George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev +21.5%

Well with appearance, obviously it is RED.

Smells like barley. Light scent of alcohol.

Taste is crisp. Its light, and refreshing. Light carbonation so that is good as I dont like alot of bubbles in my beer.

This is something I like to drink while on lunch. Goes good with food, not too heavy that is a meal, yet is not a light beer. Just good to have around when cause it is easy to get most places around here.

halo21, Nov 15, 2004
3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

Surprised to find this from Coors, who usually falls short of quality...

Pours translucent red with a lot of foamy head that lingers. Smell has foundations of macro but also some sweet malty notes. Taste is a bit sweet and malts are very noticeable. It's rather smooth. It's definitely my choice of beer from places like Applebee's.

aquatonex, Oct 31, 2004
3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

Just got a free gallon of this from a keg at the place I was pressing cider at tonight. Now that I'm home, I can give this a proper review.
Colour is a nice medium amber, big fluffy head that dies down after a while.
aroma is mainly of malts, nice and soft.
Taste is all about sweet malts, with a great balance. Nothing really going crazy in here, just good smooth lager taste that goes well with food, and standing around in the northwoods during autumn.
Decent beer for a session, and not too shabby. I was expecting less. I'd like to rate it higher for being so amicable, but, can't justify bumping any of the qualities up.

trancefishy, Oct 24, 2004

Heard a lot about this one...

Appearance- beautiful red amber color but has little head and it dissapears really quickly.

Smell-A light frangrance, I can't smell that much...but that may be a good thing.

Taste-very full, yet nothing spectacular, I don't want to say bland because it isn't, it just doesn't do as much as it should.

Mouthfeel-Not bad, the taste is full, it goes down fairly smooth, and the aftertaste is fine, can't ask for much more.

Drinkability-you can have as many of these as you want, it's a par for the course beer that isn't tough on the stomach.

Overall-a solid beer, a lot could be better, but much more could be worse, you should have no problem accepting this if your offered it.

TheDeuce, Oct 10, 2004
3.18/5  rDev +5%

Killian's pours a solid ruby-amber with adequate head. Smell is sweet, a little generic, but not bad. Taste is fairly full, but not spectacular. This is a little too sweet, especially in the finish. It doesn't cloy, but still feels a little bit unbalanced. This is middle-of-the-road stuff, it's easy to drink and not bad. You could find a lot worse and a lot better. If the other choices were typical macro products I'd choose Killian's.

Gagnonsux, Sep 30, 2004
3.15/5  rDev +4%

This beer pours a nice reddish amber with a thin beige colored head. Not much in the aroma department just a small hint of malty sweetness.

The taste is malty with a good hint of hoppyness, not overly exciting but more flavor than a traditional macro.

It has good mouthfeel and drinkability, would highly suggest for times when it is the best you can get.

Juggernaut, Sep 29, 2004
3.15/5  rDev +4%

This is one of my favorite beer made by any american macro. Not bad in a bottle but on tap it can actually be quite enjoyable. Pours out a nice rich red with decent head and a little bit of lacing. The body is a nice and full for this type of beer i think. The reason i like it in on tap is because it gives me an aftertaste of powder sugar, although none of my friends know what the hell i am talking about. Overall a good beer that is worth getting at a restaurant if nothing better is offered, because where i'm from, the price for this is the same as the macros.

acrawf6, Sep 22, 2004
3.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not to shabby, pours a nice red amber syrup color with a slightly off white head that resides to a fizzle. The smell is of apple malts and slight syrup tones, slight hop tones mixed with grain. The taste is a nice fruit malt with molasses layers, a hint of hop nullifies the sweetness, subtle but smooth, not bad at all. Would drink again. Especially for 70 cents a bottle.

beertaster13, Sep 19, 2004
3.05/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at a restaurant. Reddish color with a tight head of tiny bubbles. Malty aroma, sweet and toasted. Flavor is up front bitterness followed by some caramel sweetness. This particular glass didn’t have the metallic taste I find Killians sometimes has. I can usually count on Killian's when I'm out and about.

redmosquito, Sep 14, 2004
3.23/5  rDev +6.6%

Kegs of killians used to be the thing in highschool. Beer didn't get any better than that for us. Good thing it finally did get better.
This would be much better if it were put in cans and sold for $10 a case. It has flavor! Believe it or not its not offensive in the least. Good job coors! This falls short of being anything close to good. But its very drinkable.

