George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
beachbum1975

2.1/5  rDev -30.7%

It appears that there are 353 other reviews on this beer, so I am going to take a different approach:

I can sum Killian's Irish Red on tap up in one sentence:

“The "exotic" beer you can find at your local dive bar when only other choices are Bud and Bud Light.” *

Great looks, sub-average smell and taste – if all else fails, it’s a heck of a lot better than Coors.

Also, if being consumed at that same dive bar, be prepared to get crap from your macrobrew drinking pals or old college roommate about being a “Beer Yuppie”… (Don't feel bad for them, they have NO idea what real beer is.)

09-06-2006 22:29:45 | More by beachbum1975
llitsua

2.58/5  rDev -14.9%

Single 12 oz bottle given to me as part of a basket for a favor for hosting an engagement party, poured into a pint glass.

I must admit I have somewhat of a soft a spot for this beer- I drank it often my senior year of HS, liking its toasty malt flavor while most of my friends stuck to the flavorless BMC varieties- I guess this is technically a Coors offering. Now, most of my friends stick to the BMC offerings, while I enjoy imperial stouts and massively-hopped IPA’s. Let’s see how it holds up now:

A- Color is a beautiful red color, with pillowy, quick-developing head that fades rather quickly, leaves very minimal lacing

S- Tinge of fruit, mustiness, at slight bit of toasted nuts- nothing really stands out or is impressive- rather bland aroma

T- Stale bitterness up front, which fades into a skunky maltiness, finishes with a creamy, somewhat pleasant taste with minimal hop presence

M- Carbonation is somewhat heavy up front, leaves a very watery mouthfeel

D- The light flavor of this beer makes it somewhat easy to drink, but the skunkiness of it prevents me from wanting to- perhaps I had an older bottle.

Overall, I have to say that my tastes have come a long way. This was my go-to beer when I was in my teens, now I must say I’m not too fond of it. I see that the EXP date is in about a month- I may try a fresher sample in the future, as I’ve had this beer even recently and remember it tasting better

09-06-2006 02:07:59 | More by llitsua
dungaree

3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

Served on tap in a tall pilsner glass.
Has a deep maroon hue- an enticing and inviting color.
Tastes of subtle toasted malts but not enough flavor for me.
Definitely a macro brew but better than most macro brews.
For being made in America, it's a decent Irish Red.

08-27-2006 21:16:34 | More by dungaree
BryanCarey

2.88/5  rDev -5%

Killians Irish Red is a beer that starts off weak but finishes with some good taste that makes it one of the better mass- produced beers. The weakness comes in the beginning. Killians has a nice, reddish- brown hue but there is little foam and it falls apart quickly. The nose isn’t very impressive either, with a smell that is a little paper like and dry. But once you get to the actual tasting, you discover that Killians is a good product. The flavor emphasizes caramelized malt and it is sweet and inviting. It finishes with a small dose of hops that, while inadequate when compared to a good microbrew, is pretty good for a beer produced by a large brewery. There is even a small amount of creaminess to this product that adds to its appeal and drinkability.

Killians Irish Red is a pretty good product from the Coors Brewing Company and it exceeds the taste expectations for a beer from this macro brewery. It can’t compare to some of the great red brews from around the USA and the world but it is still fairly tasty for a large- scale production brew. It isn’t as complex as it could be, but I still like it nonetheless.

08-14-2006 20:54:11 | More by BryanCarey
jasonjlewis

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

A lot of friends brag about drinking this. It's the same price as the American Lagers at a local bar, so I have one sometimes if I don't want to spend a lot of money. Everyone thinks they are drinking some really cool micro beer, but it's really average.

Not demanding on the taste buds, almost kind of sweet. It's a nice copper color. Mouthfeel isn't impressive. I could drink a few of these, but wouldn't brag about it or enjoy myself nearly as much as my friends do.

