George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

I used to drink this a lot in my early beer drinking days, but I recently bought some and I think that Coors went and changed the flavor a bit. Seems less flavorful than it used to be.

It has a smell that is quite pleasant and is the most noteworthy aspect of this beer nowadays.

sirgeoph, May 01, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a mostly clear, dark amber color with quickly disappearing 1 finger head.

S: Mostly a roasted malt smell.

T: Roasty malt taste, slightly metallic, some spice and a little sweet. Fairly bitter finish.

M: Smooth mouthfeel with adequate carbonation.

D: Pretty good beer. Not much of a standout, but I could drink a few.

BeerCon5, Apr 15, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an American pint glass

A: Well, it LOOKS like an Irish red. Deep red, with a respectable head. Hmm, this might not be so bad...

S: Off. Maybe a little roasted malt, faint hops. Wait, this doesn't really smell like a red...

T: (Smacking lips) well, the malts are there - barely - a little sweet, but overall it tasted to me like... flavoured Coors?

MF/D: Bland, bland, bland mouthfeel. It's a step up from the average offering from an MFD, but it's still exceedingly watery. When you compare this to a true Irish red like Murphys Red or Smithwicks, it's not even in the same league. For a mass market low budget beer, it's okay, but I wouldn't pay money for it.

ubermick, Apr 08, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +23.8%

Pours a nice red/amber color, with decent head and a bit of lacing. Has a nice malty scent, slightly cloying, but in a bad way. Good taste, well balanced, a nice malty flavor to it with a bit of hoppy aftertaste. Goes down pretty well. While it wouldn't be my first choice of beer, it's a nicely done macro lager.

JamesS, Apr 06, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +8.3%

A: An amber/red pour. Head is a little lacking, and leaves just a trim of lacing.

S: A sweet malt and fruity aroma. Some scents of cherries, and a litle bit of a medicinal aroma.

T: Much like the scent, light cherry, a little medicinal or tinny, but not overwhelmingly so.

M + D: A little foamy carbonation, a lighter body, and refreshing. Nothing mind blowing, but quite easy to drink. Pretty straight forward and light. Probably wouldn't turn it down, but wouldn't seek it out, either.

Proteus93, Apr 02, 2008
1.6/5  rDev -47.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle, dated Jan 2008. Pours a clear golden amber with a fizzy white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film.

The aroma is sweet metallic malts with a little toasted bitterness.

The flavor is sweet nutty and toasted malts with a little leathery bitterness at the finish. It's a bit medicinal. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with some semi-sharp carbonation.

Overall, a step up from standard BMC beers, but not very good.

Beaver13, Mar 28, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -13.2%

I purchased a bottle from my local grocery store because an Irish -American friend told me she thought this beer was a small piece of heaven on earth.

The look was deep red as advertised and the head never developed and even the slightest lacing faded quickly.

The smell was not bad, a typical macro Euro-lager smell of faint malt , but not much else. The taste was not bad, just a boring non complex taste. It was a watered down taste and I was disappointed to say the least. The feel as it went down was light and smooth and I could see how some one would gulp down a few without hesitation. I guess I was built up to expect more yet I knew in the back of my mind it was not to be.

Notes: I would not waste my time buying this beer,but if at a gathering and offered one, I would take it over a Corona.

Lexluthor33, Mar 18, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -37.3%

Out the 12oz bottle on St Paddys. I used to like this one, so I thought.

A: Dark red with a limp head.

S: Nothing shy of brutal. Incredibly BMC non appetizing odor with little to no malt but really skunkiness. I have to chalk some up to this one maybe being a bit old.

T: Watery with not much flavor and a bit of malt which is the only becoming part of this one.

M: Water like.

D: In terms of being waterlike, its easily drinkable but lack of any pleasure from it takes that right away.

marcpal, Mar 17, 2008

Note: this is a dark lager, and really has no business being connected to Ireland or George Killian, whose ale recipe is most faithfully reproduced today by Smithwick's and others.

A: Ok, better than most other Coors offerings. The color is a dark but thin red-brown, it looks artificially colored. The head is a fluffy, foamy tan. It lacks the richness that one would expect from either an Irish beer (which it isn't) or from a dark lager.

