George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
2.9/5  rDev -4.3%

I got this at the local country club at an awards dinner when I asked for an import.

Poured a light auburn color with a decent head, about 3/4 inch. Minimal lacing.

The smell was wheaty and creamy, I guess like cream of wheat, but I don't really remember what that smells like.

The taste was the same, but muted. No real strong flavors.

The mouthfeel was thin with ok carbonation.

This is highly drinkable, in that it's not offensive, but not remarkable either. It was, however, the best offering at the bar tonight.

masterbruewer, Jan 30, 2004
2.45/5  rDev -19.1%

As much as I hate to admit it, I too used to think that this was an import from Ireland. That was several years ago (before BA) when I was young and naive in the ways of beer. The impression lasted only as long as it took me to actually drink some of the beer; after which it occured to me that I was most likely drinking an American macro. One look at the label confirmed it. I'm ready, however, to give it another chance, another go-round now that my beer knowledge and experience have grown.

Reddish orange-amber and perfectly clear. An aggressive pour results in a medium-sized beige head that drops rather quickly to a thin film or less. Almost no lace. The nose is an improvement on the better known macros since it isn't offensive.

The most I can say for the flavor is that it isn't off-putting. Even though it struggles to be average, the beer is somewhat drinkable. There's some sweet malt initially, then a modest bitterness... then the whole thing ends rather abruptly.

The mouthfeel is thin and borderline watery. This is clearly not well-brewed craft beer, but Coors has done a passable job with it compared to their more popular lagers. I could drink Killian's 'Irish' Red again if I had to. But I don't, so I won't.

BuckeyeNation, Jan 27, 2004
3.45/5  rDev +13.9%

Killians has a great appearance. It is reddish and gives a nice, short-lived head. There is not much when it comes to smell to this one. You can sense a little bit of caramel maybe, which you can definitely taste. It is a very refreshing beer and one of the best "common" beers that you can find. It is very alive in your mouth and goes down smooth. Definitely worth getting in your local bar.

wsouloa, Jan 23, 2004
2.8/5  rDev -7.6%

As far a macros go, this isn't too bad. Poured a redish orange colour with a small head. The smell was very weak with some malt and caramel. The taste was of mild malts and a little caramel. It wasn't too bad except there was no hops to be tasted. Went down smooth enough. I would drink this if there was nothing else to drink.

CBFanWish, Jan 13, 2004
3.43/5  rDev +13.2%

Nice auburn colored beer...clear...small white lace....pleasant but soft malt nose...taste is a nice sweet, yet mellow maltiness...some caramel notes...medium bodied...firm....but a very slight watery mouthfeel...

Overall I hate this beer because every bar that thinks they are catering to the "microbrew" crowd has this on tap...It's on draft all over town...I wish they would put some better things up...With that said, this is actually pretty good and better than the other crap most other places have on tap...really a decent beer..better than I expected when I sat down to rate it...enjoyable to drink and a good cross over beer for the macro folks,..

ZAP, Jan 13, 2004
3.55/5  rDev +17.2%

Good brew from Coors. Like the red/amber color and is a beer you can enjoy. I have had this a few times when nothing else was available and it was pretty good.

Taste of carmel and not a bad aftertaste at all. I do have to say that this is not an import even though Coors like to advertise it as such. I do not like to pay import prices for a non-import brew. So I usually don't purchase this too much. Many other beers of this type out there that you can try. But an ok start if you want to open the beer buds.

JAL67, Jan 10, 2004
3.45/5  rDev +13.9%

nice color, very tranparent. ok light tan head that doesn't stick around too long or cling to the glass. smell is boring and weak. mostly sweet smell. taste is sweet malt and mild. kind of bland but does the trick in a pinch. i'll recomend this beer to those who usually drink macro. drinkability is ok. would be better if not so sweet.

flaminghomer, Jan 05, 2004
2.48/5  rDev -18.2%

Looks good. Nice reddish copper body with a creamy sizable head. Not much retention, but leaves a little lacing. Smell is very bland. Faint musty hops and a bit of sulfur with a backdrop of sweet caramel malt. Taste starts rather nice, with a seemingly good body of the aforementioned malt, but quickly disappears into a wateriness with a slight corny taste. Bland and simple. A great level of carbonation makes it feel alive but not harsh. Overall a decent brew that is just a little lacking in body and complexity.

waughbrew, Jan 05, 2004
2.85/5  rDev -5.9%

A forced-looking caramel/orange color, with a thin, lacking head.

Smells mildly malty; taste is more caramel in flavor than I expected. There is an odd finish to this beer, a sort of cheap lemon iced-tea note. Just a hint of bittering. Carbonation is a bit strong; strangely weird but not offensive flavor, this is surprisingly easy to drink.

