George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Aside from being produced by one of the dreaded "macro" breweries, there isn't a tremendous amount going wrong here: Decent head and inviting color. Scent of caramel and molasses. Taste is quite short of spectacualr but not bad at all, a slight hop bitterness against a malty background. Mouthfeel is Ok. Drinkability? This goes down easily so I'll say good.

In a simular vein as SA Boston Lager, Shiner Bock, it'll work, in fact, it is working just fine right now.

scottblaze, Jan 24, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +31.4%

I know this is by Coors. But this is a really good drink. It is VERY drinkable and taste pretty good. For a beer that is easily available and made by a Macro brewer, it is really good. I have had other versions of Irish Red and this one is just fine compared to them. Pours a clear red color with a nice head. Has a good clean flavor that is very drinkable.

This is a great go to beer.

likethetaste, Jan 13, 2009
3.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a nice mahogany color with a thick creamy head that provides nice lacing. The smell is purely a strong malty profile. The initial tastes provides malts in a big way with a touch of hop bitterness towards the end. The finish is somewhat metallic and leaves an odd flavor in the mouth. The mouthfeel was a bit on the syrupy side which is not really something I look for in an Irish red. This is a fairly drinkable brew, and is not a bad choice in restaurants that don't have anything but macros on tap.

penguinjive7, Jan 12, 2009
3.18/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep, clear reddish-amber, with a three finger frothy off-white head. The head subsided fairly quickly, leaving a little bit of lacing.

Smell: Sweet. Smells of malt and apples, something I didn't expect to find in this beer. Bare hints of hops.

Taste: Sweet malts and muted bitter hops. Not too much to this one. There's somewhat of an astringent taste mixed in with the hops in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thin and decently carbonated. About what you'd expect for this kind of beer.

Drinkability: Goes down very smooth. It's not going to be my first choice to buy, but I wouldn't refuse it if it was offered. Nice and refreshing.

StarlightSeraph, Jan 11, 2009
2.23/5  rDev -26.4%

Reviewed 4/5/2006 (Tap @ BWW's CL, TX):

Pours a clear red/amber colored body, very light in color, with almost no head, fine bubbles, white, and diminishing. Has a very malty aroma, not much aroma. Very malty taste, nutty, semi-bitter aftertaste. Fizzy.

jujubeast6000, Jan 07, 2009
3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a pint glass from 12 oz brown twist off bottle.

A: Color was clear bright red amber with 3/4 finger head, moderate lacing that lasts half way through the quaf.

S: The nose was faint toasted grain, light sweetness from caramel.

T: Taste is simply sweet malt, toasted grain and following the nose a faint caremel slippery candy flavor. The malt is not a major deal in this beer, leaning to the dry side, almost no bitterness which worked well to the malt. A dry toasted grain finish with good carbonation

D: True session beer and regular beer for my taste but prolly a departure into "micro" beers from the macro fellows. I remember this beer getting lots of reviews about ten years ago now and has done well to make consumers think it's an import.

Brianmerrilyn, Jan 06, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -5%

Pours a clear, bubbly amber color with a very fluffy, delicate medium white head that quickly fades to no head to never return. No lace to be noted.

Aroma is blah... Just a hint of caramel, nothing else.

Flavor is watery and sweet... Blah... Nothing impressive.

Mouthfeel is watery and week, light bodied.

Pretty drinkable because of the lightness.

hoplover82, Jan 01, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -21.5%

Had at an oyster bar in Panama City Beach Florida and it seemed the best choice. I was wrong.
Poured into a plastic mug. Ugh. Slight copper color, quickly fading head that left no lacing, but considering it was in plastic I wasn't surprised.
Smell was almost nonexistent. Slight sweetness and a lot of weird vegetable grains.
Taste was exactly like the smell. Very vegetal, mostly corn, no noticable hops and just a bit of malt.
Felt like seltzer water.
I guess it's easy to drink if you overlook the grainy taste. I couldn't so I sipped it so I wouldn't be asked if I wanted another.

kirok1999, Dec 30, 2008
3.44/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

About twenty years ago I was in Denver for some work related training with people from all over the U.S. We had a big snow storm the weekend that we were supposed to take a tour of the Coors plant. It turned out we were the only car in the huge parking lot. The folks at Coors were in the process of closing the public tour facility and kindly took us on a private tour. We also had more than one beer at the end of the tour. One of those beers I had was a Killian's Irish Red which was a new product.
At that time it was one of the best beers I'd ever tasted. So I figured it was about time to revisit an old friend. I have to say no Killian's since has ever equalled that brewery beer. And my recent purchase was no exception. My review: A fine alternative to regular macro beers. More and better malts, some real hop flavor and a clean dry finish. Very drinkable and a good introduction to something besides Bud, Miller, or Coors. Another plus is that it was cheaper than regular Coors!
Update for reformulation: 4/28/2014.
More pungent smell this time around. Malty sweet with a slight bitterness in the finish. Must have some added sugars to get it this sweet. Could use some more hops. Date on bottle says June 2, 2014. So it might be a bit old. Overall a decent product might be a good cross over beer.

