George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
Juggernaut

Missouri

3.15/5  rDev +4%

This beer pours a nice reddish amber with a thin beige colored head. Not much in the aroma department just a small hint of malty sweetness.

The taste is malty with a good hint of hoppyness, not overly exciting but more flavor than a traditional macro.

It has good mouthfeel and drinkability, would highly suggest for times when it is the best you can get.

09-29-2004 03:55:33 | More by Juggernaut
acrawf6

Louisiana

3.15/5  rDev +4%

This is one of my favorite beer made by any american macro. Not bad in a bottle but on tap it can actually be quite enjoyable. Pours out a nice rich red with decent head and a little bit of lacing. The body is a nice and full for this type of beer i think. The reason i like it in on tap is because it gives me an aftertaste of powder sugar, although none of my friends know what the hell i am talking about. Overall a good beer that is worth getting at a restaurant if nothing better is offered, because where i'm from, the price for this is the same as the macros.

09-22-2004 00:25:45 | More by acrawf6
beertaster13

Washington

3.4/5  rDev +12.2%

Not to shabby, pours a nice red amber syrup color with a slightly off white head that resides to a fizzle. The smell is of apple malts and slight syrup tones, slight hop tones mixed with grain. The taste is a nice fruit malt with molasses layers, a hint of hop nullifies the sweetness, subtle but smooth, not bad at all. Would drink again. Especially for 70 cents a bottle.

09-19-2004 06:02:47 | More by beertaster13
redmosquito

3.05/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at a restaurant. Reddish color with a tight head of tiny bubbles. Malty aroma, sweet and toasted. Flavor is up front bitterness followed by some caramel sweetness. This particular glass didn’t have the metallic taste I find Killians sometimes has. I can usually count on Killian's when I'm out and about.

09-14-2004 17:28:14 | More by redmosquito
MrNuggets

3.23/5  rDev +6.6%

Kegs of killians used to be the thing in highschool. Beer didn't get any better than that for us. Good thing it finally did get better.
This would be much better if it were put in cans and sold for $10 a case. It has flavor! Believe it or not its not offensive in the least. Good job coors! This falls short of being anything close to good. But its very drinkable.

09-01-2004 03:50:42 | More by MrNuggets
abcsofbeer

2.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours an orangey amber, clear with little carbonation. There was only a fingernail width of head and maybe, a smattering of lace towards the bottom of the glass. The aroma is faint with a hint of spice. The taste is very fruity at first. Not much on the hop area. Pretty bland and watery. Not one I'll try again.

08-26-2004 23:41:59 | More by abcsofbeer
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev +19.8%

This was a nice reddish brew with a good head, that had good retention and left lace rings around the glass.

The aroma was of hops, but slightly sweet and with apple notes.

The taste was slightly sweet, with some fruitiness, and a smooth malt finish. A nice drinking beer when most of the other offerings are pale macros, but not a great one overall.

08-19-2004 02:55:36 | More by connecticutpoet
ppoitras

3.18/5  rDev +5%

12oz bottle scrounged from my parents' fridge to enjoy while waiting to do some work at my parents' sheep farm.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" off-white head above a reddish-amber brew. Minimal aroma, but what is present is well-balanced. Taste was lightly malty, with a crispness from the hops. Mouthfeel and drinkability were both reasonably good, making it, in my mind, an okay "fall-back" brew when out at some of those unenlightened pubs and such.

08-14-2004 22:47:04 | More by ppoitras
twi1609372

3.88/5  rDev +28.1%

i ahve been drinking this beer ocasionally for a while now and it has to be one of my favorite.would compare it to sam adams in taste and characheter.quite a dark beer deep malt flavor, slightly hoppy but strong malt.pretty smooth also, but definetly a beer drinkers type of beer. koors was smart not to put their name on the bottle for fear it would detract from their sales and image, but it is a quality beer.

08-12-2004 20:10:51 | More by twi1609372
meathookjones

Comes out a bright red color with excellent clarity and a decent sized head that puts a bit of lace around the glass. Decent aroma with a slightly sweet caramel smell and a grainy character about it. The taste is similar as the grainy bready taste dominates the flavor with a bit of sweetness thrown in but overall a pretty watery taste. Mouthfeel is decent being about medium to light bodies and lacking a bit in carbonation. Overall a good beer to get if the usual macros are the alternatives, otherwise something I would avoid as it is nothing special.

