Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Fort Point Pale Ale - Trillium Brewing Company

Fort Point Pale AleFort Point Pale Ale

Trillium Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-12-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Point Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 114 | Hads: 1,171

Fort Point is, without question, the best APA I've ever had. Trillium hit it out of the park with this one. I picked up a Case 2 days after it was bottled, so I've had only very fresh bottles FYI.

Appearance - Pours cloudy amber with a nice 2-3 finger head. The color is a bit darker than you'd expect. Fort Point is darker in color than Trillium's Congress Street IPA by several shades.

Smell - Open the bottle and you'll instantly smell fruity hops. The Citra really shines in this one.

Taste - Follows the smell. There's plenty of lemon/lime, grapefruit, and other citrus flavors, but they're nicely balanced by the use of malt and wheat. The wheat adds a unique flavor compared to other APAs - just a hint of banana sweetness maybe?

Mouth - Perfect. Smooth, crisp, light, nicely carbonated.

Overall - I could drink this beer every day. It's also my wife's favorite beer. Everyone I've shared it with has given me a double take WOW. It's really that good. If you like APAs/IPAs and are in the Boston area, Trillium is a must stop.

Cloudy, straw-colored, and delicious. This pint stood out from my recent visit to Boston. Grapefruit and grass, lingering grapefruit on the finish. Light and crisp. Great session beer (if only I could get my hands on some!)

Update 12/8/14: I keep on pinning for this one as the weeks go on, so I'm updating my score to a perfect. Me wantee!

This is what all pale ales/ india pale ales should be. Hops and malt in perfect balance while being so drinkable that you cant wait to take the next sip. Trillium's hoppy beers show what brewing is all about.

4.99/5  rDev +11.4%

Being a big pale ale fan, I was blown away with this beer's smooth and full flavor. This beer is definitely awesome and worth seeking out; you will not be disappointed!

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

Drank on-tap at jm Curley, Boston, MA
Served in a Trillium "pub glass"

Super cloudy, yellow ochre appearance. A thick, foamy, off-white crown topped the liquid. Excellent retention. The head deposited large, oddly shaped patches of lacing along the upper portion of the glass.

The nose was ridiculously hoppy and fragrant with boatloads of juicy, tropical fruit notes. Mango, guava and passion fruit dominated. Some dank, resiny, weed-like notes came through as well. Super intense, particularly for the style.

The flavor profile was just as impressive as the nose. Hoppy to the extreme. Again, tropical fruit notes were in full effect. Tons of guava, mango and pineapple. Beneath all the hops was a light, pale malt base. Some orange peel came through as well. The finish was slightly bitter with lingering notes of grapefruit pith. For a beer this intense, it was amazingly well balanced and uber drinkable.

The mouthfeel was perfect. Medium-full bodied for the style. Super creamy and supple on the palate. The liquid contained an ultra fine, tongue blanketing effervescence.

Boston's newest nano-brewery completely blew my socks off with their flagship offering. Dare I say this is an even better American pale ale than the venerable Zombie Dust? My only request would be to see this distributed to more places around town.

4.93/5  rDev +10%

It's amazing beer advocate changed the rating system. Now, only ratings That come with a review of 150 characters will count. They've now just discounted thousands of ratings just because they want "quality". Well guess what, you now have a smaller sample size and beers with only 159 ratings are cracking the top 20. So stupid. It's 2015, people are busy. I don't want to spend 10 minutes describing my feelings about every beer I drink!

4.89/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Filled at a 32oz growler from the brewery, yesterday. Poured into a pint glass.

A - Darker yellow, almost orange. One finger head after a center pour, lovely looking brew

S - Fruit, fruit, fruits! Mango, pineapple, grapefruit, oranges, passion fruit. Smells amazing! Just makes you want to immediately down it. Awesome aroma.

T - All of that tropical fruit aroma is exactly the taste you get! And I couldn't be more happy about it. Nose matches the taste and that's exactly what you'd want with this. A slighty bitter finish. Perfect.

M - Same thing with the smell and taste. Fruity. Very smooth hitting the palate, especially as it warms. Slight carbonation. A pleasant experience. Everything mixes well with this.

O - Almost a true, perfect 5 in my opinion. An excellent representation of the style. A fruit medley forward APA with a nice hoppy finish, this is brilliant. I could drink it all day or just enjoy a pint and it would leave me wanting more and more. I also personally love that it flys under the radar.

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Fort Point Mosaic Pale Ale. Coulda given this straight 5s, it is outstanding. World class outstanding.

