George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
whynot44

Missouri

3.03/5  rDev 0%

Light bodied, nice bronze red color with a thin off white head.

Aroma is pretty thin, more grain than malt and no really detectable hops.

Taste is pretty much the same. A sweetish grain flavor with a sweet malt background. Just a hint of something slightly medicinal, drink as cold as possible.

Not bad, very drinkable, as it should be, and reasonably smooth..

12-02-2005 06:01:40 | More by whynot44
beeroclock

United Arab Emirates

2.58/5  rDev -14.9%

This is basically on every tap in any restaurant that serves anything besides Bud & Miller. It always seems to have a musky smell & taste. I remember when I first tried this beer long ago, hoping that it would be better than the rest of the stuff that particular restaurant had on tap. It does have an aftertaste that lingers and doesn't impress me. The appearance is red as it mentions w/ a slight head. The appearance is probably the best thing about this beer and its still basically average.

11-26-2005 00:27:08 | More by beeroclock
scruffwhor

2.33/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a sparse two finger head that maintains for about a minute then shrivels to a decent film that stays with the the beer throughout. Poured into a pint glass.

Color reminded me of the auburn haired Irish stereotype that i've come to know and love. The color lacked any personality compared to true Irish red beers I've had. A plan Jane amber/red cedar color, pretty see-through as well.

A beer that should be served god and cold other than the semi moldy flavor of this, I do detect a hint of pine intermingled with the hops. Whatever nuance of malt is hidden behind the ever present skunky taste of Killians that I have come to know and partially
love.

As long as this beer is cold, I could drink it all day.

11-16-2005 21:03:31 | More by scruffwhor
Shovelbum

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Nice foamy white head over a orange-red body. Decent head retention. Smells of sweet malt, notes of wine and diacetyl. Taste is mild and watery. Roasted malt, mild sweetness and bitterness, but overall very subdued. Crisp, light mouthfeel and lightly bitter aftertaste.

A head above those other macro lagers, but that's not saying much. There’s a little bit of malt floating around in here, but otherwise fairly light and watery.

11-10-2005 00:38:28 | More by Shovelbum
hero27

2.83/5  rDev -6.6%

On-tap @ the Texas Roadhouse in Cedar Falls, Iowa..

I asked the waitress what they had, and she said "pretty much everything", so I ordered the best thing I could spot on tap, which was Killian's Irish Red.

Dark burnt orange. Little head and nothing for lacing on the glass. Aroma is weak..weak malts and a clean grainy sweetness. Relatively smooth finish and decent drinkability. Has to be one of those "oh shit, there's nothing better on-tap?" beers for me.

11-09-2005 05:14:07 | More by hero27
FenwaySquid

3.03/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Poured a reddish orange color, clear, with a decent head that faded slowly into a thick lace that stayed the whole way down.

Aroma: Almost nonexistent, a faint malty aroma was all I got.

Taste: Sweet malt flavor with a slight hop bitterness up front, finishes the same.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, nothing special here.

Overall: If I have to pick between this and macro swill, I choose this. Otherwise it's nothing special. The first time I ever had a Killians I was in Italy, and didn't realize there was a difference between the American and European versions until I returned to the states. Obviously, the European one ("George Killians" I believe) is far superior.

10-25-2005 01:03:30 | More by FenwaySquid
pweis909

Wisconsin

3.53/5  rDev +16.5%

My wife keeps buying this stuff when I'm not around. She knows I'll drink it, she likes it, and it saves some money over the stuff she is unfamiliar with. She didn't realize until I told her yesterday that it is a Coor's product, so there apparently are a few people out there who are fooled into thinking it is a microbrew.

Last aside before the review: Outside of sips of my Dad's Black Label (yuck), this is the first beer I ever drank, as a college freshman (underaged), 20 years ago, in a pizza pub in a close-to-dry small Ohio town. There were about 5 beers that you could find on tap in town, and this was my favorite until we radical types started boycotting Coors for unfair labor practices. I don't recall the details of the protest, but I haven't intentionally bought a Coors product myself ever since (I did get fooled into thinking Blue Moon was a microbrew, once). That said, I sort of like Killian's, for a macro. If I were forced to choose a macro, and this was available, I'd probably go for it.

The review:

A-Color is typical for reds. Transparent amber, 1/4 inch head.
S-Odor has some fruit and malt character.
T-I'm a fan of sweet malts, and there is some sweetness here. Very little bitterness. I think both flavors could be turned up a notch or two. Again, for a macro, I think this is better than average.
M-Nothing remarkable.
D-Well, I like it enough to drink a few bottles back to back, for enjoyment, so that counts for something.

On the whole, there are many better malty reds out there, but 20 years after my first Killian's, I got to say that I still like it.

