Hop Juice Double IPA - Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co.

Hop Juice Double IPAHop Juice Double IPA

Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co. visit their website

aka Left Coast Hop Juice

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-18-2004)

beerwithoutpants, Mar 01, 2012
1.13/5  rDev -70.2%

This is not a good DIPA. While drinking it I read on the back of the bottle they use hop extract. Duh you can taste it. Tastes like how cat piss would probably taste. Id rather refrigerate some of that and drink it before wasting 5 bucks on one of these. Similar flavor to the hop stoopid. The hop extract just ruins it.

It is just pure laziness of the brewers to use hop extract. I would not ruin beer I brewed with extract. Not even worth running throught the whole 9 yards with a detailed review. I reccoment you look elsewhere if you want a good crisp DIPA with a real hoppy flavor. This is not a quality DIPA. I have had just about every DIPA on the market. This is at the bottom with the hop stoopid.

HOPOLOGIST, Jun 22, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -36.7%

Appearance: Clear, orange with an ivory head.

Smell: some hop aroma, but I'm surprised there isn't more given the 4# of hops/barrel. I can smell the alcohol, which lowers the score for me.

Taste: surprisingly dry and much more malty than I expected given the label says base malt with a touch of caramel. Also tastes hot.

Mouthfeel: light and clean.

Drinkability: too hot for my tastes. Also tastes more like a very fresh bigfoot than a double IPA.

joebrewer, May 26, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -31.4%

The bartender warned me the stuff was totally unbalanced and just about undrinkable. Being the curious type, I had to find out for myself whether he was right. He was. It pours the typical DIPA deep gold and has a sticky white head. The smell is almost nothing but hops and the taste is the same: like drinking the liquid contents of a giant pinecone. The mouthfeel was barely noticeable because the sense are just overwhelmed by hops. Did I mention it's hoppy? Soon will pass the day when brewers are putting "Hop" in a beer name and seeing how high the IBUs can be ramped up before the contents stick in the drinker's throat.

mickeymac, Nov 07, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

mmulebarn, Jan 06, 2014
2.83/5  rDev -25.3%

What comes out of this bottle isn't so much beer as it is...well...hop juice. When I'm in the mood I like a good hop bomb as much as the next guy...next time I'll reach for a Arrogant Bastard or a Furious. Those beers exemplify the fresh citrus/pine bite, pleasant bitterness, and heavy malt background that are the hallmarks of the style. Hop Juice has a little of that citrus/pine on the nose but on the palate it's drowned by bitter syrup which I'm guessing is the hop extract they say they use. It tastes like an extract homebrewer's attempt at a double IPA. Maybe that's too harsh...a good extract homebrewer's attempt at a double IPA.

Recommended Music Pairing: The Who - Who's Next

Buttermaker, Jan 16, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -25.3%

A-pours a very hazy golden yellow liquid with a thin bubbly off white head that dissipates quickly leaving some lace on the glass.

S-the nose is relatively big and brings a very strong aroma of pine resign along with a fair amount of malt in the form of brown sugar and a touch of caramel.

T/M-this is extremely thick and syrupy. almost too syrupy. the taste is a mix of burnt sugar, pine resign, caramel, and a bitter hop finish. very different.

D-it is too syrupy to really enjoy which makes it almost like a resignous blast of sugar and pine like it came straight from the tree.

cpetrone84, Feb 01, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -22.7%

A - Amber, somewhat rusty body with a one inch head leaving nice lacing as the beer goes down.

S - Pine and citrus hops with a vociferous malt backbone and an unfortunate rubbing alcohol nose that much is much too apparent.

T - Malty piney hops. Alcohol again makes its presence known, unfortunately.

M - Smooth and oily and with a dry finish. Alcohol is apparent on the finish as well.

O - A nice DIPA, but the alcohol is too noticeable, detracting from the hop presence. Thanks to the wife for bringing a bottle back from San Clemente!

Hatzilla, Mar 26, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -22.2%

22 oz bottle into a couple of pint glasses. Thanks go to HopDerek for sharing this one.

Pours a clear coppery amber with a couple fingers of foamy eggshell white head. Thin yet creamy retention leaves some thickish lacing back. The aroma is super rich smelling with tropcial fruits...and not much else. Maybe some floral hops and spice, a touch of sticky caramel but this is really uneven towards the citrus.

The taste is very similar to the aroma, being very unbalanced towards the sweeter side of things. There is a ton of citrus and caramel and a good bit of hops as well, which come off as a bit more herbal and resinous, but this is definitley all about the fruits and malts. Finishes with a good bit of leftover tang and light bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a generally creamy feel but there is also a good bit of beef to it as well. A bit too much warmth actually, mixing with the bitterness, herbal qualities, and sweetness, to give this a medicial feel.

Unbalanced and warm aren't qualties that I look for in DIPA, so this was fairly disappointing. I'm not sure how old this bottle was, so I guess that some hop fade could have attributed to the unbalanced nature of this. I'd give this a try on draft sometime, to see how it compares.

