George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 808 | Hads: 2,783
3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

Decent, but nothing that stands out. Color is ok and head is decent but leaves very quickly. not much of a nose, maybe a touch of malt. Flavor is ok, very light with a touch of sweet malt and an ever so light hint of hops. ood beer if there is not many other options and this one should be drank very cold... (308 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -16.7%

Although I don't have the beer in my hand, I've tried Killian's numerous times. I feel the need to express that this is far from a good representation of an amber lager. The notes are too bitter, the hops are too harsh, and the aftertaste is absolutely disgusting. Like puke in a bottle. There aren't many beers I review off the cuff like this, but don't be deceived - this is a macro adjunct lager, disguised with red dye and bitter hops added. Yeasty cornbread copper with a touch of faint maple syrup and antiseptic, ending bitter and dry. So distinct I remember what it tastes like. I'd take a Coors Original over their attempt at this "Red" Lager. It does have a great smell, but other than that the only pros are image and price.

I just reviewed Nordeast and I suggest you give that a try if it's available in your area. (827 characters)

3.05/5  rDev 0%

I am reviewing this simply because it was the first beer I ever ordered for myself, back in August of 1988. Back then, life was basically a macro brewery unless you had the wallet for imported beers.

I remember thinking it was cool to see a beer in a glass that wasn't yellow.

I remember thinking it actually smelled different. It also poured what now would be a decent head.

I remember thinking it had a different taste, in 1988 very few people knew that there were different species of hops…

I had no idea what mouthfeel was…it drank good enough to order another.

Overall, I know it is made by Pete, and I know it is not a true Irish anything…but it did one thing, it made me start looking beyond Bud and Coors.

Prosit! (734 characters)

3.19/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this brew's got no head, a mahogany brown (as in not red) body, and mostly adequate lacing.

I smell malts, but they smell a hair funky. I dunno...

Tastes like malts, yes. But not as roast-y and full as I would like it to be. This brew is not light; don't get me wrong. I just feel that it could use a touch more of ingredients.

Mouthfeel is generally clean and smooth. I actually want this to be a bit more viscous.

Overall a 3.25 for George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company. I would have rated this brew higher if it had more of a savory theme going on. To me, this is just a hair too crisp. I may buy this brew again. (738 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +27.2%

George Killian's Irish Red Brewed By Coors Brewing with an ABV of 4.9% This brew pours out a make dark amber color with a nice white head. This brew has a red tint to it, but it is not a true red. The smell is rich with grains, brew , and some sweetness. Nothing fancy about the smell of this brew. The taste is rich and smooth. There is nothing overpowering in this brew i t has a nice balance to it. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. There is no bad aftertaste to this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would get this brew again. (577 characters)

A decent, drinkable red. Just not what I would call the best option out there. Nothing offensive, but nothing extraordinary either. It's one of the more famous macro versions of the style.

Would drink again. Wouldn't seek out and purchase. (240 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a lager glass.

A - Reddish tea. One inch head leaves a foam the entire duration. Good lacing throughout.

S - Sweet malts, grain and barley with some hops.

T - Sweet malts and hops dominate with a clean finish.

M - Medium, a little creamy.

O - Damn good beer. I'll buy it whenever it's on sale (or not). (333 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +55.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

[Please note: Phenylthiocarbamide (PTC), discovered in 1931, "has the unusual property that it either tastes (salty), very bitter, or is virtually tasteless, depending on the genetic makeup of the taster" and the threshhold of the chemical's concentration and potency. "The ability to taste PTC is a dominant genetic trait, and the test to determine PTC sensitivity is commonly used in genetic tests on humans" and other primates. "The genetic correlation was so strong that it was used in paternity tests before the advent of DNA matching. "One study has found that non-smokers and those not habituated to coffee or tea have a statistically higher percentage of tasting PTC than the general population", which implies that many people who smoke tobacco and drink coffee cannot readily detect PTC and related compounds. PTC "does not occur in food, but related chemicals do", which accounts for our choices in food and drink. I am unable to taste PTC at all in low to moderately high concentrations. PTC is toxic in very high concentrations. "In 1976, a remarkable inverse relationship between taster status for PTC and for a bitter component of the fruit of the tree Antidesma bunius was discovered. Antidesma bunius is a species of fruit tree native to Southeast Asia and northern Australia. Its common names include Queensland-cherry, wild cherry, and currant tree." The fruit is edible and is commonly processed into a jam for consumption.] With the aforementioned information in mind, an affinity for one beer over another is unavoidable, almost genetic, so "to each his own" beer and opinion. Again, I have a very high threshold for PTC and related compounds.

