George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev +13.2%

Low fermentation beer; soft amber color; similar to dos equis amber; high in malt content; taste bitter, harmonious, well ballanced; fragant and fruity smell, like a roses; try with german cuisine and cheese, serve in a pilsner glass, or direct from the bottle, good lacing; 85% recommended.

tesguino, Oct 21, 2005
3.38/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured a clear amber hue. A creamy, off-white head of one and a half fingers will hold nicely before droping to modest lacing. Decent crystal malt aroma, but weak. The toasted caramel flavor is thin, but appealing. Faint English hops in the aftertaste, but enough to balance the lightish malt flavor. Light body and active carbonation start off crisp, and turn slick near the finish. Very drinkable, but very dull.

PBRstreetgang, Oct 20, 2005
3.38/5  rDev +11.6%

a - amber red with good head and no lacings. loads of carbonation.

s - mix of hops and yeast.

t - mild hops and first with a crisp yeast finish

m - smooth light/medium bodied brew with a fine finish.

d - if this was the only thing at a bar i'd get it. otherwise i'm probablly not goign to get it again for a long time.

notes: having this on tap is so much better than having it out of the bottle!!

radshoesbro, Oct 17, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -3.3%

My first "red", was pointed to this as a not-terribly-outstanding, but decent example of an Irish Red. "Goes well with cookies" I think was the phrase used.

Poured a ruby amber, with a thin white head, that faded quicky to a ring. Carbonation very visible throughout.

No smell at all, maybe a hint of malt, but that's it. Disappointing.

Tastes pretty decent. A soft wash of malts, and a hint of hops. Warm, and almost a hint of harsh sweetness. The sugars you'd expect to find in beets, say. Mildly toasty. Not bad, and it would indeed go well with cookies. Could really use more character though, it's fairly bland.

Thin, carbonated, and almost watery. Not unpleasant, but nothing stands out.

Very easy to drink this, much like a light cider in terms of drinkability. A bit sweet to have too many of, but a decent cheap beer.

waldowin, Oct 14, 2005
3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

This pours a nice amber color with a decent head & lacing. The smell is simple and clean but has a caramelly sweetness. The taste is nothign complex. Fairly sweet and malty, could use more hop flavor. This is allright but could use a little life to it. High falls amber is cheaper and better.

kbnooshay, Oct 11, 2005
3.15/5  rDev +4%

Picked up a 6 pack tonight at Safeway. Been sorting through the more mainstream brews I haven't tried yet, and this came up. I'm glad I finally got around to it...

Pours a cherry brown. Thin bubbly head fades quickly. Looks sweet. Very tame in the nose - a subtle malty aroma with a floral scent hiding in the back.

Now to drink it: Kicks off with a little carbonation and a sweet brightness, then smoothens out. I taste strong notes of cherries and chocolate. Quite good. Carbonation shows it's presence, but isn't overbearing. Light-bodied, has some good character without being strong. Aftertaste is mildly sweet.

Very drinkable. Maybe too sweet/sugary to have an abundant amount, but enjoying a few of these is no problem.

grindcore666, Oct 07, 2005
3.78/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

For a macro this ain't too bad. I had this on-tap at an Allman Brothers consert last night. It poured out with a nice average sized head. It had a wonderfull appearance as well. A nice deep crimson color. The mouthfeel and drinkability on this beer is above average considering it is a macro. If I am presented with the choices I had to choose from last night in the future I will choose Killian's again. This beer is a pretty good choice. A Killian's every now and then is a good thing.

Enola, Oct 03, 2005

Poured a slight copper red with a touch of white head.

Smell was slightly of toasted malts.

Taste was limited to a slight toasted malt flavor and water.

Mouthfeel was light, thin, and watery.

Drinkability is pretty poor as is the rest of this beer, not much more than a typical American Adjunct Macro Lager with some food coloring.

bashiba, Oct 02, 2005
2.03/5  rDev -33%

Bleh. What a waste of perfectly good water. This thing was downright unpleasant. No hops. Malt is hidden under some strange off flavor. I drank half a glass and finally decided i couldn't bear to punish myself any longer. Poured the damn thing out, which i never do... Beer is sacred.

Not this one.

