Join our email list →

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

American Amber / Red Lager | 4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 818 | Hads: 2,853
3.77/5  rDev +24%

Appearance: Pours a red/amber color with a very thin head that quickly dissipates
Smell: A brief peaty smokiness followed by caramel and malt
Flavor: Follows the nose with a dry finish, and a bready aftertaste that fades fast
Mouthfeel: Thin, but not as thin as a pilsner or light lager, follows a traditional red ale style
Overall: A good beer for the money, not one that I'd scoff at as a craft drinker, and one that a BMC drinker could also enjoy, would buy again.

3.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a thick off white head that falls moderately with some very light lacing. Head retention is good throughout the drink. Color is clear reddish-amber with moderate streaming carbonation.
Aroma: malt is quite dominate with whole wheat bread and caramel. There is an earthy hop presence in the background.
Mouthfeel: fairly light and frothy with a quick somewhat dry finish.
Flavor: caramel and a strong bread presence with a mild earthy hops in the finish.
Overall: a decent and drinkable brew.

3.64/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dad was a beer drinker. He was easy to buy for: beer. We'd always get him something interesting for his birthday like Tsing Tao or something with a strange name. This was one of his favorite beers. When he discovered this, he raved about it. At his 60th birthday party, he had a keg of this. That was a good party.

As the name suggests, this has a reddish tint in its color. It's a great lager, and it has a wide appeal. Sophisticated beer snobs won't look down their noses at it, and less experienced beer drinkers will love it. It's perfect for a birthday party. Times have changed, and our favorite beers of yesteryear just can't compete with today's full flavored beers, but this is still great stuff.

3.39/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

An amber colored lager that has a pretty good looking color to it and a nice aroma. Comes off clean and crisp after a sip which is to be exoected for a light bodied beer.

2.75/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance - 3/5
Pours a moderately dark orange-amber color. Extremely clear. No head presence. Can see an average amount of carbonation rising up at an average rate.

Smell - 3/5
Sweet maltiness, tastes like an amber ale. Maybe faint traces of breadiness or spiciness. Also a detectable alcohol smell.

Taste - 2.5/5
A deep syrupy malty sweetness, tastes of an amber ale. Not that great of a taste though. The taste is not very strong either, the beer is kinda bland.

Mouthfeel - 2.5/5
The beer is probably medium bodied, but it feels a lot thicker because it has a deep syrupy character to it. I don't really like the feel of this beer in my mouth. It is crisp and the carbonation is light.

Overall - 3/5
I remember having this beer before and liking it, so when I tried it this time, I was surprised at how unimpressive it was. I mean, I knew it was only a mediochre beer at best. But clearly my palate my changed. This beer was not that good. I would never go out and buy a 6-pack of it. I think I might even prefer a Miller/Bud lite over this.

3.29/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - clear reddish amber with a 1 finger white frothy head that dissipates quickly to a thin white layer. moderate to high carbonation. 3.5/5

S - toasted bread. malty. a hint of caramel. malty forward with an ever so slight hint of grassy hops. slight sourness. 3.25/5

T - grainy. cereal. grassy finish. lingering bitterness. biscuit. a hair buttery. flavor expresses more hops than aroma does. ever so slight hint of caramel. malt is somewhat muted compared to aroma. hint of green apple. 3.25/5

M - some carbonation burn. finishes dry. medium bodied. 3.5/5

O - decent macro offering. taste does not necessarily reflect the aroma. 3.25/5

3.22/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On-tap at Phebe's Tavern & Grill, New York, NY

A: The beer is crystal clear amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a short light beige head that hardly died down.
S: Light aromas of sweet toasted and caramel malts are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and is mostly dominated by malty flavors—toasted matls and bits of caramel sweetness stand out in particular. No bitterness is perceptible, but there is enough hops to prevent this from being overly sweet.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied, smooth and a little clean on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink. While it doesn't have much in the way of interesting flavors, it does have a pleasant mouthfeel.

3.73/5  rDev +22.7%

Appearance: Amber color with no visible carbonation. Head about 1 finger thick, laces the glass the whole way down

Smell: Light malty aroma.

Taste: Wheat/grain taste, sweet maltness, light caramel, little spice

Mouthfeel: Very thin, water like

Overall: This beer is okay, its good I guess just with it was more. I would give it a C.

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours clear reddish copper color with a thick foamy 2 finger beige head that was full of bubbles and faded slowly, leaving good foamy lacing coating the sides and rings as it went down. Lots of active carbonation with visible bubbles racing up the brew.

Smells of toasted grains, caramel, wet bread dough, corn, wheat, mild fruit and processed carbs like a combo of Wonder Bread and cardboard. Aroma is on the dull side with no hop presence to speak of and definite whiffs of macro ingredients. A severe drop off in quality after the impressive pour from the bottle.

