Follow our progress ...

4.5

Fort Point Pale AleFort Point Pale Ale

Trillium Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Our signature American pale ale balances light, crisp, malt character with an abundance of hop-derived aromatics and flavors from the use of Citra and Columbus. The fragrant nose is fresh citrus, tropical fruit, and peach. Bold flavors of pineapple and mango mix with dank notes of zesty citrus and fresh pine needles. With the smooth mouthfeel, gentle bitterness, and dry finish, Fort Point is our standard daily-drinker.

MALT: American 2-row Barley, White Wheat, C-15, Dextrine

HOPS: Citra, Columbus

Added by Todd on 01-12-2013

Reviews: 153 | Ratings: 1,528

Fort Point is, without question, the best APA I've ever had. Trillium hit it out of the park with this one. I picked up a Case 2 days after it was bottled, so I've had only very fresh bottles FYI.

Appearance - Pours cloudy amber with a nice 2-3 finger head. The color is a bit darker than you'd expect. Fort Point is darker in color than Trillium's Congress Street IPA by several shades.

Smell - Open the bottle and you'll instantly smell fruity hops. The Citra really shines in this one.

Taste - Follows the smell. There's plenty of lemon/lime, grapefruit, and other citrus flavors, but they're nicely balanced by the use of malt and wheat. The wheat adds a unique flavor compared to other APAs - just a hint of banana sweetness maybe?

Mouth - Perfect. Smooth, crisp, light, nicely carbonated.

Overall - I could drink this beer every day. It's also my wife's favorite beer. Everyone I've shared it with has given me a double take WOW. It's really that good. If you like APAs/IPAs and are in the Boston area, Trillium is a must stop.

Cloudy, straw-colored, and delicious. This pint stood out from my recent visit to Boston. Grapefruit and grass, lingering grapefruit on the finish. Light and crisp. Great session beer (if only I could get my hands on some!)

Update 12/8/14: I keep on pinning for this one as the weeks go on, so I'm updating my score to a perfect. Me wantee!

This is what all pale ales/ india pale ales should be. Hops and malt in perfect balance while being so drinkable that you cant wait to take the next sip. Trillium's hoppy beers show what brewing is all about.

The best pale in the world, in my opinion. First had on draft at the Armsby Abby in Feb '14 and had never heard of Trillium. After drinking that first glass, I did something I've never done at the Abby, I ordered the same beer again. I've since become a frequent Trillium visitor and still love this beer. One of my favorites.

4.99/5  rDev +10.9%

A - nice hazy golden beer with a creamy white head that leaves nice lacing
S- big tropical fruit, mango, dank, orange pith, garlic, onion, less overtly tropical than the mosaic dry hopped version but honestly still just as good
T - same as the nose, big tropical fruit, mango, dank with garlic/onion/ganja, papaya, passion fruit, again less tropical than the mosaic dry hopped version but it's not possible to knock it
M- light to medium mouthfeel, alcohol covered, aftertaste is dank, breadth malts, orange pith.
O- easily one of the best pale ales I've ever had. I have a few more bottles, I'm going to do a side by side with fresher Zombie Dust and see where it comes out.

4.99/5  rDev +10.9%

Being a big pale ale fan, I was blown away with this beer's smooth and full flavor. This beer is definitely awesome and worth seeking out; you will not be disappointed!

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Drank on-tap at jm Curley, Boston, MA
Served in a Trillium "pub glass"

Super cloudy, yellow ochre appearance. A thick, foamy, off-white crown topped the liquid. Excellent retention. The head deposited large, oddly shaped patches of lacing along the upper portion of the glass.

The nose was ridiculously hoppy and fragrant with boatloads of juicy, tropical fruit notes. Mango, guava and passion fruit dominated. Some dank, resiny, weed-like notes came through as well. Super intense, particularly for the style.

The flavor profile was just as impressive as the nose. Hoppy to the extreme. Again, tropical fruit notes were in full effect. Tons of guava, mango and pineapple. Beneath all the hops was a light, pale malt base. Some orange peel came through as well. The finish was slightly bitter with lingering notes of grapefruit pith. For a beer this intense, it was amazingly well balanced and uber drinkable.

