George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
2.93/5  rDev -3.3%

If I had a choice, I'd take this over all of the other offerings from Coors. Two Extra Gold and I've got a skull splitter going on. Three regular Coors, the same. I don't even consider the Silver Bullet a beer, so I don't drink it. The first Killian's experience that I had lasted about six beers and, no headache. I don't know if it's mental but., at the time, I didn't realize that Coors made this. It doesn't taste anything like anything else from this brewery.
It's kind of sweet with a slight hint of malt. The reddish/copper color is appealing and the head stayed the duration. Not much going on in the aroma department. Maybe if it was served in a chalice? Mouthfeel is OK, consistent with most lagers that I have had. Just enough carbonation. However, I get left with an aftertaste that I can do without, espescially after about three or four. I also have to drink this extra cold. Anything above 35 degrees and that aftertaste I mentioned starts to be the domiant taste. It let's you know that this is no Euro lager. To me it's the best that Coors has to offer, but it's nothing to write home about.

cro250klr, Apr 09, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +24.8%

this beer is a rather nice beer to drink, you can find it anywhere and its better than yer average beer. A nice caramel sweetness but just a hint. normal medium lager overall. smells like it tastes and it has a good feel for your entire tongue. had an average head.

squish059, Mar 27, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +15.5%

The appearance was amber/copper with a normal head. The smell was about average of a medium lager and smelled of the malted grain. The taste is a little bit sweet and not too hoppy. Other than that, this beer was average except having the advantage of having more body to its taste than your average macro lager. Mouthfeel was again better than an average lager, but mainly due to its heavier content. I felt the drinkability was good and I do enjoy these as an alternative other beers when I'm in the mood for something with a bit more taste.

jdmorgan, Mar 26, 2006
2.9/5  rDev -4.3%

pours dark amber...medium head.
was expecting more in the aroma department...not much..a little malty
taste and mouth feel were ok. Malty with a slight caramel to it, so it had a thicker mouthfeel and taste than say you average macro larger...but still nothing real special
drinkablility was average....nothing offending about it, but nothing really outstanding.
Was hoping this one would stand out a little..but alas..like most macros it just sits there. If they don't have anything extra special on tap or bottle..this would beat some of the others..flavor is better than say your average pilsner..but they could do better. (coors did a little better with the blue moon series of beers).

harpo111, Mar 25, 2006
3.28/5  rDev +8.3%

Killian's Irish Red
12 oz brown bottle
Jet ink label on the bottle that reads Jun23 007
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours an amber brown with light red highlights. Mini thin white laced head on top.

Whiffs of grains, malts and sweetness.

Smooth and clean lager taste. Highlights of caramel malt, sugary sweetness and toasted grain flavors with a baby hop snap on the finish. The mouthfeel is a tad thin and watered down, which really takes away from the overall experience of the beer.

When I was in high school, this was one of the first beers that I tried that was an alternative to common BMC products. At the time I thought this was the real deal, but it simply doesn't leave the same impression with me these days. An average Irish style lager by all accounts and a good choice when options are limited.

Hibernator, Mar 24, 2006

Pours a nice dark amber color. Little head, but it does lace nicely to the sides of my glass.

The smell was very light, but I could detect some toasted malt grain.

The taste was very malty and a bit sweet, and finishes with a dried malt character. Very little in way of hops.

It is smooth and very drinkable, but nothing overtly special about it. Very average, as my score reflects. Nothing offended, nothing complemented.

Freshie, Mar 23, 2006
3.15/5  rDev +4%

As it is St. Patricks Day, I decided to go with an Irish style beer, had a "Smithwicks"..prior to this..
poured a clear amber, no real head to speak of, moderate carbonation.
smell was really non-existent.
taste was rather fruity, a little hint of iced tea...
mouthfeel is of a typical macro-lager, light and watery.
drinkability is decent, might make a good session brew...not bad...

steinlifter, Mar 20, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +15.5%

Used to drink this thinking it was a "really good beer". This is my first one in about a year though.

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a bottle.

This beer pours an amber color with a frothy white head that quickly dissipates without lacing but leaves a little film. The beer smells of caramel and roasted barley. The taste is quite sweet up front with some other malts in it. It is rather weak overall though. It could be thicker but I wouldn't call it watery. Overall a drinkable beer especially when nothing else is available.

MSchae1017, Mar 14, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

12oz bottle w/ "O'fficial beer of...." I thought the way they spelled "official" was cool. Anyway.

A- Reddish/amber in color, big white head, little retention. Little lace. Had a freshness date on bottle. Looks very good.

S- sweet watery smell. Like a carmel sweet smell though.

