Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hop Juice Double IPA - Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co.

Hop Juice Double IPAHop Juice Double IPA

Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-18-2004

aka Left Coast Hop Juice
4.92/5  rDev +29.8%

Sampled on tap at the Stuffed Sandwich in San Gabriel. Filled so full I had to take a giant gulp before carrying to my seat. In the glass this one is an orangish-gold with a minimal bubbly white head . The aroma is a straight up fresh hop assault. Just a tantalizingly wet & juicy hop explosion. Some overpowered, but present sweetness tries to express itself but is dominated by the massive floral hops. Flavor is absurd. Hoppy blend of pine, grapefruit, flowers & fresh-cut lemongrass. Subtle sweet malty backbone is subordinate in the flavor as it was in the nose, but it is there lurking under the surface. Moderately bitter and medium-bodied. Dry and resinous & finishes with a long-lasting fresh floral flavor, making it almost impossible not to have another. I would give a limb for a keg of this stuff.

4.87/5  rDev +28.5%

Via tap at the Toronado in September, 2004. Had this last week when I was here and had to have it again before I wrote a review. I'm new to Double IPA's and this beer is what has made me try other ones to base them off of. Pours with a decent head that stays for longer than I expected. Smells like a blast of citrus in your face. Lace which stays forever and a taste that just blows me away. Huge amounts of hops that never end. The aftertaste lingers in your mouth. But it's a good aftertaste. I wish they sold this in bottles and had it in NorCal. I'll be sorry when the Toronado runs out. Guess I'll head back there in a few days to get my fix.

Had Hop Juice again in October, but from the cask conditioned tap this time. It was still very good, but I guess the subtraction of most the carbonation and the warmth of the beer didn't do it for me as much as straight from the tap. The aftertaste stays with you forever also. Once again, not a bad thing. You can literally taste hop juice in your mouth 12 hours later. I'd always take the tap as my first choice.

4.87/5  rDev +28.5%

Lovely crimson/peach coloring, transparent, pleasing to the eye, with a flush head, thick, proud, and creamy, very inviting, I'm going in...
ahhh, big, fresh citric hops...WOW! Melon, and grapefruit, peach, pineapple, apricot, a bit of mango and even guava, what the hey! Mmmm, this is nice!
Ahhh...very delicious.
On the palate, in the mouth, it's a melange of bitterness, juicyness, extravagant hoppitude...I'll take it slow for more quiet consideration...Big bitter hoppiness, but well matched by luscious, thick, sweet malt. This is a well-put-together product, and other opinions I've scanned regarding any lack of balance are without merit, by my eye. You want a really hoppy, really juicy, spicy IPA, but with sufficient malt to back it up, further aiding the flavor? This is that! Hey, it even reminds me of Masala Mama, and that's saying something!
This is very nice, and gets better with every sip and swallow, has a bright, coppery feel, replete with fruity, hoppiness that pleases my tongue to no end!

4.85/5  rDev +28%

This beer is so unique. Wow! I have never experianced a beer like this ever. It's so fun to drink and evaluate.

It pours a beautiful hazy darker gold. With a nice medium creamy off white head that sticks around with some nice lace...

My goodness, I'm picking up sweet candied grapefruit cake in the aroma and flavor. Also candied oranges! The nose is so stong with candied grapefruit.

In the flavor is very nice with soft to a little chunky bitterness and candied resinous hop grapefruit.

The mouthfeel is smooth and a dry finish.

So much fun to drink.

4.77/5  rDev +25.9%

Whats not to like about this Beer. This is a great Double IPA.. NIce golden hue, big head that goes away quick but leaves a nice sticky lacing. First off no carmel maltiness here? I assume people reporting this bought an out date one...Hop aroma is heavenly. Hops in the nose and real nice hop bitterness. Hard to believe the ABV is 9.4% A real nice warmer and very easy to drink. This beer gets a big Phatty A from me...TRY it! Hoppiness is a warm gun...CHEERS

4.67/5  rDev +23.2%

I had this on tap at the Oggis in Orange.

the color was a nice copper with hues of orange with a small white head. It's smell was a clean citrus with a taste of solid grapgefruit/orange peel... kind of like when your first peel an orange and you smell the nice aroma. It was just so legit and solid. I really loved this brew and had another back to back. As a matter of fact, I may go back and get a growler for the weekend. It felt very crisp in the mouth, yet balanced and went down great.

A pefect match to the hot wings i had. If i found this bottled, it would be a regular in my refrigerator.

Edit: I just had this on tap again, over at Hollingshead. Damn, I forgot how good this taste. It really is a gem of a DIPA. I had to change my taste rating now that my palate is much more developed.