08-12-2004 12:26:13 | More by meathookjones
kmpitz2

Tennessee

2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

I'm going to do this blind, not having taken a look at any other reviews of this beer. I think this is the way to go with a beer that you don't want to have others opinions overwhealm you. Well, the beer pours an amber red in color, as I would expect it to. Not bad. I went to see what head I could get out of it and with much effort, I got about 3 fingers that fell quickly to a finger with minimal lace on the glass. The nose is sweet. Not bad, but more average than anything. There is no hint of hop, which makes the beer suffer. There is a ery prominent grain flavor in the beer, more than I would want. There are no hops to speak of, so the beer again fails in what I would like. There is a decently thick mouthfeel on the beer, and there is also not as much carbonation as I would want as well. I just don't like the flavor of this beer. Its not a bad offering from the brewery, but still not my favorite out of a bottle. I have to say the drinkability suffers from the grainy flavors and the small bubbles in the carbonation. Before I developed my taste for a good beer, this was my fall-back. Now, I have trouble drinking it.

08-10-2004 03:35:30 | More by kmpitz2
mynie

Indiana

1.5/5  rDev -50.5%

Pours a pretty copper color with a small head and poor retention. Smells earthy, like dirt or smog with a really funky sour note in the back.

Tastes like a mixture of hops and dirt upfront, making way for the taste of dirty socks in the back. I thought my glass was dirty, but it was the same after I asked for a second pour.

Foul dogshit beer for people who know nothing about beer but want to look like they do. I've seen a six pack go for eight bucks!

08-05-2004 07:27:02 | More by mynie
jayb

Iowa

Had this one on tap at the wolverine bar & grill, where i work. Poured out a deep copper color, not a rich red or anything. Head resembled dish soap and was off white in color. moderate amounts of lacing that stuck around for the better half of the glass. smell was that of any regular macro brewed beer, sweet and grainy. taste was much the same as the smell, sweet, and mildly bitter, its brewed by coors so that explains the taste and smell. Not a bad macro, a little thin and dry as can be, but a decent offering i suppose.

07-29-2004 17:07:01 | More by jayb
PopeJonPaul

2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

I think the last time I had tried this beer was sometime before Kurt Cobain decided that lead might taste yummy. I used to file it in the "better than a poke in the eye" category but, since I was at a bar where the best beer on tap was the Sam Adams Summer Ale, and the Killians was $3.50/pint, well, I figured why not try it again....

Poured a thin blood red, don't know if they use coloring but they sure make it red. Kind of flat off the tap, not much smell either. Very sweet on the taste buds, something of a caramel and brown sugar taste, definitely malty flavor but kind of thin and watery with a whisper of hops in the end. Compared to regular Coors this is divine nectar, but compared to other beers I'd say it's too thin and simple to be much of anything, but not annoying either. If you are going to a party where they also serve boxed wine you could show up with this and make quite an impression.

07-27-2004 02:21:03 | More by PopeJonPaul
Rio

Kansas

3.38/5  rDev +11.6%

On tap in large mug, reviewed from notes

Bright red in color, nice head of foam that stayed through most of the mug. Smell is a bit grainy sweet, not too strong or overpowering, though. Malty taste to it, with a bit of hoppiness perhaps, and a slight taste of caramel. Mouthfeel is nothing that stands out too much, not really thick or thin, but a good bit of carbonation to it.

This was the first beer that I really liked way back when all of two years ago when I turned 21 (and a little before that, as well ;) ). The choices on tap were very limited at the bar, so this is, and always will be for me, a good standby when there's little but macroswill to drink.

07-14-2004 03:49:54 | More by Rio
niknar

Tennessee

2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours out a reddish-auburn-brown (as the name might suggest) with a very thin almond-colored head. Within a few minutes, the head was reduced to just a thin collar. Taste is malty with some faint hoppiness, but strong in carbonation. Probably too strong in carbonation, as it seems to be all I can think about now... It almost tastes like well brewed tonic water. Not to say that the flavor is watery, because there are definitely some good qualities about it. It finishes with some bitterness and the remains of too much carbonation. Mouthfeel is too thin (carbonation) for my tastes. I remember loving this beer during my college years. I see now that my tastes have matured significantly. It is, however, much better than the other offerings from the Coors Brewing Company. I would recommend this as a gateway beer to the rest of beerdom... but not something I will be asking for at a bar or restaurant.

