George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev +21.5%

Poured into pint glass.

Light red, amber color. Foaming head if poured right, but it didn't last. Smell of some malt, hops, cherry and a bit of chocolate.
Taste was not much different than a Coors, yet a bit better. More malt, less corn and straw. A good feel and drinkability. Can have it for St. Patty's Day if I'm broke. Perhaps Coors' second best beer (Winterfest)

Mebuzzard, Jan 26, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark amber color, some carbonation, small head. and some lacing throughout. The scent is sweet malty. The taste is on the sweet side with a not bad aftertaste. Medium body. Drinkable. I remember having this brew way back when I lived in CA. First red beer I ever had.

Wasatch, Jan 24, 2006
1.88/5  rDev -38%

Had this on tap today, nice amber color, but that's probably the best thing you can say about this beer. The taste is inoffensive, but not really interesting either. Perhaps a step above bud/miller/coors, but not much. If I were looking for a macro and this was on sale I might buy it, but not worth seeking out.

Drew966, Jan 21, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -29.7%

Purchased from Target on University, Huntsville, AL.

Dark amber body with thick foamy off-white head. Pretty nice presentation, considering it's essentially a Coors product. Nice head retention, decent lacing.

Aroma is made up primarily of hops, with a touch of amber fruit underneath. Reminds me more of a weak amber than a Euro Dark Lager.

Slight fruit flavor up-front, but finishes with a strongly macro-like taste that reminds me of "low-carb" beer offerings like Mich Ultra. Unpleasant aftertaste.

Thin mouthfeel, but to be expected for the style.

Not drinkable at all. Not enjoyable. Not even alcoholic enough to choke down. There are much better beers out there.

danielharper, Jan 20, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -14.2%

Served in a standard pint, deep rust red body with thick fluffy head. Lots of lace.

Scent is virtually non exhistant.

Flavor is not what I remembered. Maybe I've just experienced so many full flavored beers since the last time I had this one, but I just remembered this being at least moderatly drinkable. Don't get me wrong, for an American macro it's one of the best that's widely available, I'll take it over Bud or standard Coors any day. If I'm out, and I want a beer and this is the best they have I won't complain. I guess that sums up the review.

HugoGrim, Jan 17, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

See: My review of New Castle Brown Ale

Killians is one of the great crossover beers. If you are drinking this then there may be hope for you.

There was a time where I thought this beer was exotic. Now having tried some great beer, I was curious how well this beer would hold up. One word: disappointing. Bland and tasteless.

But take heart. The fact that you are trying something different is a good sign. Please take that impulse and go experement with a better beer.

Start with Blue Moon.

maddamish, Jan 17, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

This was the beer that paved the way for my love of "darker beer". I rarely drink it anymore but felt a certain nostalgia and decided to review. When I do drink it, it's usually on special or the beer list reads - Bud, Bud Lite, Miller, Miller Lite, and Killian's - bingo Killian's. In my earlier days I remember this beer having a bold flavor compared to what I was mostly drinking (college party beers). The color of this beer is always consistent - a clear amber-red with a light to very little head and very little lacing. It has a good malty smell that is a bit deep but clean. I swear that I can detect some corn adjuncts in the smell however. The taste is still not bad, it's a sweet-to-bitter carmalized maltly flavor. Mouthfeel is thin however. It's a standard red lager, not near as good as a Yuengling but it's still a very drinkable beer. A funny note is I once saw this beer on an "import" list in a US restaurant.

TheEclecticGent, Jan 05, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +25.4%

This is one of my favorites but it's kind of falling. The more different beers I try, the more I think this one is kind of boring. It could have more taste, but its still better than anything I've had in the American Macro style. The appearance is always nice. A clear red that's slightly gold. Head is minimal to non-existent. Smell is pleasant too, mostly of carmalized malt. Taste is pretty good. Sweet malts up front, but the hops are very bland. That's not all bad, at least the hops aren't nasty, but even I think they need a stronger hop presence. Mouthfeel is ok. Not too thick or too thin, but carbonation could be a little weaker. Drinkability is good, Killian's always goes down easy. Its not great because the taste isn't so good that I still really want more after I've had 2. Not that drinking another one would be an effort either. Anyway, for your use instead of mine, the good things that can be said for Killian's are that it can be had anywhere, its never objectionable and pretty easy to drink, and the malts are pretty good. The down side is that its expensive and there are more flavorful beers out there for less. For me, its best attribute now is that its available so widely.

casualbeerman, Jan 04, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +9.9%

This is a beautiful beer with a deep, ruddy hue and a nice head. Only one pinkie deep but thick foam.