4.6/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to Blitheringidiot for this growler. I've been wanting to try it for a long time.
Pours a nice golden orange with a pretty craggy 2 finger head that becomes top coating sticky lacing.
Aroma is all hops...fresh clean citrus hops and pine ois.
Flavor is (surprise?)....HOPS...sweet malt to start then a mixture of hop varieties finishing to a light sweetness and grapefruit peel.
Mouthfeel is smooth and not cloying at all.
A very nice balance exists in this hop bomb.
Woo Hoo!
Good stuff.

4.57/5  rDev +20.6%

on tap at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena

This is one of the best examples of the deliciousness of the West Coast DIPA.

It has the same beautiful floral aroma you'll find in the Plinys, Maharaja - better hopbombs. In fact this could be mistaken for a Pliny the Elder, I'd imagine.

I really can't think of more to say about this fine beer, other than if you cross paths with it - drink it, you'll be better for it.

4.57/5  rDev +20.6%

Growler from Oggi's Orange, CA while hanging with the Bum.

Deep burnished, polished copper penny firey vitreous orange hue topped with a lace coating the glass beige dense head cap.

Nose erupts with an exquisite balance of copious hops mixed with a husky and even a floral malt backing. A kiss of awl-kee-hawl booziness sends up a red flag that this one will knock you on yer azz if you go the distance. Cornicopia of fruits here...cherries, pears and canteloupe.

First swigs: Sizzle of huge hop front. Orange peel, fresh orange slices, tangerine, lemon zesty peel, bright citrus fruit. Tang juice with a solid middle of the road balance of Starburst candy.

Feel is a thick full bodied 2IPA. Sugary and syrupy with plenty of punch to go 'round. Zippy crisp carbonation leaving a linger of hop acidity.

Last swigs: Starburt fruit chews 2IPA that reminds me an awful lot of Yulesmith Summer. An Excellent 2IPA that should be a topped ranked contender. $14 is a bargain. EXCELLENT!

Beer is goo. Happy big beering!

4.52/5  rDev +19.3%

Pint from Oggi's in Corona tonight when girlfriend and I went out for some pizza

Color was a medium orange with a very silky 1/2 inch head, which looked more like it belonged to a stout rather than a double IPA, settled down fairly quickly but left lots of lacing in the process

Smell was nice and full of pine and citrus, definitely got some grassy scents followed by small amounts of lemon accents, prediction was that sweetness would be more heavy than hoppy flavor because of the presence of malt in the aroma

Taste was nicely balanced, more hops than malt, so the opposite of what I originally thought, still a little sweet but amazing, one of the better types of this style of beer I have tasted, and I did not seem to think I would be finding it at this place in the middle of nowhere off of the 15 freeway, dryness turns into an orange-like taste with a little tart followed by a piney finish, taste lasted long and kept biting away at my taste buds, could definitely use some bottles of this, tasted a lot like Pliny the Elder from Russian River and Maharaja by Avery to me, very smooth and crisp with a nice citrus complexity for an IPA of this kind

Could drink a couple pints of this and then the nine percent alcohol would start making me pay for it, strong beer and the alcohol is hidden well in the drink and it is pretty light on the stomach, went great with my pizza

Highly recommended, especially if you are going to this place, Oggi's best beer hands down, only seasonal though unfortunately, will be having this again when I make back out there

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

Bless the West Coast beers! I had several glasses of this fine ale at the Marriott in downtown San Diego under the Left Coast name. Who would have thought that a Mormon hotel chain would have great beer on-tap?

This is a rich deep golden color with a frothy white head. It practically glows. The smells is hops, hops and hops.

The taste is very good. It is leaning on the sweet side, rather than being a bitter bomb. There are lots of flavors of hops in the taste, too. With a name like Hop Juice, what did you expect? Alcohol flavors aren't as obvious as in other Double IPAs, probably because this beer's ABV is "only" 7.6 percent. The quality of this beer leads me to believe it was very fresh.

The mouthfeel is smooth and substantial.

This is a very drinkable beer. I wish beer this fresh and good was available here in Florida.

4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

I'm not sure what people are complaining about. Eat a hop pellet. Chew on it and memorize its flavor. That's what this beer tastes like. And that's what it advertises. It's very hoppy and a nice diversion from the rest of the stuff you can get. Malty? Not really, but they obviously had to start with a lot of malt to get the ABV where it is.

