Medusa - Conquest Brewing Company

Beer added by: Craigory on 05-09-2013

Ratings: 44 | Reviews: 10
Reviews by xseanprimex:
3.41/5  rDev -7.1%

Conquest stout in a 22 oz bottle.
Mildly sweet upfront but mildly bitter aftertaste.
Ample dark roasted grain with very little burnt or char.
Solid but lacks complexity.

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler fill at Green's Piney Grove, poured into a Conquest tulip pint glass.

A: Pours quite black, with generous khaki head. I only get some light ruby tinting on the edges when I hold the glass to the light; the head subsides to a light cap that sticks around.

S: I get the standard sweet stout notes; some roasted barley, both bitter and milk chocolate, light scent of coffee.

T: A little roastiness up front, followed by both bitter and sweeter chocolate, with a lingering sweet finish.

M: Medium-bodied, with light carbonation and a slight stickiness.

O: A nice sweet stout (no lactose) that is highly sessionable. It stays with the standard notes for the style, but hits every one well.

Not too sweet, proper amt of carbonation and hell spot might a say.
Cheers!

1.9/5  rDev -48.2%

I hope I got a bad batch or an infected bottle. It was way over carbonated. I couldn't even drink it. A drain pour

4.54/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Once I allowed the growler to warm up a little bit, I poured my first glass of the Medusa Stout from Conquest. The pour yielded a nice two finger head that was pretty steady through the first half of the drink. The stout had an excellent color and was very opaque. The real magic came when I tasted it:

The mouthfeel was superb. Very thick and yet drinkable. The taste was fairly complex with an initial taste of dark chocolate and cream followed by dark roast coffee. The aftertaste was clean and ever so slightly bitter. Overall, I can say this was my favorite stout I have ever had.

3.77/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to dogdoc for sending this one! Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into a Cigar City pint glass.

A: Very dark brown, nearly opaque, with a half-finger of tan head that fades pretty quickly. Low visible carbonation.

S: Dark cacao, milder notes of coffee and roasted malt bitterness. There's a bit of a cola aspect to the aroma as well. Not a real big nose on this one though.

T: Follows the nose - coffee and light chocolate, roasted bitterness, and some mild char in the back of the mouth. Light hop bitterness shows up in the hang.

M: Has a fairly thin body, but not to the point of seeming watery. Carbonation sensation on the low side, and alcohol nearly undetectable.

O: This wasn't particularly sweet, nor did I find a lot of lactose presence here. It struck me more as a "session stout" - relatively light-bodied, very low alcohol, and yet still has an enjoyable flavor profile. For what it is, and what it could be for such a low FG, really quite good. Glad I had a chance to try it.

4.59/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at Liberty on the Lake in Irmo, SC. Deep, deep chocolate hue to where no light shone thru. There was just a thin head of cappucino colored foam (no doubt due to the pour).The smell was absolute heaven; just an almost perfect blend of coffee, cocoa, and raisins. The tatse delivered exactly what the aroma promised. Mouthfeel was a little chewy, which suits me just fine!

Overall, this has moved to the top of my list! (Of course, there are still multitudes to try!) But it doesn't hurt that this brewery is in my back yard!

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

warning - this was a massive gusher

3.39/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Not bad at all - just not as complex as other milk stouts. Easy to drink.

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had the stout a Mack on main. I asked the waitress who made it she told me it was made here in Columbia. I have been a home brewer for over 25 years and had just finished a milk stout. I must say this stout was better than my. It had a nice creamy head. You could pick up the dark malt smell. It tasted awesome. Since then I have been a reg at Coonquest

Medusa from Conquest Brewing Company