Hop Juice Double IPA - Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co.

Hop Juice Double IPAHop Juice Double IPA

Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-18-2004

aka Left Coast Hop Juice
Ratings: 104 | Reviews: 84
4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

22 ounce bottle, approximately $4.69 from BevMo, Mission Valley, San Diego. No dating evident. States 9.4% ABV.

Appearance: bright medium orange with reddish hints, slightly hazy. Pours with a light, off-white, medium to fairly dense head. Doesn't hold a head at all, leaves significant lacing.

Aroma: raw resiny sweet hops, and a distinct sweet malt note that hints at something like a blond barleywine or maybe even a wheatwine.

Taste: Sweet hoppiness, strong and sharp citrus hoppiness, orange, tangerine. A fairly sweet malt back. It's a nice balance, though the hops could probably stand to be even more assertive.

Mouth: finishes almost hot/sharp with the hops: a fine thing, IMO, for the style.

Overall: a very nice, very drinkable DIPA and a nice example of the style. There might be a tiny bit too much cloying malt sweetness, but it's well done and tasty. Especially at such a good price point (it was under $5 for the bomber) I'd definitely buy it again.

4.02/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Amber in color very little haze some lace nice bit of carbonation but not to much

S: Smellled really nice, grass floral, hoppy freshness! You can tell IBU was high from smell alone

T: Tasted Good, very hoppy as expected from a double IPA. Tha alchohol was present, but mainly grassy pine tastes with bitter HOPS. Very bitter. I loved how bitter.

M: Clean, crisp, then dry. Nice mouthfeel.

D: I really enjoyed this beer. I was in the mood for a very bitter IPA and thats what I got. Its a bit much to drink more then the 750ml, but 750 was not too much either.

2.98/5  rDev -21.2%

Bottle courtesy of Bu11zeye: Poured a deep cloudy orangey color ale with a small foamy head with average retention and some good lacing. Aroma consists of a sweet malt base with loads of grassy hops with a dominant bitterness. Taste is an unbalance mix between some grassy and extremely bitter hops with a malt base that I just too sweet for my liking. Body is full with some great carbonation and no alcohol could ever be perceptible over this much hops and malt. I am not sure if my expectation where too high or what, but I didn't enjoy this as much as expected - the balance between the sweet malt and the bitter and grassy hops is hard to digest...

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

I'm always up for trying a new Double IPA, my favorite style of beer.

Here we go...

A:Very opaque golden orange color with a nice two finger frothy white head that leaves pretty lacing around the rim of the glass.

Good start here...

S: I have to admit I cracked the bottle open about 2 feet from my nose and I could smell the hops bursting out and invading my olfactory. Anyways... let's see hops hops and more hops with a bit of a caramel and orange.

T: HOLY SHIT! Ummm I really don't think I've ever had a beer that lived up to its name so closely. This is seriously just juice squeezed out of a hop. It's like brushing your teeth with a pine branch AND using pine sap for toothpaste!

MF: Palate killer is right , full bodied and scrumptious.

D: Yikes not sure how much of this one I could have but I'd love to invite friends over to have them share just to watch the look on their face.

If you don't like SUPER bitter beer, stay the hell away from this beer. That being said I loved it!

3.46/5  rDev -8.5%

Grabbed a growler while passing through Apple Valley. It's called Hop Juice on their menu, though I think some other locations may call it Left Coast Hop Juice.

Golden orange amber. I love tri-toned beer. Hazy. Good head, swell of replenishing bubbles.

Smells like sour hops. I mean I can smell some mouth watering hops, but there is a sour scent in there as well. Kinda conflicting with each other, like one doesn't belong.

Hops are really subdued in flavor compared to the smell. Hang on a second. ***Gets a palate cleansing saltine*** ***Eats it*** No, there is something odd. Not bad, but not great.

I love to try beer from small micros who have the balls to brew in the first place, but this one is little more than OK for me. Different kind of flavor.

Overall: don't worry, none of this growler will go to waste!

4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

Good lord, what a palate blaster.

Pours a syrupy, orangey color with a two inch white foam head. Smelled like pine, citrus, and grapefruit.

The flavor is as much barleywine as DIPA, but it's pretty scorching with citrus, grapefruit, pine, and even a bit of balancing malt. Incredibly juicy with citrus. Basically, I couldn't drink anything after this as my tastebuds were apparently warped for a few hours.

Nice sticky mouthfeel.

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

A: Maple carrot color with some chill haze to it. Head started nice but quickly fell to an off white film.

