Congress Street IPA - Trillium Brewing Company

Trillium Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: TheAnk on 10-04-2013

Our flagship American IPA highlights the distinctively aromatic Australian Galaxy hop. The nose bursts with pine, citrus rind, melon and pineapple. Pronounced flavors of peach, clementine, and tropical fruits are accentuated with moderate bitterness and balanced by a light, biscuity malt character.

MALT: American 2-row Barley, White Wheat, C-15, Dextrine, Dextrose

HOPS: Galaxy, Columbus
Reviews: 112 | Hads: 1,143
Reviews by RichD:
4.77/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750 into a tulip.

L: Pours and incredible yellow orange color. This is definitely the best looking IPA that I've ever laid my eyes upon. There's a small white head that fades into a small ring around my glass. Forreal though, this beer looks amazing. So juicy looking.

S: Smells like heaven. Not sure what this is hopped with, but it smells like Galaxy hops. Upon further research I am indeed correct. Absolutely massive notes of peach and citrus invade my nose like a Spanish conquistador. Not sure I smell much else, but what I smell is legendary.

T: The taste, of course, follows the nose to a "T." Huge citrus and peach flavors come through like no other beer that I've had. Dare I say that this may taste one dimensional?! However, the one dimension that I taste is magnificent. I can taste a bit of yeast, but the mango and orange and pineapple is great. There are few American IPAs that I've had that can even contend with how great this is.

F: Medium mouthfeel and the 7.2 percent is non existent. However, I only think I could do 1 750 of this because if I had more in a sitting then I simply would not enjoy it as much as I should.

Overall: This beer is awesome. RECOMMENDATION: Get this in the bottle. I had this a year ago in growler form and while great, it was not this great. There's something about 32oz. screw top growlers that make the carbonation lower than it should be. If you see this in bottles, buy as much as you can. This is my second favorite American IPA of all time and I don't really see anything unseating this.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Hazy, golden-marmalade body. 3 fingers of white, fluffy head. Good retention and lacing.

S - Pineapple, apricot, and other tropical fruit. Sweet citrus hoppiness.

T - Candied or dried apricots and other tropical fruits. Slight lemon rind like bitterness. Well balanced.

M - Awesome. Full bodied throughout. Very little stickiness. Probably the best M I've had in an IPA.

O - Another terrific offering from Trillium.

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

Date: 02/22/2015
Bottled: 10/18/2014
Type: 750ml. Bottle
Glass: Fiddlehead Wheat Glass

Pours a hazy golden in color w/ a massive multiple finger white head that laces the hell out of the glass. Aromas of big grapefruit, white wine, weed, and cat piss. The flavor opens w/ some grapefruit and malt sweetness, transitioning into mild pine, and closes w/ white wine and herbal hop bite. Medium bodied and lush as Trillium really nails this aspect with their brews. The finish on this is pretty juicy. Due to the great depth of flavor, absence of bitterness, and juicy finish this can be crushed in great volume.

Overall, Wow! This is a go to IPA that you could drink everyday. If I were a Bruins fan, which I am NOT, I would want to drink this at every game. I am going to have to start sneaking this into Penguin games at the Consol Energy Center, making sure to pour it into a cup so my buddies don't realize it's from Boston.

Opaque yellow pour with a magnificent white rocky head that stands at two fingers and stays put, textbook lacing in teku.

Aroma is sweet tropical fruits, pineapple and pine needles come to mind, however this is a subtle nose that can hardly be considered aggressive in the hop department, especially with all the horn blowing about double dry hopping.

Taste is reminiscent of sweet pineapple juice and pine, very pleasant but mild and slightly underwhelming.

Mouthfeel is medium, and soft on the palate. No strong bitterness which may or may not be good depending on your taste.

This is a fine IPA but I was expecting a bit more pop, especially for a $12 bottle.This is worth trying but I wouldn't go out of my way given the rarity and price point.I was glad to have tried it once.

4.81/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had many different type of beers and this beer is a great IPA.. Trillium has been on point with a lot of beers and they hit it with this one.. This beer is hoppy with an unbelievable citrus taste.. If I had to compare this beer to any beer it would be Abner by Hill Farmstead.. Cheers!!!

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

purchased same day as bottled on!!

poured a light golden hazy orange with a lingering inch/2 inch head

nose was hoppy with a "typical" Trillium malt backbone

taste was tasty, hoppy, grapefruit a bit of orange, the "typical" malt is there as well, with a bit of bitterness towards the end

mouthfeel was medium to light,creamy, nothing overpowering.... carbonation was nice.

Overall: I quite enjoyed this IPA the "typical" malt I referred to is one that I taste in a few of Trillium's brews, not sure if its the malts they use or the hops can't quite put my finger on it but it is distinctive; earthy funk maybe? I guess I'll just have to keep drinking them to figure it out!.....Cheers

4.51/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Another great IPA from Trillium. An unfiltered cloudy straw pour from a fresh growler with a bubbly thin head. A big piney hop nose. Lots of grapefruit, pineapple, and pine, with a touch of tropical fruit....really good stuff. A bit of the ganja as well.... Ya mon! Nice bitterness throughout, with plenty on the finish. The mouthfeel is crisp yet creamy; a pleasure to drink. Like all of the street series IPAs from them, this is another well crafted beer by Trillium. A bit pricey at $23 for a growler, but worth the splurge. One I will remember as my Pats were winning #4 while I was having it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Growler was poured into a perfect pint glass.

Appearance: A one finger head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a hazy pale yellow color with slight vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Nice lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Tropical, grassy, pungent, floral, grassy, herbal, pilsner malts, and pale malts.

Taste: Same as above. Mild tingly bitterness in the rear.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, refreshing, medium carbonation, medium bodied, and mild tingly bitterness.

Overall: Pretty solid IPA. You can never go wrong.

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.48/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.81/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.91/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Congress Street IPA from Trillium Brewing Company