07-29-2006 18:36:45 | More by jasonjlewis
sabrills70

2.83/5  rDev -6.6%

12 brown bottle with a drinl before date of November 13. Pours a mediu amber with a 1 finger head that faded rater qiuckly. OK lace. A decent toasted malt aroma for a macro. Initial rich malts up front but nothing to back it up. All flavors quickly fade away leaving a trace of beer flavor in the mouth. A beer that makes macro drinkers think they are drinking something special. Flavorless and unappealing.

07-16-2006 16:53:00 | More by sabrills70
jpkoch1962

Indiana

2.03/5  rDev -33%

Neighbor offered me one -couldn't be rude. Poured ice cold into beer glass. Reddish amber color with 1 inch head the color of dirty wash water. Aroma was surprisingly rich for an Industrial Lager. Could actually detect toasty caramel hints. While this beer was much smoother than a Bud, it had the typical bite of 6-row lager malts. The body was fuller, and I could detect a sweet, carmal like background. Some bitterness in the finish, as well as lingering sweetness.

07-12-2006 19:19:59 | More by jpkoch1962
mithrascruor

3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a very clear, bright reddish-amber. Nice foamy head, nearly an inch.

Smell: Roasted grains, some hops, and a bit of malt. Fairly pronounced smell, or at least exceeded my expectations in that respect.

Taste: Mostly roasted grains, somewhat bitter hops, and caramel. Not bad, but not too complex. You don't notice anything new with subsequent sips.

Mouthfeel: Mostly smooth, with light carbonation. Light- to medium-bodied. Feels a bit grainy after swallowing.

Drinkability: Pretty drinkable; alcohol isn't very prominent.

It's an alright beer, no major complaints. But it doesn't really have a lot going for it either. Usually fairly inexpensive, so it's ok to get once in a while.

07-01-2006 03:19:29 | More by mithrascruor
guitarmage

Oregon

3.63/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearance: Amber with reddish hues, moderate off white head, with thin lacing ring.

Smell: Grains and a mild apple smell, maybe a little grassy hops in the background.

Taste: Wheaty upfront becomes a little fruity, and then a little alcohol warmth, leaves the mouth with a bready aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation and light to medium bodied, finishes very dry, nice and crisp.

Drinkability: All flavors are very subtle, which is nice if you don't want something overpowering. A few bready and apple flavors make it unique. Completely enjoyable, no complaints.

07-01-2006 00:26:48 | More by guitarmage
Prufrock

3.53/5  rDev +16.5%

12 oz. bottle into a pilsner.

clear orange amber with a touch of white head that leaves thin rings of lace.

sweet, woody, cherry-like roasted malt aroma with strong caramel backing.

toasted malts with hints of honey sweet cherry in the flavor. a touch of hop balance, but fairly light in bitterness. light, drinkable feel with a stingy carbonation. a surprisingly drinkable, flavorful widely available beer.

06-28-2006 04:13:09 | More by Prufrock
rhythmguitartz88

3.63/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearamce- It poured a dark amber and had a significant head

smell- It was a sweet, fruity, malty mixed smell

taste- it was sweet up front with malt twards the end

mouthfeel- it went down pretty smooth

drinkablity- it very drinkable i could drink 3 or 4 in a night

06-19-2006 14:52:02 | More by rhythmguitartz88
bignick

3.45/5  rDev +13.9%

On tap for free at the Belmont Stakes in Queens. Served in a plastic cup.

Deep red with more of a head than I would expect at a racetrak. There is little complexity to this beer, and what's there is at the surface. I do dig the smokiness of the malt, and it makes for a very drinkable beer sitting outside in the summer.

06-13-2006 21:26:48 | More by bignick
styxnpicks

3.28/5  rDev +8.3%

Decided to pick up another random beer. looks like I did pretty good. one of the best macros I've tried so-far. boured an nice copper amber (almost orange) with about 3/4-1 inch cream colored head.that dissappeared quickly. taste was very smooth. with little to no dryness, slight caramel. a little weaterd down for my taste but FAR more more flavor than most amarican macro lagers. a little more carbonation would have helped the mouth feel. easily drikable and enjoyable. The only thing I didn't like was the smell of this beer which in my glass was that of puke. no kidding.