S: Candied orange, fresh spruce, lime zest and faint butterscotch.

T: Begins with bitter orange peel, squeezed OJ, cumquat and pink grapefruit. Massive fresh pine forest floor hits, sending the taste buds into a spiral from the bitterness. A faint drizzle of honey helps transition from the hops to the underlying malt backbone. Bit of carmelized onion, raw dough and a good amount of rendered light brown sugar with molasses makes sets the foundation. Finishes bitter with lingering orange zest.

M: Medium body, hard across the palate with a sharp carbonation.

D: Great beer. Good dimensionality with focused balance. An enjoyable DIPA.

4.52/5  rDev +19.6%

Pint from Oggi's in Corona tonight when girlfriend and I went out for some pizza

Color was a medium orange with a very silky 1/2 inch head, which looked more like it belonged to a stout rather than a double IPA, settled down fairly quickly but left lots of lacing in the process

Smell was nice and full of pine and citrus, definitely got some grassy scents followed by small amounts of lemon accents, prediction was that sweetness would be more heavy than hoppy flavor because of the presence of malt in the aroma

Taste was nicely balanced, more hops than malt, so the opposite of what I originally thought, still a little sweet but amazing, one of the better types of this style of beer I have tasted, and I did not seem to think I would be finding it at this place in the middle of nowhere off of the 15 freeway, dryness turns into an orange-like taste with a little tart followed by a piney finish, taste lasted long and kept biting away at my taste buds, could definitely use some bottles of this, tasted a lot like Pliny the Elder from Russian River and Maharaja by Avery to me, very smooth and crisp with a nice citrus complexity for an IPA of this kind

Could drink a couple pints of this and then the nine percent alcohol would start making me pay for it, strong beer and the alcohol is hidden well in the drink and it is pretty light on the stomach, went great with my pizza

Highly recommended, especially if you are going to this place, Oggi's best beer hands down, only seasonal though unfortunately, will be having this again when I make back out there

3.32/5  rDev -12.2%

22 oz bomber, no freshness date. ABV on my sample is listed @ 9.4%

Hazy orange, thin head, no retention, not much in the way of lace.

Aroma is scorched caramel, earthy hops, some citrus.

Flavor is sweet caramel up front with a grapefruit pith finish.

Alcohol is a bit hot going down.

4.57/5  rDev +20.9%

Growler from Oggi's Orange, CA while hanging with the Bum.

Deep burnished, polished copper penny firey vitreous orange hue topped with a lace coating the glass beige dense head cap.

Nose erupts with an exquisite balance of copious hops mixed with a husky and even a floral malt backing. A kiss of awl-kee-hawl booziness sends up a red flag that this one will knock you on yer azz if you go the distance. Cornicopia of fruits here...cherries, pears and canteloupe.

First swigs: Sizzle of huge hop front. Orange peel, fresh orange slices, tangerine, lemon zesty peel, bright citrus fruit. Tang juice with a solid middle of the road balance of Starburst candy.

Feel is a thick full bodied 2IPA. Sugary and syrupy with plenty of punch to go 'round. Zippy crisp carbonation leaving a linger of hop acidity.

Last swigs: Starburt fruit chews 2IPA that reminds me an awful lot of Yulesmith Summer. An Excellent 2IPA that should be a topped ranked contender. $14 is a bargain. EXCELLENT!

Beer is goo. Happy big beering!

4.6/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to Blitheringidiot for this growler. I've been wanting to try it for a long time.
Pours a nice golden orange with a pretty craggy 2 finger head that becomes top coating sticky lacing.
Aroma is all hops...fresh clean citrus hops and pine ois.
Flavor is (surprise?)....HOPS...sweet malt to start then a mixture of hop varieties finishing to a light sweetness and grapefruit peel.
Mouthfeel is smooth and not cloying at all.
A very nice balance exists in this hop bomb.
Woo Hoo!
Good stuff.

3.93/5  rDev +4%

Medium dark amber. Fairly clear nice head. Typical 2xipa. Smell is not that strong of hops. More bready with some lemon thrown in. Taste high malt profile here. Somewhat unexpected from a double. This is tasting better as it goes down. Very bready with some sweetness from the alcohol which is noticeable. The hops round it out in the aftertaste. It doesn't hit you up front with the hops despite the name. I was expecting a true hop bomb. This is an interesting take. I thought the first sip was so so but I am enjoying it as it goes down. Mouthfeel is a nice full body slightly on the thick side. D pretty good. A surprise. I would suggest a different name for this. The hops are there but its well balanced.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

On tap at Oggi's Corona, CA location this beer poured a darker orange/amber color. There's no better description for it than its name "Hop Juice." It smells like concentrated hops oils, and tastes like pure hops oils, but has some malt in the back making it a slightly sweet but not to syrupy, which gives it a very good mouthfeel of hop goodness. The ABV listed on the menu was also over 9.