4.42/5  rDev +16.6%

Draught @ O’Brien’s San Diego
The beer resides in the glass a golden amber color, the head big and white, the texture creamy with the lace a tight sheet upon the glass. “Whoa Nellie”, hops floral to the max, sweet and a treat for the old schnozzle, start is sweet and nicely malted with the top middling in it’s feel to the palate. Finish is delectable in it’s a acidity, the hops potent and pleasing to us hop heads, the aftertaste dry and long lasting, and a remarkable companion to O’Brien’s Garlic Fries, raw Garlic and ton’s of hops “Yummy”! Lol

4.37/5  rDev +15.3%

pours a golden/apple juice hue with a one finger head. very crisp, fresh aroma. like smelling the great outdoors! This baby tasted great. It's not called hop juice for nothing! great dry, bitter flavors backed by very little malt (not much you can taste at least), yet contains surprisingly great body. Also some citrus notes floating around that seem to balance out the drier hop aspects. it's thick (not to mention the low carbonation) and makes the hoppiness easier to consume. They say you should drink hoppy beers at the freshest, this tasted damn fresh, or just really hoppy. While I think there are a few better DIPAs out there, this is definitely entering my list of good ones. Its intention is to give you a hoppy beer, nothing else. It's not out of control, but very focussed for how much hops are in here. I'm really enjoying this first bottle. I'm definitely getting more.

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%

This hop-filled beverage was actually sweet on the palate and very easy to drink. The yellow golden complexion was quite common for an IPA. The 22oz. bottle was just the right size to get a nice buzz from a tasty beer. I bought this at Whole Foods for about 6 bucks.

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%

A: Maple carrot color with some chill haze to it. Head started nice but quickly fell to an off white film.

S: Candied orange, fresh spruce, lime zest and faint butterscotch.

T: Begins with bitter orange peel, squeezed OJ, cumquat and pink grapefruit. Massive fresh pine forest floor hits, sending the taste buds into a spiral from the bitterness. A faint drizzle of honey helps transition from the hops to the underlying malt backbone. Bit of carmelized onion, raw dough and a good amount of rendered light brown sugar with molasses makes sets the foundation. Finishes bitter with lingering orange zest.

M: Medium body, hard across the palate with a sharp carbonation.

D: Great beer. Good dimensionality with focused balance. An enjoyable DIPA.

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%

Sampled on tap during the judging of the Lucky Baldwin's IPA Festival. The sample was not blind judged as I was retrieving the beers.

Sampled in a Belgian tulip glass straight off the tap and a fresh keg.

Beer arrives in the glass pale copper with a high white head that holds well through to the glass.

Aroma is a big ass sdouble huge resin and catty pine cones with a deep musky and earthy hold that stays fresh through.

Flavor is similiar to the aroma, big agressive, chewy. Seriously chewy like an oatmeal cookie, but with the bitterness of hops instead of raisins. The rest of the flavor is slappy and strong and potent.

Topnotch, tasty beer.

4.32/5  rDev +14%

On tap at Quotations last night. It's been a LONGGG time since I've made the acquaintance of this bad boy.

The beer pours a rich, honey orange color with decent head retention and impressive sticky lacing. This looks like a serious (DIPA), which of course it is. On the nose this beer is just wild, exoctic stuff. I get a huge blast of apricot, coupled with pine and underlying hoppy citrus. There was so much apricot I had my friend smell the beer as well, as I was concerned something might be wrong with my sense of smell. However, she confirmed the aroma of apricot and honey. On the palate, this is one impressive beer. There is an interesting sweet malt base to the beer, which is not something I ususally enjoy in a DIPA. However, it's so beautifully blended with the hop profile, that it really gives this beer some intriguing flavors. There is apricot, cherry and honey, but it's buoyed by some nice hoppy citrus. The citrus flavors blend nicely with the malt, which I think is why there is such a smorgasbord of fruit flavors. The beer is medium bodied, and while you can tell the abv. is up there (the beer list indicated a 9.4% abv., which I confess seems more consistent with what I was drinking), it's not obtrusive or overbearing.

This was a delicious, rich DIPA, quite unlike most DIPA's out there. It is extremely well crafted, with the panoply of flavors showing the capability of a particularly skilled brewer. Very impressive.

4.32/5  rDev +14%

22oz bottle from the fridge. Freshie from South Bay drugs.

Pours clear copper with a one inch white head into a tulip glass. Plenty of smeary lacework with a partial skimcoat on the surface throughout the glass.

Aromatics lead off with citrus fruit, pine needles, and hard candies. Cotton candy stuck to a pine tree smashed with a grapefruit.
Pungent and resinous.

Medium bodied with a slightly chewy and plenty tacky mouthfeel.

Sugared pink grapefruit, spruce resin, and peach candies start the palate. A light malt backbone tries to step forward but is quickly smashed by a stiff, drying bitterness.
Citrus pith, pine bark, and warming alcohol follow through along with an increasing bitterness.

Finishes with a lingering citrus bite, drying bitterness and pungent hop exhales.

A real hop bomb and uberfresh. The bitterness could be smoothed out a bit, but besides that a teriffic IIPA.