Not something I'd buy, but as it came to me as a leftover from a house party, I won't turn up my nose at the rest of the pack. Slightly more interesting than a normal fizzy yellow beer.

shirfan, Dec 05, 2003
3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Reddish brown color, off white head. This beer is pretty common on tap around here. They try to pass it off as an "import style" (just look at their website). It tastes pretty bland for a red, but this beer is good, when your only other options are AB and Miller swill.

TastyTaste, Dec 03, 2003
2.42/5  rDev -20.1%

12 oz bottle

Appearance/Head: Television ads seem to advertise this beer's appearance and I have to admit it is a good looking beer. Rich, Scotch whiskey color. Very clear with a solid white head.

Aroma: Mild malt sweetness with a very little smoky note.

Taste: Subtle malt with a clean finish. All I notice in the finish is a little champagne-like carbonation.

Bottom line: I had a best friend who always drank cheap macros, but one day I saw him purchase a six pack of Killian's. Within two months, he was enjoying Summit Extra Pale Ale, Oregan IPA, and Samuel Adam's Cream Stout. So I can't argue with this beer's role as a solid transition choice. What I can argue with is this beer's role as a solid example of the style. Far too watered down.

skar, Nov 07, 2003
2.68/5  rDev -11.6%

By the time I got to my in-laws after flying nearly all day, it was too late for any beer shopping. I was pointed to the beer fridge with the encouraging “help yourself.” Killians was the best I could do. Poured from a 12oz. bottle, Killian’s had a clear amber color and a minuscule white head and no lace. The smell was faintly of malt and caramel with not much else. Taste was mildly malty with a vague caramel flavor. The finish came on abruptly and lacked any hops flavor. The feel was light and thin.
What a way to end the day - a lifeless brew that simply spurred my anticipation for the coming day’s shopping spree.

Boilermaker88, Nov 06, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +34.7%

Ok, Killian's is my old goto beer. I've drank a /lot/ of this just because it's good all around. In fact, this beer is what drew me into the love of beer in general. So I had to review it. Nice red color when poured, but it's great straight from the bottle. It compliments just about any meal very well. It has a smooth, unassuming flavor, easy carbonation and just enough sweetness to make it a nice drink. I can put these down by the bottle or six pack, depending on what's needed at the time. Definately a good all-purpose beer.

bighops, Nov 01, 2003
2.23/5  rDev -26.4%

It is red. And I'm sure it belonged to Killian (whoever he was) at some point. But I can't see what this has to do with Ireland.

The body is a deep red and looks natural. All in all, an attractive pour.

The smell is relatively neutral, a little sweet.

Though it has a surprisingly medium-full body, all I taste is dirty, dirty grain. The initial taste is sweet and enhanced by the darkness of the brew (makes me assume there's some brown sugar a la Bass). The pleasure quickly fades to an abrupt gag reflex as though having tasted a robust Bordeaux laced with rat poison.

Although the malty mouthfeel caught me offguard and was impressive, it really works against this brew. Its graininess proposes a crisp finish that the body never allows you to engage in. Instead, this swill coats the inside of your mouth and provides no refreshment whatsoever. I mark down in taste, however, and not mouthfeel because I think that the beer would be outstanding with a better basic recipe and less adjuncts; thinning it out would make it along the lines of High Life.

What you'd expect from Coors.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Oct 19, 2003
3.4/5  rDev +12.2%

Killian's Irish Red as of 9/16/03 is my new favorite beer of all time. It has a great taste, especially for a light beer. A very nice rich copper color too, kind of unordinary, but i like it. I really like just about anything produced by the Coors Brewing company, but Killians Irish Red is definitely the best thing other than Coors Light to come out of there.

Rootdog316, Sep 17, 2003
3.28/5  rDev +8.3%

Brownish copper in color. Minimal off-white head presented with this serving.
Aroma on the faint side, but a sweet, caramel malt aroma is there. Alcohol often present in the aroma when served too cold as restaurants tend to do.

Taste is on the light side, would like to see a little bolder flavor profile. Sweet, biscuity, caramel malt profile. Clean. Earthy hops are there for balance, but fall a little short leaving the malt sweetness a bit cloying. Due to it's light flavor profile, taste of this beer can be lost if served too cold.

Mouthfeel comes off pretty good considering the lightness of this beer.
Above average drinkability.

Overall, this is a decent red lager. This is my clear choice in an establishment with nothing other than the usual macros.

