George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
2.73/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a transparent amber-orange color with a foamy head that is off white, looks great for a macro especially, visible carbonation rising. Aroma is a little bit macro like, a bit of sweet aroma and a very little bit of hop aromas. Doesn't smell noticeably fresh, overall not the best aroma but nothing awful. Taste is rather macro like, and more so than I remember it. Even ice cold it has that adjunct flavor, a strange sweetness that is not malts; its a bit better than the pale macro stuff but I wouldn't be surprised if the color difference was mostly a dye. I've had this on tap in the past on occasion and thought it was decent but not quite sure why at this point; I'm glad I only bought a single and demoed it before I passed it on as a beer for friends to drink. Reminds me a bit of Yuengling. Mouthfeel is fine for the style, medium light. While it's not as undrinkable as a Budweiser, I'd rather not say it's drinkable. It's really not an Irish red, probably not even a euro dark lager; if I ever dare be confused enough to drink this again, I want to warn myself to remember that it's distinctly an American Macro (Amber) Lager, and nothing more.

Liquids, Jan 23, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -26.4%

Bottle into SA glass.

A- Redsh brown ith a light head that goes quickly. Soda like carbonation.

S- Rich berry with a lager base.

T- Berry soda-like with carbonation clouding any real flavor.

M- Very thin.

D- Not real my bag. Someone was thinking that this was up my alley, but it was a sad disappointment for the both of us.

mobud, Jan 21, 2008
3.38/5  rDev +11.6%

12 oz. twist-off> 16 oz. SA glass

This is a nice deep amber color with rusty-red hues, totally clear, good carbonation that forms a quick, active, all-white head that goes away pretty fast.

Oooh...the aroma is nice, vaniila and marshmellow's scented malt is good. balanced by a mild spiciness in the hop with hardy wheat.

The flavor is much of the same, the sweet-vanilla malt carries over but the malt is also bready, couples with herbal, spicey hop notes...pretty clean with a mellow but sweet-wheatiness at it's core.

Light to medium, crisp and slightly slick going down.

This one ain't bad.

GratefulBeerGuy, Jan 18, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -5%

Had this on-tap served (unfortunately) in chilled mugs. Reddish amber color that is crystal-clear. Some fluffy-looking head quickly goes, leaving little lacing behind. Smell is pretty clean. Mostly sweet malts. Taste is quite bready. Kind of like biting into a Pillsbury roll. Fruity notes are also present, most notably orange and lemon. Feels extremely thin, though will enough carbonation to do the trick. Finishes bone dry. There is definitely better beer out there. However, in a pinch, this will do just fine.

atrus138, Jan 18, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +26.4%

I would say this beer is pretty good, nothing over the top. The smell is pretty sweet, it also doesnt have that hopiness to it. The appereance is obviously red. There isnt a whole lot of taste to it, it ends pretty abrupt after it goes down, no big aftertaste at all.

mmatt1, Jan 18, 2008
3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

I bought a couple of 12 packs of these it is pretty easy to find.

A- This beer is very dark and is almost a reddish amber color, very interesting.

S- This beer smells good and is kind of sweet.

T- This beer doesnt have very much flavor to speak of but is not bitter at all.

M- the mouthfeel is average.

D- I can drink a few of these with a meal, its not bad.

rrob311, Dec 31, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -21.5%

I was turned on to this beer by a louisiana roomate of mine. it is a beer that is offered by many and has a somewhat decent taste to it. I can truley say that I have a hangover without a bad drink. Go ahead and order this one. it is good wihyh cheap food.

skeetermoses, Dec 31, 2007
2.35/5  rDev -22.4%

When I first started to venture beyond Bud Light and Miller Light this was one of the beers that showed me that beer could have flavor. At the time, I thought it was groundbreaking. My how times have changed. While better than Macro or Macro Light, it just doesn't hold up after trying so many great beers. With that said, I'm still glad that I tried waaay back when as it opened my eyes.
Poured from a 12oz bottle with best by date on the neck. It was an amber color with decent carb and no lacing. It had a small head that evaporated quickly. The aroma was weak malt and kinda skunky. The taste was mostly bland with a bit of sweetness to separate it from the Macros. Mouthfeel was watery. While I'll always have fond memories of this one, I've grown up and it's stayed the same (Not again)

TexIndy, Dec 29, 2007
2.78/5  rDev -8.3%

I always think cinnamon when I drink this, and given that its "red", thats probably a good name for it. A typical beer for people thinking they drink import but really are not.

