George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
1.27/5  rDev -58.1%

Friend brought me 2 of these.
Haven't had one in 5+ years.
12oz->Hoegaarden

A ~ Heads gone in 30 seconds but the carbonation is style bumpin'. . .Looks like weak tea that's been carbonated. . .Or Coors with food coloring in it. Wait a second!

S ~ Smells like corn & tap water.

T ~ Tastes like corn and very wet dough.

M ~ Light bodied, but very Cloying and sticky. Touch of dryness that overcoats the tounge. Is this hops or just the excessive amount of grain in this brew?

D ~ I'm done with this brew. It tastes like Coors light. I have one more in my fridge that I will probably give away, or use for a marinade. That is the only thing that beers like this are good for.

3.03/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.
(review from notes)

pours a medium amber tone while yielding a finger beige/tan colored head; not much in the way of retention or lacing.

not much doin' in the nose. subdued notes of caramel malt and some graininess. nothing to write home about.

flavor delivers a bit of toasted, maybe caramel malt, some grain, and maybe a touch of hops in the background. inoffensive but decidedly underwhelming. thin, medium-light bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall, not a drainpour but completely unremarkable. an average beer at best.

Red amber color, clear, with a dun colored head of marginal stickiness.

Aroma and flavor can generously be termed clean. Very light and unoffensive. Grains are forefront, thee are lightly toasted. Mineral water and carbonation ar noted.

Boring, and not even a very good accompaniment to fish and chips. Golden, CO does Old Eire no favors here.

2.4/5  rDev -20.8%

Can't remember how this beer got in the beer fridge, but I'll drink it.

Best By 8/15/11

Poured into Pint Glass

Appearance-Dark amber, red and brown hues. 2 Finger brownish, almost yellow head. Minimal lacing and no retention.

Smell-Sweet malts

Taste-Sweet malts all the way through. Grainy. Very one dimensional. Finish has a light bitterness.

Mouthfeel-Not too much carbonation, very watery. Not impressed.

Overall-Better then most BMCs. Only compliment I have.

2.8/5  rDev -7.6%

served in a beer mug
consume by june 6 2011 (consumed on 4 - 23 -11)

a - pours a crystal clear copper color with a finger of tan foamy head. lots of bubbles in the glass and head retention is good. no lacing to speak of.

s - malty, nutty, hops are almost there but not quite.

t - malty sweet and kinda grainy. has that distinct, almost pungent, bitterness that most macro lagers have. not much going on here, but at least it's balanced.

m - thin with too much carbonation.

o - could (and have) had many of these in a night. not exciting in any way, but also not bad for booze on the cheap.

2.7/5  rDev -10.9%

12 oz bottle into pint...

Pours deep amber red in color with two fingers of caramel colored head. Poor retention and zero decoration left on the glass...

Not a whole lot on the nose. Getting some slight caramel sweet malt aromas, with not much else.

Semi-sweet caramel malt with minimal hop presence. Burnt sugar and nutty flavors. Not terrible, but definitely not good either.

Light and watery bodied. Bleh... Easy to drink for sure and I could probably pound a six pack in an hour or so, but why bother?

Typical BMC hogwash disguising itself as craft. Not horrendously bad, but I'd never buy it.

3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

A-Light tan head that quickly breaks down. Moderate CO2. Clear amber/red color.

S-Lightly roasted barley malt with a hint of alcohol, typical backnote of a lager.

T-Upfront a lightly toasted malt character that quickly gives way to adjunct lager taste. Is crisp/quick finish with very low bitter aftertaste.

M-Moderate carbonation, thin/medium bodied

D-Easy to drink, the hint of alcohol and adjuncts (maybe some DMS) are the faults.

O-Pretty plain if compared to a red, but easy to drink and good flavor compared to most lagers. Not a bad beer.

3.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Not much to say about this one...I wanted to try an Irish Red and this was all that was on tap. Average all around beer. i'd drink it again, but it wouldn't be the first thing I grabbed for. Color was amber red, smell was sweet and malty, however taste just wasn't there. All I tasted was bitter.