PhantomVodoo, Sep 14, 2003
3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

This was one of the first beers I tried other than Coors, Bud and Mickeys back in the day and I must say it has not aged as well as I thought it would. It poured a nice reddish orange color with a suprisingly nice head that left lace down to the last drop. The taste had slight hop and malt flavors but was killed by a sickening sweetness that nearly ruined it for me. Not one that I will ever pay for again.

Dmann, Sep 12, 2003
1.68/5  rDev -44.6%

Topped by a tan head, that sticks around for only a short bit. Has a nice clear amber/ red color to it. Has a lightly malty sweet aroma to it with something else that is a bit off in there as well. Egads this one has a bit of an off putting finish as well, luckily it is not very strong of a taste. It finishes a bit vegetal. Other than that it is a bit caramely sweet, and does not have much in the way of hops at all. A bit of sharpness from the carbonation affects the back of my mouth as well. Overall there is something not quite right with this beer but I can't quite place what it is.

Gueuzedude, Sep 08, 2003
2.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Bottle purchased at Domini's, a deli in Spokane. While this Killian's represents the best of their beer selection, this place is a must-hit if you like deli sandwiches. The sandwiches here are enormous. Order a small if your jaw doesn't resemble that of a pit bull.

This was the first beer I ever had that was not a typical macro pilsener. It made me realize not all beers had to taste like MGD, Bud, or Coors Lite (all I'd ever had to that point). I haven't had one in years...until now.
This turned out to be one of those things that was remembered fondly but turned out to be something less when examined in the cold light of day. It poured brownish amber color that was not unlike iced tea. It had a mildly malty odor with a faint scent of caramel in the background. The taste was very similar - very mild malts with a caramel background. There was a slight hop bitterness in the background, but like the malts, very unobtrusive. The mouthfeel was quite thin and watery. Instead of a macro that tastes like water, this is a macro that tastes like it was a good beer that someone thinned by adding water to it.

woemad, Sep 03, 2003
2.55/5  rDev -15.8%

Redish brown color, medium white foamy head. Aroma is grainy and slightly sweetish. Light malts, slightly sweet. Light body, mild taste good flavor. Mouthfeel is slightly thin. Finish is crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. It's the best beer that Coors make that I have tasted.

beerguy101, Aug 17, 2003
3.15/5  rDev +4%

Well it certainly is red, I'll give it that. Not much in the way of head though, it seems to blow off fairly fast. Decent malty nose. When actually sampled, however, it's perhaps just a tad watery, and a bit more sugary than I had expected. Even so, I'll label this a completely drinkable beer. And from Coors no less! It could be better, but I still usually don't expect this level of quality from a macro.

SetarconeX, Aug 05, 2003
2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle.This beer poured a small tan head that contained fine-small bubbles that quickly diminished.The body was carbonated and the hue was reddish-orange.The nose was lightly malty and the flavor was lightly malty as well.The mouthfeel was smooth and somewhat on the thin side.

hotstuff, Aug 04, 2003
2.38/5  rDev -21.5%

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle with no "bottled on" or "best by" date; swapped this from a housemate for a Full Sail amber; horse head on the label, but -- surprisingly -- not the ingredient's list; considering the taste, must be an oversight.

Appearance: Pours a crystal-clear amber with a rocky, one-fingered head; adequate retention; light-to-moderate ring lacing.

Aroma: Sweet, caramel malt and light, citrus hops.

Taste: Faintly sweet upfront with a mild, earthy hop-finish; sallow, grain notes throughout; hints of roastiness; reeks of a flavor I think of as "macro-skunk". Thin, watery mouthfeel.

Notes: Weak. Pale imitation of a red.

Mustard, Aug 01, 2003
3.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Well it had been awhile since the last time I had this but it was this or nothing in my book with what else was beeing offered at lunch today. On-Tap - Color is a decent looking darker amber, thin off-white head that faded some to bit of a haze and a thin ring with minimal spotty lace. Smell is barely noticeable with a sweetish twinge of malt ever so lightly present. Taste is more of the same, very stingey and sort of pale sweet malts, no help from hops in there, kinda bland, but enough of a touch to make it noticeable but not really all that good, just there kinda. Feel is fairly light, not thin but definately watery in most aspects. Its not to bad, actually a nudge over average but my concept of average has changed some so there ya go.

tavernjef, Jul 22, 2003
3.43/5  rDev +13.2%

I like that red color this beer has. I had this yesterday after a hot day of golfing. I needed something on the 19th hole. I decided to get a Killian's from the tap for the first time. No exceptional flavors here just a solid mix of malts and hops with some alcohol taste in it. Nothing stood out but thats not why I was drinking it. I just needed something to relax me after a round and this did it. Definitely a good choice when there's nothing else to choose from.

granger10, Jul 21, 2003