George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev +8.3%

Pale amber color and good clarity. Thick creamy head, tightly bubbled, and with good retention.

Malty, nondescript aroma. No hops. A bit of corny sweetness as warms.

Malty but balanced with a gentle hop bitterness. Finishes slightly bitter, but also fairly clean. Overall the flavors are very damped and muted, as might be expected from a macro brewery.

In terms of drinkability, it is a mild and easy drinking malt forward kind of beer. Not to be confused with a primo dark German lager, but an easy drinking and enjoyable brew.

mpyle, Feb 10, 2007
2.42/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Poured into a tall pilsner glass, it yields a clear, light amber body with a big, airy, off-white head that disappears quickly.

S: Not sure what that smell is -- first thing that comes to mind is corn syrup and maybe sweet malt; no, make that over-sweet malt.

T: Bland and non-offensive at first. Like the nose, it's sweet -- molasses, corn syrup and maybe some caramel malt. A slight metallic aftertaste appears deep at the end of the sip, but mainly this is all about sweetness.

M: Light in body, slightly slick in feel.

D: Like I said above, the first few sips weren't so bad. Towards the end, however, it became a chore to drink this overly sweet beer and eventually I drained the last few ounces.

Notes: A Bud Light-drinking neighbor brought this over, knowing I like "microbrews." I suppose Coors deserves kudos for being able to convince some folks that this fits the bill as a craft-brewed beer. It clearly is not. Funny thing is, about 15 years ago, I would sometimes get this in pitchers at certain bars, as it was (1) darker than your average macro lager; and (2) relatively cheap. Back then I thought it wasn't half bad for what it was. Either my tastes have evolved or this brew has gotten significantly worse, because nowadays I am not able to drink this.

Kendo, Feb 03, 2007
2.6/5  rDev -14.2%

It has a nice dark red, brownish color, but that is where the "niceties" end. Faint smell of "something", mostly alcohol, but is so fleeting I could not really appreciate.
The taste is similar, some alcohol, bread, maybe minimal malts, but again goes away way too quickly.
Mouthfeel is null, and it is very easy to drink, but so is water.
Not getting any more of this.

brdc, Jan 17, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -25.7%

The best thing that can be said of this beer is it looks and pours acceptable. After that, it all downhill.
There is absolutely no aroma, and after tasting this beer, I realized the aroma matched the flavor...non existant. I guess this is a prime example of what happens when a "macro" take over a once respected label. It heads for the bottom of the barrel.
Such a shame. I remember the day when this beer was fairly tasty. It has even been turned into a lager from it former ale status.
Thank heavens it was given to me and i didnt have to pay for it.

dmamiano, Jan 15, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

Came to the table with a full, creamy head. Brownish and copper in color with a nice retention of the lace.

Slight malt but nothing really stood out.

Taste was a little better than expected from the smell. More of the malt came through with a hint of sweetness.

Have to rate slightly above average because this is a go to draught when all the other available is macro, especially the watered down varieties. Usually a good alternative in the bottle also.

SMark, Jan 11, 2007
3.65/5  rDev +20.5%

Darker amber-red body with very little offwhite head that dissipates quickly and leaves almost no lacing. Smell is almost entirely caramel malt. Tastes like caramel malt, but not very strong. Fairly watery in flavor and mouth feel - light side of medium bodied. Seems like it should be tastier, but definitely one of the better offerings from a macro-brewer. I could see myself drinking this again, if there's no Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, or local craft brews etc, this is what I'd go to. I'd prefer this over almost any other macro.

MrHurmateeowish, Dec 31, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

pours a redish whiskey color with a minimal head and no lacing at all. smell is slightly caramel slightly bready. taste same. mouthfeel nothing special. very plain very blah beer. if you have other another choice take it. hope there are some better styles of this beer out there.

billybob, Dec 30, 2006
3.03/5  rDev 0%

It pours a crystal clear and carbonated reddish amber. A finger of off-white head, pithy and light, swells and dwindles in a quick cycle. Lacing is minimal and strained.

