George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
2.08/5  rDev -31.4%

I saw this beer in a six pack at the grocery store on sale for right around six bucks. The first thing that went through my mind was, “An Irish red in a six pack for 6 bucks, may as well give it a try!” The beer really has no smell to speak of maybe a small hint of malt. The taste isn’t bad because there really is no taste. It’s very light and slightly fruity and crisp almost like a very, very light Wee Heavy. Feel in the mouth was like water. I later found out that the name Killian was purchased by Coors back in the 1980’s. I’m not sure how close this beer is to the original Lett’s Irish Red it’s based off of but it really isn’t a very good beer, not worthy of the title Irish Red anyway.

3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

A:Dark red, hints of copper. White cream lace, that lingers ever so slightly. Like a whisp of sqalled ocean on a hurricane eve.

S: A deep smell of malt and macintosh apples, with a hint of strawberry jam.

T: A burnt crystal malt is what dominates the first flavor notes. Lingering flavors of grain, apple, mango.

D: Easy going down. Not much complexity to keep you interested.

O: One and done, if you bought 6, keep the other 5 in the fridge to lure your friends away from your other good beer.

2.5/5  rDev -17.5%

Serving glass: Poured from tap into mug.

Appearance: Somewhat dark amber with moderate white head.

Smell: Very light caramel and metallic hops. Extremely faint.

Taste: Caramel and bready malts with very light spicy hops. Not much going on, but I guess it tastes fine. A little sweet.

Feel: Moderately high carbonation, light body. Could be a little drier.

Overall: I remember thinking this was a high quality brew in college. How the times have changed.

Of all the Irish Red Ale's I have had in my area, this is the easiest to get. I might prefer Saranac or even Sam Adams over Killian's but it is still a good drinking Irish Red. It does pour darker than other Irish Red's I have had but the taste is still there and is not overpowering.

2.68/5  rDev -11.6%

This beer is one of those average beers you get at a bar after you have had 10 drinks. It is cheap and easy to drink. The taste is not really there at all. You get a little bit decent flavors, but it is pretty bland for the most part. The smell is just like a basic beer and the mouthfeel is that of a lot of carbonation. Overall this is just an average beer. I would never seek this out just to have it, but I have had worse.

2.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Had this on tap tonight at Scotty's Brewhouse, West Lafayette.

Overall, I was not impressed. Had the typical "Irish Red" muted smell and taste. To me any Irish beer always has a thicker mouthfeel with a more muted, subtle taste. Killian's had this, but you can definitely tell it is a macro product. Little taste profile overall, but what it does have is mostly malt profile and little to no hops.

The appearance although wasn't too bad. A darker reddish color that you could see through. Also, only an average head at best. Mostly fizzy and dissipated very quickly.

Overall, a good change-up from a light lager, but not something I'm going to seek out again.

3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a clear, pale amber with 1/4" of light, bubbly head that quickly fades. The nose has notes of faint caramel malts. The taste has a caramel sweetness and a faint hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is light, crisp, and a little heavily carbonated.

This ones a little one dimensional, a little sweet, and a little too carbonated. It's drinkable and sessionable though.

2.8/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a pint glass 20 minutes after being out of the fridge.

Light amber, clear. Head and lacing don't last.

smell is sweet and nutty. little to no hop aroma. very mild sour apple notes.

taste is...eh. picking up more malts than hops.

very light/watery mouthfeel. medium carbonation. A lot of the flavors just seem so muted and i'm not sure if it's the beer or because it's from a bottle...

overall a fairly light beer. Not exactly something i'd want to session unless it came from tap...then maybe.

2.93/5  rDev -3.3%

Best by: Dec 05, 2011

A: Pours deep clear red/copper brown. Nice thick head that fades slowly. It looks a lot better than you'd expect from such a common amber.

S: Subtle floral notes, some malt and nuts

T: Roasted nuts, malts

M: Thin, a bit watery from the bottle. I'll note that I've had this on tap and it's quite a bit more interesting that way.

O: One of my favorite cheap beers. This is what I always depend on if I'm low on cash but still want something I'll really enjoy. Killian's is a classic simple delicious amber.

