George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,725 | Reviews: 829
2.86/5  rDev -5.6%

A friend of mine swears by this beer, so I picked up a sixer. Didn't realize it was made by Coors until I punched it up on this site.

Pours an attractive amber color with an inch or so white head. So far, so good. Taste is fairly bland. Some malt, maybe a hint of bitterness (could be hops, but tough to make out the flavor). Nice, pleasant beer, but certainly nothing to write home about. For the price, there are lots better. Carbonation/mouthfeel was pleasant.

2.94/5  rDev -3%

I like this beer, do not get me wrong, but as far as being a good beer, killian's is not one. It smells like a coors but drinks much better.
A- A beautiful amber color with a mild one finger head

S- Smell is nothing special, the only notable scent is a light sweet caramel.

T- I like how this beer tastes, but its not top. It tastes mildly bitter and watered down.

M- mouthfeel is fairly bland, but the hopiness is present in the feel.

D- I tend to drink Killian's when I plan on getting drunk. (not sure if it is Ba sacreligious to like a beer for quantity).

2.28/5  rDev -24.8%

BLEH. I saw some mentions of hops in other reviews. Coors must have forgot to put them in my batch. This was one of the first beers that got me off of macro light lagers, so I decided to revisit it. Not entirely bad, but there is an overpowering, unbalanced sugary sweetness that I really don't care for. Maybe it is different on-tap. Disappointed.

Edit: I stupidly decided to buy this shit when it went on sale again. It is even worse now. I don't know if this is because I have developed my beer palate more or because it just somehow got worse. Slight bitter taste that is not a hoppiness but has more skunk character. These bottles were hidden from light in a 12 pack (fuck i have 11 more of these) and aren't out of date.

2.73/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pretty decent beer to drink if its on special. I know its made by Coors, but it has a good malty after taste that doesn't remind me of a macro. Its a great session beer because you sometimes can get a good deal on a 20 pack. To some it up I would say it is one of the better average beers.

2.69/5  rDev -11.2%

Appearance - Poured with a decent sized airy head which settled quite quickly. Very nice amber color.

Smell - Slight caramel malt aroma.

Taste - Average for the style. More sweetness than I would like, not enough malt profile.

Mouthfeel - Seemed to be lacking much body. Above average carbonation.

Drinkability - Pretty smooth, but not necessarily a beer I would choose to drink several of.

Not a bad beer, basically the Budweiser of red lagers.

3.88/5  rDev +28.1%

I Know this comes from one of the major players this is one of my favorites in places that aren't diverse in beers. It has a light amber color with a thin head. I think it has an inviting smell. The taste has a little sweet hoppy flavor. In my mouth it had a light carbonation and was very smooth. I think this is one of those good beers thats light enough to drink all night very enjoyable.

3.25/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Out of the bottle it has a clear reddish hue. There was a solid head with a slight lace.

S: There's a slight sweetness to it.

T: This is a great, easy-going beer. I used to think this beer was no better than a Bud until I did a blind taste-test and was surprised how high I rated it.

M: A little bit dry, a little bit bitter, but it is "clean" on the palate.

D: It is easy to drink, and has far more flavor than say a Bud or Coors (as is its parent company).

For the style of beer, cheap, American produced brew, it is better than most. Not a bad beer at all.

2.72/5  rDev -10.2%

Starts with a decent, albeit simple caramel malt aroma, but goes downhill from there. The flavor holds the nice caramel at first, but it gives way to a very unpleasant, almost acidic bitterness that's not fun at all. This beer isn't even inoffensive. I'd drink one if given to me, but I wouldn't finish it.

3.45/5  rDev +13.9%

On the road, I bought a 6er of this for the hotel room. I hadn't had the stuff in like 8 years, so I decided to give it a shot.

I was afraid that I was buying regular Coors with some red dye, so I was pleasantly surprised. Pretty sure it is one of the better offerings from the BMC crowd except maybe a few Michelobe varieties.

I drank from the bottle, so I can't say anything about appearance. The taste and smell was caramel malt all the way. Sweet and smooth. No hops that I could taste. The description the most comes to mind is creamy. I drank the whole 6er in an evening, so I would say that it is easy to drink.