The aroma is a very sparse blend of lightly fruity malt and floral, almost perfumey hops. But noticeably and blissfully absent is any real adjunct character, a plus for this beer considering the brewer.

Upon tasting, a brief malt sweetness carries the tiniest of berries to the fruity fore before the bittering hops nip that on the bud and conjure up a lazy swirl of floral spiciness. The finish is quite crisp, though something odd at the periphery was indistinguishable, and I finished it quickly so I would not taste more once it had warmed. If you look up average in the OED, you could very well find this beer's flavor as a definition.

Light bodied, the fair malt presence and hop florality combine with the carbonation to establish some measure of decent feel on the palate.

This is a beer I've had countless times, would never buy for myself, and was down to drinking after all else was gone by the second half of the Eagles' obliteration of the Cowboys. As noted previously, I was pleased with the lack of any real adjunct character, but the overall so-so nature of the beer means it's about as average as average gets. So that means its lightish way makes it go down smooth, but I'm not going to rave about that just because average is all I was left with. So I don't like it, and I don't dislike it. It doesn't offend me, and it doesn't engage me. It just doesn't do much of anything, really, except go down, then get forgotten.

Foxman, Dec 26, 2006
3.03/5  rDev 0%

Pours a reddish amber color with a small white head with decent retention. Smells of toasted malt and caramel; nothing too strong. Taste is a little malty sweetness and a little hop bitterness towards the middle. Not bad when nothing else is available. Not great either.

hckyfn9999, Dec 19, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Killian’s Irish Red comes out of the bottle with a nicely plotted head that quickly dissolves into a thin pale tan blanket, it has very little lacing but it makes a good contrast to the body. Its body has a nice amber hue but seems to be a bit thin, but it’s still a great beer to look at. This beer feels a little dull on your tongue but it rolls onto your mouth very smoothly; it has a slightly tart taste to it, but it finishes with a crisp aftertaste that goes down with no problems.

vickersspitfire, Dec 17, 2006
3.45/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass. The liquid was as advertised, dark red with ok carbonation. The head was small tan and left little to no lace.

The smell was pleasant, mildly malty, some light hops.

The taste was not bad, in fact good. Nutty with a dry bitter finish.

The mouthfeel was not so great, kind of thin. Light carbonation.

Drinkability was ok better than it's kin. And possibly I bit underrated. In a bad pinch it could work. MK

MuenchenerKindl, Dec 06, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Got the Killian's on-tap at bw3's in Athens, OH.

Appearance: amber color with a think white head
Smell; cereal grains, some skunkiness
Taste: some of that typical macro taste; some maltiness; not that impressive though anyway you look at it
Mouthfeel: light bodied
Drinkability: could have a few in a night; pretty easy to chug

I remember this beer being better when I was younger.

Applesauce1, Nov 22, 2006
3.6/5  rDev +18.8%

Thought I’d try something new last night at dinner as there was no Sam Adam’s to have with my burger. Served on tap in a 23oz glass.

A. Copper color that was clear. Carbonation lasted through the glass. Served with a cream colored head that dissipated fairly quickly. Minimal Lacing.

S. Smell was of fruits, changing over to a smell that was almost “pukey”. I felt cheated at this point because it smelled so bad and tasted so good.

