is some sweet roasted malt.

T: Just like the smell... sweet roasted malt from start to finish. No real aftertaste to speak of.

M: Pretty light bodied for the style... also more crisp with carbonation for the style than I'm used too.

D: When I turned 21 this was Micro in my area.... So I'm a fan from way back.... Now that I'm into exploring the world of beer this one is not as Micro as I had thought back in the day.... But it still kind of hold a special place in my heart... Is is outstanding as I remembered it.... Well no but it is not bad either... Trip down memory lane.

mralphabet, Aug 03, 2011
3.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Well, I enjoyed this beer a lot when I turned 21, but I have hardly had it for a while, so I decided to revisit it for a review.

Appearance: A nice amber color, crystal clear, with a short tan head that dissipates fast, leaving no lacing

Smell: All malts. Caramel and toasted grain.

Taste: Nice and malty, not really much in the way of hops to balance out the malty sweetness. Some caramel and toasted grain flavor in there

Mouthfeel: Light body, high carbonation

Overall: Not bad, a decent gateway brew, and something good to have once in a while, but nothing spectacular. I still enjoy it, so I'm willing to still give money to Coors for this brew.

MadCat, Aug 01, 2011
3.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Color- Amber/copper with an off-white head.

Aroma- hoppy, grainy, malty, bitter.

Taste- hoppy, grainy, malty, bitter.

It's a good quality beer, and it is pleasant in both aroma and taste. However, personally, this is a little too bitter to drink just for drinking. I had another one to go with my food. So, it goes very well with food, but it's sort of hard to drink unless you need something really stiff. I've had beers with much higher IBUs, but for whatever reason I notice the bitterness is much more distracting to me in this beer.

It's worth buying a six pack to try. Do it. -_-

JoLight, Jul 28, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +36.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: Beer is an auburn color with some definite tendencies towards gold. Fairly decent carbonation, and a head that lasts only momentarily, but looks good while it lasts. Head is just off-white.

Smell: I really, really like Killian's. There's a malt sweetness with just a touch of dark purple fruits (near-raisin-bread) and then, just a touch of grassy hop flavor to even it out. For a "popular" beer, this one actually holds its ground.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer is lightly carbonated (and the bubbles come on slow) giving you lots of time to savor the flavor. Slightly spiced (peppercorn, nutmeg/cinnamon) and lightly hopped (grassy), the real beauty here is the bready malt character that takes hold once the carbonation sets in. As beer warms, more of that sweetness shines through. Aftertaste is clean and crisp...mostly dry. Light malt.

Overall: Among its contemporaries (Budweiser, Coors, et cetera) this perennial favorite of the pubs and plazas has a special place in the hearts of those who remember that drinking beer doesn't have to be about "whatever gets you drunk." This popular brew actually has some substance to back it up.

*Note: I realize Coors owns the Killian's brand...my reference to "Coors" above is speaking of "Coors Banquet Beer."

Lauthaha, Jul 28, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +14.9%

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - transparent ruby/orange under 2 fingers of khaki head

S - caramel and grain

T - toasted malt and caramel up front followed by a mild hop bite; grain and hops combine for a clean finish

M - medium-bodied and smooth; average carbonation

O - Killian's is simply an average brew. It is easy to drink and would probably be a good choice for the craft noob.

lwillitz, Jul 24, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Imported from my ratebeer.com profile - APR 8, 2008

Didn't pour this one, drank it straight from the bottle. Tastes smooth, malty and hoppy. Pretty simple beer without much flavor, carbonated, watery mouthfeel. Not a big fan of lagers, but this was decent. Wouldn’t go out of my way to get one, but if offered I would drink again.

kflorence, Jul 23, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +19.8%

Probably the first Irish Red I ever had. I know it's not a true Irish brew since Coors makes it. However, when I was just starting out I was just taking what ever I could get. Killian's pours out as an attractive amber color with a big rising tan colored head on it. The head settles into some random sudsy patterns on top of the brew for a little while. The smell of the beer is a bit earthy with a lots of caramel on the nose. The taste of the been is mostly caramel too in my opinion, not much in way of hops, but I still find it to be a tasty brew. The mouthfeel isn't bad, it's got a decent bubbly feel and it's a little thick too. Overall I had so much Killian's when I started drinking beers that I thought I'd had enough of it. I found myself with a 6 pack given to me on my birthday so here I go again with the old school stuff again.