Overall, I've had better beers, I have certainly had worse beers. It is a fine one for the price. I know that sometimes this is a (sorta) permium on tap at resaurants and I would pick it over the BMC stuff any day.

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Retried this over the past weekend after a few years away from it. Better than I remembered. Pours a brownish red with a slight foamy head that is retained throughout. Slight lacing on the glass. Smell is of yeast and malt, and the taste follows suit. Crisp and refreshing. Not much character to this beer, but it is a pretty good choice to have with a burger or steak.

2.38/5  rDev -21.5%

Pint from Hennessey's Irish Pub on the Hermosa Beach Pier strip

Poured a light red color with a 1/2 inch white head that stuck around for a couple minutes

Smell was not much at all and was surpirsed on the lightness of this beer, supposed to be much darker

Taste was a little dry with a few hoppy accents, but pretty smooth for the most part

Better on tap than out of a bottle for sure

Could drink three of four of these

3.78/5  rDev +24.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner. pours a crystal clear reddish amber with a light orange colored head that remains for a couple minutes, leaving light lacings on the glass.

smell is sweet, with caramel and pale malts showing, alongside a mild and grassy hop character. well balancedd in the nose, while remaining crisp in profile.

taste is lightly malty up front, with caramel malts over the rest, with a finish of light grassy hops. overall a lightly sweet tasting brew with a clean and crisp finish. a good lager, without much complexity.

mouthfeel is very smooth, with a medium-light body and a slight bite from CO2. finishes very smooth as well.

drinkability is great. this brew is crisp and clean, without complexity or overbearing flavors. it remains well balanced, and plays off subtle flavors to create a solid dark lager. cheers!

2.94/5  rDev -3%

Poured into the Sam Adams Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a red-amber hue with a moderate creamy head. The lacing on this beer isn't strong, but there is a little bit on occasion. There are some carbonation bubbles apparent in the brew.

Smell: Smells like a mix between malts and alcohol. I don't see much difference between this and other macros.

Taste: Starts with some malt taste, which gives way to grains and corn. There is a slight taste of hops on the finish, which is clean and crisp. There is nothing complicated here, but the taste itself isn't bad, unlike other macro lagers. This would be easy to enjoy on a Saturday afternoon with my friends.

Mouthfeel: Light, and with some crisp carbonation. Pretty standard for the style.

Drinkability: These are smooth and light, so they go down quite easily. Although this isn't even close to my favorite beer, it's something I can have when I'm not looking for something complex.

3.47/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Available unlike potatoe's in a blight. Tasty, earthy,spicy beer. Doesn't look like much, clean as a whistle, reddish like ohoulahan, in color. Smells like the barlye in the wind. Like spicy cabbage the flavor grows from the roots of the malt, low hops like a leprechaun with no pot o gold. Drink for sessions, drink for the year, drink for the laughter, drink for the tear.

3.06/5  rDev +1%

12 onz amber bottle no freshness date

Appearance: Brown/red color with a cream color head.

Smell: Sweetness and some fruits are right there

Taste: Caramel beer,grains and some malt,medium bodied not a lot carbonation,sweetness.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: Very easy to drink, too sweet for my taste, can have some more sips of this one.

2.5/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Why is it called Killian's Irish Red if it's not an Irish Red Ale?

Regardless, this beer pours an amber color (not quite red) with a thin head that doesn't last long. Aroma is one of sweetness with some roastiness detected along with dryness. Taste is very sweet, sweet and sweet with some maltiness. The background is somewhat weird though, not quite sure how to describe it.

Definitely don't like the aftertaste though. It's quite a bland beer. Solid, but still bland.

2.18/5  rDev -28.1%

This stuff was ok. Had it the other night while I was out with my girl. I was not too impressed by it.

A: Pours a dark, red body with no head and very minimal lacing. Eventually dissipates to nothing after a few sips.

S: A slightly malty, very alcoholic smell that was not too appealing.

T: A decent, alcohol taste. Was not too overbearing, but definitely was there. There seemed to be some kind of a vegetable aftertaste that reminded me of V-8 or some kind of carrot-tomato juice combination. Eventually, even the taste dissipates.

