George Killian's Irish Red - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of George Killian's Irish Red Alström Bros
Reviews: 808 | Hads: 2,784
2.98/5  rDev -2.3%

Not a favorite of mine, but something that I'll pick up when it goes on sale every month. A decent red ale, not quite as good as Red Oak but better than any of Coors' other offerings. Pours with very little head, decent golden brown appearance, a bit harsh but none of the "metallic" taste that some reviewers complain about. (325 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +0.3%

A: The red color when served on tap matched the name and is very visually appealing.

S: Not a lot going on, very light wisps of grain but minimal.

T: Nice toasted malt base which matches the red color. Almost no hop presence in either flavor or bitterness which may have overpowered this mellow beer anyways.

M: Smooth and clean, traditional of mass produced beers but still has great flavor/drinkability.

O: For a widespread domestic brew Killian's Irish Red has a lot of flavor. Easy to find both on tap and in bottles. It's hard to beat the taste for the price if you're in the mood for a smooth red ale. (611 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured this into a mug.

Nothing really stands out with this beer one way or the other.

Look: It has an interesting color that I haven't seen elsewhere. The lacing is minimal, and the one finger head disappeared fairly quickly.

Smell: Not much of anything. A bit of a malty smell, and a touch of honey. What little aroma there was, dropped off quickly.

Taste: Again, not too much. A bit of malt, maybe a slight bread tinge, but it's not necessarily bad. It's just not great.

Feel: A weird combo of thick and light. I could drink this on a hot day, and at the same time in the dead of winter. (A real winter, not a Florida winter).

Overall: Decent enough. When I feel like throwing the macros a bone, I could see myself picking this up again. Coors generally makes me want to come back every once in a great while, and this is another on the list where I'll go "Sure, why not." (881 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I used to really like this beer, and I mean like just last year. I recently bought a case of bottles and when I got home I dropped a few bottles on the floor while loading up the 'fridge. Sad day, to spill your beer, but the smell got to me immediately. While cleaning up the mess I got so tired of the smell that I can't really enjoy drinking it any more. I just drank another bottle of the 3 or 4 I have left since a few months ago. Since then I've finished numerous other beers but never bought another Killian's. Oh, well, it's really not that good a beer, anyway, so no great loss.

It's a little watery and unpleasantly bitter sometimes, but good with a pizza if you don't want to spend a lot on a half-decent brew. It's better than Pabst by a long shot, and you can often find it on sale. Don't be a dweeb and bring it to other peoples' parties. Let somebody else be that guy/girl. If you like amber beers, just get Bass Ale or something similar, they're basic but good. Even Blue Moon is better. You want a really nice Amber beer? Palm Speciale is a good pale ale that isn't cheap or pretentious either. It doesn't review well on this site, for some reason, but if you're faced with Killian's or Palm (like we have them one section apart at ABC Liquor here in town), go with Palm. Killian's is also kinda skunky.

End of rant. (1,336 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

George Killian's Irish Red - a beer I now have only had three times. The first time was in the rathskeller of my college, then about ten years later after I got married and had a few kids, then just recently, another ten years later, with two kids out of high school and one in college. Why I wait so long between tries now surprises me...

The beers pours a dark brown color with a slight tinge of red - nothing overly impressive to the eyes. But the head it pours is amazing, thick and with a touch of red as well, it has good staying power and the best lacing I've seen in awhile. The smell is nothing to terribly to right about - I smell some floral mixture of some sort. Just the right amount of carbonation for the mouthfeel, but a bit watery for such as strong tasting beer. I did notice hints of cinnamon and orange (strangely enough). Overall, a good beer to have around, especially if you've got folks over who are a bit nervous to try unknown craft brews. (966 characters)

George Killian's Irish Red

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an English dimpled pint glass. Served chilled... I tell ya, this was living it up during my college years. This or maybe Newcastle.

A) I have to say this is red. There was about a finger of white foam, which quickly dissipated. No lacing...

