George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
plaid75

3.03/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured a medium amber hue with a half finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light toasted malt with a bit of sweet corn.

The taste consisted of a sweet and syrupy malt with hints of corn and a slight flowery hop.

The mouthfeel was of average fullness for the style.

Overall not all that bad ice cold and on tap. Easy enough to drink.

02-11-2008 02:12:11 | More by plaid75
champ103

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%

A: A clear amber/red color. Small head that fades fast, and little lace.
S: Not bad, kind of fruity with some carmel malt.
T: Blah, not that good. Just kind of bland.
M/D: This is a little to carbonated for me. Nothing over the top, drinkable.

I use to drink this all the time in college. I thought this was great stuff compared to BMC (which I guess it is). All in all a beer that one of the big boys made to make people think they are drinking a premium beer. Though, I still drink it from time to time if nothing else is available at a bar.

02-10-2008 02:19:00 | More by champ103
Ozone34

2.83/5  rDev -6.9%

Most places carry this and is a good last resort beer. Decent amber/carmamel malts little to no hops and average C02.

Makes swill drinkers think they are trying import brew. Maybe a good diving start to craft/micro brewing.

All in all average beer when nothing else is available.

02-07-2008 23:42:08 | More by Ozone34
kevman527

2.17/5  rDev -28.6%

Had it on my porch, with it being some what mild today for February here in upstate NY, was the perfect temperature did not have to let it sit.

Appearance - High clarity, very much a copper color. No head retention. Dissipated quickly.

Smell - Only thing I could smell was a little bit of earthy maltiness. Couldn't detect any hoppiness.

Taste - Nothing special about the taste either, nothing stood out but, it wasn't a awful taste.

M & D - Very smooth low carbonation, about the only good thing about this beer is that it would be easy to drink several of them.

02-06-2008 00:48:36 | More by kevman527
Hoagie1973

2.3/5  rDev -24.3%

I used to think this beer was ok, but the older I get, the more it pisses me off.

The best thing about this beer is it's appearance. Pours a very nice reddish amber with a decent head.

Upon first sip, one notices a distinct earthy flavor, as if they allow the malt to mold before roasting. Either that or there's a guy in the brewery who's job is to put a spoonful of dirt into each bottle. And that's when it's fresh! If you happen to get a stale six it's all of the above mixed with copper penny.

It's still better than most commercial beers, but not by much. If you enjoyed partaking of the occasional mouthful from the sandbox as a kid, this beer just might be for you. Otherwise choose one of the many other superior ambers/reds out there for about the same money.

02-05-2008 17:50:35 | More by Hoagie1973
clayrock81

2.58/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured into a pint glass and received very little head from this transparent, golden hue with touch of red brew. The smell is very faint of hops, and that is it. The taste is similiar to other Coors products with some slight tweaking. The mouthfeel is very slick and plain, mostly water and there is some slight malts on the backend that make it different. Compared to other dark Euros or Irish reds this is complete garbage, but compared to its macro brethern it is not that bad. My mom hates beer, but will drink this once in a while. I will finish the review on that note.

01-30-2008 18:31:14 | More by clayrock81
bboven

3.55/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Rated per style, not preference by me!!

Medium-light amber body, clear with a thin ring of carbonation that leaves some lacing if you really try.

Sweet and a touch roasty, also a touch sour.

Pretty sweet but a tiny bit astringent, very very little bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated, thin and not very drying.

For what it is, not bad. If you let it warm a little more than fridge temps, it actually shows some decent flavor and aroma. Surprising, actually.

01-23-2008 23:17:43 | More by bboven
Liquids

Connecticut

2.73/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a transparent amber-orange color with a foamy head that is off white, looks great for a macro especially, visible carbonation rising. Aroma is a little bit macro like, a bit of sweet aroma and a very little bit of hop aromas. Doesn't smell noticeably fresh, overall not the best aroma but nothing awful. Taste is rather macro like, and more so than I remember it. Even ice cold it has that adjunct flavor, a strange sweetness that is not malts; its a bit better than the pale macro stuff but I wouldn't be surprised if the color difference was mostly a dye. I've had this on tap in the past on occasion and thought it was decent but not quite sure why at this point; I'm glad I only bought a single and demoed it before I passed it on as a beer for friends to drink. Reminds me a bit of Yuengling. Mouthfeel is fine for the style, medium light. While it's not as undrinkable as a Budweiser, I'd rather not say it's drinkable. It's really not an Irish red, probably not even a euro dark lager; if I ever dare be confused enough to drink this again, I want to warn myself to remember that it's distinctly an American Macro (Amber) Lager, and nothing more.

