George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
3.18/5  rDev +5%

If I get to a bar with some friends and my choices are the buds, miller and coors. I'll choose this beer..

A: Brown in color but not so dark you can't see through it, small amount of head that will stay for almost the whole drink

T: Very light red lager is the only way I can describe it

M: Very Light same taste throughout the whole drink

D: Very drinkable because it is so light

Overall if I want to drink a lighter beer this is my choice, pretty good taste

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz. bottle, chilled.

Pours a red-amber color, has a moderate-sized white head that quickly dissipates, doesn't leave lacing. Has a pretty medium level of carbonation, overall looks pretty average.

Smell is mostly sweet malts, graininess, I did notice a bit of "adjunct" taste to it but overall it's decent, but a bit on the sweet caramel side, needs a bit more hops. I think this is a pretty tame, almost bland beer, but it's at least better than other offerings from Coors. Pretty high on the drinkability scale, it's medium-bodied but not too heavy compared to a lager. I wouldn't turn one down if I had to choose over something like Bud Light or Corona, but I won't buy this one again, just wasn't as good as the Sam Adams' version.

3.38/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep rich amber color with minimal head. Scent is weak and brings a slightly musty and lightly sweet smell with some adjunct like qualities. Taste is more balanced, lightly sweet malts with a bitter hop bite thats earthy and musty. Again some adjunctness to the taste such as steamed veggies. Medium bodied, lightly carbonated. A good change of pace from the BMC lites of the world, but still some off qualities.

3.52/5  rDev +16.2%

Nice amber color with a nice 2 finger head. On tap is definately more enjoyable than in the bottle. The taste is crisp with a little bitterness which is pleasant to my pallet. Not the best tasting beer with food though in my opinion. But if you have a regular beer or two of choice, then this does offer a nice change up from the norm. Though not fair to compare, it is probably the best amber beer made on american soil. Thats just my opinion though.

3.16/5  rDev +4.3%

Best by Dec 13, 2010

It pours an amber red with a good 2 finger head of foam.

It smells grainy with some corn on the nose and some nondescript hop bitterness

The taste is a bit bland, has some grain, a light sweetness, and some hop bitterness. Not a whole lot going on here but not a bad tasting brew by any means. Usual mouthfeel for the style but is pretty easy drinking. I've had this on tap before and it's a better way of drinking Killian's.

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a deep red/amber with a small off-white head on top. No lace left behind. Scents of toffee, caramel, honey. This is really on the sweet-smelling side. The caramel comes through in the flavor full-force. But that's where it stops. This is pretty one-dimensional. Very sweet finish. It had a decent amount of carbonation; body was firm. I don't know...it's not bad, but it was pretty average. Nothing that I would scream to get more of.

3.2/5  rDev +5.6%

Oh I remember the days when I loved this beer, but as they say all good things must come to an end.

We have a amber brew with red highlights, the beer head was butchered bye the bartender but I guess they don't all know that a beer is suppose to have a head.

The nose is caramel malt and a touch of rising bread.

Ok time for the real test. Ok we have some sweet malt and a touch out a dry biscuit, no hops to speak of.

The mouthfeel is on the thin side, and has a lot f bubbles.

Ok its better then a Coors, and a notch under Blue Moon.

3.43/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: deep, rich amber orange hue with a crystal-clear body. Head is a thick finger of frothy ivory foam. I rather like the look of this beer.

Smell: aroma is quite sweet and lacks any hops. There is a bit of a caramel malty aroma but there's also the smell of artificial banana flavoring: think runts banana candies. It's not strong, but it's there. Weird, but alright.

Taste: quite a bit like the aroma, but with a touch of biscuit as well. Some of that banana is also there but it is pared back a bit. The worst thing I can say about this beer's flavor is that it is pretty bland; bad, though, it is not.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a good dose of carbonation. Pretty creamy, especially for a lager.

Drinkability: quite drinkable; in fact, I'm quite enjoying this beer. To me, this beer is underrated; perhaps that's a function of its being a Coors product? I don't know, but this beer beats my expectations in all categories. I'd gladly quaff this stuff again.

3.28/5  rDev +8.3%

Nothing impressive to say the least. more impressed with its hue than taste.fairly smooth and not to carbonated either, would like to see more ABV. but would have no problem drinking a pack to myself.
glad to see something like this coming from coors.
a good syandard irish red though
Not generally sold at Bevmo but did find it a a local shell station, don;t know whats up with that.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle deep amber color, only about an inch of head. Strong scent of bready, uncooked bread. This is a pretty weak offering for a red lager. The malt flavor seems weak and no real hop profile. This beer is available in most resturants that have Coors products. I used to drink this beer more before I learned that there were better offerings in this style.

