George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev +16.5%

12 oz. bottle into a pilsner.

clear orange amber with a touch of white head that leaves thin rings of lace.

sweet, woody, cherry-like roasted malt aroma with strong caramel backing.

toasted malts with hints of honey sweet cherry in the flavor. a touch of hop balance, but fairly light in bitterness. light, drinkable feel with a stingy carbonation. a surprisingly drinkable, flavorful widely available beer.

3.63/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearamce- It poured a dark amber and had a significant head

smell- It was a sweet, fruity, malty mixed smell

taste- it was sweet up front with malt twards the end

mouthfeel- it went down pretty smooth

drinkablity- it very drinkable i could drink 3 or 4 in a night

3.45/5  rDev +13.9%

On tap for free at the Belmont Stakes in Queens. Served in a plastic cup.

Deep red with more of a head than I would expect at a racetrak. There is little complexity to this beer, and what's there is at the surface. I do dig the smokiness of the malt, and it makes for a very drinkable beer sitting outside in the summer.

3.28/5  rDev +8.3%

Decided to pick up another random beer. looks like I did pretty good. one of the best macros I've tried so-far. boured an nice copper amber (almost orange) with about 3/4-1 inch cream colored head.that dissappeared quickly. taste was very smooth. with little to no dryness, slight caramel. a little weaterd down for my taste but FAR more more flavor than most amarican macro lagers. a little more carbonation would have helped the mouth feel. easily drikable and enjoyable. The only thing I didn't like was the smell of this beer which in my glass was that of puke. no kidding.

3.48/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap in Cavelier (sp?) ND

Pours caramel to red with a 1" white head. Minimal head retention & no lacing

Smell: Fruittyness & malt hints

Taste: fruity up front then caramel. Finishes malty & dry

MF: Okay balance, but nothing really asserts itself, slightly undercarbonated

Drinks okay, good beer to have when you're miles away from beer civilization. At its best (fresh) its better than this review. At its worst, just mundane

2.93/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a dark red with a huge off-white head. There wasn't much smell considering the big head on this beer. I did get it on tap, but even after the head faded there wasn't much going on. Smell was mixed with hops and malts, a standard macro. The taste is a bit different, hard to pinpoint, but a good mix and balance. Good for a macro, more flavor than your average, has a small bite to it. This is worth trying especially if you are looking towards average prices for a better macro than the rest. It has a good mouthfeel and it is easy to drink. If you are confined to buying from a grocery store with macro offerings Killian's is a good choice.

Poured into a mug with a moderate amber body and a fluffy off white head. Not much in the aroma department except for a little grain and toasty malt. Again, this tastes grainy, a lot like a macro lager. What bolsters the rating on the flavor is the presence of the toastiness. Almost has a cocoa flavor to it. Mouthfeel was too light and prickly for me. Aside from the bad points, this was rather drinkable with my pizza.

3.73/5  rDev +23.1%

This beer is ok. Its appearance is the best thing about it. It is not anything special. But this beer is good for a beer that is brewed by Coors. Had a bottle at my grandparents house with dinner recently. A 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. This beer is a deep red/amber color with a white foamy head about over an inch thick when poured. Settles to a nice surface coating after about 5 minutes. Decent lace here. It certainly is much better than anything else I have ever had by Coors. The smell is a bit weak, it is of some mild toasted malt and a hint of caramel is also present, followed by a trace of hops. It tastes mainly of mildly toasted malt and some mild hops. It has mild carbonation and leaves a dry and bitter aftertaste. It could be a lot worse, but this beer is not all that interesting and leaves something more to be desired. It seems to me that this beer has more potential than its brewers have fully realized. This beer could maybe be more if its brewers would try harder. However, out of all the American macro lagers, this is certainly one of the more enjoyable ones out there.

Eric

0k, this beer really surprised me, being from Coor's i expected something only mildly drinkable, I was wrong. Beer is a very nice red color with a sizable head that leaves plenty of lacing.

aroma is of caramel and toasty malt.

flavor is nice tosty malt up front followed by a mild hop presence.

mouthfeel is just right for the style, medium viscosity, well carbonated.

overall, i couldn't really find anything wrong with this beer, it is pretty good actually, and easy to drink. i will have again when i'm at a restaurant with limited options.

3.2/5  rDev +5.6%

Being pretty new to serious beer tasting I don't think my palate is sophisticated enough yet to get subtle nuances, but I can say Killian's Irish Red is better than your average macrobrew but not near as interesting as Guinness for example.

In fact, Killian's is very much like a somewhat stronger version of a standard macro, only prettier looking.

