George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +41.9%

1 finger of off white head, vanishes quickly. amber color. smells of caramel and malt, not much hop aroma at all. tastes sweet and malty little bit of bitterness. very smooth. mouthfeel is slightly thin. nothing too special, but it is one of those beers that i could drink a couple cases of.

ericsdawson, Jul 26, 2005
3.03/5  rDev 0%

Poured a very nice reddish amber with an attractive looking head. However the head almost sticks to the sides of glass as you continue to drink it. Wierd!
The Smell was rather bland I thought maybe slightly toasted grain and a Sugar cane type smell. Cant Quite put my finger on that one.
Tasted only slightly above average very medium bodied. It was smooth and tasted of toasted malts, grain, and something I cant put my finger on but in the range of a sugar cane type taste. Overall it was an enjoyable beer but not a memorable beer. My taste buds deserve better.

ryantupy, Jul 09, 2005
2.73/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Dark amberish orange with a very slightly off-white, medium-sized, foamy, fully-diminishing head. Very little lacing.

Smell: Sweet-smelling malts and corn with a very, very light floral aroma. Nothing too great here, but nothing off-putting.

Taste: Same thing here. Not much to speak of, but nothing foul either. There’s a slight hop bitterness initially which fades fast to show off a weak malty sweetness. Finish is short in duration, sweet and weak.

Mouthfeel: Thin body, watery texture, soft carbonation.

Drinkability: I remember loving this stuff when I first discovered beer, and then hating it once I started getting into GOOD beer. But I was pleasantly surprised when I had it recently. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Nothing I would ever seek out though, since there are far better ones out there with comparable price tags. Just… eh.

ski271, Jul 06, 2005
3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

12 oz. with no freshness date - served chilled in a pilsner glass. Pours a kinda amber/burnt sienna color with a good amount of streams of carbonation and a thin fizzy head that reduces to nothing. However, the head reforms and leaves nice lacing toward the end. Sugary sweet malts, molasses, and caramel in the nose. Nuts, molasses, caramel, and toasted malts with some floral hops and a subtle bitterness and maybe some adjunct flavors in the back with a tingly medium to light body. This is better than I remember it being, but still nothing great. A good fall-back if there's nothing else.

mmmbeer, Jun 30, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -14.2%

Drank at the local Applebees. Not a particularly good beer and not handled or delivered well by the establishment. My critiqe will be largely based on what I remember about this beer from a few months ago.

The beer looks nicely auburn and crimson with medium carbonation to liven it up. Subtle off white head that fades quickly. Smells a little toasty, caramelly, and biscuity. Tastes equals the aromas, but offers little in the way of boldness or strength. No real body or hop character. Weak body and watery mouthfeel. An easy drinking beer, but always expect more from this one.

BEERchitect, Jun 29, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -11.6%

Dark reddish amber color with a finger of off-white head and just a whisp staying around all the way to the bottom. Aroma is very faint, just a hint of malts. The taste was crisp and blandly malty with a offsetting metallic aftertaste. The beer was a little thin and overcarbonated. I used to drink this in college, boy do I wish I knew what I know now back then.

cubedbee, Jun 02, 2005
3.58/5  rDev +18.2%

It's said this is a dark lager..I'd call it a red lager. Anyway, had this in a pub with a big burger and can say I really might call this my favorite Coors product. Maybe my favorite macro beer period!

Nice copper color with a decent head.

Smooth flavor from start to finish although I can't really pinpoint any particulars.

Although not exotic by any means, I'll take this over any other macro brew I can think of. Just a really pleasant drinking beer.

BrewMaven, May 30, 2005
3.15/5  rDev +4%

Pours clear copper-red. To me it has an earthy smell. Moderate toasted malt and carmael flavor. Light pleasent aftertaste. A good change of. pace. Carbonation for the bottle I drank was soft. Overall It was not a bad beer, good to have every once in a while. I will buy this one again sometime..

nota, May 24, 2005
3.18/5  rDev +5%

Nice red color as the name proclaims. Head is nice and sticky and stays around for a while. The smell is toasted grains and a touch of caramel. The taste is clean and is dominated by toasted grains. A touch of caramel and a dry grain finish. Has a meduim carbonated body. Nothing special here. Just an average dark lager. Oh yeah, to all my friends who think they are drinking the real deal. Coor's brews this beer.

Luigi, May 20, 2005
3.55/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This brew pours with a reddish hue. For the first minute before drinking, it retained a thin yellowish head. After the first few sips the head turns into a small cloud of loosely scattered bubbles.

The beer doesn't have much of a smell too it, besides the obvious smell of alcohol.

For a macro-brew, this beer surprisingly has a decent-bodied taste. Unlike most of the macros which taste like carbonated water.