06-19-2004 22:35:51 | More by niknar
ElGordo

2.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours not red but a deep orangish amber with a nice-looking two-finger head. Strange aroma - sweet malt (almost sickly sweet), with hints of astringency and corn syrup. Not much in the way of taste - a little sweet malt, with more corn syrup and a touch of light citrus in the thin body. Well, at least you can drink a lot of it if it's your thing.

05-14-2004 02:21:53 | More by ElGordo
henrysunset

Washington

2.23/5  rDev -26.4%

it's definitely red. about as dark as a cab sauvignon, but with a deeper reddish-brown.

smells a bit bitter, without much other scent. Tastes a bit thin.

it is about as bubbly as a soda, but the flavor is like a deeper lager taste. not too bitter, not terribly heavy, altogether much better than the worst beers, but not all that exciting either

05-09-2004 05:28:18 | More by henrysunset
Stingray5

3.73/5  rDev +23.1%

Been quite some time since I've had this beer, and this is the first time on tap. I had this and a SA Bos Lager at the establishment, and both were exceptionally fresh. Mild malty aroma led to a smooth caramel malt taste, good, balanced sweetness. Bit of hop balance in the finish, dry.

I thought the beer snob in me would frown upon this offering after such a long time, but that just wasn't the case. Refreshing, tasty. I'd order it again.

05-02-2004 00:52:53 | More by Stingray5
jlh8643

Indiana

2.28/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours a clear ruby copper color with an off-white/tan head. Not much going on in the way of aroma but I did detect a little bit of crystal/caramel malt in the nose. The body is very light with very little bitterness or hops. Very easy to drink considering that its not too far from being straight water.

04-29-2004 22:43:19 | More by jlh8643
mrpicklerelish

Arizona

2.93/5  rDev -3.3%

Apperance - Poured a nice amber color with not much head present on the few that I have had.

Smell - Has a small hint of sweetness to it. Not much of an aroma to it that really sticks out.

Taste - Easy on the mouth with no really strong taste to it. The taste that is there is sweet with a very small hint of malt towards the end.

Mouthfeel - Very easy to drink mainly because of the lack of strong flavors.

Drinkability - Like I said before, east to drink but mainly because the lack of flavor. Easy going down but there isn't much there to enjoy.

Comments - Probably one of Coors better product in my opinion. Very easy to drink but a little light on flavor for my taste. Overall a good choice if you are lacking in choices of other available beer.

04-29-2004 14:22:03 | More by mrpicklerelish
cptnjck101

3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

This is one Hell of a beer. Although when drinking alot of them out of bottles, it starts to develop an odd after-taste. Great flavor and gets you really wasted. It's also a great bang for the buck, priced lower than other Ambers. Tastes great with seafood and goes down very smooth. A highly recommended brew.

04-26-2004 16:00:59 | More by cptnjck101
Bierguy5

2.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a reddish, dark golden color with an off whit foamy head. The head disappeared quickly, and there was no loce left. Smells slightly roasty. Taste is slightly roasted and caramel, however I found it to be cloying. Moutfeel is thin. The cloying of the malt makes this not very drinkable. I wouldn't want much more of this beer.

04-24-2004 04:41:59 | More by Bierguy5
jimdkc

Missouri

3.15/5  rDev +4%

Poured a reddish amber color, small white head that dissipated pretty quickly leaving a thin foam ring. Sweet malty aroma. Taste is also sweet and malty with some fruity notes. Just a little bit of hop bitterness. Slightly sour aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thin and fizzy. Despite it's shortcomings, I found this to be pretty enjoyable and drinkable. Very smooth going down. If I were someplace that only served macros, this wouldn't be a bad choice!

04-19-2004 02:16:00 | More by jimdkc
Tballz420

2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

This brew is a red/brown clear colored brew, with a small fleeting white head. The scent is slightly malty, not very impressive. The taste is a weak malty taste with some hop bitterness in the finish. Thin mouthfeel. This isnt a bad brew but i would recommend many red lagers before this one.

03-22-2004 23:37:46 | More by Tballz420