The mouthfeel was perfect. Medium-full bodied for the style. Super creamy and supple on the palate. The liquid contained an ultra fine, tongue blanketing effervescence.

Boston's newest nano-brewery completely blew my socks off with their flagship offering. Dare I say this is an even better American pale ale than the venerable Zombie Dust? My only request would be to see this distributed to more places around town.

4.93/5  rDev +9.6%

It's amazing beer advocate changed the rating system. Now, only ratings That come with a review of 150 characters will count. They've now just discounted thousands of ratings just because they want "quality". Well guess what, you now have a smaller sample size and beers with only 159 ratings are cracking the top 20. So stupid. It's 2015, people are busy. I don't want to spend 10 minutes describing my feelings about every beer I drink!

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Filled at a 32oz growler from the brewery, yesterday. Poured into a pint glass.

A - Darker yellow, almost orange. One finger head after a center pour, lovely looking brew

S - Fruit, fruit, fruits! Mango, pineapple, grapefruit, oranges, passion fruit. Smells amazing! Just makes you want to immediately down it. Awesome aroma.

T - All of that tropical fruit aroma is exactly the taste you get! And I couldn't be more happy about it. Nose matches the taste and that's exactly what you'd want with this. A slighty bitter finish. Perfect.

M - Same thing with the smell and taste. Fruity. Very smooth hitting the palate, especially as it warms. Slight carbonation. A pleasant experience. Everything mixes well with this.

O - Almost a true, perfect 5 in my opinion. An excellent representation of the style. A fruit medley forward APA with a nice hoppy finish, this is brilliant. I could drink it all day or just enjoy a pint and it would leave me wanting more and more. I also personally love that it flys under the radar.

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This Pale Ale rocks! So freaking good!

Haze look with an orange yellow/golden glow
Smelled citrus, hops, and tropical fruit notes
Tasted amazing! Citrus, mango, tropical fruit and hops
Perfectly carbonated and such a smooth and crisp mouth feel.
Would love to get some more Trillium down the road

4.88/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Trillium beers taste like they were brewed in an old barn and maybe a little dirt got into the brew pot. And I mean that in the best possible way. Earthy, piney, citrus, this beer has it all.

4.88/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Fort Point Mosaic Pale Ale. Coulda given this straight 5s, it is outstanding. World class outstanding.

Growler, fresh poured this afternoon at the brewery, and splashed into the souvenir pint glass I got there. (I know, I got pint glasses comin' outta the rafters!)

Gorgeous looking brew, golden, unfiltered, and aromatic. This particular offering was dry-hopped with Mosaic, a Simcoe hybrid I'm told.

It is a citrus monster with very fine carbonation. Balanced. One of the finest pales I've tasted, though a decade ago would have fallen into the IPA realm.

4.88/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

absolutely phenomenal! dont like the thick pea soup but it smells incredible!!!!! fruits and more fruits, smooth fruit flavor, bitterness takes a back seat. flavor explosion!

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is amazing beer. Poured it into a teku - beautifuj hazy staw color with a thick white head that coats the glass. Tropical aromas with evergreen notes. Taste is wonderful with mango and other tropical fruits followed by pine and a perfect balance of bitterness. Burps like I've been chewing on a pine cone. Mouth is just right. Overall, this is just an amazing pale ale.

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

6/2/15 bottle poured into a tulip glass.

L: Pours a hazy, straw yellow with about a finger or two of sudsy head. A little bit of lacing is left as I drink this.

S: Smells of mango immediately invade my nose. A medley of faint orange and lemon also come through. A little papaya also comes through. I can tell that this beer has citra hops in it. I had the galaxy dry hopped edition and the nose was completely different.

T: The taste follows the nose pretty well. The mango and orange come through at first with a bit of lemon. The yeast is pretty prominent in the taste as well, which is something that many breweries cannot pull off. The bitterness on the back reminds me that this is a well hopped beer. Simply fantastic.

F: This feels heavier than 6.60%. I'm not used to such full flavor in an American Pale Ale. Regardless, I'm tempted to take another sip almost immediately after the sip before it.

Overall: This is a world class pale ale. The appearance is juicy, the smell is tropical and the taste is both. The mouthfeel is more of a regular IPA than a pale ale, but it's still pleasant. I think I might prefer the Galaxy dry hopped version to this, but this is still one of the best out there. I'm thinking I might have to do a side by side to settle the debate.