06-08-2006 12:50:28 | More by styxnpicks
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.48/5  rDev +14.9%

Had this on tap in Cavelier (sp?) ND

Pours caramel to red with a 1" white head. Minimal head retention & no lacing

Smell: Fruittyness & malt hints

Taste: fruity up front then caramel. Finishes malty & dry

MF: Okay balance, but nothing really asserts itself, slightly undercarbonated

Drinks okay, good beer to have when you're miles away from beer civilization. At its best (fresh) its better than this review. At its worst, just mundane

06-08-2006 02:42:39 | More by russpowell
wingman14

2.93/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a dark red with a huge off-white head. There wasn't much smell considering the big head on this beer. I did get it on tap, but even after the head faded there wasn't much going on. Smell was mixed with hops and malts, a standard macro. The taste is a bit different, hard to pinpoint, but a good mix and balance. Good for a macro, more flavor than your average, has a small bite to it. This is worth trying especially if you are looking towards average prices for a better macro than the rest. It has a good mouthfeel and it is easy to drink. If you are confined to buying from a grocery store with macro offerings Killian's is a good choice.

06-07-2006 04:22:47 | More by wingman14
goochpunch

Poured into a mug with a moderate amber body and a fluffy off white head. Not much in the aroma department except for a little grain and toasty malt. Again, this tastes grainy, a lot like a macro lager. What bolsters the rating on the flavor is the presence of the toastiness. Almost has a cocoa flavor to it. Mouthfeel was too light and prickly for me. Aside from the bad points, this was rather drinkable with my pizza.

05-21-2006 04:27:24 | More by goochpunch
neenerzig

3.73/5  rDev +23.1%

This beer is ok. Its appearance is the best thing about it. It is not anything special. But this beer is good for a beer that is brewed by Coors. Had a bottle at my grandparents house with dinner recently. A 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. This beer is a deep red/amber color with a white foamy head about over an inch thick when poured. Settles to a nice surface coating after about 5 minutes. Decent lace here. It certainly is much better than anything else I have ever had by Coors. The smell is a bit weak, it is of some mild toasted malt and a hint of caramel is also present, followed by a trace of hops. It tastes mainly of mildly toasted malt and some mild hops. It has mild carbonation and leaves a dry and bitter aftertaste. It could be a lot worse, but this beer is not all that interesting and leaves something more to be desired. It seems to me that this beer has more potential than its brewers have fully realized. This beer could maybe be more if its brewers would try harder. However, out of all the American macro lagers, this is certainly one of the more enjoyable ones out there.

Eric

05-16-2006 01:23:00 | More by neenerzig
evanackerman

0k, this beer really surprised me, being from Coor's i expected something only mildly drinkable, I was wrong. Beer is a very nice red color with a sizable head that leaves plenty of lacing.

aroma is of caramel and toasty malt.

flavor is nice tosty malt up front followed by a mild hop presence.

mouthfeel is just right for the style, medium viscosity, well carbonated.

overall, i couldn't really find anything wrong with this beer, it is pretty good actually, and easy to drink. i will have again when i'm at a restaurant with limited options.

05-11-2006 02:43:48 | More by evanackerman
Mechphisto

Missouri

3.2/5  rDev +5.6%

Being pretty new to serious beer tasting I don't think my palate is sophisticated enough yet to get subtle nuances, but I can say Killian's Irish Red is better than your average macrobrew but not near as interesting as Guinness for example.

In fact, Killian's is very much like a somewhat stronger version of a standard macro, only prettier looking.

It's very nice looking color, a darkish, red tinted. The head is on the thin and weak side, but certainly better than most. Doesn't last very long.

Not much of an odor. And not too interesting of a taste. Slightly hoppy, slightly bitter, vaguely sweet, but nothing you can pause and say "Hmm, do I detect notes of blank? Is that a touch of blank?"

Pretty bland in the mouth, watery.