When it comes to beer, I happen to have enjoyed Ba Moui Ba, a Vietnamese beer preserved with .01% formaldehyde. I also enjoyed German wheat beer (weizenbier), those containing yeast (hefeweizen), and the dark beer (dunklebier). I have very fond memories from my U.S.Air Force days spent in Colorado of Coors unpasturized. MillerCoors Icehouse is still very palatable to me. However, my all time favorite, either with food or all on its own, is the Coors "George Killian's" Irish Red beer. It is the only beer I have ever tasted that did not offend my palate, even while consuming food. I routinely stock other brands for guests, but I prefer "GK" to any other beer on the market. It may seem that I have a Coors "hang-up", but I assure you that I had no idea that Coors produced "GK" until I researched "GK" today. Other beer products taste bitter to me and leave an aftertaste.

I have consumed copious amounts of various foreign and domestic brewery products in my lifetime; especially during my career in the US Air Force from 1968-1972, the Canadian Forces (Reserve) 1980-1984, and the US Army from 1984-1998. I have spent twelve years in Canada, five years in Germany, two years in Korea, and a year in Viet-Nam, in addition to my years in the continental US, sampling beer. I do not usually drink more than two bottles or cans at one sitting. (No, that's not because I have to empty my bladder after every two beers and change seats at the bar upon returning.) I have not been thoroughly intoxicated since I had an OD on rum and cola in 1969. I view drinking alcoholic beverages as relaxing, pleasant, and even enjoyable. George Killian's Irish Red is my first choice, and if an establishment does not stock it I frequently order tonic water or I go elsewhere. (3,433 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear copper color with a 1/2 inch tan head with medium amounts of lacing.

S: Smells of wheat, grains, malts

T: Light flavor, tastes of wheat, grains, malts

M: Medium bodied, ample amounts of carbonation

O: Overall, it's an alright beer. It's run of the mill but hey that's a lot better than what the vast majority consumes. It's great for barbecues and it's not all that expensive. (398 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle poured into a glass.

A-3/4 in white head. Dark amber color, foggy, lots of carbonation

S-very small hint of fruitiness

T-Apple like flavors, I like the flavor but it's bland

M-medium bodied brew

O-nothing really noteworthy or special. Decent brew with a little bit of character (289 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Dark rust. A light cream colored head leaves a film and light lacing.

Aroma: Roasted barley, malts, faint toffee.

Taste: Roasted nuttiness, toasty grains. Just a touch of some toffee or caramel in the sweetness. Metallic overall.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Overall: Classic metallic cheapness on the overall taste, but this beer doesn't offend after that. (398 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a clear amber with a nice ruby cast. Low average head with moderate retention and lacing. Light malt focused nose which is a blend of biscuit and caramel. Medium bodied with a nice smooth texture. Normal carbonation level with associated effervescence on the finish. The well balanced flavor profile begins as the nose and flows to a pleasant bitterness. The finish effervesces nicely accentuating the hop flavor and leaving a tingle on the tongue. (454 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bottle date: MAY1914

Deep, copper-red body with a thick, foamy white head. Heavy bready aroma; brightly sweet smelling; some caramel notes. Light toasted grain flavor; somewhat bitter with a bit of astringency lingering at the finish. Fairly light feel, almost watery; dry finish.

Looks great and drinks so-so. There is some depth to the flavor and smell but nothing overly robust. (383 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Reddish amber color. Head poured to a finger and a half, dissipates in about a minute.

This smells adjuncty.

Light and grassy with a touch of light malt on the beginning. Gets a little spice and more grass and light garden notes toward the end.

Light bodied. Washes down easy. Good for a lawnmower would be my guesss. (321 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pleasantly surprised with this one!

I'm not one to go for a macro brewed beer but when the option was Killian's or Bud Lite, naturally I went with Killian's.
I can't accurately judge the look or smell, but the taste was not bad...dare I say I actually kind of enjoyed it and might even try one again. What I picked up was a smooth buttered popcorn taste from the malts with the slightest hint of a sweet undertone.
Overall I enjoyed it, but nothing special. (458 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Light brown amber color, light brown head.
Aroma: Light malty smell.
Flavor: Light toasted malt taste. Lightly hoppy, and slightly  harsh finish. Light bodied, slightly acidic carbonation.
Overall: Nothing special about this brew. The light body lends it to warm weather drinking. It has a decent light toasted flavor. The slightly  harsh body and finish prevents it's from becoming a better beer. (414 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -14.1%

Killan's Irish Red is a fair beer but not something I'd prefer to drink regularly. I've had a 12 pack in my fridge for roughly 6 months, and it gets a rotation ratio of maybe 1 to every 11th beer I have - let's put it that way.

Smell - Toasted amber grains with wild rice and hints of maple syrup. A very robust, sweetly aromatic beer.

Taste - Carbonation hits first with an immediate slap of bitterness. Floral notes follow with a watery toasted malted grain finish. Bitter notes remain on the palette a few seconds after swallowing.

Mouthfeel - Watery with a carbonated underbelly. Finish is watery with floral notes and bitter toasted malt. Not very impressive.

