George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
uwpman

Wisconsin

3.6/5  rDev +18.8%

Thought I’d try something new last night at dinner as there was no Sam Adam’s to have with my burger. Served on tap in a 23oz glass.

A. Copper color that was clear. Carbonation lasted through the glass. Served with a cream colored head that dissipated fairly quickly. Minimal Lacing.

S. Smell was of fruits, changing over to a smell that was almost “pukey”. I felt cheated at this point because it smelled so bad and tasted so good.

T. Tasted hoppy, with fruit notes swirled into the mix

M. Smooth and crisp. Not overly carbonated. Slightly watery, but not a bad thing. Slid right on down.

D. First issue here was the serving temperature. I could barely hold the glass it was so cold. So I admired the eye candy before me while it warmed up. Unfortunately this made me witness to the head disappearing. Once I got past the smell it was very drinkable. I could see some of my macro-swill drinking friends enjoying this. Had I not run out of food I would have had another to finish off a great meal.

11-21-2006 20:33:49 | More by uwpman
veech

Tennessee

3.38/5  rDev +11.6%

I have a lot of history with this beer. My first (and thank God only) case of "bedspins" was induced by multiple pitchers of Killian's in my college days. It was one of the first beers that didn't fall into the american lager category that I drank with any regularity, and I have a Great grandmother whose maiden name was Killian(whose heritage I traced to County Galway while on a pilgrimage to Ireland). All that being said I still enjoy this beer on rare occasion, but it still manages to give me a touch of a hangover even if I only have couple. I've yet to figure it out, more research is required.
A: copperish red color with light carbonation and thin head S: light hints of sweet malts with a touch of a hopped finish. T: Semisweet malts with a little hop balance that is muted by strong hints of phenol? maybe that exude a kind of mildly skunked character to the finish(perhaps this is what disagrees with my system?)This is not altogether unpleasant and is variable between bottles. M: thin but enough to present flavors and smoothness. D: I would classify this a pretty drinkable beer when no better options exist. I will continue to moderately patronize this homage to Irish reds.

11-12-2006 20:59:54 | More by veech
xtremejammn

3.38/5  rDev +11.6%

This is a pretty good Irish red Lager.

A: Pours a light brown and once it settles it has a red brown body with a head that lasts for quite a bit.

S: Has a strong flourescent smell. Slightly below average.

T: It has a strong taste of vegetable oil, and is has a decent ammount of wheatiness to it. Pretty good.

M: Not very bubbly and the decent taste make for a decent mouthfeel.

D: Goes down pretty smooth although it has a bit of a dry aftertaste to it, pretty good.

Bottom Line: I'd say this is a decent Irish Lager that I can safely say I would highly reccomend to any Irish Lager fan, Ta ta.

11-11-2006 05:04:31 | More by xtremejammn
Osiris9588

2.73/5  rDev -9.9%

12oz bottle, no date. Pours a ruddy, rusty amber. On finger off-white, a little creamy, poor retention and sporadic dots of lacing.

The nose is weak--some faint hops and malt. The flavor offers weak hops, some sweet grain and malt--it's almost more pils than ale, though less hop character than either of those styles.

The mouth is light and simple. It lacks character and has this unpleasnt aftertaste--a little phenolic. It's better than some of the macro stuff, but only as a last resort.

10-30-2006 18:18:46 | More by Osiris9588
RJLarse

Washington

2.5/5  rDev -17.5%

I picked up a six pack of Killian’s Irish Red lager at a grocery store to taste, review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a redish-copper color and is clear. A yellowish-white two-finger head forms and is somewhat resilient. The head produces a little lacing.

The smell is fairly strong, and floral. There are a bit of a perfume fragrance.

The taste is a bit of a skunky malt flavor. There is a sharp contrast between the malt flavor and a bitter hop finish.

The mouth feel is crisp smooth and clean, perhaps a little watery.

This is a drinkable beer. It’s not a great beer, but OK.

