Microbrew Invitational

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Karben4 Brewing
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Gotti311 on 04-30-2013

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 7
2.9/5  rDev -16.9%

I'll be honest: great attempt but it just didn't work for me personally. The base beer is a special one in itself but the aging killed any hop character and left the beer tepid, flat, and virtually tasteless save for aromatics derived from the gin barrel. Kudos to Karben4 for attempting this as its something I would have liked to do from a homebrewing standpoint but i think a larger, burlier beer would have stood up to the barrel better than the one they chose. From what i understand, this beer isn't nearly at the percent advertised in BA; pretty sure its just barrel aged SamuRye which is between 5-6.5%.

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I was pretty blown away by how great that beer was, despite my dislike of gin. I have had IPAs that have been barrel aged (whiskey and bourbon), but the hops always get muted. The piney-ness of the gin plays so well with the hops and actually lets them shine through also. The hops are so bright along with the presence of the gin on the nose.

Most of the mouth is pretty heavy on the gin. It definitely is not warming and I see that as a good thing with this beer. The 10% ABV is completely hidden. My one minor critique is that I wish this beer had a bit more carbonation, but that is such a tricky thing to play with on beers like this.

The spiciness of the rye makes itself known at the end which is great for breaking this beer up. Needed that extra something in there to round out the finish.

Seriously, fantastic work on this beer.

SamuRye (Gin Barrel Aged) from Karben4 Brewing
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.