3.14/5  rDev +3.6%

Heavily carbonated.
Taste is only slightly better than most commercial beers, not much hops flavor here.
This is a definate lawnmower beer, goes down very easily, so if I've just complete some outside yard work this would be a good choice.
It's better than the typical top 3 domestic beers.

2.96/5  rDev -2.3%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Super clear amber brown with some reddish hues, head settles to just a little film after a few min but it is light, light tan in color

S: Like other mass produced amber lagers I've had, some light toasted malt with a crisp hop flavor that seems to be picked up by a metallic note

T: Not bad, a tad sweet, but nothing gross, not too cloying, but like a bready sweet, metallic note isn't as prominent, hops don't add much, touch sweet but better than nasty metallic which is what I get from Yuengling

M: Slight hinting towards dryness but not "dry", maybe tacky?, body is light-medium

D: Not bad, would be higher if sweetness was more mild or balanced

Notes: Overall not a bad beer. I'd say if you wanted a nice semi-sweet lager this is a good choice. It doesn't have any sharp or metallic tastes. That being said, it is just a little sweetness in a semi-medium bodied liquid, not that much in the way of flavor. All in all an average beer.

3.42/5  rDev +12.9%

As far as I can remember, this marks only the second time that I've had George Killian's Irish Red. My first experience happened to be around the time I hadn't yet discovered the beautiful complexity of beer, so I'm going to drink this one with optimism.

Well, the predominate hue is nice. Amber brown to mahogany. A beige head shows its weakness, and over the course of less than a minute, dwindles down to a sorry nothingness. Evidence of what once was a head lays pitifully on the top, like a shattered continent on a map of the globe. A thin rim tries to keep it together, and remind me that this is a beer in my glass.

The smell is toasted. Burnt brown sugar, malts, & sweet caramel. Doughy & full-bodied in the nose.

The taste is malty & toasted, with a dry, corn kernel-like finish. A mild hint of butter. Dryness trumps the attenuation, hiding what I tend to complain about.

Medium-bodied, but missing a considerable depth of character. Still, one of the better beers offered by Coors.

3.98/5  rDev +31.4%

A: Big, foamy head, though that may have been the result of a bad pour, because it's going away at a decent pace. The head has a very nice, even texture and medium sized bubbles. The beer is clear, reddish amber with lots of active carbonation. Could be a tad darker/more opaque, but all in all, it looks pretty good. But wait, no, the head fades to nothing.

S: There's a sort of odd, not bad but odd smell that I can pin on the grain or hops, perhaps it's something from the yeast? It's not the most aromaticly pleasing beer to me, but it's not too bad either. A more session style shut up and drink and don't think about it beer. And that's ok.

T: Similar to the smell, but some more obvious graininess. Not a real caramel or anything, just the taste of grain, and maybe a tad bit of floral-flavor hops? Again, is it super complex? No. Is it something I want to sit and ponder and taste and extoll about for hours? No. Does it want to be? No. This is a beer to drink when sitting around in the yard or the boat, that has more flavor than most BMC products and I'm fine with it.

M: Pretty good. Light, but not watery, and just a bit sharp.

D: Superb. Nothing offensive in the taste, nothing to think twice about. Good abv for sessioning, and just an all around friendly beer.

3.32/5  rDev +9.6%

A - Reddish, amber, head large but leaves fast. Thin ring left. Some spotty lace.

S - Very malty pleasant smell. Not much else there.

T - Malt there, some hops evident but not much. Not bad, just kind of thin.

M - Good carb, light coating and body. Again, thin.

D - Lawnmowing would be a plus for this beer!

2.9/5  rDev -4.3%

I've had this one the past couple of times I went to the Movie Tavern.

A- Pours a clear dark red color with a off white head. Head has ok retention and leaves a bit of lacing here and there.

S- Smells of caramel malt, and a lot of grains too. Not really a lot here.

T- Sweet malts, grainy, a touch of spice and finishes with a metallic taste.

M- Medium in body and on the higher side of carbonation.

D- Easy to drink but nothing to write home about either.

3.14/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Not much head which quickly fades, hardly any lacing. It has a pleasant reddish brown color.

S: Mostly caramel malts and if you try really hard you can pick up a floral, sweet smell.

T: Mostly the same caramel malts here, a wee bit of herbal, spicy flavor mixed in. There is a little hoppy bitterness at the end.