Tastes very similar to the nose, with toasted grains, light caramel, wet bread dough, a fruit sweetness, wheat, yeast or cardboard and a mix of malty accents that seem earthy or like dirt fell in the beer. The lack of any sort of hop flavor made it quite boring and unbalanced, sadly erasing my fond memories of enjoying this when it first came out while I was in college.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, with light carbonation, a lighter body and a slightly bitter grainy finish. I wanted to like it more for the sake of nostalgia, but this falls just short of average. After the pour tonight it was all down hill. I’d grab an Amstel or Miller over this if a place only served macro beer.

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

Decent, but nothing that stands out. Color is ok and head is decent but leaves very quickly. not much of a nose, maybe a touch of malt. Flavor is ok, very light with a touch of sweet malt and an ever so light hint of hops. ood beer if there is not many other options and this one should be drank very cold...

3.46/5  rDev +13.8%

It was the summer of 98 and before heading back to school me and couple of friends decided to make one last road trip- we were hell bent on catching a Rockies game in Denver and after making it there and enjoying the game we were hell bent on making another memory- touring the Coors brewing facility in Golden. We'd already been drinking, we had no business being there we didn't give a shit but we wanted the free brews at the end of the tour-

My friend wasn't 21 and rolled up on the lady and said he wanted one. She said,"one what?" He said that red one. She said,"George Killian's Red?" He said Yup. We got 5.

It's Coors. It's a Killian's red. Is supposed to be shitty but to me it's stuck w a dang good story so I consider the taste and overall fantastic.

3.05/5  rDev +0.3%

I am reviewing this simply because it was the first beer I ever ordered for myself, back in August of 1988. Back then, life was basically a macro brewery unless you had the wallet for imported beers.

I remember thinking it was cool to see a beer in a glass that wasn't yellow.

I remember thinking it actually smelled different. It also poured what now would be a decent head.

I remember thinking it had a different taste, in 1988 very few people knew that there were different species of hops…

I had no idea what mouthfeel was…it drank good enough to order another.

Overall, I know it is made by Pete, and I know it is not a true Irish anything…but it did one thing, it made me start looking beyond Bud and Coors.

Prosit!

3.19/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this brew's got no head, a mahogany brown (as in not red) body, and mostly adequate lacing.

I smell malts, but they smell a hair funky. I dunno...

Tastes like malts, yes. But not as roast-y and full as I would like it to be. This brew is not light; don't get me wrong. I just feel that it could use a touch more of ingredients.

Mouthfeel is generally clean and smooth. I actually want this to be a bit more viscous.

Overall a 3.25 for George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company. I would have rated this brew higher if it had more of a savory theme going on. To me, this is just a hair too crisp. I may buy this brew again.

3.88/5  rDev +27.6%

George Killian's Irish Red Brewed By Coors Brewing with an ABV of 4.9% This brew pours out a make dark amber color with a nice white head. This brew has a red tint to it, but it is not a true red. The smell is rich with grains, brew , and some sweetness. Nothing fancy about the smell of this brew. The taste is rich and smooth. There is nothing overpowering in this brew i t has a nice balance to it. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. There is no bad aftertaste to this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would get this brew again.

2.75/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A decent, drinkable red. Just not what I would call the best option out there. Nothing offensive, but nothing extraordinary either. It's one of the more famous macro versions of the style.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: No

3.8/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a lager glass.

A - Reddish tea. One inch head leaves a foam the entire duration. Good lacing throughout.

S - Sweet malts, grain and barley with some hops.

T - Sweet malts and hops dominate with a clean finish.

M - Medium, a little creamy.

O - Damn good beer. I'll buy it whenever it's on sale (or not).

4.75/5  rDev +56.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

[Please note: Phenylthiocarbamide (PTC), discovered in 1931, "has the unusual property that it either tastes (salty), very bitter, or is virtually tasteless, depending on the genetic makeup of the taster" and the threshhold of the chemical's concentration and potency. "The ability to taste PTC is a dominant genetic trait, and the test to determine PTC sensitivity is commonly used in genetic tests on humans" and other primates. "The genetic correlation was so strong that it was used in paternity tests before the advent of DNA matching. "One study has found that non-smokers and those not habituated to coffee or tea have a statistically higher percentage of tasting PTC than the general population", which implies that many people who smoke tobacco and drink coffee cannot readily detect PTC and related compounds. PTC "does not occur in food, but related chemicals do", which accounts for our choices in food and drink. I am unable to taste PTC at all in low to moderately high concentrations. PTC is toxic in very high concentrations. "In 1976, a remarkable inverse relationship between taster status for PTC and for a bitter component of the fruit of the tree Antidesma bunius was discovered. Antidesma bunius is a species of fruit tree native to Southeast Asia and northern Australia. Its common names include Queensland-cherry, wild cherry, and currant tree." The fruit is edible and is commonly processed into a jam for consumption.] With the aforementioned information in mind, an affinity for one beer over another is unavoidable, almost genetic, so "to each his own" beer and opinion. Again, I have a very high threshold for PTC and related compounds.