T. Tasted hoppy, with fruit notes swirled into the mix

M. Smooth and crisp. Not overly carbonated. Slightly watery, but not a bad thing. Slid right on down.

D. First issue here was the serving temperature. I could barely hold the glass it was so cold. So I admired the eye candy before me while it warmed up. Unfortunately this made me witness to the head disappearing. Once I got past the smell it was very drinkable. I could see some of my macro-swill drinking friends enjoying this. Had I not run out of food I would have had another to finish off a great meal.

uwpman, Nov 21, 2006
3.38/5  rDev +11.6%

I have a lot of history with this beer. My first (and thank God only) case of "bedspins" was induced by multiple pitchers of Killian's in my college days. It was one of the first beers that didn't fall into the american lager category that I drank with any regularity, and I have a Great grandmother whose maiden name was Killian(whose heritage I traced to County Galway while on a pilgrimage to Ireland). All that being said I still enjoy this beer on rare occasion, but it still manages to give me a touch of a hangover even if I only have couple. I've yet to figure it out, more research is required.
A: copperish red color with light carbonation and thin head S: light hints of sweet malts with a touch of a hopped finish. T: Semisweet malts with a little hop balance that is muted by strong hints of phenol? maybe that exude a kind of mildly skunked character to the finish(perhaps this is what disagrees with my system?)This is not altogether unpleasant and is variable between bottles. M: thin but enough to present flavors and smoothness. D: I would classify this a pretty drinkable beer when no better options exist. I will continue to moderately patronize this homage to Irish reds.

veech, Nov 12, 2006
3.38/5  rDev +11.6%

This is a pretty good Irish red Lager.

A: Pours a light brown and once it settles it has a red brown body with a head that lasts for quite a bit.

S: Has a strong flourescent smell. Slightly below average.

T: It has a strong taste of vegetable oil, and is has a decent ammount of wheatiness to it. Pretty good.

M: Not very bubbly and the decent taste make for a decent mouthfeel.

D: Goes down pretty smooth although it has a bit of a dry aftertaste to it, pretty good.

Bottom Line: I'd say this is a decent Irish Lager that I can safely say I would highly reccomend to any Irish Lager fan, Ta ta.

xtremejammn, Nov 11, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -9.9%

12oz bottle, no date. Pours a ruddy, rusty amber. On finger off-white, a little creamy, poor retention and sporadic dots of lacing.

The nose is weak--some faint hops and malt. The flavor offers weak hops, some sweet grain and malt--it's almost more pils than ale, though less hop character than either of those styles.

The mouth is light and simple. It lacks character and has this unpleasnt aftertaste--a little phenolic. It's better than some of the macro stuff, but only as a last resort.

Osiris9588, Oct 30, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -17.5%

I picked up a six pack of Killian’s Irish Red lager at a grocery store to taste, review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a redish-copper color and is clear. A yellowish-white two-finger head forms and is somewhat resilient. The head produces a little lacing.

The smell is fairly strong, and floral. There are a bit of a perfume fragrance.

The taste is a bit of a skunky malt flavor. There is a sharp contrast between the malt flavor and a bitter hop finish.

The mouth feel is crisp smooth and clean, perhaps a little watery.

This is a drinkable beer. It’s not a great beer, but OK.

RJLarse, Oct 28, 2006
3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

This brew has great amber red color and nice smooth mouth feel lending to its great drinkabilty. Good carbonation with a creamy tan head that slowly fades to a good lace. It has a nice malt taste with a finish that just a touch dry. Always a good standby due it wide availability.

MrVisegrips, Oct 28, 2006
2.55/5  rDev -15.8%

*Did not mind would not buy*

app: A lot less red than I hoped for.. especially "Irish red" decent head eggshell white. eh, ok.

smell: up front some faint floral hops, and a small amount of bland malt, THEN the smell of an all american beer. YUM YUM. reminds me of baseball!

taste: no real malts at all, being an irish red or amber if you will, I feel the malts need to be jacked up a god bit. there is a delicate floral and slight citrus hop finish. followed by that good ole american taste that robs your mouth of moisture.
I do not see any real difference in this and a non irish amber macro brew except maybe a touch more sweetness, a lil less grain, and maybe a touch more in the breath of hops department. very un exciting and bland.

mf: watery and not a livley carbonation makes for a boring dance inside my mouth. not that bad though I guess.

drinkable?: I guess that depends on how you define thiis catagory.. he he.. well yes it is, the one thing it is great at is that it goes down like sparkiling water.

overall: not bad, not good, has more nice tasting malts than the other products from these types of brewers.. (being general) I just wish there was even MORE malts.