Spikester, Dec 29, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -13.2%

This is a beer I might have had from time to time before embracing bolder, more extreme styles. I thought I would return to see how it fared compared to craft reds I have had lately

Served cold in a frosty mug
A - a medium amber w/ about 1 finger of pale head that vanishes after I look away. The clarity of the beer is good w/ moderate lace

S - An adjunct -like sweet malt aroma similar to toasted corn cereal

M - A really high carbonation level and very light body. The feel is slightly sweet and prickly and finishes with a touch of hop spice

T - A muted malt taste w/ subtle lager yeast flavor. The corn cereal taste elements are in the forefront w/ a hint of herbal hop. The taste is sweet, but that is the only flavor as the adjunct takes over the little hop and malt flavor there is - the gentle pale malt flavor comes out w/ a hint of toasted tinge near the bottom of the glass

D - A pretty bland lager, but it is still drinkable. It is similar to Yuengling lager and other 'amber' beers to me w/ something more in the taste -I would order this over a light or american pale lager.

Slatetank, Dec 28, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +17.2%

I was surprised to see this is coors but the unsubstantial, light grainy malt taste should have reminded me.

A- Nice dark amber colored transparent body with an OK head

S- Smell is of grainy malts and not much else. Some banana ester as it warms

T- Taste a grainy cracker-flavored malt that I am very fond of. Earthy.

M- Watery light and low carbonation

D- Very easy drinking for an irish red. good for a euro dark lager

EnojysAnyBeer, Dec 28, 2008

Had seen and heard of this lager for many years, but was never inclined to buy it. Finally bought 12 pack for $8.99 at my local Meijer. OMG!!!
I have found my next favorite beer. This was creamy, thick and hearty. No ting of heavy larger taste and overhang. Smooth, malty and absolutely incredibly drinkable. Will savor this forever and ever. Wish I would have found this delight earlier in my beer drinking career.

Rddymk, Dec 17, 2008
3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

I had this one at a work Christmas party last night.

A= This beer poured an extremely clear reddish amber color with a small white head. Not much lacing to speak of.

S= Aromas of caramel sweetness and toasted grain. That was about it.

T= Simple clean taste profile comprised of moderate caramel malt sweetness and a bit of toasted grains. Hop bitterness was mild to the point of non-existent but that is ok as the malt sweetness was not too strong either. Finish was short and moderately dry.

MF= Light to medium bodied with a moderate carbonation level also.

D= This beer seems to be an attempt at removing anything anyone might find objectionable in a beer. As such, it is easy drinking but then again, so is kool aid. Not a terrible beer, but not a beer of note either. I often think of this as my go to beer when I am in a restaurant without any non-BMC choices.

spointon, Dec 14, 2008
3.2/5  rDev +5.6%

I'm pretty sure everyone has had this at some point in there life. Many of my friends still don't believe its brewed by Coors. Some of them still consider it too "high class" for them, which is a shame. I've tried countless times to convince them otherwise to no avail.

Anyways, what can I say about it. It's appearance is dark amber. The thing I like about this most is the smell. The combination of caramel and malts is appealing to me. Taste and mouthfeel are what you would expect. Bitter taste and some carbonation. Drinkability is average.

Mistofminn, Dec 13, 2008
3.23/5  rDev +6.6%

Bright amber color with excellent clarity and a decent sized head that puts a bit of lace around the glass. Decent aroma with a slightly sweet caramel smell and a grainy character about it. The taste is similar as the grainy bready taste dominates the flavor with a bit of sweetness thrown in but overall a pretty watery taste. Mouthfeel is decent being about medium to light bodied and lacking a bit in carbonation. Much better on tap than bottle

WakeandBake, Dec 09, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -24.1%

Bottle at a friend's house.

A - Poured a deep, dark auburn. Maybe a half-finger of off-white head, which disappeared after blinking.

S - Caramel, malts, and bittering hops.

T - Bittering hops, light caramel and malts.