Growler, fresh poured this afternoon at the brewery, and splashed into the souvenir pint glass I got there. (I know, I got pint glasses comin' outta the rafters!)

Gorgeous looking brew, golden, unfiltered, and aromatic. This particular offering was dry-hopped with Mosaic, a Simcoe hybrid I'm told.

It is a citrus monster with very fine carbonation. Balanced. One of the finest pales I've tasted, though a decade ago would have fallen into the IPA realm.

4.87/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

6/2/15 bottle poured into a tulip glass.

L: Pours a hazy, straw yellow with about a finger or two of sudsy head. A little bit of lacing is left as I drink this.

S: Smells of mango immediately invade my nose. A medley of faint orange and lemon also come through. A little papaya also comes through. I can tell that this beer has citra hops in it. I had the galaxy dry hopped edition and the nose was completely different.

T: The taste follows the nose pretty well. The mango and orange come through at first with a bit of lemon. The yeast is pretty prominent in the taste as well, which is something that many breweries cannot pull off. The bitterness on the back reminds me that this is a well hopped beer. Simply fantastic.

F: This feels heavier than 6.60%. I'm not used to such full flavor in an American Pale Ale. Regardless, I'm tempted to take another sip almost immediately after the sip before it.

Overall: This is a world class pale ale. The appearance is juicy, the smell is tropical and the taste is both. The mouthfeel is more of a regular IPA than a pale ale, but it's still pleasant. I think I might prefer the Galaxy dry hopped version to this, but this is still one of the best out there. I'm thinking I might have to do a side by side to settle the debate.

4.85/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another killer from Trillium. Pours a bright luminous orange, total haze. Smells like pineapple and mango had a baby, so, so juicy good. Taste is loaded with sweet citrusy juice flavor, slight hop bitterness at the end. Great, monumental mouth feel. Insanely good pale ale.

4.84/5  rDev +8%

A-Pours a semi-hazed corroded orange color. Nice little head. Sample glass doesn't really lend much in terms of lacing.

S-Boom! Citra right off the bat. Concentrated citrus and herbals. Earthy yet exotically bright and fruity. Super-hopped aroma. Right down my alley. Intense, complicated and ultra-juicy in its hoppiness. Also has a cute little malty sweetness of wet, sweet dough.

T-In line with some of the best APAs I have ever had. Just a blast of ever-evolving hoppy flavor. Citrus, grass, mango, peach. Then a cool Citra-derived mixture of flower stems and clementines. There is a balancing factor from the malt but I'd still put this well into IPA territory.

M-So much flavor and so much drinkability. Bitterness with a purpose. Tingly bubbles. Very juicy, very ripe.

O/D-Thanks Trillium. What a great APA. Reminds me of a few hoppy beers from Hill Farmstead and the other two VT savant-breweries. Seek this out.

4.82/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I sort of laugh when I think about this one, because it highlights the great debate over hazy beer. Generally, I'm sketpical of the pro-haze crowd, but I also can't deny that this beer, which was downright turbid when I had it, was fantastic, giving off great and true hop flavor, green, dank, tropical, all of it. Kinda have to close your eyes to drink it...but the proof is in the pudding, or taste as it were, and it's darn good indeed.

4.81/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A bottle of this amazing nectar found its way to me via some nice BAs. Thanks guys!

Pours a gorgeous, hazy, nearly opaque orange, with a 2.5 inch head, massive and beautiful, leaving big spots of lacing down the snifter. Just a really awesome looking beer, honestly.

Smells incredible, like mango, peaches, oranges, pineapples, slightly floral, with a bit of pine and oil.

The taste is similar. Unbelievably crisp and smooth, goes down so easy. The Citra and Columbus hops are used masterfully. As the beer warms up it becomes even more citrusy- orange, grapefruit, peach, mango. Some slight sweet pale malt flavors are there as well. Mild bitterness, this is mostly juicy.

Medium bodied, much fuller body than a typical pale ale with little malt. It's just so juicy, almost tastes creamsicle like with the foamy head. Clearly quite sessionable, despite the slightly "high for a session" 6.6% ABV. Crisp, clean mouthfeel, fairly dry in the finish, but juicy up front. Medium carbonation.

If it's not clear from the review above, this is an amazing beer. Possibly the best regular pale ale I've ever had. Not many people can make beer like this. I need more!

4.79/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 750 into a Trillium pub glass. Off white, cream colored head. The beer is a golden orange hue and between translucent and opaque. The aroma is like candied hops. It's not as aromatic as the DDH version, even if you stick your nose in the glass or in the foam. There's a ton of grapefruit. some pineapple/mango sweetness, and nice dank bitterness and citrus zest at the end. The mouthfeel is soft and inviting. It's not overcarbonated. All of the flavors in the beer pass over the palate when consumed.