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

On tap at Carmel Country Road. This batch was 7.99% listed. Orange with minimal lace. Strong with heavy malt, good mouthfeel. Every hop they can find and put together here, cascade, warrior, amerillo, etc. etc. And dry-hopping. Oily. Better than average example of this style which I believe are overated.

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%

Originally reviewed November 26, 2006. On tap at Pizza Port, Carlsbad. Musky aroma of Columbus or Cascade, with hop resins and musky lemon tones domianting. Burnished copper pour, orange and gold. Flavor is a sweet, sticky honey-lucious. Astringent and heavily bitter, I find the hop character in this beer somewhat one dimensional and resin driven. There isn’t an interplay between floral and biting. Yet, flavorful and full of cascade orange qualities. There are pears and tannic pear skins, that play with a more grapefruit level. Palate edges sweet and sticky, but a long continually morphing hop character build creative play.

4.12/5  rDev +9%

On tap at the 10th Annual San Diego Strong Ale Festival.

Poured a nice amber hue. The aroma was wonderfully pungent. The nose was dominated by an explosive burst of resiny and citrusy hops. A light and sweet maltiness poked through at the end.

The flavor of the beer was primarily that of citrusy hops of a light caramel maltiness to help round things out. The hops were powerful, but the beer was very smooth. It was well attenuated and wasn't too sweet, which is were many double IPAs can loose points. The beer had a nice spiciness that I prefer in DIPAs.

The mouthfeel was crisp and the carbonation seemed dialed in just right.

An excellent "San Diego" Pale Ale.

2.61/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The bartender warned me the stuff was totally unbalanced and just about undrinkable. Being the curious type, I had to find out for myself whether he was right. He was. It pours the typical DIPA deep gold and has a sticky white head. The smell is almost nothing but hops and the taste is the same: like drinking the liquid contents of a giant pinecone. The mouthfeel was barely noticeable because the sense are just overwhelmed by hops. Did I mention it's hoppy? Soon will pass the day when brewers are putting "Hop" in a beer name and seeing how high the IBUs can be ramped up before the contents stick in the drinker's throat.

3.06/5  rDev -19%

Sampled on draft @ Oggi's in Carmel Mountain, San Diego.

This used to be a fine double ipa, but has sadly been changed into something unbalanced, average and in need of quite a bit of tweaking. Once a top 5 for me... now I don't even know.

Pours a brilliant clear copper with a fine offwhite head. laces a bit.

Aroma is dominated by caramel malt and has some estery notes. light hop aroma is present, but does not stand out.

Flavor, unbalanced hop bitterness overloads my palate, hot alcoholic notes mix with caramel and some esters. The strong estery profile I suspect comes from a different yeast strain than previous batches. maybe burton? This beer used to be much cleaner, hop forward and not nearly so harsh.

Mouthfeel is crisply carbonated, peppery and slightly astringent. finishes dry.

This used to be a go-to DIPA for me and unfortunately, I don't think I'll be ordering this again any time soon. I really miss the Tom Nickel version.

R.I.P. Hop Juice

4.57/5  rDev +20.9%

on tap at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena

This is one of the best examples of the deliciousness of the West Coast DIPA.

It has the same beautiful floral aroma you'll find in the Plinys, Maharaja - better hopbombs. In fact this could be mistaken for a Pliny the Elder, I'd imagine.

I really can't think of more to say about this fine beer, other than if you cross paths with it - drink it, you'll be better for it.

4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

Light Gold. Wonderfully fruity and fresh hop aroma (cantaloupe, resin, peach, grapefruit, resin and pine). Hop flavors continue on in the flavor profile, mainly pine and citrus fruits (lemon, grapefruit) but this Double IPA actually had some malt flavor and body to back it up. This is what it says it is...Hop Juice.

3.28/5  rDev -13.2%

Served from the hand pump/cask at Naja's on a lazy saturday afternoon. This brew served as a day capper.

Not a whole lot of head or lacing to speak of, the color was typical DIPA off orange.

This DIPA surprised me in its sweetness. The hop profile was welcomed and indeed it was stiff but this brew had a significant sweet, almost candied type backbone. Maybe this was due to the conditioning but it was somewhat bothersome.