MrNuggets, Sep 01, 2004
2.65/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours an orangey amber, clear with little carbonation. There was only a fingernail width of head and maybe, a smattering of lace towards the bottom of the glass. The aroma is faint with a hint of spice. The taste is very fruity at first. Not much on the hop area. Pretty bland and watery. Not one I'll try again.

abcsofbeer, Aug 27, 2004
3.63/5  rDev +19.8%

This was a nice reddish brew with a good head, that had good retention and left lace rings around the glass.

The aroma was of hops, but slightly sweet and with apple notes.

The taste was slightly sweet, with some fruitiness, and a smooth malt finish. A nice drinking beer when most of the other offerings are pale macros, but not a great one overall.

connecticutpoet, Aug 19, 2004
3.18/5  rDev +5%

12oz bottle scrounged from my parents' fridge to enjoy while waiting to do some work at my parents' sheep farm.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" off-white head above a reddish-amber brew. Minimal aroma, but what is present is well-balanced. Taste was lightly malty, with a crispness from the hops. Mouthfeel and drinkability were both reasonably good, making it, in my mind, an okay "fall-back" brew when out at some of those unenlightened pubs and such.

ppoitras, Aug 14, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +28.1%

i ahve been drinking this beer ocasionally for a while now and it has to be one of my favorite.would compare it to sam adams in taste and characheter.quite a dark beer deep malt flavor, slightly hoppy but strong malt.pretty smooth also, but definetly a beer drinkers type of beer. koors was smart not to put their name on the bottle for fear it would detract from their sales and image, but it is a quality beer.

twi1609372, Aug 12, 2004

Comes out a bright red color with excellent clarity and a decent sized head that puts a bit of lace around the glass. Decent aroma with a slightly sweet caramel smell and a grainy character about it. The taste is similar as the grainy bready taste dominates the flavor with a bit of sweetness thrown in but overall a pretty watery taste. Mouthfeel is decent being about medium to light bodies and lacking a bit in carbonation. Overall a good beer to get if the usual macros are the alternatives, otherwise something I would avoid as it is nothing special.

meathookjones, Aug 12, 2004
2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

I'm going to do this blind, not having taken a look at any other reviews of this beer. I think this is the way to go with a beer that you don't want to have others opinions overwhealm you. Well, the beer pours an amber red in color, as I would expect it to. Not bad. I went to see what head I could get out of it and with much effort, I got about 3 fingers that fell quickly to a finger with minimal lace on the glass. The nose is sweet. Not bad, but more average than anything. There is no hint of hop, which makes the beer suffer. There is a ery prominent grain flavor in the beer, more than I would want. There are no hops to speak of, so the beer again fails in what I would like. There is a decently thick mouthfeel on the beer, and there is also not as much carbonation as I would want as well. I just don't like the flavor of this beer. Its not a bad offering from the brewery, but still not my favorite out of a bottle. I have to say the drinkability suffers from the grainy flavors and the small bubbles in the carbonation. Before I developed my taste for a good beer, this was my fall-back. Now, I have trouble drinking it.

kmpitz2, Aug 10, 2004
1.5/5  rDev -50.5%

Pours a pretty copper color with a small head and poor retention. Smells earthy, like dirt or smog with a really funky sour note in the back.

Tastes like a mixture of hops and dirt upfront, making way for the taste of dirty socks in the back. I thought my glass was dirty, but it was the same after I asked for a second pour.