10-23-2005 13:07:27 | More by pweis909
tesguino

Mexico

3.43/5  rDev +13.2%

Low fermentation beer; soft amber color; similar to dos equis amber; high in malt content; taste bitter, harmonious, well ballanced; fragant and fruity smell, like a roses; try with german cuisine and cheese, serve in a pilsner glass, or direct from the bottle, good lacing; 85% recommended.

10-21-2005 20:53:13 | More by tesguino
PBRstreetgang

3.38/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured a clear amber hue. A creamy, off-white head of one and a half fingers will hold nicely before droping to modest lacing. Decent crystal malt aroma, but weak. The toasted caramel flavor is thin, but appealing. Faint English hops in the aftertaste, but enough to balance the lightish malt flavor. Light body and active carbonation start off crisp, and turn slick near the finish. Very drinkable, but very dull.

10-20-2005 05:15:40 | More by PBRstreetgang
radshoesbro

3.38/5  rDev +11.6%

a - amber red with good head and no lacings. loads of carbonation.

s - mix of hops and yeast.

t - mild hops and first with a crisp yeast finish

m - smooth light/medium bodied brew with a fine finish.

d - if this was the only thing at a bar i'd get it. otherwise i'm probablly not goign to get it again for a long time.

notes: having this on tap is so much better than having it out of the bottle!!

10-17-2005 15:39:41 | More by radshoesbro
waldowin

Washington

2.93/5  rDev -3.3%

My first "red", was pointed to this as a not-terribly-outstanding, but decent example of an Irish Red. "Goes well with cookies" I think was the phrase used.

Poured a ruby amber, with a thin white head, that faded quicky to a ring. Carbonation very visible throughout.

No smell at all, maybe a hint of malt, but that's it. Disappointing.

Tastes pretty decent. A soft wash of malts, and a hint of hops. Warm, and almost a hint of harsh sweetness. The sugars you'd expect to find in beets, say. Mildly toasty. Not bad, and it would indeed go well with cookies. Could really use more character though, it's fairly bland.

Thin, carbonated, and almost watery. Not unpleasant, but nothing stands out.

Very easy to drink this, much like a light cider in terms of drinkability. A bit sweet to have too many of, but a decent cheap beer.

10-14-2005 09:20:11 | More by waldowin
kbnooshay

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

This pours a nice amber color with a decent head & lacing. The smell is simple and clean but has a caramelly sweetness. The taste is nothign complex. Fairly sweet and malty, could use more hop flavor. This is allright but could use a little life to it. High falls amber is cheaper and better.

10-11-2005 19:25:46 | More by kbnooshay
grindcore666

3.15/5  rDev +4%

Picked up a 6 pack tonight at Safeway. Been sorting through the more mainstream brews I haven't tried yet, and this came up. I'm glad I finally got around to it...

Pours a cherry brown. Thin bubbly head fades quickly. Looks sweet. Very tame in the nose - a subtle malty aroma with a floral scent hiding in the back.

Now to drink it: Kicks off with a little carbonation and a sweet brightness, then smoothens out. I taste strong notes of cherries and chocolate. Quite good. Carbonation shows it's presence, but isn't overbearing. Light-bodied, has some good character without being strong. Aftertaste is mildly sweet.

Very drinkable. Maybe too sweet/sugary to have an abundant amount, but enjoying a few of these is no problem.

10-07-2005 05:25:23 | More by grindcore666
Enola

3.78/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

For a macro this ain't too bad. I had this on-tap at an Allman Brothers consert last night. It poured out with a nice average sized head. It had a wonderfull appearance as well. A nice deep crimson color. The mouthfeel and drinkability on this beer is above average considering it is a macro. If I am presented with the choices I had to choose from last night in the future I will choose Killian's again. This beer is a pretty good choice. A Killian's every now and then is a good thing.

10-03-2005 15:34:45 | More by Enola
bashiba

Iowa

Poured a slight copper red with a touch of white head.

Smell was slightly of toasted malts.

Taste was limited to a slight toasted malt flavor and water.

Mouthfeel was light, thin, and watery.

Drinkability is pretty poor as is the rest of this beer, not much more than a typical American Adjunct Macro Lager with some food coloring.

10-02-2005 03:14:53 | More by bashiba
Bonhoeffer

Alabama

2.03/5  rDev -33%

Bleh. What a waste of perfectly good water. This thing was downright unpleasant. No hops. Malt is hidden under some strange off flavor. I drank half a glass and finally decided i couldn't bear to punish myself any longer. Poured the damn thing out, which i never do... Beer is sacred.

Not this one.

09-23-2005 16:18:22 | More by Bonhoeffer
ColoradoBobs

Colorado

3.03/5  rDev 0%

Average, average, average. However, coming from Coors, that makes it pretty above average for them.

As Euro dark lagers go, call this one "light." Not much in the way of malt going on here. The bitterness is all in the hop side of things, all in the finish.

You could do worse. You could also do better.

Average.