Contains a satisfying frothy mouthfeel.

I shouldn't have a problem putting a few of these down.

In conclusion, I find that for a macro-brew, this one isn't bad at all. This beer definitely isn't anything revolutionary, but when its on a list next to the likes of Bud and Miller Lite, definitely go for the Killian's.

thegiggy86, May 16, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -3.3%

The bar I was at last night had this in pint glasses for $1.08 during happy hour. I've had this before, and I considered it a cheap red that was tolerable. So, what the hell. Sample away with my BA skills in play.

App: Darker than amber lagers, a rich head and large bubbles.

Smell: Not much. A little alcohol and not much else.

Mouth: Average as any other. It was a typical bar-macro on tap.

Taste: Average. While it had a little of the bitterness that I'd expect from reds, it settled into any other tap macro flavor.

Drinkability: Yep. Average. I'd never have this in a bar unless it was on special. Yeah, that's where I've had this one before, 1.50 22oz special at BW3 years ago. Better than anything in the Coors house other than Blue Moon.

Ricochet, Apr 28, 2005
3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Killian's is one of those beers that I can take or leave, depending on my mood. I drank straight from the bottle, so no comment on the coloring or head retention, but I do have a few things to say about the taste.
Killian's starts off as a fairly inoffensive beer--nothing to write home about but not bad either. I suspect that perhaps the taste of the beer has been "dumbed-down," as it were, to appeal to a larger segment of the American public. But, as already stated, it's not bad beer, just not particularly exciting. However, there was something in the finish, an aftertaste, I guess I could call it, that just struck me as odd, like it didn't fit with the rest of the flavors in the beer. It wasn't bitter; it was more a sweetness, though not fruity, just sweet. And I tasted it in every bottle out of the sixer I bought. I don't know what it was, maybe it's supposed to be there, but it just struck me as not fitting with the rest of the beer. The strange aftertaste doesn't affect drinkability, though.

MurphyMacManus, Apr 13, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -3.3%

My one time a year purchase of Killian's comes every March, the week leading up to St. Patty's day. For as long as I can remember (at least the last 6 years now) I have purchased this beer at Hy-Vee grocery for $3.99 a six. When I worked there we sold about 50 cases of this stuff in March, and about 50 cases the rest of the year (although during football the sales would pick up slightly). At $3.99 its a pretty good buy, at the regular price of $5.99, not such a good deal.

Appearance: Reddish amber, clear. Poured with a 1/2-inch head which dissipates to a small dollop on the liquid. Leaves no lacing.

Smell: Slightly malty, hint of caramel and toffee.

Taste: A little malty, slightly sweet with the caramel and toffee flavors. A hint of hops, but I detected none in the scent.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, medium carbonation. Finishes cleanly with no lingering aftertastes.

Drinkability: This one is ok, I always manage to put back a few, but for some reason I just seem to get tired of this easily.

I usually pick up a six or two at the cheap price in March, but I don't think I've purchased this any other time. I can remember in my younger years when I thought this was an import (and paid import prices in a few bars). I was shocked to find it was actually a Coors product and a decent one at that.

BigRedN, Mar 18, 2005
3.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Perhaps Coors' best offering. GK Irish Red is a deep orangey-red lager with a beige-colored head that dissipates fairly quickly. Not much aroma, but what there is is pleasant enough. Taste is crisp, nicely balanced between malty and hoppy. And yes, you can drink more than one. Overall, I'd rate this beer a half-notch above average.

DFN, Mar 06, 2005
3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a deep reddish copper color with cream colored head. The smell of sweet, toasted caramel malts dominate this brew. Tastes very much like it smells, sweet and malty with just a touch of hop bitterness. Good alternative to the marco lagers. A decent offering from the folks at Coors.

clemtig76, Mar 04, 2005
3.15/5  rDev +4%

Killian's Irish Red pours a beautiful clear amber/copper color; a 1/2" cream-colored head appears, and disappears slowly. Moderate carbonation and lacing. The smell is dominated by the malt sweetness; there's just the slighest hint of a hop aroma (and a bit of adjunct graininess thrown in as well).

The taste is fairly sweet and malty, with just a little bit of bitterness. Other than that, there's nothing in this beer that really adds or subtracts to the flavor one way or another. Killian's has more body than a typical macro, and it has a heavier mouthfeel than most other lagers. It finishes fairly clean, with a slightly sweet (and adjunct-influenced) aftertaste.