S: basic dark beer, some roasted malt and generic hops

T: Thin, distant malt and hops. Not much complexity, but decently enjoyable in a mindless kind of way. Nothing makes me go back for more, but nothing repels either.

M: Not much, water comes to mind.

D: It is drinkable, but only because it is so light.

Summary:
This beer is ok, considering the usual price, but why not skip a couple of six packs of Killian's and save for something better? Has no business being consumed on St. Pats: it is neither Irish nor is it in the style of anything Irish!

mualphapiper, Mar 15, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark amber body with a small, off-white head.

Smell: Weak, nearly non-existent aroma with just a bit of green apple and hint of malt.

Taste: Overall light flavor, there's just a touch of grainy malt. More of the green apple from the "aroma". Very, very light bitterness. Watery finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation. Watery mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A real letdown.

ChainGangGuy, Mar 15, 2008
3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. The beer pours a medium copper, forming a 1/2 inch tan head, which leaves very small spots of lace behind. The aroma is very maly, and thats about it. The taste is a mix of malts and grain. The taste really reminds me of a malt liqour, mainly Olde English, but not as bad. Smooth mouthfeel. This is an easy enough drinker, except that the flavor is lacking. Overall, not as bad as I thought, but not something that I'll keep on hand.

beeragent, Mar 14, 2008
2.1/5  rDev -30.7%

Left at my wife's boss's home, this too got a try today. Not a half-bad looking beer, honestly--a rich, dark red body capped by two fingers of white froth, with modest lacing on the way down the glass. Mildly malty aroma with hints of berry, but little else emerges, as was the taste. It least it's smooth and not quick to flatten out, which do count for something.

Not a beer to which I'll return, thankfully. I honestly don't drink Coors products usually; I certainly don't buy them, largely due to the extremist politics of the Coors family. I've certainly had far better but, among macros, this at least isn't the worst.

Gehrig, Mar 13, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

Red amber in color, my personal favoite. Pours foramy head that does not last along with minimal glass lacing.
Smell has light sweet scent that also comes through in the taste. Taste has just a faint note of vanilla.
Not thin in the mmouth with at least a medium body, a little fizzy. More substantial that the other macro's that come out of Golden Co.

jadpsu, Mar 11, 2008
3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance red/amber in color two finger off white head but not much lacing. Smell some sweet caremel malt maby some rosted notes not much else. Taste some malt sweetness just a touch of hop bitterness not much to brag about though. Mouthfeel mediem body high carbonation. Drinkability ok for a mass market beer company if your looking for somthing great go somewhere else.

BeerTaster, Mar 03, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

Received as part of a holiday gift case of beer. I poured a bottle of George Killians Irish Red from UniBev Corporation of Golden, Colorado. Nice made up name from Coors. I suppose it is to confuse people with InBev or something.

I remember this beer from about 15 years ago when it came out. The trend at the time must have been red beer. It came out along with Michael Shea's and some others.

Anyway back to the beer, pours a nice amber/copper color with about a one finger head which quickly disapears. Mild aroma, faint malt smell. Taste is similarly mild and balanced with light malt and hops taste. Mouthfeel again is sort of middle of the road. Nothing great but nothing awful. Not a bad beer at all. There probably should be a new category, such as American Macro Craft or something for these beers which are somewhere in between Budweiser and Sam Adams. As a mass market beer, it is pretty good, but if I am going for a beer like this I would probably grab a Yuengling here in PA.

lionking, Mar 02, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +20.5%

Light amber-bronze color, with some thin dense head for an American Macro. Active carbonation.

Not much scent besides some sweet grainy malt.

Light-bodied and clean like a normal American light lager, but with some actual taste. Has some caramel-malt sweetness. Would go great with barbecued ribs, as it has the taste to hang with the BBQ ,yet the crispness enough through cut the grease.

Yes, I can taste the adjuncts, but it is not too distracting. When the glass warms up, there's some Kentucky bourbon that slows down the sips for us normal folk.

A simple, easy-drinking beer with some flavor. Much better from the tap like this.

chiefydawg, Mar 01, 2008
3.15/5  rDev +4%

Another American macro, but not bad considering.

Pours copper strawberry. Smell is light and mostly grainy. Some sweet bread aromas as well. Pretty boring. So far it feels like a blind date whom you have nothing in common with.