3.18/5  rDev +5%

The best by date(Dec 5 2011) was placed at the base of the neck of the brown twist off top bottle. I poured it into a mug.The head was less then a finger and did not maintain itself. There was virtually no lacing. The color was redish amber. It was translucent. It smelled malty. It tasted yeasty, malty, and nutty. I did not detect much in the way of hops. The mouthfeel was close to that of carbonated water. The whole roof of my mouth felt the carbonation. There was a mildly sweet finish with a metalic hint and a lingering mild bitterness. This was the only Irish Red I've had and so can't compare with others of the style. I wasn't repelled by it and for the price(under 6 dollars for a six) it's an ok beer.

3.9/5  rDev +28.7%

Pours out amber/red very clear and bubbly with nice white head.Taste has a slight nutlike flavor,no bitterness,no cloying aftertaste.

This was the first amber beer I ever tried, back in the day; this is a revisitation tasting.

Judge it on it's own, it does not really compare to actual Irish Red's.

2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

Truly res with an off white head. Aromas of bread and earth with a touch of yeast based fruitiness. Some light notes of buttered multigrain toast. Taste is smooth with a nice toasted malt flavor and light nuttiness. Finish is dry and clean with mild bitterness. Somewhat fizzy feel detracts from a overall crispness. Just enough body to keep it from being watery. Not a great beer but certainly not the worst either. A beer you can have more than one of and not feel bad about.

Color- Red with a nice head that last for a while
Smell- You can smell the malt layored ontop of the hops.
taste- hazelnut shows through to me. It is taste very nice on the tounge.
mouthfeel- smooth with a creamy finish. There is no real bite on it.
Overall- I feel like I grew up on this beer. I drank this beer in college when we didnt drink bud light...Now as a craft beer lover it still has a nice taste that changes with food pairings. Yes I understand they fall under coors but it is still a nice beer.

Got a pitcher for cheap with a pizza in Dekalb, it was a near free deal, win.
Color is a pale redish color that is translucent and shows carbination.
The aroma and flavors are lacking any strong notes but some caramel in the distance is most noticable. any other notes of hops or others are so faint as to be undetectable under the minor malt presence.
Body is light and carbinatied and clean and refreshing. ok to drink with pizza and you dont want to interfere with the other flavors.

Poured from 12oz bottle into beveled pint glass

A - Nice clear copper with a 1 finger tan head, fades to a thin cap and leaves good lacing

S - Lots of malt character in the nose, toasted biscuits, sweet toffee, salt, pecans. No real hop aromas.

T - Much the same as the nose, toasted biscuits, berad dough, toffee, pecans, and a earthy hop flavor as well.

M - Nice and dry with an acid bite from the carbonation, medium body, nice carbonation.

O - Good beer, I enjoy a Killian's Irish Red (regardless of who owns it). Nice and malty, touch of bitterness to balance, light hop flavor dancing with in lots of great maltiness. Very drinkable.

2.78/5  rDev -8.3%

From 08/26/11 notes. Had on tap in Holmes Beach, Florida at some random restaurant built out on a pier. Served in a pint glass.

a - Pours a reddish amber color with high carbonation evident and one inch of off white head.

s - Smells of roasted malts, nuts, caramel and toasted malts. Not bad at all.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, light bready malts, light nuts, and toasted malts, but seems a bit watered down. Small step down from the nose.

m - Medium body and high carbonation. Easy to drink but way overcarbonated.

o - Overall an average beer but way better than something like Coors Lite. Would have it again at a bar with macro beers.

2.55/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The beer appeared a decent, clear red copper color. It produced a large, light, foamy head. It almost appeared to me to be over carbonated. The head, in the blink of an eye, dissipated into nothing. The beer gave off a light malt aroma and not much else. The taste of the beer followed suit, a slightly sweet roasted malts, but it seemed watered down. No aftertaste to mention, but make sure that you drink it while it is cold. I let it sit for a few minutes while grilling and it got a bit warm and I could not finish it, dumped it straight into the yard. The beer was light bodied and seemed over carbonated. Not exactly easy to drink, but easier than some. Overall, I remember it being better in my college days, but then again, I really didn't drink good beer than. After this one, I am going to stay away from it.

3.48/5  rDev +14.9%

Crazy sale on this at the local mart and bought since I hadn't tried it before.

A: Reddish copper with a small head

S: Definitely some malt, maybe some nut

T: Roasty with good carb

M: Good but after the first two I got a buttery type feeling in my mouth similar to the last review.

O: Backup beer at best, used for power hour.