Bonhoeffer, Sep 23, 2005
3.03/5  rDev 0%

Average, average, average. However, coming from Coors, that makes it pretty above average for them.

As Euro dark lagers go, call this one "light." Not much in the way of malt going on here. The bitterness is all in the hop side of things, all in the finish.

You could do worse. You could also do better.

Average.

ColoradoBobs, Sep 20, 2005
2.7/5  rDev -10.9%

This used to be my go to beer. Now I can't stand it. It tastes like a dark beer that didn't finish school. It has a nice copper color but I feel like I'm going to get sick when I drink it. I don't know what it is but a real bad flavor slides down my throat when I take a sip. It's good for beginners, but otherwise don't touch it.

grbennett, Sep 19, 2005
3.15/5  rDev +4%

I picked this up more for nostalgic value than anything. This was a favorite before I moved up to craft beer. Although I was a little hesitant to revisit it, I was actually surprised at the results.

Pours a nice reddish-amber that is considerably more appetizing than most macros. This other half of this one-two punch is the head. No, it's not a foot tall, but within the style it's impressive. It actually laces the glass nicely on the way down.

Unfortunately, it sort of loses steam after that. The nose is amazingly bland and uninspiring. A somewhat bready maltiness fights a toasted flavor, and that's about all there is to it. Hops have gone AWOL. Mouthfeel is alright, typical macro thin.

The real strength of this brew is drinkability. It may not be especially good, but it's certainly not bad. It cleanses the palate pretty well, and it's about as heavy as tap water. I may consider this as an alternative to PBR when I go for wings.

A decent attempt by Coors to brew a little bit outside the box.

Holyterror, Sep 18, 2005
3.15/5  rDev +4%

Man, I remember in college when I thought this one was the best, hands down. It was before I got into craft brews, though, before I noticed there was a whole world of beers better than this. Average red, actually a bit disappointing compared to so many others in this style. Could be a session beer if nothing else was offered or on a great special, but never a top choice.

Backer2004, Sep 17, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -11.6%

So my choices were Fosters, Bud, Budlight or Killians. Normally I'd opt for a water, but I hadn't had a Killians in about 5 years and figured I'd give it a whirl for the heck of it. Pours a medium-red with a fizzy head that dissipates fairly quickly. Cooked grains readily apparent in the aroma. Taste... well, its basically Coors Original with red food coloring. Really no complexity to speak of. Somewhat bitter, but not from hops. Very bland, tastes like it was probably made with a strain of Coors' lager yeast. Unremarkable, I wouldn't waste your time. I have a hard time believing that this is brewed according to the same recipe as the Euro counterpart, though I've never had that. I also find it sad that many people think this is an import and some places (bad places) even list it as being from Ireland. Coors doesn't seem to want to correct that notion either :)

ChrisBowers, Sep 16, 2005
2.83/5  rDev -6.6%

12oz. bottle

Appearance: Poured an golden amber color with a small head of foam that left no lace. It is definitely not the color it says on the the label.
Smell: Not much of a smell on this one. The only thing I could smell was that of sweet malts and nothing else.
Taste: A small amount of malts with a slight hops aftertaste. Better than some. Tastes a little better on-tap.
Mothfeel: Another one that was light and watery with some carbonation.
Drinkability: A nice beer that's better than alot of macros that I've tried. If you get cheap, it will make an ok session beer.

AltBock, Sep 11, 2005
2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

Well, I’m in the bowling alley’s attached saloon, can’t be too picky about what’s on tap. They do have Killians, so WTF? Not a whole lot going on here, just a standard lager with brown tones to it. Cyrstal clear, but brown - did have a decent tan head and laced the glass a little bit.

Could actually smell and taste some caramel malts (but just not near enough), and overall it had some grains / earthy flavors that were somewhat bitter. Still too thin but it did have some tang to it.

Better than a macro pilsner, but what’s not?

Oh, I notice as I’m about to enter the review, it’s classed as a Euro dark lager - cripe, that’s not fair!

Vancer, Aug 19, 2005
2.53/5  rDev -16.5%

Irish Red my ass.

Darker golden body with a fizzy white head that leaves no real lacing to speak of.

Smell is slightly adjuncty with some very light malt and hop thrown in.

Taste is light malt and hop, reminds me of all the other darker adjunct lagers out there. Too thin and not very complex.