It's very nice looking color, a darkish, red tinted. The head is on the thin and weak side, but certainly better than most. Doesn't last very long.

Not much of an odor. And not too interesting of a taste. Slightly hoppy, slightly bitter, vaguely sweet, but nothing you can pause and say "Hmm, do I detect notes of blank? Is that a touch of blank?"

Pretty bland in the mouth, watery.

But like I said, it's like a slightly higher quality macrobrew. Drinkable if there's nothing else but Bud, but I'd certainly rather have something more interesting.

3.53/5  rDev +16.5%

I had this right after I drank my unimpressive Shiner Bock. I did like this better, and it was very nice on-tap. It had a nice head at first, but faded and left a little lace. It definatley had a taste, and a good one at that, but nothing to write home about. I don't think I'd ever be unsatisfied with this beer, but there are certainly better options. However, great as far as Coors is concered.

*Note* I just had this beer again today for lunch, and i could now see the appearance. As I probably could've guessed, it was red...really red. Looked good.

4.15/5  rDev +37%

This happens to be one of my favorite all time beers.
Appearance: Nice medium light red color.
Smell: N/A
Taste: Well carbonated and a little watery.
Mouthfeel: Watery
Drinkability: Easy going down!
So I recommend that if you are strapped for some cash and you want to enjoy a beer go ahead and enjoy a Irish Red beer. Not to mention its perfect for St. Patricks Day!! Oh yeah!!

3.53/5  rDev +16.5%

I think this one is highly underrated considering the price. Living in Binghamton, this is the absolute best keg you can get.. which is not too shabby. 79 bucks for a keg (not too shabby in this area either).

Has a nice reddish amber color with a respectable fluffy head

Not a really particularly good smelling brew.. simple and malty.. but not even comparable to the garbage that everyone I know drinks.

Tastes malty.. with a Barely detactable hop presence. Still above average. Tastes better warm. (I have had it ice cold and just below room temp.. and it definitely shows more character when warmer)

Satisfying, well rounded mouth feel but a teensy bit watery

As far as drinkability.. let me put it his way.. A few friends and I were working on this keg for a few days and it still tastes good.

I have to give this brew the respect it deserves, even if its not the best thing out there, it is an Excellent college beer. An excellent beer for the true connoisseur? ...no. But it is damn good for what it is trying to be.

-Slante' my fellow BAs

2.4/5  rDev -20.8%

A - 1 1/4" light beige head. Clear amber beer. The head hangs around for a little while before falling to a cap. Some lace.

S - Metallic. Honey. Grainy malt.

T - Very non-descript. Light. Tiny amount of malt. No hops anywhere to be found.

M - Super thin. No finish at all - swallow and it is gone.

D - Below average drinkability. Not enough flavor. A little left over sweetness and that is about it. For the same price, I am all over JW Dundee's American Amber.

3.58/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance- red (imagine that) with a golden foam- foam didn't hang around too long and it was only one finger
Smell- not a real lot of smell to it, a slight hop smell and that was about it
Taste- pretty decent flavor, the hops were a bit more apparent here, but the malt kinda overtook, tasted slightly watered down though
Mouthfeel- light on the tougne, carbonated up a bit
Drinkability- easy to slam if you wanted to, with just enough flavor to sit and enjoy in a pinch

3.05/5  rDev +0.7%

This is one of those 'round to it reviews. I have had Killian's Irish Red many times, never thought that much about savoring it and writing a review. Pours a nice coppery/reddish color with little head and lacing. Didn't notice any distinctive aroma. Mild malt taste, thin mouthfeel. A step up from BMC but not all that much flavor. I would do pitchers of this at Hooters (especially if the other choices were Bud lite or Coors lite!!). I much prefer Yeungling or Sam Adams for mass consumption and SNPA if I just want to kick back and savor something good.

2.5/5  rDev -17.5%

From the bottle: It pours a pretty dark red/amber (hence the name, I imagine) with fairly minimal lacing.

The smell and taste are both a bit funky, but not unpleasant. Minimal hops, but pretty strong sweet/dark maltiness. Nothing complex, but not unpleasant either.

The mouthfeel and drinkability are the strong points of this beer. It's exceptionally smooth and easy to drink. Certainly to be picked over most macrobrews.

Overall, though, Killian's isn't worth the price it fetches, at least around here. It's a good substitute for macro lagers, and it would be a fine backup beer if it were cheap, but anyplace with a decent selection should have better offerings in this price range.

