Block Party - Karben4 Brewing

Karben4 Brewing visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: Klimm on 04-14-2013

It's not too too often that I rate, but I feel I have to do Block Party justice. This is, admittedly, the best beer I have ever had. It is my Kubrick of beers; although it fits into the comfortable category of "amber," Block Party is completely inimitable, with maybe a couple of very distant cousins (one of which I'll allude to). I feel it gets overshadowed in America's best beer state.

A: Pours a deep copper. Head fizzles and sort of diminishes into a thin rim of lacing. But it's the color that really amazes me. I just love it. A sharp, translucent reddish gold. Like a late autumn sunset.

S: Much, much, much more pungent than other ambers. The first thing I think of whenever I get a whiff of Block Party is yam/sweet potato. Cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel, and Swiss Miss are right there too. Finally, there's a little bit of Belgian-style fruitiness. It's hard to tell whether it's more bitter or sweet. Just a perfect balance of hop and malt.

T: One way of describing it is: imagine infusing a Christmas Ale with some sugar-roasted nuts. I feel like this is what Fat Tire wanted to achieve (and don't get me wrong, I do love me some Fat Tire, but it's not this). Block Party doesn't necessarily follow the nose, interestingly. To be sure, the bitterness is there, and the caramel and cocoa certainly influence the taste. But this bitterness is balanced more by a mild sourness than a mild sweetness, as the smell would lead you to believe. This is where the beer is so unique: Imagine lemon juice and chickory. Weird, right? Well taste this and there you have it. It's as if malt and hop are both there, but also neither there. Absolutely delicious. It is easy to drink entire six packs of these and still wanting more.

M: The bitterness and sweetness coalesce and just cling to the back of the throat. It's almost stout or porter-like in its ubiquity on the roof of the mouth. I wouldn't necessarily say the finish is dry, but it's certainly refreshing and palatable.

O: I get that I have gushed over this enough. Maybe I will have a better beer in my life, but I will definitely not have a better amber. So totally unlike anything I've tasted, and in an odd way familiar. Wisconsin has its share of legendary brews--New Glarus Spotted Cow, Ale Asylum Hopalicious, Central Waters Illumination, Capital Kolsch, even Karben4's own Fantasy Factory--but this eclipses these selections in my opinion. If you find yourself in Wisconsin and you are looking for a beer that is not only delicious, but is totally one-of-a-kind, you have to get a pint or a sixpack of this.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a darker reddish amber color with off-white head. Sweet caramel malt, biscuit, and just a slight grassy hoppy piney type note on the nose; follows onto the palate. Finishes with some more malt, and a toasted note.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazed amber with a thin off-white head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of caramel, some cocoa, some tea-like spice in the back.

The taste is of caramel is light cocoa, some brown sugar with a balancing spicy hop touch in the finish.

It is a light, smooth amber ale with a nice malt character. Just enough hops to balance the sweetness. A solid choice for a "block party".

3.96/5  rDev +6.2%

12oz. Bottle

Thanks goes out to jwc215 (Joe) for sending me this one, much appreciated.

Poured into a pint glass, a very nice cloudy dark amber color, with some nice carbonation, which leaves a small creamy/white head, with some nice sticky lacing and a few small islands in the middle of the glass. The nose is slightly hoppy with a very nice touch of malts. A slightly nice chocolate note. The taste is very nice, slightly hoppy, malty, with some nice chocolate note. Medium body with a nice very slight dry/bitter finish. Overall a very tasty Amber Ale. A nice thirst quencher on a hot day. Thanks Joe!

3.6/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle of the first bottling run in 2015. Served in a snifter 4/13/2015.

A- Dark amber bodied, two finger thick, effervescent white head, good retention, a fair amount of lacing.

S- Grainy caramel, toffee, a bit of grassy, floral and even a hint of citrus.

F- Very grainy caramel accompanied by a fair amount of floral and citrus. A little peppery kick to it, which I think is predominantly floral in character.

M- Medium bodied, not insubstantial, but not thick or syrupy either, which is nice. Good carbonation, not that hard to drink.

O- Decent for the style, nothing impressive. Nice balance between the malt and the hops.

3.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First beer from Karben4 I found in town. Poured on tap at Tornado Room.

A: Hazy red. Very translucent. The only light in this place was a candle on our table though.

S: Muted hops, a little sweetness, maybe vanilla.

T: Follows the smell. There's nothing I wouldn't expect from a good amber ale.

M: Light, good carbonation.

O: Very drinkable, good flavors. Went down quickly! I would definitely recommend this to lighter beer drinkers. Looking forward to more from this brewery!

Block Party from Karben4 Brewing
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.