Overall, this is one of my favorite beers period. The mouthfeel is terrific and the interplay between the sweet citrusness of the citra and the dankness of the columbus is playfully complex without reducing its drinkability.

4.78/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

- 750mL bottle (bottled 14-Jul-15) poured into Societe tumbler on 16-Aug-15

Holy crap, this is one of the finest pale ales I've ever had. Good amount of fruity, citrus hop on the nose, but not too much hop in the taste that a IPA would deliver, which is appropriate for a PA. Great hop/malt balance with a clean finish. Kinda reminds me of Alpine Nelson's younger brother with the hop difference. I need more of this in my life.

4.77/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm writing this review after having had this beer a few times. I traded for 4 bottles and have tried to space them out (it's been difficult!) to let the taste develop as the bottle conditions a bit. Every time I've tasted it, the nose has been incredible. Big, beautiful citrus. It smells so good. This is what I want every pale ale and most IPAs to smell like. The taste is solid. When it's too fresh, you get the veggie/grassy dry hop taste that fades after a few days. It's also a tad too bitter (for an APA) if you drink it within a couple days after bottling, but going forward, my only complaint is that the ABV is a bit too high for what I'm looking for in a pale ale (though you don't taste it at all!) Expect tons of grapefruit, mango, orange. I get very little pine and that's a good thing!

4.75/5  rDev +6%

I am lucky enough to be in very close proximity to the Trillium Brewery and have started to grab growlers on a pretty regular basis. When I do, I always make sure to grab one of these. This is probably the best pale ale I have ever had. Blows you away with a lot of hops and citrus flavors, but never bitter. If you can try this beer you will not be disappointed, world class.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dated 6/16, opened on 7/28... received as an extra... Normally at 6 weeks old I find hoppy ales to be grassy and somewhat unappealing, but not this bad boy! Hazy pour with an inch of foam, incredible nose of mango, pineapple and pine, with similar flavors and a clean bright hops, enough malt to balance, and just the right amount of bitterness.... really delicious and more IPA than PA!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Incredible. Juicy. Soooo tasty. That signature hazy look. It should be a rule that you are not allowed to leave Trillium Brewery without a Fort Point Pale Ale.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - One finger of dense white head. Excellent lacing and retention. Hazy unfiltered deep grapefruity orange body.

S - Tons of tropical fruit (mango and pineapple) and stone fruit (peach). Sweet and sharp grapefruit.

T - Follows the nose. Really well balanced. Some grass complements the citrus notes in the finish.

M - Medium carbonation. Just enough stickiness in the finish to make it fruit juice-like.

O - The best pale ale ever!

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This Pale Ale is pretty much an IPA. And a good one at that. Great beer, worth buying a bottle, cuz there is no tasting the beers at the brewery. Also grab a bottle of their Congress St IPA.

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Sampled a pour from a 750 ml bottle. Pours a hazy peach orange color with a huge bright white head. Nose is dominated by sweet stone fruit and orange with hints of dry hay. Taste is orange, mango and guava fruitiness with just enough hop bitterness to balance thing out. The hoppy bitterness lingers a bit longer providing a nice finish. An absolutely lovely beer!

4.69/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is outstanding. One of the best if not the best Pale Ale out there. Has that New England style creaminess and drinkability that make you want to drink this one all day long. Every Trillium beer I have had is great, this one is no different.

4.69/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a nice looking hazy yellow. The nose is big as is the case with every single Trillium pale ale I've had. I get sweet citrus and oranges and some tropical fruits and subtle grassiness. The body was juicy and satisfying with a subtle bitterness and finishes clean and refreshing. JC does no wrong in my book.

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I work a block down the street from Trillium, so I'm now mad that I hadn't stopped by sooner.

Poured from a 32 oz growler into a Trillium saison style glass. About a finger worth of head that vanished pretty quickly. Nose is incredible. I'm getting papaya, mango, and grapefruit, followed by a hint of pine.

The fruit is also the first thing to hit the tongue but it's immediately conquered by a huge burst of hops, while not becoming too bitter. Finish is very clean, and certainly helped along by the addition of wheat to the grist.

Very sessionable, but the ABV will sneak up on your quickly. I'll certainly be going back to the brewery to get that growler filled again. Phenomenal brew.

Fort Point Pale Ale from Trillium Brewing Company