2.78/5  rDev -8.3%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - Clear reddish copper colour with a large size fizzy beige coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fairly good lacing. The head lasted for around 4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, butterscotch, roasted nuts, dark fruits

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, butterscotch, and some dark fruits - either raisins or cherries. I can also taste a bit of a metallic flavour and a rustiness. The beer finishes with a buttery dark fruit aftertaste.

Overall - Towards the end of the glass the taste really started to remind me of buttered popcorn.. that probably isn't a good thing when drinking a beer. It wasn't undrinkable, but this is not something I'd buy again.

A. Pours a dark red with a thin white head that has very little if any retention or lacing, but has lots of carbonation.
S. The nose has some grains in it along with a slight biscuit and caramel scent.
T. The taste has some watered down sweet malts in it along with some caramel that lost its flavoring. I also taste some grains that seem to have been around too long and leaves in unpleasant taste in the mouth.
M/O. The mouthfeel is rather dry, but still easy to drink and overall this is one poor excuse for a beer. I have never tried the import ones from France or Ireland, but if this was a good beer then coors sure has ruined it.

3.18/5  rDev +5%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a brownish red, about a fingers worth of head that dissipates pretty quickly, no lacing to speak of.

S: All I'm really getting is some sweet roasted malt.

T: Just like the smell... sweet roasted malt from start to finish. No real aftertaste to speak of.

M: Pretty light bodied for the style... also more crisp with carbonation for the style than I'm used too.

D: When I turned 21 this was Micro in my area.... So I'm a fan from way back.... Now that I'm into exploring the world of beer this one is not as Micro as I had thought back in the day.... But it still kind of hold a special place in my heart... Is is outstanding as I remembered it.... Well no but it is not bad either... Trip down memory lane.

3.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Well, I enjoyed this beer a lot when I turned 21, but I have hardly had it for a while, so I decided to revisit it for a review.

Appearance: A nice amber color, crystal clear, with a short tan head that dissipates fast, leaving no lacing

Smell: All malts. Caramel and toasted grain.

Taste: Nice and malty, not really much in the way of hops to balance out the malty sweetness. Some caramel and toasted grain flavor in there

Mouthfeel: Light body, high carbonation

Overall: Not bad, a decent gateway brew, and something good to have once in a while, but nothing spectacular. I still enjoy it, so I'm willing to still give money to Coors for this brew.

3.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Color- Amber/copper with an off-white head.

Aroma- hoppy, grainy, malty, bitter.

Taste- hoppy, grainy, malty, bitter.

It's a good quality beer, and it is pleasant in both aroma and taste. However, personally, this is a little too bitter to drink just for drinking. I had another one to go with my food. So, it goes very well with food, but it's sort of hard to drink unless you need something really stiff. I've had beers with much higher IBUs, but for whatever reason I notice the bitterness is much more distracting to me in this beer.

It's worth buying a six pack to try. Do it. -_-

4.13/5  rDev +36.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: Beer is an auburn color with some definite tendencies towards gold. Fairly decent carbonation, and a head that lasts only momentarily, but looks good while it lasts. Head is just off-white.

Smell: I really, really like Killian's. There's a malt sweetness with just a touch of dark purple fruits (near-raisin-bread) and then, just a touch of grassy hop flavor to even it out. For a "popular" beer, this one actually holds its ground.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer is lightly carbonated (and the bubbles come on slow) giving you lots of time to savor the flavor. Slightly spiced (peppercorn, nutmeg/cinnamon) and lightly hopped (grassy), the real beauty here is the bready malt character that takes hold once the carbonation sets in. As beer warms, more of that sweetness shines through. Aftertaste is clean and crisp...mostly dry. Light malt.

Overall: Among its contemporaries (Budweiser, Coors, et cetera) this perennial favorite of the pubs and plazas has a special place in the hearts of those who remember that drinking beer doesn't have to be about "whatever gets you drunk." This popular brew actually has some substance to back it up.

*Note: I realize Coors owns the Killian's brand...my reference to "Coors" above is speaking of "Coors Banquet Beer."

3.48/5  rDev +14.9%

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - transparent ruby/orange under 2 fingers of khaki head

S - caramel and grain

T - toasted malt and caramel up front followed by a mild hop bite; grain and hops combine for a clean finish

M - medium-bodied and smooth; average carbonation

O - Killian's is simply an average brew. It is easy to drink and would probably be a good choice for the craft noob.

George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company