10-28-2006 04:57:27 | More by RJLarse
MrVisegrips

Wisconsin

3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

This brew has great amber red color and nice smooth mouth feel lending to its great drinkabilty. Good carbonation with a creamy tan head that slowly fades to a good lace. It has a nice malt taste with a finish that just a touch dry. Always a good standby due it wide availability.

10-28-2006 03:21:40 | More by MrVisegrips
AndoBrew

Georgia

2.55/5  rDev -15.8%

*Did not mind would not buy*

app: A lot less red than I hoped for.. especially "Irish red" decent head eggshell white. eh, ok.

smell: up front some faint floral hops, and a small amount of bland malt, THEN the smell of an all american beer. YUM YUM. reminds me of baseball!

taste: no real malts at all, being an irish red or amber if you will, I feel the malts need to be jacked up a god bit. there is a delicate floral and slight citrus hop finish. followed by that good ole american taste that robs your mouth of moisture.
I do not see any real difference in this and a non irish amber macro brew except maybe a touch more sweetness, a lil less grain, and maybe a touch more in the breath of hops department. very un exciting and bland.

mf: watery and not a livley carbonation makes for a boring dance inside my mouth. not that bad though I guess.

drinkable?: I guess that depends on how you define thiis catagory.. he he.. well yes it is, the one thing it is great at is that it goes down like sparkiling water.

overall: not bad, not good, has more nice tasting malts than the other products from these types of brewers.. (being general) I just wish there was even MORE malts.

I did this partly as a test, just to see what it was like to rate a "normall beer" . to see what type of numbers came out of it. I think I am suprised that it is so low. I was thinking maybe the review system was flawed and bad beers, or beers people really dont like or wouldnt drink again were getting rated to high. well this show me that my number to taste bud comunication is at least kinda working.
Now I think I will try to find I beer I really hate, and review it to see how it stacks up against this.

10-19-2006 20:57:44 | More by AndoBrew
wedge

3.03/5  rDev 0%

Pours an amber-red color with a small head that lasts for a short while before becoming an off-white film. Smells clean and cheap - grain and a little sweet doughiness. More vague sweetness in the flavor. The malt comes frustratingly close to being decent, just a brief flash of gritty caramel before being covered up with a too-clean grainy quality. Medium-light body with adequate carbonation.

Nothing about this beer is special, but nothing is all that terrible either. Meh, its a cheap lager that's a step up from the usual dregs Coors turns out.

10-19-2006 03:13:05 | More by wedge
tastybeer

3.15/5  rDev +4%

Looks are not half bad. Clear, warm redish-brown color with a beige creamy colored head that begins about two fingers in size and fades in appropriate time to a nice little topping. Nose is quietly toasty, creamy, with a caramel malt smoothness. Very soft and simple but smellable. Taste is soft as well with more of that similar toasty caramel. This is actually pleasant even though it could certainly use a lot more flavors and complexity, even as a lager. Mouthfeel is clean, smooth, and a tiny bit creamy and coating. Carbonation is about right and just crisp enough for this and body is medium-light but more light than medium. Drinkabillity is certainly better for this than some of the 'crappy' beers I've recently had that are in the ol family fridge. I am actually drinking this because it has some enjoyment, however small the enjoyment quantities might be. The other 'crappy' beers I speak of are drinkable because I want to get them down more than taste them.

So there you have it. Not great/worth seeking out by any means, but a good choice if the other options are just downright awful.

10-19-2006 01:57:47 | More by tastybeer
BBM

3.38/5  rDev +11.6%

Yes it is a macro-brew, and yes it is distributed by Coors, but honestly this beer is a very drinkable amber lager. The beer pours a clear amber-red color with a slight tan head. Slight lacing. Malty smell, but nothing too strong or distinct.

Flavor is sweet, malty with a bit of hops. Not overpowering, it holds its own. Mouthfeel is clean, if a bit thin and watery. It won't wow you with flavor, and it's nothing you haven't had before, but it is a highly drinkable. A very solid beer to have at parties or just watching the game.