S) Toasted grains, faint caramel, and a little grass.

T) Light roasted malt, bready, more bitterness than I recall. Finishes very grassy.

M) Light bodied with good amount of carbonation. Crisp, and somewhat refreshing. Dry finish...

O) I haven't had a Killian's in like 15 years, and clearly I haven't been missing much. I can't say I will be revisiting this anytime soon. (679 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a crystal clear medium amber in color with moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some reddish brown highlights. The beer has a half finger tall creamy light tan head that slowly reduces to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer with a slightly thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of toasted malts with just a touch of burnt toast. Light hints of earthy bittering hops and a touch of bready malts. Very light notes of light fruits - green apple in particular.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of toasted malts with some light notes of burnt toast and just a hint of breadiness. There are very light hints of caramel sweetness followed by some bitterness which lingers but not for too long.

M: Just heavier than light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: Of all the offerings I have tried from Coors, this is one of the better ones that I have tried - there is also a certain nostalgia factor for this beer as I drank quite a bit of this when in college in the early 90s and this was better than the average BMC available (man, craft beer has come a long way). Easy to drink but definitely not one I would go searching out in the future. (1,279 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

this is another one of those beers that used to be pretty great and has changed in the corporate setting. still though, its the best thing coming out of coors, and still has a soft spot in my heart harkening back to my youth. pours a nice burnt brick red color with a fluffy tan head. it used to smell a little smoky amongst the dry red malts, but now it smells more like an adjunct heavy brew and they smoke is almost gone. its go an oatmeal sort of heavy complexion to it, and the sweetness is sort of familiar too, the finish is long and caramel centered. I don't know why this beer was changed, the original brew was really pretty good, but its become another factory beer casualty. better body than most though, and the carbonation is agreeable. I can still drink a 6er of these and enjoy them all, but its not what it used to be. (835 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance - Pours crystal clear amber with an off-white finger head. Fair retention.

Smell - Bready, with sweet caramel notes.

Taste - Moderate caramel sweetness to start before a strong grainy character hits mid-taste and throughout. Touches on honey that builds toward the finish, becoming near cloying in sweetness, as hops are virtually nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel - Medium in body, with low to moderate carbonation. Maltiness shows in the body. Goes done easy enough.

Overall - Drinkable, but not necessarily enjoyable. Nothing I'd care to drink again unless my options were severely limited. (606 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +59%

I usually have this in a bottle, but some restaurants in town have this on tap. The bottle is good but the tap is my review:
So damn good tasting. This is a dinner beer. Steak or wings go well with this darker beer. Lots of carmelly roasted smell. Roasted something when tasting, can't quite put my finger on it but damn it's good. This was my first venture into beer that wasn't piss yellow. Very good overall, would recommend starting here before you venture into craft beer. A friend did so for me and I thought it was a nice transition into some new stuff from your boring Bud Light. (587 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -21.6%

This is a very average beer.

The best thing going for this beer is the color. It has a red, amber color to it with a decent white head.

Not much smell. A little bit of carmel.

I taste a little carmel and some sweet malts.

It had a medium body and carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall - Tasted with a sampler among other higher quality, stronger beers. Tasted weak in comparison. (379 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -1%

This is a very average beer.

The best thing going for this beer is the appearance. It has a red, amber color to it with a decent white head.

Not much smell. A little bit of carmel.

I taste a little carmel and some sweet malts.

It had a medium body and carbonation. Dry finish.

It's very average. I didn't write a lot about taste, because there was much. (358 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +7.5%

Served on tap in a pint glass

Appearance – As the name implies the brew is served a clear dark red/mahogany color with a one finger off white head. The head fades relatively quickly leaving only a very light level of lacing.

Smell – The aroma is a mix of roasted malt, caramel, as well as a brown sugar sweet smell. Mixed with these smells is a light nut.