I did this partly as a test, just to see what it was like to rate a "normall beer" . to see what type of numbers came out of it. I think I am suprised that it is so low. I was thinking maybe the review system was flawed and bad beers, or beers people really dont like or wouldnt drink again were getting rated to high. well this show me that my number to taste bud comunication is at least kinda working.
Now I think I will try to find I beer I really hate, and review it to see how it stacks up against this.

AndoBrew, Oct 19, 2006
3.03/5  rDev 0%

Pours an amber-red color with a small head that lasts for a short while before becoming an off-white film. Smells clean and cheap - grain and a little sweet doughiness. More vague sweetness in the flavor. The malt comes frustratingly close to being decent, just a brief flash of gritty caramel before being covered up with a too-clean grainy quality. Medium-light body with adequate carbonation.

Nothing about this beer is special, but nothing is all that terrible either. Meh, its a cheap lager that's a step up from the usual dregs Coors turns out.

wedge, Oct 19, 2006
3.15/5  rDev +4%

Looks are not half bad. Clear, warm redish-brown color with a beige creamy colored head that begins about two fingers in size and fades in appropriate time to a nice little topping. Nose is quietly toasty, creamy, with a caramel malt smoothness. Very soft and simple but smellable. Taste is soft as well with more of that similar toasty caramel. This is actually pleasant even though it could certainly use a lot more flavors and complexity, even as a lager. Mouthfeel is clean, smooth, and a tiny bit creamy and coating. Carbonation is about right and just crisp enough for this and body is medium-light but more light than medium. Drinkabillity is certainly better for this than some of the 'crappy' beers I've recently had that are in the ol family fridge. I am actually drinking this because it has some enjoyment, however small the enjoyment quantities might be. The other 'crappy' beers I speak of are drinkable because I want to get them down more than taste them.

So there you have it. Not great/worth seeking out by any means, but a good choice if the other options are just downright awful.

tastybeer, Oct 19, 2006
3.38/5  rDev +11.6%

Yes it is a macro-brew, and yes it is distributed by Coors, but honestly this beer is a very drinkable amber lager. The beer pours a clear amber-red color with a slight tan head. Slight lacing. Malty smell, but nothing too strong or distinct.

Flavor is sweet, malty with a bit of hops. Not overpowering, it holds its own. Mouthfeel is clean, if a bit thin and watery. It won't wow you with flavor, and it's nothing you haven't had before, but it is a highly drinkable. A very solid beer to have at parties or just watching the game.

BBM, Oct 17, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +15.5%

Served on tap in a 23oz. glass

Appearence--Nice deep mahogany color, no real head on this one.

Taste/Mouthfeel--Nicely balanced, but entirely safe taste. Nothing outstanding, but certainly not offensive. Good carbonation.

Drinkability--Goes down very easily.

arnulfooxblood, Oct 16, 2006
3.03/5  rDev 0%

I had this beer on tap in a glass beer mug. Its color is an amber-red with what seems to be a lot of carbonation, a smallish tan head with slight lacing. It is hoppy in both smell and taste, it goes down smooth, not too bitter. This is an average beer, a better choice than bud or miller if those are your choices of beer on tap.

adammills, Oct 12, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +14.9%

This beer sometimes gets a bum rap. This stuff is my favorite beer when I'm thirsty and need a drink ASAP. Its very drinkable, goes down smooth and easy, and doesn't fill you in the least. Great brew for St. Patrick’s Day, when you got to get more then a few in you. For being a mainstream beer, and brewed by my least favorite company (Coors), it isn't bad. Its light, has a nice carbonation, nice malt taste in the beginning, and finishes slightly dry. Don't hate.

pgenius, Oct 12, 2006