M: Pretty thin mouthfeel. A little like drinking slightly thick water.

D: I would not recommend this beer, really. It did not impress me at all. I guess it's drinkable because it's very thin, but the alcoholic taste and that weird aftertaste was too much of an onus to bear. About halfway through the thing, all taste - even the alcohol - seems to dissipate and it's just like drinking weird carbonated water.

3.85/5  rDev +27.1%

While being the first Irish red beer i've had, it was very good. The reddish amber color and the malty flavor all made my pallate explode with joy. The overall experience of this beer was very good for me, While I have heard other people say that this isn't the best one out there, I enjoy it from time to time, and will continue to do so.

3.38/5  rDev +11.6%

I had this on tap, free, while playing at Casino Royale in Vegas. I chose it because the competing beverages were nothing special, and also because 10 years ago this was my main choice at home. Call it my gateway beer. Now, after I've seasoned my palate a little, I can say that while it quenches thirst it is not the most tasty of malted drinks. The color is pleasingly dark amber, the aroma is muted malts, the flavor is inoffensive but a little bitter in an unsatisfying way, and the drinkability is very good (goes down like water). Not too much else to report.

2.86/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Pours a bright amber color, almost red, with an average off-white head. The head dissipated quickly leaving no lacing. The smell is grainy and on the sweet side, not all that appealing. The brew has an initial taste of sweet malt but is quickly followed a taste of grain. The feel is light and watery with tight carbonation. Served cold this is a light and refreshing brew, easy to slug back. One notch above your standard macros.

2.5/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass to form a perfect 1" head of loose foam that disappeared almost immediately leaving a sparce ring. The beer is honey colored and clear.

The nose was thin. Almost nothing there. Just a whiff of malt.

The taste was rather uninspired. Watery, fizzy lager with a bit of a sour bite at the finish..

Mouthfeel: watery and fizzy.

Drinkability: Well, that one is out of the way.... I will not seek this out. I'll only have this as a last resort.... It's better that your standard macro lager... but there are many other euro-darks that blow this out of the water.

2.44/5  rDev -19.5%

This was the beer of the month at bw3s. Nice red amber color, but other than that not much to brag about. It had a lousy head and not much after taste. Light carbonation with a little sweetness. I have had it before and not been impressed, but figured it was worth it for the 23oz glass. It is a drinkable beer, but forgetable at that.

2.71/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Clear, reddish amber (like a dark honey). Head was good at first and had very small bubbles, the kind you expect from nitrogenated beer. It dropped quickly to a film, then all but disappeared except for the edges and a bit of lacing.
S: Very mild grainy sweetness if anything but not much else.
T: Mostly bland, but not unpleasant sweetness (like light brown sugar. A bit of floral (maybe) hops toward the finish. Balance of the two in the aftertaste.
M: light with mild carbonation.
D: Okay, but maybe a bit to sweet for more than one. Unless, that is, you serve it very cold. Average drinkability b/c there was nothing great about this beer but nothing particualrly off or unsettling about this beer.

3.53/5  rDev +16.5%

Sampled on 8-3-07
Best before 10-21-07

Pours a crystal clear orange/amber, with a fizzy white head that bubbles away.

Smell is quite sweet with an interesting fruity quality.

Taste is good, standard macro with a nice earthy and flavorful edge. Surprisingly not adjuncty.

Mouthfeel is standard lager.

Drinkability is very good, like a macro with much more flavor.

Overall, a very good choice when stuck with nothing better.

3.3/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(I'm reviewing the 3.2 version sold in Oklahoma grocery stores)

Pours the color of iced tea. Not red really. Almost no head.

Pleasant sweetish aroma. The flavor is inoffensive but interesting. Pretty sweet, kinda malty but without any toasty character to speak of. A little bitty bit of hops in the background. Mouthfeel is decent when cold but goes downhill fast as it warms up.

The aftertaste is way too sweet which really cuts into its drinkability.

For its price (and considering that it is 3-point), it isn't bad, but compared to to other malty-lagers (i.e. Full Sail's Ltd. Series, Bottling #2) this pretty sub-par.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company