George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,722 | Reviews: 828
2.28/5  rDev -24.8%

Reviewing from notes.

Poured a transparent red/amber with a scant quarter inch head that faded quickly into a faint lace. Started off on a bad note already. The smell was also faint and very dilute. I caught some light malts and a touch of hops but not much else. Somewhat metallic as well and a bit of sulfur?! The taste was very much like the smell: faint and light with coppery tones. The hops barely clung to the malts and fell apart as I drank. I was pretty disappointed. The mouthfeel was ok... light and well carbonated. Hardly enough body for an Irish Red but I guess I shouldn't compare with Smithwick's... Decent drinkability as I chugged it down quickly to get a Guinness instead. Wouldn't get this again.

3.06/5  rDev +1%

Not a bad beer by any means, but nothing special and considerably toned down from when it was originally introduced 20+ years ago as an ale. Tastes crisp, goes down smooth, but that's about it. These days, it pretty much just tastes like red Coors, lacking the more ale-like qualities it had some years ago.

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz. brown bottle with a twist off cap poured into a mug

Killians Irish Red poured a clear red/amber color with almost a 2 finger head that clung to my mug as I consumed it. Aroma is clean, faint, of very light malts/grains. Taste and mouth feel is much like the smell, it is crisp, smooth and of light malts. Very low hop bitterness, and a little "tea like". Killians Irish Red finishes on the dry side making it light and increases the drink ability.

I haven't had this beer in years, so I decided to revisit it. My palate has become more discerning since then, so my impression of the Lager is different...I guess I am more particular. I also had forgotten that Coors Brewing brews Killians - Killians Irish Red is one of their better products.

3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

probably the most drinakable beer I had this afternoon. Wasn't overly great but was more drinkable. I had a nice thick biege head on it's reddish brown body. The smell was wheatish with some smells of sweet bread. The taste was bitter with a hint of cherry sneaking out in the finish. It had a sudsy feel as it washed over my tongue, with a medium body. It was more drinkable then most of the stuff I had today.

2.45/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark amber color with a fizzy head that tapers off. Not a whole lot of lacing ends up on the glass. Slightly malty, sweet and roasty but also rather watery, leaving a thin mouthfeel. It's alright, and it's certainly reasonably priced. I would put this in the same class as Michelob Amber Bock and Yuengling but I'd prefer those two over this one.

3.38/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

All I can really say about this beer is that it was one of the first beers I enjoyed that wasn't your typical mass produced commercialized product.
Yes I know its made by Coors, but it is a pretty decent lager for the price.
Its cheap, so I just drink it from the bottle.
You really can do allot worse than Killian's.
This beer helped me find other beers I enjoy far more and its good for what it is.

2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

Bottle: Poured a light amber color beer with an average size foamy head with average retention and no lacing. Aroma of light caramel malt is not the most complex but still somewhat enjoyable. Taste is also dominated by some medium sweet caramel malt with some limited complexity but also no adjunct as I had feared to be found. Body is about average with some OK carbonation. I guess I was surprised by this one considering the brewer but this is still not something I would seek again.

2.88/5  rDev -5%

Back in the day, this beer was one of those extra special beers...and I was in ohh high school...and it was about 1987. The beer world and certainly mine has changed and so has my opinion of Killians Irish Red. Besides a descent color and bit of extra malt flavor I would put it in the MGD category. Sorry George.

2.76/5  rDev -8.9%

A - Pours a medium to dark reddish-amber. Sports a creamy, half-finger head that dissipates a bit too quickly. Leaves some lacing, but not a lot.

S - Some malt, but you need to inhale deeply. It also smells somewhat sweet to me, perhaps a bit corny. Not a terrible smell, but not great either.

T - Moderate flavors of sweet caramel malt, bananas and a kiss of hops on the finish. Very sweet and a little too carbonated.

M - A little watery, but still somewhat creamy and noticeably better than most macros.

D - I could drink a bunch of these. They're not great, but they're also not overly filling or foul.

Overall, an acceptable brew considering it's a Coors product. It's easy to locate and reasonably-priced - a decent 'everyday' type of beer to drink with your friends at your next summer BBQ.

2.36/5  rDev -22.1%

I never had a red beer before, so I figured I would start out a the lower level of the spectrum and went with Killian's. It really didn't have a lot to offer.

Poured into a pint glass.

The color was an amber red with little head retention. The taste wasn't like I thought it would be and I am thinking that I should go for a red beer of higher quality. It tasted very grainy like an American macro lager. There were some malty notes as well.

Mouthfeel was very crisp and overcarbonated.

This beer isn't worth trying, I would rather have something of better quality.

2.68/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am not a big fan of Killian's. I like its appearance, nice color, and the smell is pleaseant but it looses it from there. It just tastes like many other mass-produced larger styles that sting the tongue. I will drink Killian's Irish Red if there isn't a better micro-brewed brand available, as for me it is not my first choice, or second...

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

For a megabrewery beer, this is pretty nice. Because it is carried by so many restaurants on tap as their only alternative to the big mega brands, it saves many otherwise bland meals.

Pours a very nice but short-lived head that accents truly lovely auburn-red color, and supplies a decent lacing as it is consumed. The nose is a softly sweet caramel, and the taste is sweet on the palate, but with not enough hop to finish briskly. Overall, quite drinkable.

2.82/5  rDev -6.9%

Reddish amber looks with a mild head and continuous fizz. A weak smell with slight hints of grain. An even weaker taste awaits; this is Coors light with red food dye. This brew is quite boring and lacks flavor. Slight grainy taste is followed by stale after effect that sleeps on your tongue. After downing half of a glass it takes Buddhist mind power to stomach any more sips. My advice is to leave this brew on the shelf; drinking a whole 6-pack of these is a daunting task that I can't imagine completing with a smile.