Knapp85, Jul 22, 2011
1.27/5  rDev -58.1%

Friend brought me 2 of these.
Haven't had one in 5+ years.
12oz->Hoegaarden

A ~ Heads gone in 30 seconds but the carbonation is style bumpin'. . .Looks like weak tea that's been carbonated. . .Or Coors with food coloring in it. Wait a second!

S ~ Smells like corn & tap water.

T ~ Tastes like corn and very wet dough.

M ~ Light bodied, but very Cloying and sticky. Touch of dryness that overcoats the tounge. Is this hops or just the excessive amount of grain in this brew?

D ~ I'm done with this brew. It tastes like Coors light. I have one more in my fridge that I will probably give away, or use for a marinade. That is the only thing that beers like this are good for.

chocosushi, Jul 21, 2011
3.03/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.
(review from notes)

pours a medium amber tone while yielding a finger beige/tan colored head; not much in the way of retention or lacing.

not much doin' in the nose. subdued notes of caramel malt and some graininess. nothing to write home about.

flavor delivers a bit of toasted, maybe caramel malt, some grain, and maybe a touch of hops in the background. inoffensive but decidedly underwhelming. thin, medium-light bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall, not a drainpour but completely unremarkable. an average beer at best.

perrymarcus, Jul 19, 2011

Red amber color, clear, with a dun colored head of marginal stickiness.

Aroma and flavor can generously be termed clean. Very light and unoffensive. Grains are forefront, thee are lightly toasted. Mineral water and carbonation ar noted.

Boring, and not even a very good accompaniment to fish and chips. Golden, CO does Old Eire no favors here.

BretSikkink, Jul 11, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -20.8%

Can't remember how this beer got in the beer fridge, but I'll drink it.

Best By 8/15/11

Poured into Pint Glass

Appearance-Dark amber, red and brown hues. 2 Finger brownish, almost yellow head. Minimal lacing and no retention.

Smell-Sweet malts

Taste-Sweet malts all the way through. Grainy. Very one dimensional. Finish has a light bitterness.

Mouthfeel-Not too much carbonation, very watery. Not impressed.

Overall-Better then most BMCs. Only compliment I have.

SWMeyer4141, Jul 08, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -7.6%

served in a beer mug
consume by june 6 2011 (consumed on 4 - 23 -11)

a - pours a crystal clear copper color with a finger of tan foamy head. lots of bubbles in the glass and head retention is good. no lacing to speak of.

s - malty, nutty, hops are almost there but not quite.

t - malty sweet and kinda grainy. has that distinct, almost pungent, bitterness that most macro lagers have. not much going on here, but at least it's balanced.

m - thin with too much carbonation.

o - could (and have) had many of these in a night. not exciting in any way, but also not bad for booze on the cheap.

divineaudio, Jul 01, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -10.9%

12 oz bottle into pint...

Pours deep amber red in color with two fingers of caramel colored head. Poor retention and zero decoration left on the glass...

Not a whole lot on the nose. Getting some slight caramel sweet malt aromas, with not much else.

Semi-sweet caramel malt with minimal hop presence. Burnt sugar and nutty flavors. Not terrible, but definitely not good either.

Light and watery bodied. Bleh... Easy to drink for sure and I could probably pound a six pack in an hour or so, but why bother?

Typical BMC hogwash disguising itself as craft. Not horrendously bad, but I'd never buy it.

mocktm, Jun 28, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

A-Light tan head that quickly breaks down. Moderate CO2. Clear amber/red color.

S-Lightly roasted barley malt with a hint of alcohol, typical backnote of a lager.

T-Upfront a lightly toasted malt character that quickly gives way to adjunct lager taste. Is crisp/quick finish with very low bitter aftertaste.

M-Moderate carbonation, thin/medium bodied

D-Easy to drink, the hint of alcohol and adjuncts (maybe some DMS) are the faults.

O-Pretty plain if compared to a red, but easy to drink and good flavor compared to most lagers. Not a bad beer.

deebo, Jun 18, 2011
3.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Not much to say about this one...I wanted to try an Irish Red and this was all that was on tap. Average all around beer. i'd drink it again, but it wouldn't be the first thing I grabbed for. Color was amber red, smell was sweet and malty, however taste just wasn't there. All I tasted was bitter.