01-23-2008 16:45:06 | More by Liquids
mobud

Delaware

2.23/5  rDev -26.6%

Bottle into SA glass.

A- Redsh brown ith a light head that goes quickly. Soda like carbonation.

S- Rich berry with a lager base.

T- Berry soda-like with carbonation clouding any real flavor.

M- Very thin.

D- Not real my bag. Someone was thinking that this was up my alley, but it was a sad disappointment for the both of us.

01-21-2008 19:53:26 | More by mobud
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

3.38/5  rDev +11.2%

12 oz. twist-off> 16 oz. SA glass

This is a nice deep amber color with rusty-red hues, totally clear, good carbonation that forms a quick, active, all-white head that goes away pretty fast.

Oooh...the aroma is nice, vaniila and marshmellow's scented malt is good. balanced by a mild spiciness in the hop with hardy wheat.

The flavor is much of the same, the sweet-vanilla malt carries over but the malt is also bready, couples with herbal, spicey hop notes...pretty clean with a mellow but sweet-wheatiness at it's core.

Light to medium, crisp and slightly slick going down.

This one ain't bad.

01-18-2008 20:55:01 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
atrus138

Kentucky

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%

Had this on-tap served (unfortunately) in chilled mugs. Reddish amber color that is crystal-clear. Some fluffy-looking head quickly goes, leaving little lacing behind. Smell is pretty clean. Mostly sweet malts. Taste is quite bready. Kind of like biting into a Pillsbury roll. Fruity notes are also present, most notably orange and lemon. Feels extremely thin, though will enough carbonation to do the trick. Finishes bone dry. There is definitely better beer out there. However, in a pinch, this will do just fine.

01-18-2008 06:20:06 | More by atrus138
mmatt1

3.83/5  rDev +26%

I would say this beer is pretty good, nothing over the top. The smell is pretty sweet, it also doesnt have that hopiness to it. The appereance is obviously red. There isnt a whole lot of taste to it, it ends pretty abrupt after it goes down, no big aftertaste at all.

01-18-2008 01:25:42 | More by mmatt1
rrob311

New Hampshire

3.13/5  rDev +3%

I bought a couple of 12 packs of these it is pretty easy to find.

A- This beer is very dark and is almost a reddish amber color, very interesting.

S- This beer smells good and is kind of sweet.

T- This beer doesnt have very much flavor to speak of but is not bitter at all.

M- the mouthfeel is average.

D- I can drink a few of these with a meal, its not bad.

12-31-2007 21:48:49 | More by rrob311
skeetermoses

Oklahoma

2.38/5  rDev -21.7%

I was turned on to this beer by a louisiana roomate of mine. it is a beer that is offered by many and has a somewhat decent taste to it. I can truley say that I have a hangover without a bad drink. Go ahead and order this one. it is good wihyh cheap food.

12-31-2007 09:13:19 | More by skeetermoses
TexIndy

2.35/5  rDev -22.7%

When I first started to venture beyond Bud Light and Miller Light this was one of the beers that showed me that beer could have flavor. At the time, I thought it was groundbreaking. My how times have changed. While better than Macro or Macro Light, it just doesn't hold up after trying so many great beers. With that said, I'm still glad that I tried waaay back when as it opened my eyes.
Poured from a 12oz bottle with best by date on the neck. It was an amber color with decent carb and no lacing. It had a small head that evaporated quickly. The aroma was weak malt and kinda skunky. The taste was mostly bland with a bit of sweetness to separate it from the Macros. Mouthfeel was watery. While I'll always have fond memories of this one, I've grown up and it's stayed the same (Not again)

12-29-2007 03:13:53 | More by TexIndy
n0315

2.78/5  rDev -8.6%

I always think cinnamon when I drink this, and given that its "red", thats probably a good name for it. A typical beer for people thinking they drink import but really are not.

Smell is of strong cinnamon, doesn't smell like a normal beer.

mouthfeel is thick, but not too thick. feels weird to me anyway.

I cannot drink too much of this or I will get sick. Leaves a "washy" feeling in my stomach.

12-27-2007 22:48:02 | More by n0315
Greggy

2.6/5  rDev -14.5%

Presentation: Twist off bottle with date stamp on neck. Doesn't clarify if it is a best by or bottled date.

Appearance: Poured heavy into a 16 oz weizen glass, I was greeting with a nice head, although not thick. The head receded quickly and left a nice lace. The color was a nice red amber.