M - The bittering hops really dominate the mouthfeel. Very bitter with some carbonation.

D - Back in the day, this wasn't too bad. I think I'll pass and grab a Blue Moon from Coors next time.

MisterClean, Dec 08, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

it's 'aight

Well, I'm sure everyone has drank killians, the only thing I can add is that I'm surprised with the alcohol taste for being only 4.9%. It is in the smell, taste, mouth feel and exhale.

Aside from that, I guess for being moderately priced it isn't bad and is a decent enough alternative to bring if you are going to be surrounded by bud light drinkers.

cadenwhitaker, Dec 07, 2008
1.73/5  rDev -42.9%

Had this out of a keg. Where someone got a keg of Killian's is beyond me. Just awful. Poured bright red with an off-white head. Metal and sour mash in the aroma. Ultra-grainy taste with a bizarre fake-caramel back. The more you drank, the worse taste it accumulated. Average beer masquerading as a craft brew (a la Henry Weinhard's). This beer actually made me wish the keg was full of Miller Lite. I hate you George Killian, if you do exist.

magictrokini, Dec 05, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance: Pours amber/red with a medium white head, good retention, spotty lacing.

Smell: An interesting mix of malt and smoke.

Taste: Sweet malt and burnt toast. Hops are in a decent balance offering grassy notes. tastes a bit weak though.

Mouthfeel: It is watery and needs more body, it really doesn't have a finishing burst of flavour. Relatively light-bodied, an easy drinker.

Drinkability: this beer is very light and smooth enough to swill down at a cookout with some good grilled meats... good drinkability

eweneek83, Dec 02, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

It poured into my tumbler a dark copper red with a decent amount of off-white head but the lace was lacking in any type staying power. It was little grainy in the aroma with a subtle hint of hops. The flavor was alright there were hop and grainy tones combined with just a little malt sweetness. The mouthfeel was a little watery and had a lot fizz bite. Not bad. I guess I would go with it being a middle of the road beer.

MTNboy, Nov 30, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle, 99 cent single at Total Wine Tustin, best by 12/28/08,

A: Pours amber/red with a medium white head, good retention, spotty lacing.

S: An interesting mix of malt and smoke.

T: The flavour surprised me at how good it was. Sweet malt and molasses character with a bit of biscuit and burnt toast. Hops are in a good balance offering grassy notes and spice. Something's missing in the aftertaste, the beer sort of peters out, but overall quite enjoyable.

M: It is watery and needs more body, it really doesn't have a finishing burst of flavour. Relatively light-bodied, an easy drinker.

D: Certainly the best beer I have ever had from the Big 3, at it's price I'll certainly buy it again.

Halcyondays, Nov 30, 2008
2.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a mug

A_Dark brown and amber color, translucent. Very thin head that dissipates quickly

S_A light biscuity malty smell

T_A sweet, roasty flavor with a surprising aftertaste of citrus

M_Medium body, not very carbonated

D_The aftertaste does not lend itself to drinking more than one or two of these. I will probably not return to drinking too many more of these

echdk3, Nov 28, 2008
1.8/5  rDev -40.6%

It has a reddish body with a medium-sized head, but is almost completely devoid of any type of smell other than hops. This beer appears to have potential, but is corrupted by a level of bitterness that is only disrupted by a watery taste that is typical in most Coors products. The after-taste was a combination of these two factors and I could not finish the bottle.

germanbeer1, Nov 24, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearance- Nice reddish brown color. Decent off colored head with some retention, little lacing

Smell- Very balanced. Hints of malts, hops, and maybe caramel. Nothing overpowering.

Taste- Somewhat layered. First the sweet caramel-ish taste, followed by malts, then hops and a clean aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Too carbonated for me. Causes somewhat of a tingle on the tounge, similar to soda. Also a little syrupy.

Drinkability- Average drinkability for me. Not something I would want all the time, but good for something different now and then.

Overall a pretty good beer. Not a favorite, but good for something a little different.

cottonkoozie, Nov 05, 2008
3.18/5  rDev +5%

A: Reddish amber with somewhat active carbonation. Off white head starts strong. It sticks well and leaves a little lace.

S: Caramel, toasted and straw malt scents come through, but not much else.

T: Caramel and toffee flavors are out front along with some raw grain. Bitterness follows with a faintly lemon twang. Finishes rather clean.

M: Light body is a little dry. Carbonation level is only a shade on the high side.

D: This is what I go for if everything else on tap is a macro. Not bad overall.

Rayek, Nov 04, 2008