4.32/5  rDev +14%

A - Orange golden clear with slight head & lacing.

S - Lightly juice like, but definitely hops and alcohol, maybe sage, maybe not?

T - Taste is medium/heavy of hops and citrus, not long after tste, alcohol'ish but I like that.

M - Not too carbonated, but has a good medium of drink-ability, slightly "hot" alcoholish.

D - good drink-ability, but might be little "hot" and over the top for some, but still the after taste is not much, very light aftertaste. Pretty good brew, I can tell its got a high alcohol content (9.4).

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

Tap @ Mission Valley. Very nice Imperial. Pours a dark bronze with a slight head. Aroma is hops, pine tar, and perfume. Strong and fresh, even out of the bottle (yes, I've had that too). Taste is very smooth, but with a strong hop flavor. Resiny goodness that play well with the grapefruit. Citrus-sweet finish.

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

I pulled this one off the shelf because it's another DIPA I haven't had a chance to try yet. Reading back through the reviews on Beer Advocate, it's sounding like two distinctly different beers are being reviewed. I did notice that when I popped the cap on this that it wasn't sealed as well as most beers, but could this have caused problems for some of the reviewers?

Appareance -- a finger's worth of tiny bubble head, not the perfect DIPA orange color, but slightly darker.

Smell -- Great! Piney, a bit of citrus.

Taste -- I like a strong tasting beer and this is fine with me -- the alcohol is not masked, you know you're drinking a strong beer.

Mouthfeel -- slightly oily, heavy like a lot of DIPAs.

Drinkability -- I'm perfectly satisfied with this bomber. I'm happy I have 22 ounces -- though I'm nursing it.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

On tap at Oggi's Corona, CA location this beer poured a darker orange/amber color. There's no better description for it than its name "Hop Juice." It smells like concentrated hops oils, and tastes like pure hops oils, but has some malt in the back making it a slightly sweet but not to syrupy, which gives it a very good mouthfeel of hop goodness. The ABV listed on the menu was also over 9.

4.13/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Pellucid copper-gold with a creamy looking off-white vanilla head that has good stability and excellent staying power. Lovely soft carbonation which rolls and pitches with the tip of the glass. Fresh conditioning and clean looking.

Nose: Fresh and green, sappy hops with a lot of pine cones and hop oils. Bitter and Earthy with some soil in the back end.

Taste: Bitter start with some hop oils which pick up in strength. Whilst the hops take centre-stage the nice crisp biscuit malts trace the backstage behind the curtains. The encore is a rasping raw fresh bitterness which lends tasty kick in the nuts right at the death.

Mouthfeel: Hardwearing and rugged with a solid resinous hoppy presence and a bold malty backbone. Lasting hop oils thrash on the tongue, green feeling with some grass stains. Big enough for a Double-IPA but far from OTT.

Drinkability: Very simple to imbibe, had a Pint early on, on its own it just goes down so easily, but with a very spicy Curried Fish platter which I just demolished, it goes extremely well, and now I am close to the bottom of my Growler which I only filled yesterday. Solid enough yet balanced to be a stand alone beer as well as a great accompaniment to hot spicy food, always the mark of a great IPA for me.

Overall: Whilst it is not one of my top 5 favorite home grown Cali IPA’s, which is by no means a detrimental statement given the extremely high level of competition here, it is nevertheless a very solid IPA which I have enjoyed on several occasions. I hate style tags….but be it a West Coast, Double, Triple, American, or whatever IPA tag you stick on this one, it is a damn fine IPA nevertheless. I’m ashamed to say that I have never been to any of the Oggi’s outlets yet, I will have to correct that sooner rather than later. Damn good stuff, it would be nice to see this one in bottles and give it some time in the dark cupboard.

4.13/5  rDev +9%

I'm always up for trying a new Double IPA, my favorite style of beer.

Here we go...

A:Very opaque golden orange color with a nice two finger frothy white head that leaves pretty lacing around the rim of the glass.

Good start here...

S: I have to admit I cracked the bottle open about 2 feet from my nose and I could smell the hops bursting out and invading my olfactory. Anyways... let's see hops hops and more hops with a bit of a caramel and orange.

T: HOLY SHIT! Ummm I really don't think I've ever had a beer that lived up to its name so closely. This is seriously just juice squeezed out of a hop. It's like brushing your teeth with a pine branch AND using pine sap for toothpaste!

MF: Palate killer is right , full bodied and scrumptious.

D: Yikes not sure how much of this one I could have but I'd love to invite friends over to have them share just to watch the look on their face.

If you don't like SUPER bitter beer, stay the hell away from this beer. That being said I loved it!

Hop Juice Double IPA from Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co.