Taste – The taste starts out heaviest of a caramel sweetness mixed with a lighter roasted malt flavor. As the taste advances the roasted flavors become slightly more pronounced, but never gain that much flavor, while a corn and brown sugar sweetness take mover the sweeter flavors from the initial caramel taste. A light nuttiness and a odd earthy hop flavor come to the tongue at the very end.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer was average in terms of creaminess as well as carbonation. The body and carbonation were fitting for making a very easy drinking session brew.

Overall – While a little on the sweet side with some transitions that are a bit abrupt, overall there was nothing off putting about the brew and it was quite easy drinking and sessionable. (1,130 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +1%

A- pours clear with bright amber-ruby color and a pretty good size head and decent retention.

S- toasted grain, faint caramel, otherwise pretty clean and simple

T- follows the aromas of toasted grain with just a bit of malt sweetness. Finishes clean and dry with barely any trace of hop and some more toasted grains.

M- light-med body, medium carbonation, finishes smooth

O- I drank this a bit when I was first getting into beer, it's certainly better than the other micro options out there, but its very simple and decent at best. It is however a good value at less than $6/6pack. (585 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -23%

When I was in college, Killians was a beer that made me feel like I had arrived. In 25 years things have changed. Gone is the burnt red coloring, now its an orangish red. Gone are the burnt aromas, now is the metallic sweetness of a cheap beer. Gone are the dry burnt feelings of a tasteful Irish Red. I understand when a beer is changed to appeal to the masses, certainly cost is a determinant, but I feel violated when a beer is assaulted this way. (450 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -33.8%

12oz bottle, Boulevard tulip, best by 12/31/12.

Dark amber liquid with perfect clarity. Definitely a good head for a macro product with a little bit of stick and hints of tan.

At first it's yawningly clean cracker and dry. A little swirl gets me a small layer of fruitiness. Shortbread is a generous description.

Distressingly similar to the aroma; a bit of fruity, sweet malt overlays about as neutral a base as one could get.

It's light and bubbly, but not too much. It's acceptably average.

I was expecting something just a notch above macro, but I honestly think I would prefer to just go with the fizzy stuff if faced with a choice between, say, PBR, and this. This is a macro with a bit of sickening sweetness added. (730 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Pours a clear reddish-brown with a two-finger, off-white, sea foam like head. Leaves just a few spots of lacing.

S - Dextrin malt sugars, grains, hint of caramel malt.

T - Taste follows the nose, with a cloying dextrin malt forward. Hops are bland and mild and very much in the background. Finish gains a strange, coppery astringency and kind of a stale malt pasty taste. I don't remember this beer being this cloyingly sweet when I had it years ago? Sure enough, looks like they changed the recipie. Not for the better.

M - Manages to be watery and slightly syrupy at the same time. Quite a feat. Also slightly undercarbonated, as it seemed to "go flat" during it's time in my glass. Epic fail.

O - Amber ale for the masses. Bland, meek, and inoffensive. Tastes like a "red adjunct" lager. (which is exactly what it is, I guess) Only drank this because someone left one in my fridge. Stay away. (945 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I first had this about a year after decided I liked beer. Mostly used to BMC beers, I remember being of the belief it was a micro-brew. It was my gateway to darker stuff, and for that, I thank it.

Appearance- Poured into a standard pint glass, it has an amber hue, with a half finger of head which disappeared almost instantly. Not the prettiest thing to look at (pretty much no head at all), but at least it has some nice color.

Smell- There isn't much to smell. It's not repulsive, but not much of any smell really. Slight metallic odor (only slight).

Taste- The initial taste is semi-rich, and a little nutty. Its quite alright. Definitely flavorful compared to a domestic, macro light beer.

Mouthfeel- Carbonation may be a little more than it needs. Feels fine though. Nothing terrible to report.