Overall disappointing, but it's widely available and not *that* bad. Grab something better if you see it, but this is an alright go-to Red. I didn't know it was Coors, but I'll most likely try to avoid in the future if possible.

Northsider, Jun 01, 2011
1.98/5  rDev -34.7%

A - a dark red/maroon to amber color, with a modest head that actually lasted longer than I expected. The appearance is probably the best thing about this beer.

S - I couldn't pick up much of any scent, but at least it wasn't offensive. Maybe some weak bread scents, if anything.

T - tasted like sourdough bread to me. Malts flavor is dominant, but weak. There's a few seconds of a bitter/sour taste, then it's gone. Nothing complex or interesting going on here. But nothing offensive either.

M - watery. Not much carbonation.

O - not impressed, but considering it is a macro lager, it could be worse.

DeltaGolfSierra, May 25, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't want to spend a lot of time on this one. I've never been a fan of Coors, and this seems to me like faux-craft more than anything. I know a few people who sport Killian's as their go-to's, (and I don't think any worse of them), but I've had it before and never thought much of it. I've never really scrutinized it, though, and that's what I'm here to do now. Let's go:

Served on-tap at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Avon, Indiana.

A: This is one of the enduring things I like about Killian's. The say Irish Red, and they mean it. It a deep red with brown highlights, sporting a 2-finger white head. Lacing and head fade quickly, but it's because it's more like a micro-carb than anything.

S: This is where it starts to go downhill. Mostly cheap alcohol and mild yeast in the nose. There's some dark bitters, but it fades disappointingly quickly.

T: The flavor is at least a little more complex. Earthy yeast is satisfying, but gives way to some cheap, artificially fruity wheat. Not a great overtone. Underneath that, though, is a hint of dark coffee and some unidentifiable sweetness. It's almost like a syrupy mocha. A decent palate.

M: Smooth, but much more syrupy than the look implied. It's almost slimy.

O: A decent offering from Coors (considering their current bestsellers), but still not a go-to for me. On-tap, in a bottle: no thanks.

BarryMFBurton, May 16, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -58.7%

First had: probably back in high school, stolen from a friend's dad's fridge or something.

Well, it's better than Coors Light anyway. Poured a clear, reddish-amber, carbonated, and a small white head. Sweet malty aroma...not much else to speak of. Light, sweet taste, malts, burnt sugar, bitter, and pretty weak. Light, watery body, stale, and a bitter aftertaste. Drinkable if you want drink whole cases at a time and get wasted. Otherwise, avoid this one.

Rifugium, May 08, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -13.2%

This is one of those beers your friend buys for everyone. He wants to impress everyone by buying something "different".

Smells like any other domestic beer to me.

Nothing noteworthy in the taste. Bland.
I like beers that capture my tongue and make my tastebuds go crazy. None of that going on here.

I will say that the carbonation is nice and it's drinkable.

burkyburk, May 04, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +13.2%

A- Poured a darker amber color that's often associated with red lager. About a half-finger head, dissapated with some pretty good lacing. Presented a very inviting sight on a hot day, with a little bit of sweat on the glass.

S- A bit underwhelming of a smell. Mostly toasted malts, a touch of cereal grains.

T- Only a touch of hops, and primarily this beer is about the malts. Not much of that caramel flavor that you find in most red lagers. The taste is nothing exceptional, but it's pretty enjoyable, all things considered

M- Pretty good level of carbonation. Not overcarbonated like most cheaper, macrobrewed beer. Very smooth, without a lot of body.

O- I do enjoy this beer when I crave a red lager, as it's widely available and not hard on the wallet if you feel like using them to stay refreshed on a hot day. Not the best there is, but definitely worth sampling.

CrazGreek, May 02, 2011
3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

A: The pour is a sort of brownish red color with a short lived off-white head.

S: Certainly not the most pleasing aroma. Really kind of harsh with green apple and over-roasted/burnt malts. There is a little bit of burnt toast in there too, which I don't find all that appealing.

T: Flavor is slightly better but still sort of bitter and harsh. More of the burnt toast flavor. I don't get a lot of the caramel type flavors that I would associate with a red beer. No hop flavor, but definitely some bitterness.

M: The mouthfeel is one good thing about this beer. Medium in body with a moderate to high carbonation.

O: Disappointing. I remember liking this beer several years back, but every time I've had it since then, it's been a real let down.

womencantsail, Apr 30, 2011