Crom - Rocky Point Artisan Brewers

Crom
No picture uploaded.

Rocky Point Artisan Brewers visit their website
New York, United States

Rocky point artisan brewers collaborated with Johnnyhitch on this one. This DIPA is heavily hopped with Citra and fermented with Conan yeast strain.

(Beer added by: jaIsPoAn on 12-29-2013)

4.81/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been too sheepish to review a beer so far but I feel like this beer deserves to be my first. Its only a matter of time before the hype behind this beer picks up steam.

A - A deep murky golden yellow that is opaque with hoppy juiciness. Barely any light goes through this beer and it is that perfect color that you look for in these citrus-forward IPAs.

S - The nose brings up tons up hops. Very reminiscent of heady topper in the nose with a slightly sweet smell in the finish. The anticipation is unbearable at this point.

T - Wow. The first thing you get is a burst of citra hops and the juiciness of this beer is incredible. I was expecting a hop bomb but instead get a more perfect pairing of explosive citrus that tapers into a strong hop flavor that takes over your tongue. I loved the balance between citrus flavor and pine in this beer and had difficulty not finishing this beer in a few gulps.

M - The appearance of this beer foreshadowed its mouthfeel; not too thin, not too thick, a great and happy medium in between, which was exactly what I look and hope for when drinking a flavorful DIPA.

O - Having had HF IPAs as well as heady topper and double sunshine, I'd have to say that this beer is not a heady topper clone. Instead it is a beautiful balance between the fruity, citrus forward offerings from HF and double sunshine and the pine-bomb in a can that is heady topper. While my favorite IPAs are the most citrusy, this beer is a must-try for those seeking a mix between juicy and hop.

4.25/5  rDev -9.8%

4.51/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a growler from Superstar in Bayport, great customer service there. Many thanks to sirsteve42 and johnnyhitch for making us aware of this beer and telling us when and where we can get it.

A - This beer has a face only a mother can love :)!. Very murky, my wife saw it and said it looks like pumpkin juice. But it still looks good in an unpolished kind of way.

S - Awesome smell to this beer. If you are a hop-head you will love it. I spent more time smelling it than I did drinking it.

T - Great taste, very Heady like. Smooth as can be, no hint of the ABV at all. A bit too dry to me, could use a little more "juiciness".

M - Nicely carbonated, goes down very easy. Definitely leaves that dry feel.

O - Long Island has been a waste land for even good IPAs , they haven't existed. But that has changed with this great new beer from RPAB. Congrats and well done.

4.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Just want to start off saying that this has been such a fun collboration with the guys at Rocky Point. Mike is a genius and without sirsteve42 none of this would of ever happened so i want to thank you both for that.

A - Frothy soapy bone white head laces up the glass as it settles to a finger height. Mix caramel into milk and thats what this guy looks like, but hey. Is is the face that matters, or what you end up sticking in your mouth at the end of the day? Yes i do believe that disregarding appearance this is a 5 across the board BUT appearnce gets a high 4 because that opaque orange color adds to the delicious tropical fruit i got out of this beer.

S - Wait a second...i smell heady topper, o wait its just crom air freshening my house with hoppy goodness. Oh i smell you conan, you peachy fruity beast you! Orange marmalade, peach pudding, sticky pine sap, overripe pineapple guava melon and kiwi. I could go on for hours about this nose alone. Spectacular

T - Phenomenal, first thing i get is the creamy peachiness from the yeast as the same overripe tropical fruit comes back on the palate and is eventually left bombed with the shear amount of alpha acids in this beer. Lingering earthy pine shocks the palate and screams for another sip to be taken. Delicious biscuit malts rounds it up outback to balance the hopbomb profile. The amount of fruit is just amazing. Its like the best fruit punch youve ever had soaked with citra hops and pine needles and no hint of the ~9%ABV. Holy hell this could get dangerous.

M - Smooth creamy body, great dextrin feel across the palate without being to syrupy or sticky. Right amount of sweetness adds to that lingering feel and the hop burps oh my!

O - I tweaked this recipe 2 times before mike upped the oats and raised the mash temp, and im glad he did. This was the final tweak that was needed to make the beer you are drinking today. This beer is not for the faint of heart and while not being an all out "bitterbomb" this beer has tons of flavor and remarkable esters from the yeast we used. I would throw it up against any of the bigger IPAs from up north cough vermont cough. Im glad i can call these guys friends, especially over a pint of CROM!!!

