2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Oaktober - Karben4 Brewing

Oaktober
No picture uploaded.

Karben4 Brewing visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  ABV ?

This ale, fermented at near-lager temperatures, is an attempt to capture that magic in a glass. Soft toffee notes are wrapped up in a blanket of flavors of fresh baked bread. The whole experience is accented with a pleasant and subtle woodsy experience provided by a whiskey-soaked blend of French and American oak.

(Beer added by: Ri0 on 09-24-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 9 | Reviews: 3 | Show All Ratings:
lunarbrew

Wisconsin

3.88/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

As one might expect, enjoyed this on premise. Beer poured clear (dark) amber. Fine to no lacing. Not much head.

It smells malty and rich. Although the oak is not prominent, it adds some complexity to the beer. There is definitely some vanilla and caramel/toffee in the nose. I notice a muted noble hop presence. The hop character is a little weak and hard to define.

This is a sweet beer with a decent amount of complexity for an oktoberfest. However, I feel like the oak, instead of complementing and homogenizing, is simply layering onto beer's profile. Additionally, the layers of complexity are all overly-mellowed by the oak. Nothing is jumping out of my glass here--maybe that's the point? Flavor-wise, I get some caramel/toffee, vanilla, maltose, faint red-berry, soft oak, and mild hop flavor. Little to no bitterness. No whiskey flavor or smell, so I'm pretty sure this is just oak-aged (unlike Ri0 mentioned below). EDIT: Ri0 pointed out that the beer was fermented with bourbon soaked oak chips suspended in the tank with climbing gear. Interesting approach, but unfortunately it didn't seem to come through much in the final product.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Silky smooth and medium carbonation.

I feel like this beer is getting a little local hype. I appreciate the unique approach to the oktoberfest and I think there is a pretty solid execution here, but I wasn't wowed by anything in the beer. It drank pretty average to me. I'm a huge fan of oaked beers, so I would like to see the oak character more prominent. I understand that's likely not what K4 was trying to do, though, so no points deducted in this respect.

10-11-2013 12:12:56 | More by lunarbrew
Fcolle2

4.56/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark amber with some deep mahogany tones and a 1 finger off white foamy head that has really good retention.

Smell has a great oak presence upfront along with some really nice fruity esters, mainly pear and apple. This fade into a deep sweet and smokey caramel malt. Really complex for an Octoberfest.

Taste has some more pear and fruity esters upfront that fade into a very light caramel sweetness and doughy grain. Smoke is more mild then the nose And awesome oak flavors come in at the finish and bring everything together.

Mouthfeel has moderately high carbonation with a light crisp feel and a dry finish. Everything you would expect with an Octoberfest.

Overall this has been the best Octoberfest I have had yet. I never understood why I kept trying this style when it had yet to woo me but I have found the answer. All is right with the world.

Serving type: growler

09-30-2013 02:03:35 | More by Fcolle2
Ri0

Wisconsin

4.23/5  rDev -2.8%

tap poured into a snifter at teh brewery.

A - Light hazelnut brown with highlights of amber and a thin tan head. Some lacing.

S - A very pleasant aroma. There is a subtle sweetness of caramel, toffee, toasted malts. There are hints of wood and brown sugar.

T - A wonderful blend of toasted malt and sweetness. Caramel, toffee, and some dark brown sugar with a bit of wood. Brown bread and maybe some molasses and candied sugar. I can't tell you just how tasty this is. It is unlike any Oktoberfest I have ever had. The suspended oak wood soaked in whiskey inside the tank gave it a very unique flavor.

M - Smooth, rich, and medium bodied. It was velvety and had a slight creamy feel.

O - I was really surprised by this beer. It was such a different take on a classic style. I can't stop thinking about how much I enjoyed it. Hopefully it will be brewed every year. Excellent work by the guys at K4!

09-24-2013 01:31:20 | More by Ri0
Oaktober from Karben4 Brewing
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.