Kegatron, Jun 22, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

Bottle courtesy of Bu11zeye: Poured a deep cloudy orangey color ale with a small foamy head with average retention and some good lacing. Aroma consists of a sweet malt base with loads of grassy hops with a dominant bitterness. Taste is an unbalance mix between some grassy and extremely bitter hops with a malt base that I just too sweet for my liking. Body is full with some great carbonation and no alcohol could ever be perceptible over this much hops and malt. I am not sure if my expectation where too high or what, but I didn't enjoy this as much as expected - the balance between the sweet malt and the bitter and grassy hops is hard to digest...

Phyl21ca, Sep 11, 2008

Had high hopes for this west coat imperial but was disappointed with the blatant imbalance between malts and hops... over done on the malts with a lingering bitterness on the tongue... Alcohol was noticeable and pungent...
This beer was overdone in my opinion... The overall flavor profile would benefit from more hops and less malts...

dsa7783, Nov 17, 2009

22 oz. bomber poured into a mug.

Appearance: Mostly clear orange/gold color. Nice off-white head turns into a film after a few minutes but leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Citrus aromas, but neither particularly strong nor enticing.

Taste: Good initial taste with citrus, pine, and some grasses, but the aftertaste is quite bitter -- in a not-so-pleasant way.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with light carbonation, but a tad rough.

Drinkability: Decent ABV, but the aftertaste makes it a bit rough.

Not sure if this is a bad batch, or if the beer is supposed to be this way. Even for someone like me, who enjoys hoppy beers, this is too much -- extremely unbalanced and unpleasantly bitter.

mithrascruor, Dec 17, 2008

99firehawkman, Aug 04, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

Sampled on draft @ Oggi's in Carmel Mountain, San Diego.

This used to be a fine double ipa, but has sadly been changed into something unbalanced, average and in need of quite a bit of tweaking. Once a top 5 for me... now I don't even know.

Pours a brilliant clear copper with a fine offwhite head. laces a bit.

Aroma is dominated by caramel malt and has some estery notes. light hop aroma is present, but does not stand out.

Flavor, unbalanced hop bitterness overloads my palate, hot alcoholic notes mix with caramel and some esters. The strong estery profile I suspect comes from a different yeast strain than previous batches. maybe burton? This beer used to be much cleaner, hop forward and not nearly so harsh.

Mouthfeel is crisply carbonated, peppery and slightly astringent. finishes dry.

This used to be a go-to DIPA for me and unfortunately, I don't think I'll be ordering this again any time soon. I really miss the Tom Nickel version.

R.I.P. Hop Juice

kmcnair, Sep 02, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -18.7%

Brought over fresh from Cali by a friend of mine.

Pours a glowing orange straw color with a 1 finger white head that can't hold itself up more than a minute or two, leaving a paper-thin bubbly frothy coating. The aroma is seriously unique - very sweet, it smells like I cut into a fresh juicy orange. Alcohol is up front and a little solventy - almost like cheap vodka. The thick sweet orange flavors round out the major components of the taste. Pine and strong herbal aromas and flavors come out as it warms. Mouthfeel is resinous and viscous. Shit...I have a whole bomber of this to drink solo. This really might be something good with a year in the cellar, but now....not quite. This is one messy beer.

NCBeernut, Jan 19, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -18.2%

Picked this one up at South Bay Drugs in San Diego. Been wanting to give this one a go for a while. Bomber served up in a standard pint glass.

A: Pours out a dark yellow to orange body. Held to the light, this one is pretty golden yellow with a clear body. There is a good amount of carbonation activity in here. A harsh and vigorous pour yielded a very thin, loose bubbly head that only rises to a quarter finger at best and has little to no retention. The lightest and most minute lace ends up on the glass but it is barely worth mentioning.

S: Getting a fair amount of tropical fruit in the nose. Good amount of pineapple and grapefruit mostly. There is a very little amount of pine resin here in the nose as well. Other than that, there is nothing really more in nose here. A bit disappointing.

T: Taste is a little like the nose. This does have the most pronounced amount of pineapple flavor I have had in a beer. Behind that I am getting a little bit of grapefruit meat and orange skin. There is yet again a little bit of pine resin coming out as well. Touch of brown sugar and caramel make an appearance. Tasty.

M: Medium bodied but I am getting very little carbonation here. Carbonation is very low and leaves this a little more creamy than I was expecting. ABV brings a little bit of warmth on the throat but otherwise is not noticed. Slightly drying on the finish. Aftertaste is pineapple and grapefruit.

D: Hmmm, maybe I had a bad bottle with these carbonation issues. The weird part is that I can see the carbonation in the glass but otherwise it isn't noticeable. The flavors and aroma suffers here and they are all pretty muted. This isn't what I was expecting or led to expect. Shit happens I suppose, still an easy drinking beer, its just under carbed and more sweet than bitter.

everetends, Mar 25, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

Hmmm, me thinks this is an older bottle...

A: Rather nice amber color with a good amount of head but no lacing.

S: Bread, no hops at all, just bread and caramel.