Foul dogshit beer for people who know nothing about beer but want to look like they do. I've seen a six pack go for eight bucks!

mynie, Aug 05, 2004

Had this one on tap at the wolverine bar & grill, where i work. Poured out a deep copper color, not a rich red or anything. Head resembled dish soap and was off white in color. moderate amounts of lacing that stuck around for the better half of the glass. smell was that of any regular macro brewed beer, sweet and grainy. taste was much the same as the smell, sweet, and mildly bitter, its brewed by coors so that explains the taste and smell. Not a bad macro, a little thin and dry as can be, but a decent offering i suppose.

jayb, Jul 29, 2004
2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

I think the last time I had tried this beer was sometime before Kurt Cobain decided that lead might taste yummy. I used to file it in the "better than a poke in the eye" category but, since I was at a bar where the best beer on tap was the Sam Adams Summer Ale, and the Killians was $3.50/pint, well, I figured why not try it again....

Poured a thin blood red, don't know if they use coloring but they sure make it red. Kind of flat off the tap, not much smell either. Very sweet on the taste buds, something of a caramel and brown sugar taste, definitely malty flavor but kind of thin and watery with a whisper of hops in the end. Compared to regular Coors this is divine nectar, but compared to other beers I'd say it's too thin and simple to be much of anything, but not annoying either. If you are going to a party where they also serve boxed wine you could show up with this and make quite an impression.

PopeJonPaul, Jul 27, 2004
3.38/5  rDev +11.6%

On tap in large mug, reviewed from notes

Bright red in color, nice head of foam that stayed through most of the mug. Smell is a bit grainy sweet, not too strong or overpowering, though. Malty taste to it, with a bit of hoppiness perhaps, and a slight taste of caramel. Mouthfeel is nothing that stands out too much, not really thick or thin, but a good bit of carbonation to it.

This was the first beer that I really liked way back when all of two years ago when I turned 21 (and a little before that, as well ;) ). The choices on tap were very limited at the bar, so this is, and always will be for me, a good standby when there's little but macroswill to drink.

Rio, Jul 14, 2004
2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours out a reddish-auburn-brown (as the name might suggest) with a very thin almond-colored head. Within a few minutes, the head was reduced to just a thin collar. Taste is malty with some faint hoppiness, but strong in carbonation. Probably too strong in carbonation, as it seems to be all I can think about now... It almost tastes like well brewed tonic water. Not to say that the flavor is watery, because there are definitely some good qualities about it. It finishes with some bitterness and the remains of too much carbonation. Mouthfeel is too thin (carbonation) for my tastes. I remember loving this beer during my college years. I see now that my tastes have matured significantly. It is, however, much better than the other offerings from the Coors Brewing Company. I would recommend this as a gateway beer to the rest of beerdom... but not something I will be asking for at a bar or restaurant.

niknar, Jun 19, 2004
2.85/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours not red but a deep orangish amber with a nice-looking two-finger head. Strange aroma - sweet malt (almost sickly sweet), with hints of astringency and corn syrup. Not much in the way of taste - a little sweet malt, with more corn syrup and a touch of light citrus in the thin body. Well, at least you can drink a lot of it if it's your thing.

ElGordo, May 14, 2004
2.23/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

it's definitely red. about as dark as a cab sauvignon, but with a deeper reddish-brown.

smells a bit bitter, without much other scent. Tastes a bit thin.

it is about as bubbly as a soda, but the flavor is like a deeper lager taste. not too bitter, not terribly heavy, altogether much better than the worst beers, but not all that exciting either

henrysunset, May 09, 2004
3.73/5  rDev +23.1%

Been quite some time since I've had this beer, and this is the first time on tap. I had this and a SA Bos Lager at the establishment, and both were exceptionally fresh. Mild malty aroma led to a smooth caramel malt taste, good, balanced sweetness. Bit of hop balance in the finish, dry.

I thought the beer snob in me would frown upon this offering after such a long time, but that just wasn't the case. Refreshing, tasty. I'd order it again.

Stingray5, May 02, 2004
2.28/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours a clear ruby copper color with an off-white/tan head. Not much going on in the way of aroma but I did detect a little bit of crystal/caramel malt in the nose. The body is very light with very little bitterness or hops. Very easy to drink considering that its not too far from being straight water.

jlh8643, Apr 29, 2004