10-17-2006 18:01:39 | More by BBM
arnulfooxblood

Connecticut

3.5/5  rDev +15.5%

Served on tap in a 23oz. glass

Appearence--Nice deep mahogany color, no real head on this one.

Taste/Mouthfeel--Nicely balanced, but entirely safe taste. Nothing outstanding, but certainly not offensive. Good carbonation.

Drinkability--Goes down very easily.

10-16-2006 13:29:19 | More by arnulfooxblood
adammills

3.03/5  rDev 0%

I had this beer on tap in a glass beer mug. Its color is an amber-red with what seems to be a lot of carbonation, a smallish tan head with slight lacing. It is hoppy in both smell and taste, it goes down smooth, not too bitter. This is an average beer, a better choice than bud or miller if those are your choices of beer on tap.

10-12-2006 17:30:53 | More by adammills
pgenius

3.48/5  rDev +14.9%

This beer sometimes gets a bum rap. This stuff is my favorite beer when I'm thirsty and need a drink ASAP. Its very drinkable, goes down smooth and easy, and doesn't fill you in the least. Great brew for St. Patrick’s Day, when you got to get more then a few in you. For being a mainstream beer, and brewed by my least favorite company (Coors), it isn't bad. Its light, has a nice carbonation, nice malt taste in the beginning, and finishes slightly dry. Don't hate.

10-12-2006 07:44:42 | More by pgenius

FRESH: exp. 12-10; cons. 10-8
PURCHASED @: WallyWorld
COST: $6/6pack
HEAD: 1/2" diminishing to nothing
LACE: small formations ; quickly sliding down glass
COLOR: yellow w/ deep red; clear
AROMA: lightly toasted malt
MOUTHFEEL: thin; super foamy
PALATE: slightly resinous
TASTE: lager somehow reminicent of a Pale Ale.?
COMMENTS: high forced/fake carbonation causes immediate bloating; balanced well, good and refreshing though.
CONDITIONS:

10-11-2006 06:37:56 | More by TechMyst
SudNut

Oklahoma

2.7/5  rDev -10.9%

This is a decent beer considering the source. Apperance is a red amber with an decent head leaving minimal lacing. Taste is malty with a grain undertone almost sweet. Mouthfeel is light and fairly smooth. After a twelve hour day of travel this was a welcomed beverage at the hotel pub.

10-08-2006 04:15:26 | More by SudNut
kimcgolf

Georgia

2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured to a bright amber red, with medium off-white head that lingered awhile, and then left okay lacing. Aroma was not much to speak of, as it was hard to detect much of anything. Flavor was okay, slightly malty sweet. But not a bad beer for a widely available brew by a big macrobrewer.

10-07-2006 01:15:45 | More by kimcgolf
afinepilsner

Iowa

2.98/5  rDev -1.7%

12oz brown bottle

George Killian's Irish red was a red amber color with an off-white head. The head soon dissipated to a thin layer, leaving some spotty lace behind. The aroma was malty. The taste was light, sweet malt in the beginning with a dry finish. The mouthfeel was thin with plenty of carbonation. It's a pretty average beer.

10-02-2006 21:18:48 | More by afinepilsner
ghostmech007

3.4/5  rDev +12.2%

12oz Bottle poured into a frosted pint. Twist top, with date stamped below the neck of the bottle.

Bright amber that is transparent. Good off white head does well and leaves a decent lacing.

Toasted malts and grains and a caramel sweetness to it.

Medium body is a smooth run-off-the-tongue-and-swallow feel. Malts and grains come first and a caramel is sorta in there. Little thin is some places but good non the less. I found good hops and the grains at the finish really bring it full circle.

Good but not the best. Nice to have at party's for people that think this is a micro brew, much like some other Coor's products, i.e. Blue Moon.