Overall, this is a mildly respectable dark lager, and it is one of the better macro offerings available. If you find yourself in a BMC-only setting, you could do far worse than Killian's.

swid, Mar 01, 2005
2.7/5  rDev -10.9%

I had the very same attitude and experience with the previous reviewer when it comes to Killians. When you compare this beer to what we were getting at college keg parties (busch light, ice house), Killians is a welcome change (color and maltiness). Regardless, this beer pours nicely and looks pretty in a glass with its deep amber, reddish color and sea-foam head. Taste-wise, this beer is lacking. To please more people, the hops flavor and aroma are almost nonexistant. A bit of hop flavor is there, but hidden under a malty blanket. This beer is a bit sweet and so not well balanced. Caramel maltiness with a hint of toasted cereal flavors are the main flavors.

ahking, Feb 25, 2005
3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

This is sort of my "if I can't get something really good then I'll have a..." brew. It seems to be readily available, especially on draft many places nowdays. I should give credit however in that this brew is responsible for opening my eyes that not all beer is filthy yellow swill. Until I had this I thought I hated beer truthfully, and now I absolutely love it!

Alas though, my tastes have moved beyond this "starter beer" as I call it.

So anyway, to the actual review: This one pours a rather nice reddish brown with a respectable head to match. The smell is actually very nice, but not overpowering. First sip yields a slight malt and hop taste, but not really strong, sort of a weak glimps if anything. It is however rather easy to drink and again, is much better than most macros. I'd take this over the yellow lager monster any day.

Gaisgeil, Feb 01, 2005
3.5/5  rDev +15.5%

Killian's has become a beer of choice of mine lately at bars. Most places that don't carry stuff like Sierra Nevada or Bass have this.

Thank you, Coors. I'll give credit where credit is due.

Killian's Irish Red has a deep reddish color with an inch and a half of head. Ths beer has a nice aroma and smells richer than it actually is. Killian's drinks smooth, with a solid flavor that never overstates itself. It goes well with a lot of food, including my fav, pizza.

Anyway, Killian's is a great brew that's easy to find and great to drink. Cheers!

sweetwaterman, Feb 01, 2005
2.83/5  rDev -6.6%

This is my “good enough beer” that I drink at the bars that have nothing but Coors and Budweiser. I will also bring this to parties where I know people will just guzzle the beer and won’t appreciate it if I bring anything good.

A very uneventful beer. A slight smell, pleasant red amber color (maybe not /entirely/ natural, but I eat Boo Berry cereal, so I can’t complain) and a nutty-sweet flavor with a mild hop aftertaste. The mouthfeel is exceptionally bright and smooth, though the beer is thin and the frothy head fades to nothingness quickly.

Better than most of your mass market lagers. I can’t complain. It's drinkable.

foXXtail, Jan 27, 2005
2.1/5  rDev -30.7%

Apperance: Copper, and a fading red. head retention is minimal, and lacing is ok.

Nose: Carmel, macro wheat, tap water.

Taste: Crisply carbonated, lightly bitter, copper macro like taste. Tastes like sucking on a penny.

Notes: Great marketing. A lot of people think this is a fine import.

travolta, Jan 24, 2005
3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

never had it, was at the corner store...pretty cheap, so i swooped it up. pours pretty nicely, amber/red with a respectable head. aroma is somewhat malty and to my suprise there is some hop presence. on the toungue it isnt bad (hmmm?), caramel malts, a bit toasty...a small but nice hop touch. nothing amazing but nothing to frown upon either. a touch undercarbonated in my opinion, but nothing bad. this was a decent beer and i will drink it again. fits the bill just fine for those days when all you want is pizza and halo2. and at a fair price.

DESTRO, Jan 22, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -11.6%

It pours a nice amber color with a somewhat creamy head. The head was better than i expected from a coors product. The head didn't last long and there isn't much lacing. It has a somewhat good smell, maybe carmel or malt i don't know, but it isn't really above average. flavor seems to be weak. there is a slight taste of whatever that scent is but that's about it. it does go down smooth, almost too smooth, like water. mouthfeel wasn't bad, but again nothing special. would i drink it again? if it's already in the fridge i would but if i have something better in the fridge i'd go with that.

ghurux86, Dec 10, 2004
2.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Beer poured a clear red/amber with noticable 1 inch head, but the head didn't stick around long. Absolutely no lacing left behind.

Smell was not offensive, but not pleasant either. To tell the truth, I didn't really detect much of a smell at all. Faint dry malt, but that's about all.

The only word that came to mind while drinking this beer was bland. Where is the flavor?

Better the the Macro adjuct lagers, but there are so many other better beers to spend your money on.

oracle, Nov 30, 2004
2.68/5  rDev -11.6%

Had this for the first time in a long time last night. Was either this or Miller Light. It poured a clean amber with a rather decent white head. My glass was not clean enough there was no lace. There was not much of a smell nor of a taste. Light maltiness, some vague hints of fruit and faint bittering hops. were evident. Not likely to buy this one any time soon. Just another mediocre BMC product, though a drinkable one.

Citadel82, Nov 26, 2004