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of the better pale ales I have had. The aroma was nice, the taste was nice, overall a very well made and very complex beer which I look forward to drinking again!

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another killer from Trillium. Pours a bright luminous orange, total haze. Smells like pineapple and mango had a baby, so, so juicy good. Taste is loaded with sweet citrusy juice flavor, slight hop bitterness at the end. Great, monumental mouth feel. Insanely good pale ale.

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%

Very hazy, bright and nearly straw colored. Tropical citrus nose, with a strong mango citrus taste. Out of the world mouth feel, and overall fantastic beer.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I sort of laugh when I think about this one, because it highlights the great debate over hazy beer. Generally, I'm sketpical of the pro-haze crowd, but I also can't deny that this beer, which was downright turbid when I had it, was fantastic, giving off great and true hop flavor, green, dank, tropical, all of it. Kinda have to close your eyes to drink it...but the proof is in the pudding, or taste as it were, and it's darn good indeed.

4.81/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A bottle of this amazing nectar found its way to me via some nice BAs. Thanks guys!

Pours a gorgeous, hazy, nearly opaque orange, with a 2.5 inch head, massive and beautiful, leaving big spots of lacing down the snifter. Just a really awesome looking beer, honestly.

Smells incredible, like mango, peaches, oranges, pineapples, slightly floral, with a bit of pine and oil.

The taste is similar. Unbelievably crisp and smooth, goes down so easy. The Citra and Columbus hops are used masterfully. As the beer warms up it becomes even more citrusy- orange, grapefruit, peach, mango. Some slight sweet pale malt flavors are there as well. Mild bitterness, this is mostly juicy.

Medium bodied, much fuller body than a typical pale ale with little malt. It's just so juicy, almost tastes creamsicle like with the foamy head. Clearly quite sessionable, despite the slightly "high for a session" 6.6% ABV. Crisp, clean mouthfeel, fairly dry in the finish, but juicy up front. Medium carbonation.

If it's not clear from the review above, this is an amazing beer. Possibly the best regular pale ale I've ever had. Not many people can make beer like this. I need more!

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Incredible stuff. Best of the three trillium beers I had, including galaxy dry hopped FP. Huge tropical fruit, citrus and peach on the nose. Taste follows almost exactly the same as the nose. A little dankness on the back end with a slight lingering bitterness that keeps you going back for more. Really well done.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow. Pineapple on the aroma. Thick, thick and beautiful golden appearance. Taste is very fruity. Super smooth. This is an awesome pale ale. My first from Trillium, hopefully not my last.

4.79/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750ml bottle dated 02/19/16

Looks like an orange juice milkshake. Pours a turbid pale gold with a dense, creamy white foam head. Smells like peaches, mangos, and pineapple with cream, some citrus zest, spicy pine and dank earthy grass. Tastes like orange and white grapefruit juice with notes of mango, mild pineapple, peaches, with lightly bitter pine and dank earthy grass. Feels medium-full, smooth with low carbonation. Overall a really great, juicy and fruity pale ale.

4.79/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 750 into a Trillium pub glass. Off white, cream colored head. The beer is a golden orange hue and between translucent and opaque. The aroma is like candied hops. It's not as aromatic as the DDH version, even if you stick your nose in the glass or in the foam. There's a ton of grapefruit. some pineapple/mango sweetness, and nice dank bitterness and citrus zest at the end. The mouthfeel is soft and inviting. It's not overcarbonated. All of the flavors in the beer pass over the palate when consumed.

Overall, this is one of my favorite beers period. The mouthfeel is terrific and the interplay between the sweet citrusness of the citra and the dankness of the columbus is playfully complex without reducing its drinkability.

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

- 750mL bottle (bottled 14-Jul-15) poured into Societe tumbler on 16-Aug-15

Holy crap, this is one of the finest pale ales I've ever had. Good amount of fruity, citrus hop on the nose, but not too much hop in the taste that a IPA would deliver, which is appropriate for a PA. Great hop/malt balance with a clean finish. Kinda reminds me of Alpine Nelson's younger brother with the hop difference. I need more of this in my life.

Fort Point Pale Ale from Trillium Brewing Company