T- Rather bland. Doesnt taste watery, but flat. Hints of cherry, carmel. Clean and sweet though.

M- Very thin feeling, but yet high carbonation levels are obvious.

D- Very smooth, not hard to drink, through i wouldnt really search it out. Dont get me wrongthough, i would absolutley take this over a macro.

tonistruth, Mar 14, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a 12 pack for my brother's birthday on St. Pats I am impressed with the creamy two fingered head that tops the auburn brew and slowly fell provide sustained lace on the etched Seidel / Stein attached to the package. Dot matrix APR09 030 06 K probable best by date on shoulder of bottle reverse the label side. Pleasent caramel aroma greets the olfactory neurons and move up to the CNS to olfactory bulb where information from these receptors is organized into patterns that bring back memories of many past associations with this brew.

This will pair with the brocks and beans we will grill after helping paint the main street of Rolla (Pine) green and welcoming in the spring with St. Pat and his court atop a green manure spreader.

The round mouthfeel and caramelized malts along with some rye flavors make a satisfling if not exceptional experience. At 4.9% your not going to need much of a shillelagh to keep the snakes away.

Happy St. Pat's to all my Irish friends and the rest of us "wanna be's"

Wonder is George Killian would recognize his brew?

karst, Mar 13, 2006
2.78/5  rDev -8.3%

Ok...interesting.
Poured med. reddish amber with light head that disappeared quickly.
Aroma was very light...slightly sweet malts...no noticable hops...Macro beer 'tang'.
Taste was refreshing...again no hops, but bright and mild sweet malts...tiny carbonation that did little for the tongue....light alcohol....very little aftertaste.
Macro roots much more noticable than any Irish roots....reminds me of aluminum cans and bad yeast.
I could drink several of these...they are light both in flavor and alcohol. Just not sure I would want to. Given a choice between this and conventional Macros, I would probably pick this.

IntriqKen, Mar 12, 2006
2.38/5  rDev -21.5%

Clear copper penny colored pour with moderate tan head that is very creamy and dense, but only lasts a few minute. Thin streamers of lace are left on the glass.

Aroma is almost non-exsistant except for some mild caramel malt and soft floral green grass notes. Realy very difficult to pick anything else up.

Flavor is lightly sweet, roasty grain, corn?, toast, and some very mild floral hops in the finish. Certainly better tasting than your average macro, but only a little!

Body is between light and medium with coarse feeling carbonation and a thin mouthfeel with little texture. Fairly easy to drink and really not offensive in any way.

AlexJ, Mar 11, 2006
3.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured into a pint glass.
Apearance: dark red witha decent 3/4 inch head. Good lacing.
Smell: slightly sour, sweet.
Taste: bitter, corn? smooth.
Mouthfeel: medium thick.
Drinkability: pretty good I could drink these fine. not as great as i used to believe it. I still hold it higher for something from a Macro-brewery.

CaskofFlyingDog, Mar 06, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured a perfectly clear, deep reddish color with moderate head, that quickly falls to a thin ring. Nice lacing on the side of the glass. Smell is sweeting with some roasted malt present. Taste presents itself with a light caramel note. Taste rapidly disappears leaving little behind. An Ok beer, with easy drinkability.

tgbljb, Feb 15, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle marked Apr 02 048 41 H

A---pours amber red with about 1/8 inch off white head that quickly disappears, no lacing at all

S—mild sweetness; faint hops…not really smelling anything else

T—mild hops flavor that I think is pretty common with the macro breweries. Slight caramel taste that finishes a little dry.

M—thin and watery, good carbonation

D—not bad…better than average. Can easily drink a lot of this. Nothing offensive here. I drank this a lot in college (along with Miller Lite which I just reviewed) and wanted to review it because of that. Not anything offensive, but my taste in beer has changed quite a bit since college. The taste brings back good memories…

hanco005, Feb 05, 2006
3.25/5  rDev +7.3%

For a macro beer and especially a beer from Coors Brewing Company, this is a decent option. It pours a nice coppery amber color with a decent head and significant lacing. It is mostly transparent. The smell is very subtle and hidden, however when you find it; there is a satisfactory aroma of sweet malts, brown sugar, and caramel. The taste is very thin and straightforward. The taste is mostly water, with a hint of sweet malts and even smaller suggestion of gentle hops. The mouthfeel is a bit thin but it's very smooth with a clean, crisp finish. This is definitely the best of Coors. It is very drinkable and sessionable. It is a suitable Bar Beer or Party Beer even though it is not the most intriguing selection you'll taste.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Feb 04, 2006
3.08/5  rDev +1.7%

When poured into a glass, it is a orangeish red with a noticeable foamy head. The scent is of malt....and MALT lol but in my opinion it is a smooth Lager that goes down rather nice and easy.The Mouthfeel is verry light. Overall for the price, this is a beer I can enjoy again and again and not feel cheated or guilty for drinking it.