Overall disappointing, but it's widely available and not *that* bad. Grab something better if you see it, but this is an alright go-to Red. I didn't know it was Coors, but I'll most likely try to avoid in the future if possible.

1.98/5  rDev -34.7%

A - a dark red/maroon to amber color, with a modest head that actually lasted longer than I expected. The appearance is probably the best thing about this beer.

S - I couldn't pick up much of any scent, but at least it wasn't offensive. Maybe some weak bread scents, if anything.

T - tasted like sourdough bread to me. Malts flavor is dominant, but weak. There's a few seconds of a bitter/sour taste, then it's gone. Nothing complex or interesting going on here. But nothing offensive either.

M - watery. Not much carbonation.

O - not impressed, but considering it is a macro lager, it could be worse.

2.58/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't want to spend a lot of time on this one. I've never been a fan of Coors, and this seems to me like faux-craft more than anything. I know a few people who sport Killian's as their go-to's, (and I don't think any worse of them), but I've had it before and never thought much of it. I've never really scrutinized it, though, and that's what I'm here to do now. Let's go:

Served on-tap at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Avon, Indiana.

A: This is one of the enduring things I like about Killian's. The say Irish Red, and they mean it. It a deep red with brown highlights, sporting a 2-finger white head. Lacing and head fade quickly, but it's because it's more like a micro-carb than anything.

S: This is where it starts to go downhill. Mostly cheap alcohol and mild yeast in the nose. There's some dark bitters, but it fades disappointingly quickly.

T: The flavor is at least a little more complex. Earthy yeast is satisfying, but gives way to some cheap, artificially fruity wheat. Not a great overtone. Underneath that, though, is a hint of dark coffee and some unidentifiable sweetness. It's almost like a syrupy mocha. A decent palate.

M: Smooth, but much more syrupy than the look implied. It's almost slimy.

O: A decent offering from Coors (considering their current bestsellers), but still not a go-to for me. On-tap, in a bottle: no thanks.

1.25/5  rDev -58.7%

First had: probably back in high school, stolen from a friend's dad's fridge or something.

Well, it's better than Coors Light anyway. Poured a clear, reddish-amber, carbonated, and a small white head. Sweet malty aroma...not much else to speak of. Light, sweet taste, malts, burnt sugar, bitter, and pretty weak. Light, watery body, stale, and a bitter aftertaste. Drinkable if you want drink whole cases at a time and get wasted. Otherwise, avoid this one.

2.63/5  rDev -13.2%

This is one of those beers your friend buys for everyone. He wants to impress everyone by buying something "different".

Smells like any other domestic beer to me.

Nothing noteworthy in the taste. Bland.
I like beers that capture my tongue and make my tastebuds go crazy. None of that going on here.

I will say that the carbonation is nice and it's drinkable.

3.43/5  rDev +13.2%

A- Poured a darker amber color that's often associated with red lager. About a half-finger head, dissapated with some pretty good lacing. Presented a very inviting sight on a hot day, with a little bit of sweat on the glass.

S- A bit underwhelming of a smell. Mostly toasted malts, a touch of cereal grains.

T- Only a touch of hops, and primarily this beer is about the malts. Not much of that caramel flavor that you find in most red lagers. The taste is nothing exceptional, but it's pretty enjoyable, all things considered

M- Pretty good level of carbonation. Not overcarbonated like most cheaper, macrobrewed beer. Very smooth, without a lot of body.

O- I do enjoy this beer when I crave a red lager, as it's widely available and not hard on the wallet if you feel like using them to stay refreshed on a hot day. Not the best there is, but definitely worth sampling.

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

A: The pour is a sort of brownish red color with a short lived off-white head.

S: Certainly not the most pleasing aroma. Really kind of harsh with green apple and over-roasted/burnt malts. There is a little bit of burnt toast in there too, which I don't find all that appealing.

T: Flavor is slightly better but still sort of bitter and harsh. More of the burnt toast flavor. I don't get a lot of the caramel type flavors that I would associate with a red beer. No hop flavor, but definitely some bitterness.