4.71/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

growler from bayport superstar bev

appearance- orange, cloudy, dank. great color held up to the light. this looks like what you want a great ipa to look like. the haze, the depth, its there.

smell- now this is where it gets good. all ipas have an aroma. the good ones make you whince when you get that first smell before the first sip. the great ones make you breathe it in a few times just to make sure youre awake. this is one of those beers.

taste- the bitter hoppiness this beer doles out is on par with the best of them. pine, citrus, blah blah. all the good ones have that. this is just so well assembled and balanced. the taste is so well rounded its really hard to say anything negative about it for fear of feeling like an asshole.

mouthfeel- its just so well balanced honestly. not too anything, just right in all the right places.

overall- this beer is amazing. its just put together so well you know these guys know what theyre doing. i have to add this to my list of favorite long island beers: kelso industrial, sixpoint resin, spiderbite eye be use and blue point mosaic. i have to say though that along with mosaic, this is my favorite long island brew. if you cant make it to vermont for heady this is a fantastic substitute. although that word doesnt do it justice. if you fellow long islanders can make it to connecticut (soooo far away i know), gandhi bot is the closest comparison. although, id really prefer you guys at rpab just made this year round and took my money and stopped me from buying other stuff. dont be stubborn, you did long island proud. this brew is one of the great one guys.

4.73/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into tulip glass from growler purchased same day.

Pours orange and hazy with a nice white head. I could nose this beer all night, really amazing Citra hops hitting you head on.

When you finally take a drink, the hops hit you but don't overpower the taste. The grapefruit, lemon, and orange are balanced and leave you wanting more. Powerful enough for those into IPAs but balanced enough to pour for anyone to enjoy. One of my tests for IPAs is if my wife likes it. She is really sensitive to tastes and easily picks out the great beers. She took one drink and was hooked.

This is my first review so is not as detailed as most. Bottom line, this is a really great beer and is top tier with the others I have tried. To me, it deserves the review, rating, and high praise myself and others have given to it. Well done RPAB team!

4.83/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap 12/27/13 at Hoptron in Patchogue, Long Island (also had on cask)

Orange-amber pour, slightest haze. Lasting white head with terrific lacing.

Yes! Sweet grapefruit and citra hops up front, tropical fruit and floral notes follow, a bit of pine and grapefruit peel as well. As pleasant as it gets. Reminds me of HT.

Holy flurking schnit! Knew I was in for a treat based on the nose but wasn't expecting this! So damn good! Like a bucket of hops just made sweet hoppy love inside of my mouth. Tons of fresh citrus hops, some pine cones, a bit of tropical mango/passion fruitiness, a layer of white bread, grapefruit rind, touch of grass, and the perfect amount of malty sweetness. A wonderfully fresh DIPA with a dry, bitter finish.

Pine resin coats the mouth, nicely carbonated, with an uber smooth and creamy finish.

RPAB is no joke! They made me a believer with their Silky Schwarz but now I'm a fan for life with Crom! PLEASE KEEP BREWING THIS! I won't have to make any excuses with the wife and job to drive up to northern VT anymore if I can get my hands on a steady supply of this liquid God! It's like a smoother, creamier version of Heady Topper!

4.74/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a cloudy vibrant orange with a pillowy bone white head

Smell is dominated by huge citrus notes...tons of grapefruit, tangerine and the kindest of buds

Taste is way more palatable than would be expected. It still hits you in the face like a sock full of quarters on the first sip but gives way to a huge citra explosion in your mouth. Everything you expect from a great IIPA big citrus up front leading into a slight piney/resin aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is right on par with the best of them(talking about you VT). Huge body with a almost mouth coating consistency...if you are looking for that straight up hop water from the west coast you need to go elsewhere, this is a beer for hopheads who have old man winter to contend with.

Overall this beer blew me away. I feel like I could stack this up against the big guys in my region and this one will walk away the victor 9 times out of 10. Having tried many RPAB brews before I went into it knowing a big double IPA was way out of their comfort zone but this was done wonderfully. I just really hope they keep brewing it.

4.73/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I don't review but this beer I must. On tap at hoptron in patchogue. Pours a beautiful tangerine with a finger and a half of white head.
Smell ....well you like HT? Yeah its great. Nice and dank. Citrus, grapefruit. Citra hop bomb enough said.
Taste. Damn my man johnnyhitch who collaborated with RPAB did an amazing job on this. Well balanced nice bite up front with that dank hop bitterness, on the back smooth sweetness. Great hop flavor.
Mouth its as good as it gets
Overall. Fucking loved it, hopefully this gets brewed again cause long island is long overdue for a beer like this. IMO the best on long island

Crom from Rocky Point Artisan Brewers