Taste is fine. Those same mass produced grains dominate, but there are some caramel flavors as well, and a light bitterness that helps distinguish it from the other macros. It's like the kid who colors his hair green to stand out, but really isn't that different from everyone else.

I'll have this from time to time, when I just want a thoughtless macro.

ElGrecoVerde, Feb 25, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -14.9%

Someone left one at my house. Had to review!

Pours a deep ruby red color, with maybe 1 finger head.

Smell - whoa. It actually smelled like rotting vegetables. This almost scared me away from trying, but like a car wreck, just couldn't help myself...

Taste was actually not bad. Nothing particularly jumped out at me - some mild, malty, grainy flavor. Until it warmed a bit - and then, I swear I noticed Wild Turkey.

This had a very light carbonation, and that was all the mouthfeel notes I could muster.

This is relatively drinkable - especially if you pinch your nose to avoid the horrific smell first.

BeerImmediately, Feb 23, 2008
2.28/5  rDev -24.8%

I don't particularly care for Killians, and depending on my mood may actually drink it; but most of the time I avoid it. It's a good first step for those progressing from the standard mass-produced beers to the finer ones; but it's something that most people with taste move beyond. The quest for a better beer is soon met by a multitude of others.

donteatpoop, Feb 21, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -3.3%

I used to think this was great beer, before I had ever had great beer. Now it's very hard to drink. But I found that with pizza, choosing between Bud Light and Kilian's is easy--pass the darker beer, please. In bottle form, it's really bad. On tap, it's fine.

boogles, Feb 15, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours a deep copper color with not much of a head. What head there is, dissipates very quickly into nothing. Hints of sweet malts and mild graininess in the aroma. I'm not picking up much more in the smell. Flavor is pretty good and sweet candy malts and toffee right up front, however it quickly turns into a terrible skunk taste/finish. This bottle may be a victim of light damage. I am not sure. Mouthfeel is between thin and moderate-bodied, with good carbonation, and a semi-dry finish. If the skunkiness wasnt apparent, I could drink a few of these no problem but it greatly hinders the drinkability factor. Mediocre.

Doomcifer, Feb 14, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -27.4%

A 'friend' gave me a 6 pack of these for my birthday as it was the 'best' beer she could find... I'm thinking they may be in my fridge til next year.

This was actually one of my training beers back in college and wow have my tastes changed. Poured into a pint glass, transparent red with plenty of carbonation bubbles floating through. Head was mediocre at best and died off fast. Smell was funky, but not skunked, a bit metallic with some minor hops barried in there. Very oily on my tongue and carbonated, the metallic tastes comes back to me here and I'm getting some sweet, almost artificial sugar flavors. I really feel like a beer snob now, I have no desire to finish the pack as it took me longer than I'd like to finish one. More interesting for me to go back to something I once thought wasn't a bad beverage.

ballewblake, Feb 12, 2008
3.05/5  rDev +0.7%

It's a relatively pretty ruby color, not that much head. Smells lightly grain, lightly malty, but not much of anything else. Taste is... nothing special. Veeery light grain and hop flavor, barely any malts. What I can taste isn't offensive, it's just barely there.

Mouthfeel is so-so. Sudsy and chewy enough for this particular brew. Overall an easy beer to drink, nothing exciting, but not disgusting.

scooter231, Feb 11, 2008
3.03/5  rDev 0%

Poured a medium amber hue with a half finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light toasted malt with a bit of sweet corn.

The taste consisted of a sweet and syrupy malt with hints of corn and a slight flowery hop.

The mouthfeel was of average fullness for the style.

Overall not all that bad ice cold and on tap. Easy enough to drink.

plaid75, Feb 11, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -5%

A: A clear amber/red color. Small head that fades fast, and little lace.
S: Not bad, kind of fruity with some carmel malt.
T: Blah, not that good. Just kind of bland.
M/D: This is a little to carbonated for me. Nothing over the top, drinkable.

I use to drink this all the time in college. I thought this was great stuff compared to BMC (which I guess it is). All in all a beer that one of the big boys made to make people think they are drinking a premium beer. Though, I still drink it from time to time if nothing else is available at a bar.

champ103, Feb 10, 2008