3.22/5  rDev +6.3%

This was the best thing they had on tap at Applebee's. Served ice cold in a frosted glass; I let it warm up a bit.

Killian's is a very nice looking beer: crystal clear red-amber with a small white head. Not much on the nose, though maybe a bit of malt.

The taste is pretty decent. Some malty sweetness up front just a hint of hop bitterness. There is some sweetness in the aftertaste, though it quickly fades. The mouthfeel is thin and fizzy, though that is to be expected.

Though there is no "wow" factor for this beer, it is pretty darn good considering the source.

2.9/5  rDev -4.3%

Nice date on the bottle, poured into glass....

Deep amber auburn opaque cloud, head fizzed up nice but disappeared quickly, very quickly, fast legs.

I think I got a whiff of alcohol.

Didn't really like the aftertaste but that could've been the super star with cheese still invading the spot.

Drinkable? Sure, but so is diet coke. Don't think I'll get any more after this sixer bites the dust.

3.15/5  rDev +4%

...and I used to think this was an import. Nope, it's made here in the USA by Coors. On to the beer:

Dark amber body, the head starting thick before dissolving into a thin shadow of itself. Aroma has some fruity esters and clay, nothig too exciting or off. As for the taste, it's light on the palate, but with no off-flavors. Big rush of carbonation upfront, it fades to show off a dash of fruity esters, toasty, and bready notes. Somewhat husky at points, but goes down easy.

Not offensive at all, but it lacks in richness. Emergency situations at bars would have me call for this beer again.

3.31/5  rDev +9.2%

Had this on tap from a drink stand at the Projekt Revolution tour in Charlotte, NC.

A - Dark, almost opaque reddish brown. Creamy, 2 fingered head has some decent retention and leaves behind a lot of lace.

S - Bland, as most stuff on tap tends to be. Some slight caramel notes and a suggestion of toasted malt.

T - Much different than the bottled version. Less sweetness, almost none of the vanilla notes and a significant reduction in caramel flavor. Toasted malt was most prevalent, with a hint of burnt bread.

M - Light to medium, fairly smooth with moderate carbonation.

D - Although it wasn't bad tasting, the abundance of toasted malt without the balancing sweetness wasn't something I wanted to keep experiencing.

2.4/5  rDev -20.8%

It's always nice to see the big breweries market "special" beers under other names. At first I thought this beer isn't too bad, of course that was seven years ago I was in college and my usual assortment consisted of Busch or maybe Budweiser if I had some more change lying around. Overall it is not a bad beer, it really lacks in the flavor department especially if it is served real cold. This one is not too high on my list but there are worse beers out there.

2.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: Beer had nice clear, deep, amber color. Held the head nicely. decent lacing in the glass.

Smell: Somewhat malty/graining aroma. Not real impressive.

Taste: Blended taste without the complexity that I may have expected. A slight burnt caramel flavor, but doesn't match up to the color of the beer.

Mouthfeel: Not very impressive at all. Wasn't expecting something that crisp and kind-of dry.

Drinkability: Along with the yummy color, the other thing I liked about this beer. Very smooth finish and suprisingly light body make it really drinkable.

2.88/5  rDev -5%

I hadn't had Killian's in years. After a recent softball game it was between this, Corona and Bud Light Lime. I choose the lesser of three evils. 10 years ago I actually used to enjoy this on tap at a Irish Pub that I frequented in Germany. These days it just doesn't seem to measure up. There is nothing outstanding about the beer, I'm not sure if it's me but I frequently get the taste of a rusted bottle cap when drinking this. I'm not sure if that's the taste their shooting for but it is what it is. Again, I choose this over Corona and Bud Light Lime... Which one would you have chosen if you were in my shoes? Enough Said!

2.59/5  rDev -14.5%

Had this at a BW3s due to their amazing lack of variety. Was browner than I was expecting. Head was good, lacing was minimal.

Smell was malty, no hop presence and not tonnes else

taste was okay, a little metallicy. Less clean than what I was expecting.

Was something that was not great going down and I would avoid it when possible. Better than a lot of BMC offerings but still below par.

3.12/5  rDev +3%

A. Poured from a keg into a clear plastic cup. Reddish brown in hue with an off white head and surprisingly, some lace.

S. Not too much to smell here, a bit of malt.

T. Malts, a slight sweetness. No hop profile.

M. Smooth and refreshing. Gets some love here.

D. Also very drinkable, a good go to beer in times of struggle.

3.66/5  rDev +20.8%

A - Clear, light reddish amber. Appealing.

S - Faint overall smell. Hint of caramel.

T - Smooth, lightly sweet and light malt flavor.
Very good flavor overall. Very pleasing.

M - Good, average viscosity.

D - This is a very good tasting relaxing beer.
Very pleasing. Goes good with many varieties of food.

3.78/5  rDev +24.8%

Very quaffable drink.

It has a really delightful after taste.

Can really taste all the different ingredients.

Full bodied, with a slightly sharp impact, and a clean finish.

The only thing I can think where this beverage can be made better is by not making it have much head in it.

3.58/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass

A-Pours a 3-finger head that dissipates moderately quickly leaving a thin ring of bubbles. Brownish-amber in color with great clarity.

S- can pick out the faintest bit of malt. Not much smell.

T- Alcohol and malts on the nose, followed by a very malty body,with just a touch of hops for balance. The finish was very crisp and left a lingering sweetness in the mouth.

M- Very flat and creamy. Definitely not watery like many macro lagers. Very Smooth.

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer and I kept finding myself wanting another sip. I could easily see drinking a few of these in an evening. I bummed one of these from my room mate, and I would consider buying if the price was significantly lower than any good micros or there were only macros to be had.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company