09-20-2005 04:27:56 | More by ColoradoBobs
grbennett

2.7/5  rDev -10.9%

This used to be my go to beer. Now I can't stand it. It tastes like a dark beer that didn't finish school. It has a nice copper color but I feel like I'm going to get sick when I drink it. I don't know what it is but a real bad flavor slides down my throat when I take a sip. It's good for beginners, but otherwise don't touch it.

09-19-2005 18:14:11 | More by grbennett
Holyterror

Alabama

3.15/5  rDev +4%

I picked this up more for nostalgic value than anything. This was a favorite before I moved up to craft beer. Although I was a little hesitant to revisit it, I was actually surprised at the results.

Pours a nice reddish-amber that is considerably more appetizing than most macros. This other half of this one-two punch is the head. No, it's not a foot tall, but within the style it's impressive. It actually laces the glass nicely on the way down.

Unfortunately, it sort of loses steam after that. The nose is amazingly bland and uninspiring. A somewhat bready maltiness fights a toasted flavor, and that's about all there is to it. Hops have gone AWOL. Mouthfeel is alright, typical macro thin.

The real strength of this brew is drinkability. It may not be especially good, but it's certainly not bad. It cleanses the palate pretty well, and it's about as heavy as tap water. I may consider this as an alternative to PBR when I go for wings.

A decent attempt by Coors to brew a little bit outside the box.

09-18-2005 03:51:39 | More by Holyterror
Backer2004

3.15/5  rDev +4%

Man, I remember in college when I thought this one was the best, hands down. It was before I got into craft brews, though, before I noticed there was a whole world of beers better than this. Average red, actually a bit disappointing compared to so many others in this style. Could be a session beer if nothing else was offered or on a great special, but never a top choice.

09-17-2005 21:57:11 | More by Backer2004
ChrisBowers

2.68/5  rDev -11.6%

So my choices were Fosters, Bud, Budlight or Killians. Normally I'd opt for a water, but I hadn't had a Killians in about 5 years and figured I'd give it a whirl for the heck of it. Pours a medium-red with a fizzy head that dissipates fairly quickly. Cooked grains readily apparent in the aroma. Taste... well, its basically Coors Original with red food coloring. Really no complexity to speak of. Somewhat bitter, but not from hops. Very bland, tastes like it was probably made with a strain of Coors' lager yeast. Unremarkable, I wouldn't waste your time. I have a hard time believing that this is brewed according to the same recipe as the Euro counterpart, though I've never had that. I also find it sad that many people think this is an import and some places (bad places) even list it as being from Ireland. Coors doesn't seem to want to correct that notion either :)

09-16-2005 19:01:31 | More by ChrisBowers
AltBock

2.83/5  rDev -6.6%

12oz. bottle

Appearance: Poured an golden amber color with a small head of foam that left no lace. It is definitely not the color it says on the the label.
Smell: Not much of a smell on this one. The only thing I could smell was that of sweet malts and nothing else.
Taste: A small amount of malts with a slight hops aftertaste. Better than some. Tastes a little better on-tap.
Mothfeel: Another one that was light and watery with some carbonation.
Drinkability: A nice beer that's better than alot of macros that I've tried. If you get cheap, it will make an ok session beer.

09-11-2005 18:12:47 | More by AltBock
Vancer

2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

Well, I’m in the bowling alley’s attached saloon, can’t be too picky about what’s on tap. They do have Killians, so WTF? Not a whole lot going on here, just a standard lager with brown tones to it. Cyrstal clear, but brown - did have a decent tan head and laced the glass a little bit.

Could actually smell and taste some caramel malts (but just not near enough), and overall it had some grains / earthy flavors that were somewhat bitter. Still too thin but it did have some tang to it.

Better than a macro pilsner, but what’s not?

Oh, I notice as I’m about to enter the review, it’s classed as a Euro dark lager - cripe, that’s not fair!

08-19-2005 23:19:09 | More by Vancer
KoG

Nevada

2.53/5  rDev -16.5%

Irish Red my ass.

Darker golden body with a fizzy white head that leaves no real lacing to speak of.

Smell is slightly adjuncty with some very light malt and hop thrown in.

Taste is light malt and hop, reminds me of all the other darker adjunct lagers out there. Too thin and not very complex.

A fall back beer at best, and even then I'd go for Guinness first. Just not my style I guess but atleast it goes down pretty good.

08-18-2005 20:40:30 | More by KoG
telecaster54

4.13/5  rDev +36.3%

I have really come to enjoy this beer, even more so as time goes on. It has a deeper color and flavor compared with other macros, yet it's still drinkable. The price isn't bad either. With this beer, you get a mild, yet decent tasting version of the European varieties, but without that damned skunkiness you often get with those brews. It has a slightly sweet flavor, yet it's not overpowering. I can drink one and be happy, or I can drink many more without any ill effects. To me, it seems that Coors actually put some effort into making this beer stand out from other mass produced beers.

08-09-2005 16:03:34 | More by telecaster54