Smell is of strong cinnamon, doesn't smell like a normal beer.

mouthfeel is thick, but not too thick. feels weird to me anyway.

I cannot drink too much of this or I will get sick. Leaves a "washy" feeling in my stomach.

n0315, Dec 27, 2007
2.6/5  rDev -14.2%

Presentation: Twist off bottle with date stamp on neck. Doesn't clarify if it is a best by or bottled date.

Appearance: Poured heavy into a 16 oz weizen glass, I was greeting with a nice head, although not thick. The head receded quickly and left a nice lace. The color was a nice red amber.

Smell: Pretty sweet on the nose with caramel and some other indescribable notes. A little to much alcohol came across for me.

Taste: During the taste you can definitely taste a faint caramel and sweet malt that leaves a pretty sweet finish, although rather clean. There is little to be said about mouth feel on this brew other than sweet and very low carbonation which didn't seem to jive with the overall light sweetness of the brew.

Notes: Something I bought once prior to beer advocate knowledge thinking it was better than a macro. Knowing know, I know this beer is nothing more than decent. I would definitely reach for this before many other macros but I could think of hundreds of other beers I would rather try.

Greggy, Dec 26, 2007
2.88/5  rDev -5%

A friend of mine swears by this beer, so I picked up a sixer. Didn't realize it was made by Coors until I punched it up on this site.

Pours an attractive amber color with an inch or so white head. So far, so good. Taste is fairly bland. Some malt, maybe a hint of bitterness (could be hops, but tough to make out the flavor). Nice, pleasant beer, but certainly nothing to write home about. For the price, there are lots better. Carbonation/mouthfeel was pleasant.

Overlord, Dec 22, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -3.3%

I like this beer, do not get me wrong, but as far as being a good beer, killian's is not one. It smells like a coors but drinks much better.
A- A beautiful amber color with a mild one finger head

S- Smell is nothing special, the only notable scent is a light sweet caramel.

T- I like how this beer tastes, but its not top. It tastes mildly bitter and watered down.

M- mouthfeel is fairly bland, but the hopiness is present in the feel.

D- I tend to drink Killian's when I plan on getting drunk. (not sure if it is Ba sacreligious to like a beer for quantity).

chrispot, Dec 19, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -25.7%

BLEH. I saw some mentions of hops in other reviews. Coors must have forgot to put them in my batch. This was one of the first beers that got me off of macro light lagers, so I decided to revisit it. Not entirely bad, but there is an overpowering, unbalanced sugary sweetness that I really don't care for. Maybe it is different on-tap. Disappointed.

Edit: I stupidly decided to buy this shit when it went on sale again. It is even worse now. I don't know if this is because I have developed my beer palate more or because it just somehow got worse. Slight bitter taste that is not a hoppiness but has more skunk character. These bottles were hidden from light in a 12 pack (fuck i have 11 more of these) and aren't out of date.

NCBeernut, Dec 06, 2007
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pretty decent beer to drink if its on special. I know its made by Coors, but it has a good malty after taste that doesn't remind me of a macro. Its a great session beer because you sometimes can get a good deal on a 20 pack. To some it up I would say it is one of the better average beers.

madjr80, Nov 13, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -9.9%

Appearance - Poured with a decent sized airy head which settled quite quickly. Very nice amber color.

Smell - Slight caramel malt aroma.

Taste - Average for the style. More sweetness than I would like, not enough malt profile.

Mouthfeel - Seemed to be lacking much body. Above average carbonation.

Drinkability - Pretty smooth, but not necessarily a beer I would choose to drink several of.

Not a bad beer, basically the Budweiser of red lagers.

sweetkness, Oct 13, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +28.7%

I Know this comes from one of the major players this is one of my favorites in places that aren't diverse in beers. It has a light amber color with a thin head. I think it has an inviting smell. The taste has a little sweet hoppy flavor. In my mouth it had a light carbonation and was very smooth. I think this is one of those good beers thats light enough to drink all night very enjoyable.

armock, Oct 08, 2007
3.25/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Out of the bottle it has a clear reddish hue. There was a solid head with a slight lace.

S: There's a slight sweetness to it.

T: This is a great, easy-going beer. I used to think this beer was no better than a Bud until I did a blind taste-test and was surprised how high I rated it.

M: A little bit dry, a little bit bitter, but it is "clean" on the palate.

D: It is easy to drink, and has far more flavor than say a Bud or Coors (as is its parent company).