Notes: Its a tough style to rank low because the hop profile can disguise any flaw in a beer. I really liked the attempt at balance for this style but I found myself wanting the hop bomb I was expecting...I could be spoiled by the saturation of DIPA's in Southern California.

4.12/5  rDev +9%

Served on tap at Oggi's in Del Mar.

Appearnace: Golden orange to light brown in color. The head is stiff and reduces down to thick islands with a nice lacing and retention.

Smell: Strong pine hop nose with a bit of a floral aroma and honey. The hop nose mixes with a light maltiness to give a more earthy character.

Taste: At first taste there is a blistering hop flavor up front. Once my palate adjusts after a few sips the bitterness is not quite so much of a killer. This beer has a nice sweetness of candy sugar or brown sugar that is not usually found in IPAs or DIPAs. The sweetness is creative and tasty and adds some balance to this hop monster. There are some fruity esters along with pine and a very sweet and malty animal. This beer is almost too sweet but it is reigned in at the end. Tasty and bold in all directions.

Mouthfeel: This beer is actually drying on the palate and clean with a medium body.

Drinkabilty: Big time hop flavor is a bit hard to swallow at first but the sweetness makes for a nice balance. This is not a beer I could drink all day because it is so bitter and sweet at the same time. But Oggi's can be proud that their DIPA has much more to offer than most DIPAs.

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance: Pellucid copper-gold with a creamy looking off-white vanilla head that has good stability and excellent staying power. Lovely soft carbonation which rolls and pitches with the tip of the glass. Fresh conditioning and clean looking.

Nose: Fresh and green, sappy hops with a lot of pine cones and hop oils. Bitter and Earthy with some soil in the back end.

Taste: Bitter start with some hop oils which pick up in strength. Whilst the hops take centre-stage the nice crisp biscuit malts trace the backstage behind the curtains. The encore is a rasping raw fresh bitterness which lends tasty kick in the nuts right at the death.

Mouthfeel: Hardwearing and rugged with a solid resinous hoppy presence and a bold malty backbone. Lasting hop oils thrash on the tongue, green feeling with some grass stains. Big enough for a Double-IPA but far from OTT.

Drinkability: Very simple to imbibe, had a Pint early on, on its own it just goes down so easily, but with a very spicy Curried Fish platter which I just demolished, it goes extremely well, and now I am close to the bottom of my Growler which I only filled yesterday. Solid enough yet balanced to be a stand alone beer as well as a great accompaniment to hot spicy food, always the mark of a great IPA for me.

Overall: Whilst it is not one of my top 5 favorite home grown Cali IPA’s, which is by no means a detrimental statement given the extremely high level of competition here, it is nevertheless a very solid IPA which I have enjoyed on several occasions. I hate style tags….but be it a West Coast, Double, Triple, American, or whatever IPA tag you stick on this one, it is a damn fine IPA nevertheless. I’m ashamed to say that I have never been to any of the Oggi’s outlets yet, I will have to correct that sooner rather than later. Damn good stuff, it would be nice to see this one in bottles and give it some time in the dark cupboard.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Bless the West Coast beers! I had several glasses of this fine ale at the Marriott in downtown San Diego under the Left Coast name. Who would have thought that a Mormon hotel chain would have great beer on-tap?

This is a rich deep golden color with a frothy white head. It practically glows. The smells is hops, hops and hops.

The taste is very good. It is leaning on the sweet side, rather than being a bitter bomb. There are lots of flavors of hops in the taste, too. With a name like Hop Juice, what did you expect? Alcohol flavors aren't as obvious as in other Double IPAs, probably because this beer's ABV is "only" 7.6 percent. The quality of this beer leads me to believe it was very fresh.

The mouthfeel is smooth and substantial.

This is a very drinkable beer. I wish beer this fresh and good was available here in Florida.

4.67/5  rDev +23.5%

I had this on tap at the Oggis in Orange.

the color was a nice copper with hues of orange with a small white head. It's smell was a clean citrus with a taste of solid grapgefruit/orange peel... kind of like when your first peel an orange and you smell the nice aroma. It was just so legit and solid. I really loved this brew and had another back to back. As a matter of fact, I may go back and get a growler for the weekend. It felt very crisp in the mouth, yet balanced and went down great.

A pefect match to the hot wings i had. If i found this bottled, it would be a regular in my refrigerator.

Edit: I just had this on tap again, over at Hollingshead. Damn, I forgot how good this taste. It really is a gem of a DIPA. I had to change my taste rating now that my palate is much more developed.

Hop Juice Double IPA from Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co.