When it comes to beer, I happen to have enjoyed Ba Moui Ba, a Vietnamese beer preserved with .01% formaldehyde. I also enjoyed German wheat beer (weizenbier), those containing yeast (hefeweizen), and the dark beer (dunklebier). I have very fond memories from my U.S.Air Force days spent in Colorado of Coors unpasturized. MillerCoors Icehouse is still very palatable to me. However, my all time favorite, either with food or all on its own, is the Coors "George Killian's" Irish Red beer. It is the only beer I have ever tasted that did not offend my palate, even while consuming food. I routinely stock other brands for guests, but I prefer "GK" to any other beer on the market. It may seem that I have a Coors "hang-up", but I assure you that I had no idea that Coors produced "GK" until I researched "GK" today. Other beer products taste bitter to me and leave an aftertaste.

I have consumed copious amounts of various foreign and domestic brewery products in my lifetime; especially during my career in the US Air Force from 1968-1972, the Canadian Forces (Reserve) 1980-1984, and the US Army from 1984-1998. I have spent twelve years in Canada, five years in Germany, two years in Korea, and a year in Viet-Nam, in addition to my years in the continental US, sampling beer. I do not usually drink more than two bottles or cans at one sitting. (No, that's not because I have to empty my bladder after every two beers and change seats at the bar upon returning.) I have not been thoroughly intoxicated since I had an OD on rum and cola in 1969. I view drinking alcoholic beverages as relaxing, pleasant, and even enjoyable. George Killian's Irish Red is my first choice, and if an establishment does not stock it I frequently order tonic water or I go elsewhere.

3.54/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear copper color with a 1/2 inch tan head with medium amounts of lacing.

S: Smells of wheat, grains, malts

T: Light flavor, tastes of wheat, grains, malts

M: Medium bodied, ample amounts of carbonation

O: Overall, it's an alright beer. It's run of the mill but hey that's a lot better than what the vast majority consumes. It's great for barbecues and it's not all that expensive.

3.43/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle poured into a glass.

A-3/4 in white head. Dark amber color, foggy, lots of carbonation

S-very small hint of fruitiness

T-Apple like flavors, I like the flavor but it's bland

M-medium bodied brew

O-nothing really noteworthy or special. Decent brew with a little bit of character

3.11/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Dark rust. A light cream colored head leaves a film and light lacing.

Aroma: Roasted barley, malts, faint toffee.

Taste: Roasted nuttiness, toasty grains. Just a touch of some toffee or caramel in the sweetness. Metallic overall.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Overall: Classic metallic cheapness on the overall taste, but this beer doesn't offend after that.

3.45/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a clear amber with a nice ruby cast. Low average head with moderate retention and lacing. Light malt focused nose which is a blend of biscuit and caramel. Medium bodied with a nice smooth texture. Normal carbonation level with associated effervescence on the finish. The well balanced flavor profile begins as the nose and flows to a pleasant bitterness. The finish effervesces nicely accentuating the hop flavor and leaving a tingle on the tongue.

3.24/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bottle date: MAY1914

Deep, copper-red body with a thick, foamy white head. Heavy bready aroma; brightly sweet smelling; some caramel notes. Light toasted grain flavor; somewhat bitter with a bit of astringency lingering at the finish. Fairly light feel, almost watery; dry finish.

Looks great and drinks so-so. There is some depth to the flavor and smell but nothing overly robust.

3.21/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Reddish amber color. Head poured to a finger and a half, dissipates in about a minute.

This smells adjuncty.

Light and grassy with a touch of light malt on the beginning. Gets a little spice and more grass and light garden notes toward the end.

Light bodied. Washes down easy. Good for a lawnmower would be my guesss.

3.44/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pleasantly surprised with this one!

I'm not one to go for a macro brewed beer but when the option was Killian's or Bud Lite, naturally I went with Killian's.
I can't accurately judge the look or smell, but the taste was not bad...dare I say I actually kind of enjoyed it and might even try one again. What I picked up was a smooth buttered popcorn taste from the malts with the slightest hint of a sweet undertone.
Overall I enjoyed it, but nothing special.

2.67/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Light brown amber color, light brown head.
Aroma: Light malty smell.
Flavor: Light toasted malt taste. Lightly hoppy, and slightly  harsh finish. Light bodied, slightly acidic carbonation.
Overall: Nothing special about this brew. The light body lends it to warm weather drinking. It has a decent light toasted flavor. The slightly  harsh body and finish prevents it's from becoming a better beer.

George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company