M/D: The beer has good body and nice carbonation, it goes down really smooth. Good drinkability.

3.15/5  rDev +4%

A - Reddish tinged amber. Two Finger head was mostly gone before I got to the couch. Most appealing part is simply the color, but this is just average.

S - Sweet caramel, fruity hops hiding deep in the background, but discernible.

T - Caramel malt, faint hops, smooth. Macro that feels macro. Not horrible, not great either. Again, average. Not even much of an aftertaste.

M - Decent... Slightly dry finish.

D - I could see many beer drinkers pounding this due to it's straightforward look, taste, and feel. Not very challenging to the status quo except in the color of the brew.

Nice red color. not much head and it dissipates quickly.
Mild malty smell. Uninteresting.
Not a whole lot of taste. malt taste is mild with little bitterness.
Mouthfeel is light to medium.
Earlier, pre-Coors version, was better. this is lackluster. Drank one and it will probably be the last, ever.

3.3/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I remember these being a revelation while patronizing the Old Market pubs in Omaha many a year ago, me unaware of the hidden Coors ownership. Will the reunion be typically awkward? It's now labeled as a product of Unibev, Golden, CO. What thin obfuscation...

This beer pours a clear medium burnt amber colour, with two fingers of foamy, soapy ecru head, which melts away to leave only a meniscus of lace around the perimeter of the glass. It smells of sweet caramel malt, a bit of honey, and mild earthy hops. The taste is fruity caramel malt - apple and pear mostly. The hops are quite faint, lending more of a sense of balance to the sweetness, than any discernible flavour of their own. The carbonation is average, the body leaning a bit to the lighter side of middleweight, with some decent creaminess, and it finishes fairly sweet, the fruity malt seemingly unchallenged at the end.

I can see why I liked these years ago - malt forward, very low bitterness, smooth and easy to drink. Simple, but still moderately endearing.

3.4/5  rDev +12.2%

This is a good standard beer that has average taste and is a good standby if there are limited other options. I find myself purchasing this a lot for its easy drinkability, decent taste, and relatively low price. Killian's Red is also easy to find at most major chains that carry beer in the U.S.

It has a nice amber, red color to it, little bit of head and lace to it. A light smell of malt. It really doesn't have much of a taste other than a malt bitterness. It goes down smooth. My taste buds is saying get something that has a better taste. I would say for a cheaper beer it is good, but I'm not running out to get more.

2.56/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Best part of the beer is the appearance, dark cedar color. From a distance, when I saw pitchers of this at a wedding, I had hoped for a craft beer given the dark color. Alas it was only Killian's.

The beer smells mildly of malt and of the bitterness (not hop bitterness) you normally find in BMC beers.

Taste is very light, mildly carbonated, not nearly as malty as the color would suggest. I also got a strong metallic tang in the beer, not sure if that is inherent to the beer or a byproduct of the keg...

Mouthfeel is very light, smooth going down. Ultimately for as light as the beer is, I don't find it very drinkable, because all it does is make me want to find something with more flavor and body to it.

2.56/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Let me rate the first beer I have ever loved. George Killians Irish Red. Paired with "Kozy Shack Original Rice all natural Pudding"

Reviewed July 19, 2010

Wiseman Justin Reporting:

Appearance: Very Amber, clear with a thin head. Started thick but loses most of it. Some head retention, some lacing.

Smell: Grainy, like bread. Maybe wood chips, "cheap macro" smell is present but it's not that bad.

Taste: The rice pudding Kinda makes me nauseous drinking it along with a beer. The beer is not the perfect beer I remember it.... sigh. Such good memories we all had to start somewhere I suppose. Unremarkable.

Mouthfeel: Very similiar to cheap macro's but the quality is better.

Drinkability: Easy to drink and cheap but... my taste buds say no.

Pairing Score: F- Holy good god. I feel gross from the Rice Pudding.

3.23/5  rDev +6.6%

Pour: A clear, effervescent reddish-amber color with one finger of head that dissipated instantly and left no lancing on the glass.

Smell: Light hint of caramel malts and slightly grainy. No hops.

Taste: Pretty much the same as the smell, it starts of caramelly and becomes slightly grainy. Finishes up with very low hop bitterness and slight nutty flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light with an extremely high amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Drinks easily, refreshing.

Final Notes: This was the beer that started moving me more toward better beer. I remember really liking it back in the day, but now it's just okay. A good stepping stone and I'll drink it if it's the best thing there is.

George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company