You know what you're in for when you see the peals of bubbles rapidly ascending throughout the glass: this beer is a little over carbonated. It was the first thing I noticed when it hit my tongue; a little *zing* that distracted from what I thought was, otherwise, a slightly sweet taste with just a back ed of bitterness that made for a tasty swallow, overall. It's not a super-strong taste, but definitely a step up from its macro-cousins.

hylton44, Jan 04, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours an inviting deep dark red, appearance is certainly the high point of this lager, smells grainy with a subtle sweetness to it. Fairly stronger tasting than expected given the aroma, overly carbonated as are the vast majority of mass-market beers of this variety. Overall not a bad session beer as far as mainstream beers go.

danielocean03, Jan 01, 2006
3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Nice reddish color with a good carbonation level. Good, somewhat sweet aroma-almost a moderate spiciness to it. Rather average malty flavor. Somewhat harsh and medicinal. Ok mouthfeel-again pretty average. A rather ho hum beer. I usually consider this the only Coors product I like but I think I'd rather have a Coor's Extra Gold if they still make it. Might be a good training wheel beer for the novice.

lackenhauser, Dec 28, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Wow, this is taking me back, to the smoky basements and frathouses of my salad days, when a six pack of this was the height of wealth and luxury. I remember how shocked I was when I found out Killian's wasn't actually an Irish beer and was brewed by Coors. This was obviously before I became aware of quality beer per se. Still I have some good memories of this beer and at least wanted to review it for posterity.
Pours an attractive copper color with a thirty second head and no lacing. Nose is clean and faint with some pleasant balance with hops extant.
The taste is malty with caramel flavors and a little bit of hoppy bitterness but not nearly enough for my taste. Overall, the taste is let down by a watery texture that leads to blandness in the aftertaste, which is a tad disappointing.
This is a bit unenlightening. I wish I could report that this was delicious and reminded my of my youth in a positive way but it actually reinforced the opinion that I was an uneducated, drunken slob who drank swill that was slickly marketed and packaged. This is all slightly depressing but I still have a soft spot for Killian's regardless.

daliandragon, Dec 26, 2005
2.15/5  rDev -29%

A clear bubbly amber, has a small head of foam on it. I don't get much out of the aroma. It smells like beer but that's about all I can say. The taste is very lacking. I don't detect any strong malt flavors, only a hint of hops. I think there is some flavor down deep in there trying to come out but its just not getting to me. It tastes crisp and dry though, but empty. Its thin and watery, but with decent carbonation. Overall just not enough flavor. It looks good but I wouldn't recommend it.

bennetj17, Dec 25, 2005
3.45/5  rDev +13.9%

My wife's go-to beer. We always have some in the house

Pours a nice deep red with a small head and some carbonation. Pretty stong taste for a mass-marketed beer with some smoky flavor. Carbonation evident in the mouth. Goes down smooth, not much aftertaste. Easy to drink several of these in a sitting.

aforbes10, Dec 21, 2005
3.28/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

appearance: The pour creates a thin white head that quickly dissipates to almost nothing. The beer is a medium light copper color.

smell: Smells of grain, some caramel, and a moderate hop aroma.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is pretty high and the body is a lighter medium.

taste: A moderate hop bitterness balances the caramel sweetness at first. Then the bitterness takes over. The aftertaste is astringent and bitter with an bad taste left in the mouth.

drinkability: not bad

Found this left in my fridge. Bottle dated Feb 26, not sure if that is the bottling or freshness date.

blackie, Dec 14, 2005
3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into my pint glass. Nice ruby red color with a vanilla colored 2 finger head. The head dissapears at a medium pace and leaves a thin film until its gone. It smells of malt and grain, also the same taste, malt and grain a little sweet. Mouthfeel is ok easy to drink. It's a pretty good beer.

KALIKGOLD, Dec 11, 2005
3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer is definately a very popular one at the bars, and when I'm stuck in some "dive" and they only have Bud, Bud lt. etc..., then I grab one of these.

This one poured a medium sized head, and a ruby color.

Smells of sweet malty flavor mostly, not any other noticeable aromas.

Tastes a little nutty and very little hops. Dominated mainly by the sweet malt. I think that when I've had this on tap that it had more hop flavor this, but I'll have to check that out next time I'm stuck in a dive bar.

metallistout, Dec 04, 2005
3.03/5  rDev 0%

Light bodied, nice bronze red color with a thin off white head.

Aroma is pretty thin, more grain than malt and no really detectable hops.

Taste is pretty much the same. A sweetish grain flavor with a sweet malt background. Just a hint of something slightly medicinal, drink as cold as possible.