A fall back beer at best, and even then I'd go for Guinness first. Just not my style I guess but atleast it goes down pretty good.

KoG, Aug 18, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +36.3%

I have really come to enjoy this beer, even more so as time goes on. It has a deeper color and flavor compared with other macros, yet it's still drinkable. The price isn't bad either. With this beer, you get a mild, yet decent tasting version of the European varieties, but without that damned skunkiness you often get with those brews. It has a slightly sweet flavor, yet it's not overpowering. I can drink one and be happy, or I can drink many more without any ill effects. To me, it seems that Coors actually put some effort into making this beer stand out from other mass produced beers.

telecaster54, Aug 09, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +41.9%

1 finger of off white head, vanishes quickly. amber color. smells of caramel and malt, not much hop aroma at all. tastes sweet and malty little bit of bitterness. very smooth. mouthfeel is slightly thin. nothing too special, but it is one of those beers that i could drink a couple cases of.

ericsdawson, Jul 26, 2005
3.03/5  rDev 0%

Poured a very nice reddish amber with an attractive looking head. However the head almost sticks to the sides of glass as you continue to drink it. Wierd!
The Smell was rather bland I thought maybe slightly toasted grain and a Sugar cane type smell. Cant Quite put my finger on that one.
Tasted only slightly above average very medium bodied. It was smooth and tasted of toasted malts, grain, and something I cant put my finger on but in the range of a sugar cane type taste. Overall it was an enjoyable beer but not a memorable beer. My taste buds deserve better.

ryantupy, Jul 09, 2005
2.73/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Dark amberish orange with a very slightly off-white, medium-sized, foamy, fully-diminishing head. Very little lacing.

Smell: Sweet-smelling malts and corn with a very, very light floral aroma. Nothing too great here, but nothing off-putting.

Taste: Same thing here. Not much to speak of, but nothing foul either. There’s a slight hop bitterness initially which fades fast to show off a weak malty sweetness. Finish is short in duration, sweet and weak.

Mouthfeel: Thin body, watery texture, soft carbonation.

Drinkability: I remember loving this stuff when I first discovered beer, and then hating it once I started getting into GOOD beer. But I was pleasantly surprised when I had it recently. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Nothing I would ever seek out though, since there are far better ones out there with comparable price tags. Just… eh.

ski271, Jul 06, 2005
3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

12 oz. with no freshness date - served chilled in a pilsner glass. Pours a kinda amber/burnt sienna color with a good amount of streams of carbonation and a thin fizzy head that reduces to nothing. However, the head reforms and leaves nice lacing toward the end. Sugary sweet malts, molasses, and caramel in the nose. Nuts, molasses, caramel, and toasted malts with some floral hops and a subtle bitterness and maybe some adjunct flavors in the back with a tingly medium to light body. This is better than I remember it being, but still nothing great. A good fall-back if there's nothing else.

mmmbeer, Jun 30, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -14.2%

Drank at the local Applebees. Not a particularly good beer and not handled or delivered well by the establishment. My critiqe will be largely based on what I remember about this beer from a few months ago.

The beer looks nicely auburn and crimson with medium carbonation to liven it up. Subtle off white head that fades quickly. Smells a little toasty, caramelly, and biscuity. Tastes equals the aromas, but offers little in the way of boldness or strength. No real body or hop character. Weak body and watery mouthfeel. An easy drinking beer, but always expect more from this one.

BEERchitect, Jun 29, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -11.6%

Dark reddish amber color with a finger of off-white head and just a whisp staying around all the way to the bottom. Aroma is very faint, just a hint of malts. The taste was crisp and blandly malty with a offsetting metallic aftertaste. The beer was a little thin and overcarbonated. I used to drink this in college, boy do I wish I knew what I know now back then.

cubedbee, Jun 02, 2005
3.58/5  rDev +18.2%

It's said this is a dark lager..I'd call it a red lager. Anyway, had this in a pub with a big burger and can say I really might call this my favorite Coors product. Maybe my favorite macro beer period!

Nice copper color with a decent head.

Smooth flavor from start to finish although I can't really pinpoint any particulars.

Although not exotic by any means, I'll take this over any other macro brew I can think of. Just a really pleasant drinking beer.

BrewMaven, May 30, 2005