10-01-2006 15:32:02 | More by ghostmech007
tempo013

3.8/5  rDev +25.4%

Drank on my 22nd birthday out of a bottle cause my roommate offered me one.
Appearance- a light red color when help to a light with a light head
Smell- smells nutty and also hoppy
Taste- it tastes strong compared to light beers
Mouthfeel- almost bitter and somewhat strong that it makes your mouth tingle
Drinkability- I could buy a case of this beer and have it last a week or so. maybe drinking 4-6 a night

09-30-2006 22:35:58 | More by tempo013
Bluemoonlover

Nevada

3.58/5  rDev +18.2%

A-Really good looking amberish reddish color with thick cream colored head.

S-Sweet, caramel grainy aroma.

T-Again a sweet caramel taste.A hint of toffee,kind of octoberfest kinda taste.

M-Really smooth. Not too carbonated but not too flat.

D-Very easy to drink.I could drink pitcher after pitcher.

I really enjoyed this beer.And drank it while eating a Italian meatball sub.A good combination.

09-25-2006 23:45:27 | More by Bluemoonlover
Rudgers73

3.03/5  rDev 0%

This is one of the best shots I've seen by a macro to make a craft-like lager. This isn't bad.

A- Copper-red with a fluffy white head that sticks around for a few minutes.

S- Hoppy and smooth. A little thin.

T- Everything an Irish Red should be, minus that faint thin taste that these macros just can't afford to lose. Slightly bitter to start, slight corny on the way through and a little dry ending. Too bad someone watered down the batch to save a little money...

M- Typical macro mouthfeel. Maybe a little bit heavier but not enough to call it something bold.

D- Nice for hanging out at a bar and watching football or something. Not really for me.

09-25-2006 13:44:54 | More by Rudgers73
cjgator3

2.28/5  rDev -24.8%

I haven't had this brew in about 3 or 4 years which was before I got into the craft beer scene. I have finally decided to give it another chance. Pours a reddish orange color with a solid white head that left a good amount of lacing on the glass. Aroma is very faint with some roasted malts and caramel. Taste is much like the nose in that has faint toasted malt and slight caramel flavors. There is also an almost medicinal aftertaste in Killians that has always turned me off to this brew. Overall, this is a pretty bland and watered down attempt at a quality beer by Coors.

09-21-2006 02:00:34 | More by cjgator3
BeerSox

2.55/5  rDev -15.8%

12 oz bottle into mug.

A little background for this review: A friend of mine tried it and she said she didn't like it. Since it is cheap, I figured I would try it for myself.

Pours a crystal clear deep red. Almost no head, even with an aggressive pour. No lacing at all.

Malty aroma, slightly toasted and bitter, with sweet hints in the background.

Bitterness up front which quickly fades then transitions to a sweet finish. The aftertaste is metallic.

Watery mouthfeel with high carbonation to add some crispness.

Although I like this beer a little better than most mass produced beers, it is still too bland, and unnecessarily bitter for having no hop character. It is what it is, an alternative made by Coors to drinking Coors. Best for drinking in mass quantities to achieve inebriation.

09-17-2006 02:47:53 | More by BeerSox
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.68/5  rDev +21.5%

On-tap at The Vineyard in Attleboro, MA, served in a large mug glass.

A: The beer is a bright reddish brown with a foamy yellowish gold head that fades at a decent rate and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but malty, with notes of caramel, tea & a touch of hops.

T: The taste is very much the same as the smell, caramelized malt, tea and a little bit of hops.

M: Smooth & crisp, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, with a clean finish.

D: Easy to drink and not very filling, but a little lacking in flavor compared to most micro brews. However, I find it a good alternative if you're faced only with choices from the brewing giants. This used to be my favorite beer before I started drinking micros, so it still has a somewhat warm place in my heart and palate.

09-15-2006 16:31:34 | More by TheManiacalOne
PeatReek

2.3/5  rDev -24.1%

Wow, I don't think I've had a Killian's in... probably 4 years. It pours a crystal clear, macro-filtered copper color. Slight pale head. No real aroma; a bit malty and a touch sweet. Taste actually starts off with a pleasant Maerzen-ish malt flavor, then gets buzzy from carbonation and syrupy sweet. After several sips, a bland metallic aftertaste sets in. Hrm... no thanks.

09-12-2006 01:08:07 | More by PeatReek