M: The mouthfeel is one good thing about this beer. Medium in body with a moderate to high carbonation.

O: Disappointing. I remember liking this beer several years back, but every time I've had it since then, it's been a real let down.

3.5/5  rDev +15.5%

I am re-reviewing this beer with a better educated palate.

Pours to a reddish amber color and thin off-white head. Aroma is of caramel malt and sweet pale malt and a wisp of hops. Slightly bready/biscuity in the nose. Flavor is typical american amber lager up-front but resolves to a very pleasant lingering fresh and crisp maltiness that stays around a long time. This beer is better than I remember it being way back about 8 years ago. It has a very malt-oriented profile. The only drawback is the thin, harsh macro-lager mouthfeel. The hops only serve to balance the sweetness. As good as Amber Bock if not a touch better in the malt profile. There are better Irish Reds out there.

2.68/5  rDev -11.6%

When I was more naive, this one helped me into the better beer world. Now I realize it's not really as great as I once thought. As for helping to initiate me, I thank it.

I poured this one rapidly to get the best viewing pleasure I could. I did get an inch of bubbly head, but i turned to cough and it was gone. Clarity of the red body is decent.

The aroma is essentially macro lager with maybe a slight addition of sweet caramel. The typical flavors of cereal grains, diacetyl, phenols, and a metallic twang do little to wake my olfactory sensory neurons.

It doesn't taste bad or offensive, and for that I am impressed. It's the absence of bad flavor that surprises me after the aroma. Perhaps that is what turned me on so many years back. It's sweet and clean, unfortunately caramel and a bit of grassy flavor is about all that lies within.

Back when, I thought "whoa, dark stuff". Nope, there is no body here. Aside from carbonation, it could get confused with H20. I could probably pound them like there's no tomorrow, but I think I've grown from that.

3.2/5  rDev +5.6%

Well on the appearance, it pours a small half finger head, it looks very nice though, a little creamy perhaps, and I can tell it's leaving ok lacing, considering it's made by Coors. The body is a little lame it's slightly transparent, and there is probably more carbonation than there should be. The body is a dark reddish brown, so it looks like a red should look like. The head is now gone, meh, it looks ok, the lacing is it's only redeeming factor, and we'll see if that lasts the whole way down. Well, the smell is a little interesting, the main smell is malt, and the average irish red smell, which is good, it's good that it actually has an irish red smell too it. The only thing weird is there is a distant smell, I can't make out what it is, it's not a Coors smell, it's just different, who knows maybe it wont be a bad flavor. Overall the aroma actually isn't that bad, pretty standard. Wow, well this one is hard to grade on taste. At first you get that Coorsy taste (so I guess I was wrong, it was a Coors smell), just that generic beer, adjunct taste. Then comes the more genuine irish red taste, malty and what not. Then in the finish you get a huge sweetness, it's not a malt sweetness, and it's not brown sugar or molasses or maple or anything like that. Frankly it tastes like they just poured table sugar in here, I know that sounds bad, but it finishes things off nicely. It would be different if it was SUPER overpowering, but it's not. It helps me forget about that Coors taste too. Overall, I mean, table sugar is no great micro brew ingredient, so I can't really give it points for that, but I will say that the taste isn't bad overall. Mouthfeel is pretty thin, which is what I was expecting, irish reds are supposed to be somewhat thin, but this is pretty fing thin, so nothing special there. The drinkability is pretty nice, the sugar tatse probably helps with that a lot, and the fact that it's light. Overall, not a bad beer, one of the better Coors brews out there, there is still that Coors taste, but oh well.

2.63/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle left over from St. Paddy's day celebration, poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a nice frothy (although slightly small) white head that dissipated quickly. A translucent orange brew, I'm always amazed when I revisit a beer like this (or Michelob Amber Bock) from my college/younger days and I used to think this was a "dark" beer... 3.0.

S: Muted smell of sweet barley and maybe a hint of corn bread. Not offensive but far from exceptional. 2.5

T: Simple. This brew would be pretty "well balanced" if it weren't for a mild (almost "cornbread") sweetness on the finish that, left unchecked, will probably detract from drinkability over an extended period of time. Unremarkable.