Tallboy, Jan 30, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +27.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle to a pint glass, creates a 1 inch thick head which unfortunately doesn't last much longer than the first two drinks. The color is the most attractive thing about this beer. Even as a kid I remembered how good looking it was, even then I wanted one. One of my biggest complaints is that there is not much of an aroma. It is hard to find the hops over the caramel malt taste. THis creates a sweetness at first, but it is quickly washed out with a slight bitterness that leaves for a pleasant bitter aftertaste. A good amount of carbonation makes for a crisp taste with a slightly thin mouthfeel, just thick enough to give it a good body which is perfect for this type of beer. Clean finish as well, everytime.

By far, this is miles ahead of all of the other macro-beers. I really do love this beer. The taste is unique and crisp, and if the aroma were more pleasant/ detectable, I wouldn't need to drink anything else. It's cheap with plenty of great qualities to make it an overall great beer.

thebarnesbomb, Jan 29, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +28.7%

This beer came a crystal clear and glowing dark reddish amber with a thin wisp of head that formed a tiny ring around the rim of my glass. Smelled faintly of roasted malts and caramel with a slight hint of hops. The aroma was nice, but it was really hard to find. The quality is fine, but it loses a few points for lacking in quantity. The taste is really nice with an awesome over-roasted caramel malt that sends smoky caramel up into my nose on the swallow. The malt also contains elements of oak and mushrooms. This sweet malt is balanced with a light citrus sour and an understated hop dryness. This is a great blend of flavors. The mouth feel is light to medium bodied with a nice prominent, but unobtrusive carbonation. I found this to be a great brew considering that it’s mass produced and so widely available. There’s nothing really amazing going on here, but there’s certainly nothing wrong with it. Nice beer.

DarkerTheBetter, Jan 27, 2006
3.68/5  rDev +21.5%

Poured into pint glass.

Light red, amber color. Foaming head if poured right, but it didn't last. Smell of some malt, hops, cherry and a bit of chocolate.
Taste was not much different than a Coors, yet a bit better. More malt, less corn and straw. A good feel and drinkability. Can have it for St. Patty's Day if I'm broke. Perhaps Coors' second best beer (Winterfest)

Mebuzzard, Jan 26, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark amber color, some carbonation, small head. and some lacing throughout. The scent is sweet malty. The taste is on the sweet side with a not bad aftertaste. Medium body. Drinkable. I remember having this brew way back when I lived in CA. First red beer I ever had.

Wasatch, Jan 24, 2006
1.88/5  rDev -38%

Had this on tap today, nice amber color, but that's probably the best thing you can say about this beer. The taste is inoffensive, but not really interesting either. Perhaps a step above bud/miller/coors, but not much. If I were looking for a macro and this was on sale I might buy it, but not worth seeking out.

Drew966, Jan 21, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -29.7%

Purchased from Target on University, Huntsville, AL.

Dark amber body with thick foamy off-white head. Pretty nice presentation, considering it's essentially a Coors product. Nice head retention, decent lacing.

Aroma is made up primarily of hops, with a touch of amber fruit underneath. Reminds me more of a weak amber than a Euro Dark Lager.

Slight fruit flavor up-front, but finishes with a strongly macro-like taste that reminds me of "low-carb" beer offerings like Mich Ultra. Unpleasant aftertaste.

Thin mouthfeel, but to be expected for the style.

Not drinkable at all. Not enjoyable. Not even alcoholic enough to choke down. There are much better beers out there.

danielharper, Jan 20, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -14.2%

Served in a standard pint, deep rust red body with thick fluffy head. Lots of lace.

Scent is virtually non exhistant.

Flavor is not what I remembered. Maybe I've just experienced so many full flavored beers since the last time I had this one, but I just remembered this being at least moderatly drinkable. Don't get me wrong, for an American macro it's one of the best that's widely available, I'll take it over Bud or standard Coors any day. If I'm out, and I want a beer and this is the best they have I won't complain. I guess that sums up the review.

HugoGrim, Jan 17, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

See: My review of New Castle Brown Ale

Killians is one of the great crossover beers. If you are drinking this then there may be hope for you.

There was a time where I thought this beer was exotic. Now having tried some great beer, I was curious how well this beer would hold up. One word: disappointing. Bland and tasteless.

But take heart. The fact that you are trying something different is a good sign. Please take that impulse and go experement with a better beer.

Start with Blue Moon.