3.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pulled from keg into 12 oz stein mug, frozen because we are in Georgia. The dark red color is most appetizing, the smell is of faint malt. The taste is also of malt but on the light side.Mouthfeel is very good, for a barleywine drinker, this is a session beer. The drinkability is also very good, a light bodied dark beer. Out of the bottle the malt is a bit more pronounced. I've enjoyed Killian's for years, often the only dark beer available on tap at bars with little or no selections beyond BMC etc.

Slainte,

barleyman

2.98/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I see this one around everywhere but always avoid it. Thought I'd try it for the first time in ages. It was so-so, whatever, nearly ho-hum, but far from undrinkable.

Surprised to see that the color was more hazy caramel than red. A small well-retained head, abundant carbonation and little bits of lace up and down glass.

Aroma is faint, with only the slightest bit of malty sweetness coming to the nose.

Good malt elements in the flavor, caramel-ish sweetness, with faint hops balancing things out. Acceptable but not at all remarkable. Not helped by a watery, thin mouthfeel.

Went okay with my mushroom-swiss veggie-burger, but not something I'll go out of my way for again.

2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Poured a light paled amber color, with a slightly off white head those rose quickly. As the rocky head finally settles to a half inch,I realized this beer leaves a nice amount of laceing behind. I even notice a few lone beads floating to the top.

Smell: Has a slight stench of corn adjuct with some thankful caramel maltiness and light hop character. And to no surprise the alcohol is not present.

Taste: The flavors are all light and vague, but you can pick up some caramel lager notes, a subtle hop profile, and a raisiny aftertaste. Nothing exciteing, but much better than your typical BMCs.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is light bodied with a medium level of carbonation. A watered down grainy feel.

Drinkability: The only reason I gave this beer a 3.5 on drinkability is because it has always been a great light bodied beer to fall back on if a good craft beer isn't available. It is a notch up from American pilsners in my own opinion and would be a good gateway beer to craft brews.

Cheers2Beers

2.35/5  rDev -22.4%

Lightest "dark lager" I've seen and not all that red really. No outstanding,m striking favor. Just tastes like any old lager. Hoppy, sharp, bitter aftertaste that stays with you. I liked this better when I was younger, and it is a good "starter" beer to jump from your Buds and Millers to, but it's nothing I'd intentionally drink if I had my choice.

3.08/5  rDev +1.7%

This was served ice cold with absoultely no head and dark brown color. Mildly malty aroma with a toasty malt accented flavor. Aftertaste was carbonation and some hops thrown in. I was thirsty at the time so this went down pretty good especially with some spicy food. Overall not too bad for a macro but this is nothing to look forward to after a hard day.

3.48/5  rDev +14.9%

Brewed by Coors locally. This bottle was left at my house by houseguests. Pours almost a finger of sticky, yet soda pop-like, head. Odd, sticky, but the bubbles were popping quickly. Anyway. Crystal clear gorgeous light copper-brown liquid. Smells sweet toasty and tannic. A bit of edge that could be hops or alcohol sting. Mildly of cherries in a brandy sort of way. Dry malts. Tastes pretty good actually. Sweet to start with malt jumping in strong and a swet sweet finish. The flavors in the aftertaste hang around a while before things dry out with a metalic edge. Toasty malt and buttery diacetyl. A bit of a dry caramel flavor. Light body but I think the buttery helps the liquid form a slick on the tongue (not fond of this characteristic of this beer). Modestly carbonated. Well done as a macro offering.

This beer is classified on BA as a Euro Dark Lager. Not a style I'm familiar with and there are presently no guidelines provided. So...this beer was not very dark...and not very lager, either. But for a macro product, it's one of the best. I guess I'll rate it partly as a Macro offering.

3.6/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Killian's is a good beer, BUT...

I used to consider Killian's a good dark beer...and then I drank dark beers. I really can only look at this beer as a red lager, it has no weight. However, if a beer drinker has only experienced the usual domestics, Killians will be a delight as it was for me when I first drank it.

Unfortunately, the taste can get old; it is not something you can chug or party with, well, without your stomach filling up with air. This beer will fill you up like you just ate dinner. Then again, Killian's with dinner at a regular chain restaurant is certainly not bad.

3.33/5  rDev +9.9%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a mug

A- my first experience with a red ale, and it really was red! in all actuality, it was more like a dark amber than red but i can definitely see where it got the name.

S- hops and wheat, not much else to report here

T- tasted like wheat mostly, with a slight hops after taste. not bad at all.

M- kind of thin, but well carbonated, much more so than i was expecting

D- i'd drink this again. a fine beer, not in my top 5 by any means but not a bad beer.

George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company