For the style of beer, cheap, American produced brew, it is better than most. Not a bad beer at all.

Amalak, Oct 07, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -11.6%

Starts with a decent, albeit simple caramel malt aroma, but goes downhill from there. The flavor holds the nice caramel at first, but it gives way to a very unpleasant, almost acidic bitterness that's not fun at all. This beer isn't even inoffensive. I'd drink one if given to me, but I wouldn't finish it.

tempest, Oct 04, 2007
3.48/5  rDev +14.9%

On the road, I bought a 6er of this for the hotel room. I hadn't had the stuff in like 8 years, so I decided to give it a shot.

I was afraid that I was buying regular Coors with some red dye, so I was pleasantly surprised. Pretty sure it is one of the better offerings from the BMC crowd except maybe a few Michelobe varieties.

I drank from the bottle, so I can't say anything about appearance. The taste and smell was caramel malt all the way. Sweet and smooth. No hops that I could taste. The description the most comes to mind is creamy. I drank the whole 6er in an evening, so I would say that it is easy to drink.

Overall, I've had better beers, I have certainly had worse beers. It is a fine one for the price. I know that sometimes this is a (sorta) permium on tap at resaurants and I would pick it over the BMC stuff any day.

lawman834, Oct 03, 2007
3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Retried this over the past weekend after a few years away from it. Better than I remembered. Pours a brownish red with a slight foamy head that is retained throughout. Slight lacing on the glass. Smell is of yeast and malt, and the taste follows suit. Crisp and refreshing. Not much character to this beer, but it is a pretty good choice to have with a burger or steak.

oldirtycaffrey, Oct 01, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -20.8%

Pint from Hennessey's Irish Pub on the Hermosa Beach Pier strip

Poured a light red color with a 1/2 inch white head that stuck around for a couple minutes

Smell was not much at all and was surpirsed on the lightness of this beer, supposed to be much darker

Taste was a little dry with a few hoppy accents, but pretty smooth for the most part

Better on tap than out of a bottle for sure

Could drink three of four of these

Floydster, Sep 30, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +24.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner. pours a crystal clear reddish amber with a light orange colored head that remains for a couple minutes, leaving light lacings on the glass.

smell is sweet, with caramel and pale malts showing, alongside a mild and grassy hop character. well balancedd in the nose, while remaining crisp in profile.

taste is lightly malty up front, with caramel malts over the rest, with a finish of light grassy hops. overall a lightly sweet tasting brew with a clean and crisp finish. a good lager, without much complexity.

mouthfeel is very smooth, with a medium-light body and a slight bite from CO2. finishes very smooth as well.

drinkability is great. this brew is crisp and clean, without complexity or overbearing flavors. it remains well balanced, and plays off subtle flavors to create a solid dark lager. cheers!

botham, Sep 25, 2007
3.03/5  rDev 0%

Poured into the Sam Adams Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a red-amber hue with a moderate creamy head. The lacing on this beer isn't strong, but there is a little bit on occasion. There are some carbonation bubbles apparent in the brew.

Smell: Smells like a mix between malts and alcohol. I don't see much difference between this and other macros.

Taste: Starts with some malt taste, which gives way to grains and corn. There is a slight taste of hops on the finish, which is clean and crisp. There is nothing complicated here, but the taste itself isn't bad, unlike other macro lagers. This would be easy to enjoy on a Saturday afternoon with my friends.

Mouthfeel: Light, and with some crisp carbonation. Pretty standard for the style.

Drinkability: These are smooth and light, so they go down quite easily. Although this isn't even close to my favorite beer, it's something I can have when I'm not looking for something complex.

Romulus141, Sep 24, 2007
3.48/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Available unlike potatoe's in a blight. Tasty, earthy,spicy beer. Doesn't look like much, clean as a whistle, reddish like ohoulahan, in color. Smells like the barlye in the wind. Like spicy cabbage the flavor grows from the roots of the malt, low hops like a leprechaun with no pot o gold. Drink for sessions, drink for the year, drink for the laughter, drink for the tear.

Murchmac, Sep 21, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +0.7%

12 onz amber bottle no freshness date

Appearance: Brown/red color with a cream color head.

Smell: Sweetness and some fruits are right there

Taste: Caramel beer,grains and some malt,medium bodied not a lot carbonation,sweetness.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: Very easy to drink, too sweet for my taste, can have some more sips of this one.

BeerDreadz, Sep 18, 2007