Overall - It's a beer I'd choose over Bud Light, Fat Tire, Goose Island, or Sam Adams Winter Lager but it's not a favorite of mine. Too watery and too many bitter off-notes left behind.

At $9.99/12 pack it's a plausible departure from the normal adjunct lager but its appeal wears off quickly and remains an unfortunate staple in my fridge. There's better beers out there for the price and for the category. (1,078 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +45.9%

It is now second nature to me, when I see Killian's Irish Red in a store I immediately purchase it. A straight forward, easy drinking toasted lager with a hint of caramel and spices. It pours red, like its name, but does lack in head. Regardless, this is my go-to, relaxing brew, for any night of the week. (306 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A: It pours a transparent red or brown color with about a finger head that disappears quickly to decent lacing. It almost looks like sweet tea.

S: Not a lot going on for the nose. Maybe slight scent of malt with an even more faint hint of hops and sweetness.

T: Malt and alcohol is pretty much the only taste out of this, maybe a slight hint of fruits. A bit bland but drinkable enough.

I don't think this a bad beer, but its not my first choice for sure. (459 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Tasted On: 08-27-2013
Freshness: Best by 11-04-2013
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, twist-cap
Glassware: Tulip pint
Purchased: 6-pack from Kroger

A: Dark copper color and clear, with a nice 3 fingers of head. Not much lacing but head retention is good.

S: Aromas are light, of biscuit and caramel malts.

T: Tastes semi-sweet of malts plus a light earthy bitterness. Balanced nicely

M: Moderately carbed, with a medium body. The finish is balanced between light sweetness and a light bitterness.

O: Overall a simple but pleasant beer. It doesn't blow you away with any outstanding qualities, but it doesn't offend either. I was pleasantly surprised... (655 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +0.3%

Had this years ago. Sampled 8/12/13 with a date of "MAY 2013" which I don't know if it was the born or use date as it didn't taste sour or bitter. Pours a pretty copper/bronze color with a very tiny head with just a little lacing when sipped. The aroma was of nothing special, just a light sweet malt smell. The taste was pretty much the same though it wasn't bad at all. Not a real harsh aftertaste either. Overall it was just ok. (431 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

DATE TASTED: August 3, 2013 ... GLASSWARE: Samuel Adams Boston Lager... OCCASION: watching Money Ball--and loving it!... APPEARANCE: handsome black and tan split-level body; thin white head that staggers on its reddish-brown base--looks inviting... AROMA: fragrant caramel malts breath a bready blast; sugary suggestions as well... PALATE: medium-to-light bodied with a swift, soft aftertaste--a red in the pattern of the many during its mid-90s deluge that we came of drinking age to at college...TASTE: strongly malted base forms the brunt of this old-time Hess Tavern offering; rather flat, rounded ops that profile as an ESB, though not enough hops surface to make an ale; a bit buttery too--but more in the feel than in the taste; the after drag is slightly warm and rough... OVERALL: a lagered, emasculated ESB that fulfills its March Ides duty but cannot demand much more on a cool summer night such as this...recently I toasted the anniversary of my wife and I by romantically recalling this beer set next to mine (a Honey Brown) on a college bar basement table; out of context, Killians looks nice in that oddly-necked bottle, but now under Coors' auspices, one can see what is and is not present in this beer... (1,221 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -4.3%

on-tap and in the bottle.

I hope I can start a rallying cry for days of yore on this beer... I realize the almighty $ and taking it in the shorts from the craft beers on sales required the mega-brewery to try something.. but I miss the good ole' flavor of Killian's Red... I gave it over a year, but I miss the old flavor.. the celery seed flavoring (in my opinion) was truly unique and quite refreshing... Can I start a movement to go back to the flavoring it was before?? Is this old coke V.new coke?? I have tolerated MGD64 going to 64 and I am brand loyal to miller/coors... no Bud. has touched my lips in 30+ years...

But it is time to bring back the previous taste.. PLEASE (682 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -30.8%

I was looking forward to tasting this beer after seeing it for awhile.
I will just say that i am not a fan of the taste, it to me taste like a high alcohol beverage with little to no body. I couldnt compare it to anything i had tried, but maybe a domestic pale lager? Thats just my 2 cents. (290 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #64 (May 2012):

LOOK: Clear dark brassy hue, creamy lacing

SMELL: Caramel, bready, slightly grassy, biscuity, clean

TASTE: Smooth, moderate-sized body, caramel, grass, biscuity, bread crust, modest hop bitterness, faint alcohol, faintly herbal, dry grainy finish

This doesn’t pretend to be anything less than a no-frills, easy-drinking lager. The brand has been somewhat reincarnated by recipe and packaging. The labeling is a bit more focused, and the beer seems to have a bit more life to it compared to its former self. (561 characters)

George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company