T: More bread and caramel with a hint of lime citrus and pine. again, probably due to an older bottle. I do like the lime, but really it is not enough to sustain.

M: Creamy and full bodied. Nothing harsh about it

D: Meh. I think that pretty much says it all

mikey711, Oct 22, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a golden orange with a small head which disspates to a spotty coating quickly. There is some lacing but minimal. Nose is orange and pine most strongly with some backside of flowery sweet hops. Taste starts sweet enough (orange, pineapple grapefruit and caramel) but quickly moves to bitter and a strong alcohol burn which isn't pleasant. Mouthfeel is chewy, syrupy and cloying with some edge due to the carbonation. While not awful, I coud not drink more than one of these and, with so many great IPA's out there, will pass on buying it again.

regspeir, Jun 25, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Canned pineapple and candied oranges.

Very fruity malt up front, with lots of sweetness. A bit cloying.

Not quite enough hops to balance the overpowering sweetness.

I enjoyed the beer but found it to be a little bit one dimensional in its malt, with the fruitiness taking over most of the palette. The hops do provide some foil but also had their own fruitiness to the beer.

Might be a great beer to pair with dessert or maybe a really spicy dish even, but not very drinkable on its own.

LibraryTom, Jun 15, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Mebuzzard, Thursday at 05:12 AM
3.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Served from the hand pump/cask at Naja's on a lazy saturday afternoon. This brew served as a day capper.

Not a whole lot of head or lacing to speak of, the color was typical DIPA off orange.

This DIPA surprised me in its sweetness. The hop profile was welcomed and indeed it was stiff but this brew had a significant sweet, almost candied type backbone. Maybe this was due to the conditioning but it was somewhat bothersome.

Notes: Its a tough style to rank low because the hop profile can disguise any flaw in a beer. I really liked the attempt at balance for this style but I found myself wanting the hop bomb I was expecting...I could be spoiled by the saturation of DIPA's in Southern California.

DogFood11, Nov 06, 2005
3.3/5  rDev -12.9%

I really don't know what to make of this beer. It kind of grows on you, but tares the enamel off them and isn't overly drinkable. to wit!:
A: pours a nice golden. some carbonation. little bit oh head, that dies pretty quickly
S: clean quick pine and citrus
T: Sharp astringent citrus. and hints of mint. little hints of alcohol but damned is it astringent. not utterly mouth destroying.
M: sharp not really clean, and not really heavy
D: one at tops for me

PSUDREW, Jul 10, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

22 oz bomber, no freshness date. ABV on my sample is listed @ 9.4%

Hazy orange, thin head, no retention, not much in the way of lace.

Aroma is scorched caramel, earthy hops, some citrus.

Flavor is sweet caramel up front with a grapefruit pith finish.

Alcohol is a bit hot going down.

Padron4KM, Sep 26, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

There is too much going on. And due to the ABV this comes in a smaller glass and never on Happy Hour...why, this is an overated beer there and one to avoid if possible.
A: Slight gold/light brown color.
S: Hoppy hits the notes with citrus notes that just jump out.
T: Too sweet and hard for an IPA to enjoy.
M: Milky and alcohol kill this one
O: Have had it several times...it is okay

Armand, Jun 28, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

Had this out of a bottle last night during our IPA night and now that I come to look at the page, the bottle we had was 9.4%, but it says it's from the San Clemente brewery, so this is the one. My review doesn't match up at all with anyone elses, and I don't have any clue how anyone could refer to this beer I had last night as anything even remotely approaching balanced.

Appearance: About what DIPAs tend to look like: Orange-ish golden body with about an inch of head that dissapates pretty quickly and settles into itself. Laces decently as well.

Smell: Hops. And quite a bit of them. Some were fruitier than others, with some pine and citrus as well, but mainly a floral and sweet hop nature to it. Malts peak through just slightly, and that's when I'm looking for them.

Taste: Well, it's interesting. It's hoppy, yes, with a huge upfront slap-to-the-face sweet hoppiness, which isn't necessarily a good thing, as it tastes almost candy-like and resinous. It's pretty chewy, and reminded me of bubble gum in a way. I can't say I was all that happy with it as it was just too sweet on the whole for me, and could use a little more backbone malt to cut down on that. Some of the sweetness could be from the malts, but still, there needs to be something here to fight off the powerful sweetness. I know this is a gimmicky beer, designed to be "too hoppy," but I've had some hoppier beers than this that are much, much better due to having a solid backbone. Still, it's hoppy, and that's what it's designed to be.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated amply and very, very resinous and chewy, but the biggest surprise here was the nearly instantaneous evaporation of any aftertaste after the sweetness fades. Really, it's just there and it's gone.

Drinkability: I've gotta ding this here as it's just too sweet to be all that enjoyed. I had about 6 ounces and that was almost a challenge to get through. With so many other out-of-this-world IPAs in the San Diego realm for the same or a similar price, I don't know why you'd want to settle on this, really.

nomomentwasted, Aug 23, 2009
Hop Juice Double IPA from Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co.