M: Good carbonation levels with a nice amount of "tingle" on the tongue, this beer finishes with a small amount of stickie sweetness.

D: There's not a lot to dislike here... but there's also not a lot to like. Ultimately, I want/need more of *something* in order to keep coming back for pint after pint... something that this beer just doesn't have. 2.5.

2.05/5  rDev -32.3%

A- Dark amber/red, with a thick foamy head that retains pretty well.
S- Weak aroma. Not terrible smelling, but it pretty much is just faint malt.
T- Sweet malt, with what's interesting is that there seems to be no flavor in the finish. It's kind of bizarre really.
M- Light and low carbed, lending a sense of wateryness to the beer.
O- It's slightly better than most macro lagers, but it's just not that great.

2.78/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Aptly named Irish Red, this beer is transparent, with a orangish-red hue. The head is big and billowy, something like 2 1/2 fingers, but it doesn't have much retention, so it disappears quickly and doesn't leave any lacing. Carbonation is noticeable, as it sticks to the sides of the glass everywhere.

S: Smells mostly like adjunct cereal grains, though it has the added benefit of some slight maltiness. Slightly more interesting that the average BMC beer.

T: Taste closely reflects that of the smell: A fair amount of sweet maltiness up front, which gives way into cereal grains and no hops to speak of. Not a very well balanced beer, and quite sweet for my taste without the balancing hops.

M: Mouthfeel is light, with medium-high amounts of carbonation. Ever so slightly sticky. Not much else to say.

O: A drinkable beer, but not one that I would buy or seek out. Better than the average offering from one of the big three, but certainly a far cry from true craft beer.

2.68/5  rDev -11.6%

APPEARANCE
It has very red and slightly brown color. It has good head retention and pours well

SMELL
It has the typical malt and barley smell, but not too strong.

TASTE
As it has weak smell, so does the taste. It actually taste like a light beer. Not that its bad in taste, but there is not much flavor.

MOUTHFEEL
It's well carbonated and is slightly coarsed.

OVERALL
It's not bad if you want to pound down beers in quantity, but as for taste, there is nothing special.

2.5/5  rDev -17.5%

A pint marketed as La Jolla Lager at the Manager's Reception, Embassy Suites San Diego - La Jolla.

From the venue, you could probably guest as to the freshness of the beer. Given that most of the folks were drinking this and not Bud Light, I was holding out hope. Red in color, clear, the head was there and gone in a flash and could not be resurrected. The aroma was caramel and malty with a hint of what seemed to be strawberry ice cream. There was a slight mineral smell, but I think that might have been the glassware. Some carbonation in the beginning, plain middle: malty, a tad of hops, leans toward the dry side. Everything disappears in the end with an odd just perceptible metallic taste.

3.03/5  rDev 0%

Tasted from a pint glass

A - Very nice caramelly brownish red. About a pencil thick of head that disappeared after a second or two. Slight carbonation around the edges if the glass.

S - Roasty with with a vague sweetness. It's rather a dull smell.

T - Very similar to the smell, roasty and slightly sweet. The taste is not tremendous, but it is refereshing.

M - Light body with a strong carbonation. The carbonation is a bit too intense for my tongue.

D - I'm still a fan of Killian's Irish Red despite an average score here. I enjoy drinking one or two every now and then.

3.05/5  rDev +0.7%

A-Is a amber color, not too dark of a amber. can see right through the glass pretty well. Gives a nice big white head

S-Carmel malty smell with some yeast notes

T-Sweet notes but tasted alittle watered down

M-Good carbonation,feels light in the mouth

D-Easy to drink,not enough flavor though. would drink one if someone offered it to me bu prob wouldnt order again

2.42/5  rDev -20.1%

Dark red bronze with good froth up front but qui kly fades away. Only smells like the mettalic keg its stored in. Tasts is not really there, was expecting something heavier. Good carbonation what you would expect from a commercialized american beer. Wont be seeking this one out again.

George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company