But like I said, it's like a slightly higher quality macrobrew. Drinkable if there's nothing else but Bud, but I'd certainly rather have something more interesting.

05-09-2006 22:46:20 | More by Mechphisto
Sosh

Indiana

3.53/5  rDev +16.5%

I had this right after I drank my unimpressive Shiner Bock. I did like this better, and it was very nice on-tap. It had a nice head at first, but faded and left a little lace. It definatley had a taste, and a good one at that, but nothing to write home about. I don't think I'd ever be unsatisfied with this beer, but there are certainly better options. However, great as far as Coors is concered.

*Note* I just had this beer again today for lunch, and i could now see the appearance. As I probably could've guessed, it was red...really red. Looked good.

05-07-2006 02:38:02 | More by Sosh
ozzyfan97

North Dakota

4.15/5  rDev +37%

This happens to be one of my favorite all time beers.
Appearance: Nice medium light red color.
Smell: N/A
Taste: Well carbonated and a little watery.
Mouthfeel: Watery
Drinkability: Easy going down!
So I recommend that if you are strapped for some cash and you want to enjoy a beer go ahead and enjoy a Irish Red beer. Not to mention its perfect for St. Patricks Day!! Oh yeah!!

05-03-2006 07:45:15 | More by ozzyfan97
Bigjay1584

3.53/5  rDev +16.5%

I think this one is highly underrated considering the price. Living in Binghamton, this is the absolute best keg you can get.. which is not too shabby. 79 bucks for a keg (not too shabby in this area either).

Has a nice reddish amber color with a respectable fluffy head

Not a really particularly good smelling brew.. simple and malty.. but not even comparable to the garbage that everyone I know drinks.

Tastes malty.. with a Barely detactable hop presence. Still above average. Tastes better warm. (I have had it ice cold and just below room temp.. and it definitely shows more character when warmer)

Satisfying, well rounded mouth feel but a teensy bit watery

As far as drinkability.. let me put it his way.. A few friends and I were working on this keg for a few days and it still tastes good.

I have to give this brew the respect it deserves, even if its not the best thing out there, it is an Excellent college beer. An excellent beer for the true connoisseur? ...no. But it is damn good for what it is trying to be.

-Slante' my fellow BAs

05-02-2006 06:08:04 | More by Bigjay1584
MUSHROOMCLOUD

2.4/5  rDev -20.8%

A - 1 1/4" light beige head. Clear amber beer. The head hangs around for a little while before falling to a cap. Some lace.

S - Metallic. Honey. Grainy malt.

T - Very non-descript. Light. Tiny amount of malt. No hops anywhere to be found.

M - Super thin. No finish at all - swallow and it is gone.

D - Below average drinkability. Not enough flavor. A little left over sweetness and that is about it. For the same price, I am all over JW Dundee's American Amber.

05-01-2006 01:49:26 | More by MUSHROOMCLOUD
supercolter

Wisconsin

3.58/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance- red (imagine that) with a golden foam- foam didn't hang around too long and it was only one finger
Smell- not a real lot of smell to it, a slight hop smell and that was about it
Taste- pretty decent flavor, the hops were a bit more apparent here, but the malt kinda overtook, tasted slightly watered down though
Mouthfeel- light on the tougne, carbonated up a bit
Drinkability- easy to slam if you wanted to, with just enough flavor to sit and enjoy in a pinch

04-28-2006 17:29:21 | More by supercolter
JayQue

3.05/5  rDev +0.7%

This is one of those 'round to it reviews. I have had Killian's Irish Red many times, never thought that much about savoring it and writing a review. Pours a nice coppery/reddish color with little head and lacing. Didn't notice any distinctive aroma. Mild malt taste, thin mouthfeel. A step up from BMC but not all that much flavor. I would do pitchers of this at Hooters (especially if the other choices were Bud lite or Coors lite!!). I much prefer Yeungling or Sam Adams for mass consumption and SNPA if I just want to kick back and savor something good.

04-27-2006 01:42:54 | More by JayQue