Overall- I dig this stuff. If you're on a budget, its a decent go-to. It's also often on tap for cheaper than some other beers, and makes a nice alternative to having to drink lesser BMC stuff if you don't have much to spend. Not what I'm going for if money is no object (unless its a kegger). (1,104 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance:
Deep amber color, clear. Good amount of carbonation rising up. Small frothy head.

Aroma:
Barley malts, a little toasted, crisp, clean.

Tasted:
Toasted malts, caramel, nutty, a little hint of honey, slight hop bitterness towards the finish. Light bodied, crisp, dry, well carbonated. (297 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz bottle served in a Sam Adams Lager glass.

Reddish mahogany color; clear; a weak beige head that leaves little lacing.

Lighter aroma than taste: too light. The flavor [3.25] is decent, although rather simple, featuring caramel medium roast malt. Enough hops to balance the sweetness.

M: less smooth and more watery than if should be, and too astringent. {2.5}

O: An acceptable and low-price choice for times when the beer selection is weak. (452 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Killian's Irish Red is nothing to write home about, but it's also nothing to shake a stick at.

A standard pour yields a dark red body with an off-white head. The head is fuller than expected, but dies quickly. The beautiful claret body ought to be translucent, but the throng of bubbles clinging to the glass prevent me from appreciating the beer's visual characteristics.

Toasted malt dominates the nose: Aromas of butterscotch and toffee are palpable if subdued. There is also a very faint tinny smell.

The first sip tosses up mild malty richness. This richness continues to reign over the flavor until the last couple of sips, which also suggest faint notes of bittering hops. The beer's feels nice on the palate. It is a bit too gassy at first, then finds a nice balance, then falls flat.

Sweet, malty, and drinkable, Killian's Irish red is a cut above most of Coors Brewing Company's offerings. I enjoyed this beer, though I probably wouldn't drink it again unless it were given to me. (995 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Very red, not even really much amber color, two fingers of head that dissipates quickly but leaves a lot of pretty lacing. Medium carbonation.

S - The worst thing about this beer. Dirt? Mold? Corn? Kinda like much-worse American macros, actually.

T - The taste is far different from the smell. Very sweet and easy. Chocolate and toast, honey and MAYBE coffee, but less so.

M - More creamy than anything else. Enough carbonation, and doesn't hang in your mouth for an unattractive amount of time.

O - For being one of those beers that you think is a craft/microbrew before you know what those actually are, this ain't half bad, and there's all kinds of things I'd choose this over. It should also be noted that there is a massive difference in overall goodness when you compare Killian's out of a bottle vs. out of a tap. Tap wins almost every time. (897 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -8.2%

This is a very simple, basic beer that really is a poor imitation of an Irish ale.

Copper, it has a small off-white head soon thinning to thin foamy ring.

Aroma is slightly caramelised, lightly toasty grain, vague hint of orange, grass. It's a bit like a caramelly pale lager.

Taste is light, simple, sweetish toasty barley (faintly caramelly), vague, thin grassy-peppery hop bitterness lurking under the sweetness. Overall, it is simple, thin, vague, and rather bland, but decent enough. (491 characters)

Pretty average red lager. Obvious red amber color with big carbonation. Nice head though.
Smells toasty and sweet and a little malty. Pretty common amber smell. Taste is very unimposing and simple. Sweet and malty with just a bit of bitterness at the end. The toasted malt is the dominant character here. This beer is fine, but it does taste a little too mass produced. I'd drink it again, but never as a first choice. (418 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a very attractive, clean, clear brownish red color. An aggressive pour yielded an inch and a half of light tan head that had OK retention that dissipated to a thin cap and had no lacing.

The aroma had a very low scent. Nothing bad, but nothing standing out either. Basically a bland "beer" smell. The flavors were also kinda meh, some basic malts, combined with just a touch of hoppiness, makes for a bland brew.

The body was OK, fairly typical for the style, but a lingering stickiness cost a half point. Drinkability was good, the beer went down smooth and easy, but with such an overall blandness, why bother. Worth having if there are no craft options available. (708 characters)

George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company