Not bad, very drinkable, as it should be, and reasonably smooth..

whynot44, Dec 02, 2005
2.58/5  rDev -14.9%

This is basically on every tap in any restaurant that serves anything besides Bud & Miller. It always seems to have a musky smell & taste. I remember when I first tried this beer long ago, hoping that it would be better than the rest of the stuff that particular restaurant had on tap. It does have an aftertaste that lingers and doesn't impress me. The appearance is red as it mentions w/ a slight head. The appearance is probably the best thing about this beer and its still basically average.

beeroclock, Nov 26, 2005
2.33/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a sparse two finger head that maintains for about a minute then shrivels to a decent film that stays with the the beer throughout. Poured into a pint glass.

Color reminded me of the auburn haired Irish stereotype that i've come to know and love. The color lacked any personality compared to true Irish red beers I've had. A plan Jane amber/red cedar color, pretty see-through as well.

A beer that should be served god and cold other than the semi moldy flavor of this, I do detect a hint of pine intermingled with the hops. Whatever nuance of malt is hidden behind the ever present skunky taste of Killians that I have come to know and partially
love.

As long as this beer is cold, I could drink it all day.

scruffwhor, Nov 16, 2005
3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Nice foamy white head over a orange-red body. Decent head retention. Smells of sweet malt, notes of wine and diacetyl. Taste is mild and watery. Roasted malt, mild sweetness and bitterness, but overall very subdued. Crisp, light mouthfeel and lightly bitter aftertaste.

A head above those other macro lagers, but that's not saying much. There’s a little bit of malt floating around in here, but otherwise fairly light and watery.

Shovelbum, Nov 10, 2005
2.83/5  rDev -6.6%

On-tap @ the Texas Roadhouse in Cedar Falls, Iowa..

I asked the waitress what they had, and she said "pretty much everything", so I ordered the best thing I could spot on tap, which was Killian's Irish Red.

Dark burnt orange. Little head and nothing for lacing on the glass. Aroma is weak..weak malts and a clean grainy sweetness. Relatively smooth finish and decent drinkability. Has to be one of those "oh shit, there's nothing better on-tap?" beers for me.

hero27, Nov 09, 2005
3.03/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Poured a reddish orange color, clear, with a decent head that faded slowly into a thick lace that stayed the whole way down.

Aroma: Almost nonexistent, a faint malty aroma was all I got.

Taste: Sweet malt flavor with a slight hop bitterness up front, finishes the same.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, nothing special here.

Overall: If I have to pick between this and macro swill, I choose this. Otherwise it's nothing special. The first time I ever had a Killians I was in Italy, and didn't realize there was a difference between the American and European versions until I returned to the states. Obviously, the European one ("George Killians" I believe) is far superior.

FenwaySquid, Oct 25, 2005
3.53/5  rDev +16.5%

My wife keeps buying this stuff when I'm not around. She knows I'll drink it, she likes it, and it saves some money over the stuff she is unfamiliar with. She didn't realize until I told her yesterday that it is a Coor's product, so there apparently are a few people out there who are fooled into thinking it is a microbrew.

Last aside before the review: Outside of sips of my Dad's Black Label (yuck), this is the first beer I ever drank, as a college freshman (underaged), 20 years ago, in a pizza pub in a close-to-dry small Ohio town. There were about 5 beers that you could find on tap in town, and this was my favorite until we radical types started boycotting Coors for unfair labor practices. I don't recall the details of the protest, but I haven't intentionally bought a Coors product myself ever since (I did get fooled into thinking Blue Moon was a microbrew, once). That said, I sort of like Killian's, for a macro. If I were forced to choose a macro, and this was available, I'd probably go for it.

The review:

A-Color is typical for reds. Transparent amber, 1/4 inch head.
S-Odor has some fruit and malt character.
T-I'm a fan of sweet malts, and there is some sweetness here. Very little bitterness. I think both flavors could be turned up a notch or two. Again, for a macro, I think this is better than average.
M-Nothing remarkable.
D-Well, I like it enough to drink a few bottles back to back, for enjoyment, so that counts for something.

On the whole, there are many better malty reds out there, but 20 years after my first Killian's, I got to say that I still like it.

pweis909, Oct 23, 2005
3.43/5  rDev +13.2%

Low fermentation beer; soft amber color; similar to dos equis amber; high in malt content; taste bitter, harmonious, well ballanced; fragant and fruity smell, like a roses; try with german cuisine and cheese, serve in a pilsner glass, or direct from the bottle, good lacing; 85% recommended.

tesguino, Oct 21, 2005