Smell: Pretty sweet on the nose with caramel and some other indescribable notes. A little to much alcohol came across for me.

Taste: During the taste you can definitely taste a faint caramel and sweet malt that leaves a pretty sweet finish, although rather clean. There is little to be said about mouth feel on this brew other than sweet and very low carbonation which didn't seem to jive with the overall light sweetness of the brew.

Notes: Something I bought once prior to beer advocate knowledge thinking it was better than a macro. Knowing know, I know this beer is nothing more than decent. I would definitely reach for this before many other macros but I could think of hundreds of other beers I would rather try.

12-26-2007 04:26:00 | More by Greggy
Overlord

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%

A friend of mine swears by this beer, so I picked up a sixer. Didn't realize it was made by Coors until I punched it up on this site.

Pours an attractive amber color with an inch or so white head. So far, so good. Taste is fairly bland. Some malt, maybe a hint of bitterness (could be hops, but tough to make out the flavor). Nice, pleasant beer, but certainly nothing to write home about. For the price, there are lots better. Carbonation/mouthfeel was pleasant.

12-22-2007 03:43:35 | More by Overlord
chrispot

Georgia

2.93/5  rDev -3.6%

I like this beer, do not get me wrong, but as far as being a good beer, killian's is not one. It smells like a coors but drinks much better.
A- A beautiful amber color with a mild one finger head

S- Smell is nothing special, the only notable scent is a light sweet caramel.

T- I like how this beer tastes, but its not top. It tastes mildly bitter and watered down.

M- mouthfeel is fairly bland, but the hopiness is present in the feel.

D- I tend to drink Killian's when I plan on getting drunk. (not sure if it is Ba sacreligious to like a beer for quantity).

12-19-2007 01:50:41 | More by chrispot
NCBeernut

2.25/5  rDev -26%

BLEH. I saw some mentions of hops in other reviews. Coors must have forgot to put them in my batch. This was one of the first beers that got me off of macro light lagers, so I decided to revisit it. Not entirely bad, but there is an overpowering, unbalanced sugary sweetness that I really don't care for. Maybe it is different on-tap. Disappointed.

Edit: I stupidly decided to buy this shit when it went on sale again. It is even worse now. I don't know if this is because I have developed my beer palate more or because it just somehow got worse. Slight bitter taste that is not a hoppiness but has more skunk character. These bottles were hidden from light in a 12 pack (fuck i have 11 more of these) and aren't out of date.

12-06-2007 17:58:59 | More by NCBeernut
madjr80

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pretty decent beer to drink if its on special. I know its made by Coors, but it has a good malty after taste that doesn't remind me of a macro. Its a great session beer because you sometimes can get a good deal on a 20 pack. To some it up I would say it is one of the better average beers.

11-13-2007 04:31:17 | More by madjr80
sweetkness

2.73/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance - Poured with a decent sized airy head which settled quite quickly. Very nice amber color.

Smell - Slight caramel malt aroma.

Taste - Average for the style. More sweetness than I would like, not enough malt profile.

Mouthfeel - Seemed to be lacking much body. Above average carbonation.

Drinkability - Pretty smooth, but not necessarily a beer I would choose to drink several of.

Not a bad beer, basically the Budweiser of red lagers.

10-13-2007 04:49:49 | More by sweetkness
armock

3.9/5  rDev +28.3%

I Know this comes from one of the major players this is one of my favorites in places that aren't diverse in beers. It has a light amber color with a thin head. I think it has an inviting smell. The taste has a little sweet hoppy flavor. In my mouth it had a light carbonation and was very smooth. I think this is one of those good beers thats light enough to drink all night very enjoyable.

10-08-2007 06:36:20 | More by armock
Amalak

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Out of the bottle it has a clear reddish hue. There was a solid head with a slight lace.

S: There's a slight sweetness to it.

T: This is a great, easy-going beer. I used to think this beer was no better than a Bud until I did a blind taste-test and was surprised how high I rated it.

M: A little bit dry, a little bit bitter, but it is "clean" on the palate.

D: It is easy to drink, and has far more flavor than say a Bud or Coors (as is its parent company).

For the style of beer, cheap, American produced brew, it is better than most. Not a bad beer at all.

10-07-2007 21:16:57 | More by Amalak
tempest

2.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Starts with a decent, albeit simple caramel malt aroma, but goes downhill from there. The flavor holds the nice caramel at first, but it gives way to a very unpleasant, almost acidic bitterness that's not fun at all. This beer isn't even inoffensive. I'd drink one if given to me, but I wouldn't finish it.

10-04-2007 02:29:00 | More by tempest