Hop Juice Double IPA - Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co.

Hop Juice Double IPAHop Juice Double IPA

Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co. visit their website

aka Left Coast Hop Juice

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-18-2004)
3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Canned pineapple and candied oranges.

Very fruity malt up front, with lots of sweetness. A bit cloying.

Not quite enough hops to balance the overpowering sweetness.

I enjoyed the beer but found it to be a little bit one dimensional in its malt, with the fruitiness taking over most of the palette. The hops do provide some foil but also had their own fruitiness to the beer.

Might be a great beer to pair with dessert or maybe a really spicy dish even, but not very drinkable on its own.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

Chill hazed amber colored beer the color of apple cider. Normal sized off-white head.

Strong citrus hop aroma, both grapefruit and oranges. Malt and toffee with a strange chocolate cake scent. Strong caramel aroma is under the hops if you manage to pick it apart.

Starts out strong and bitter, something like a hop cough syrup. Strongly hopped but tastes more herbal than citrus. Savory flavor, heavy on wood and pineapple with some mango. Little bit of melon flavor, shares some aspects of a Barleywine, this one straddles two beer styles.

Mouthfeel is good.

Little bit of a disappointment, I had hoped for more of a citrus hop bomb and actually got something closer to a Barleywine. This is good just not quite what I had expected.

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint glass. I know this bottle was about 5 months old, so it was not the freshest.

A: A medium amber orange color with a minimal white head. Glass lacing was also minimal, but there.

S: I got huge pine notes with some citrus and caramel and honey sweet.

T: Huge hop hit up front with massive amounts of pine earth and grass. I pick up some citrus and grapefruit that I bet it more prevelant when fresh. Midway through the sweetness comes through with flavors of honey and caramel malt. Sweetness finishes with some hops bitterness coming back in.

M: Thick and full an prickly. A hint of alcohol is tasted.

D: Medium, one bomber was more than enough.

Good DIPA that I bet is even better when fresh. I see it is making it's rounds here in PA in kegs, so I'll have to seek it out and try it fresh. Still it's a good beer even the way I had it.

A - Reddish amber with a white head that faded quickly

S - Mild hops with a hint of alcohol

T - Pretty strong malt presence with a medium hop bitterness. Quite a vegetal flavor aftertaste. Balanced in flavor in comparison to most IIPA's.

M - Medium-heavy carbonation and medium in body

D - Very drinkable, not much going on and very balanced. Not much to remember, however.

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

Loved the name of this beer and was looking forward to over-the-top hops!

Poured a nice amber color into a pint glass, left a bit of lace as I drank.

First sip was all about citrus, especially grapefruit. I prefer my DIPA's to be a bit more balanced-- this was very citrusy and piney!

Wouldn't seek it out again, but it was worth the effort!

4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

22oz bottle from the fridge. Freshie from South Bay drugs.

Pours clear copper with a one inch white head into a tulip glass. Plenty of smeary lacework with a partial skimcoat on the surface throughout the glass.

Aromatics lead off with citrus fruit, pine needles, and hard candies. Cotton candy stuck to a pine tree smashed with a grapefruit.
Pungent and resinous.

Medium bodied with a slightly chewy and plenty tacky mouthfeel.

Sugared pink grapefruit, spruce resin, and peach candies start the palate. A light malt backbone tries to step forward but is quickly smashed by a stiff, drying bitterness.
Citrus pith, pine bark, and warming alcohol follow through along with an increasing bitterness.

Finishes with a lingering citrus bite, drying bitterness and pungent hop exhales.

A real hop bomb and uberfresh. The bitterness could be smoothed out a bit, but besides that a teriffic IIPA.

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

Reviewed 1/3/2008 (bottle from T's liquors, AZ):

Pours a semi-cloudy orange colored body, with a small white head, quickly diminishing. Piney hoppy aroma. Some malts, dry. Dry taste, hops, acidic. Bitter. Warming up, not as bitter, but still dry & constricting.

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

Picked up in San Diego.

This is a very unique DIPA. It has all of the hop bitterness I crave, but not a lot of floral notes. Not even so much grapefruit, but a lot of grapefruit rind taste. I'm enjoying it, but it's not typical for the DIPA style.

There's something I can't quite put my finger on, sort of a licorice note set against the hops that seems odd, but strangely good.

I would revisit it to give it another try if it was available in my area, but wouldn't seek it out for another journey in my checked luggage.

4.38/5  rDev +15.6%

This hop-filled beverage was actually sweet on the palate and very easy to drink. The yellow golden complexion was quite common for an IPA. The 22oz. bottle was just the right size to get a nice buzz from a tasty beer. I bought this at Whole Foods for about 6 bucks.

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

Whats not to like about this Beer. This is a great Double IPA.. NIce golden hue, big head that goes away quick but leaves a nice sticky lacing. First off no carmel maltiness here? I assume people reporting this bought an out date one...Hop aroma is heavenly. Hops in the nose and real nice hop bitterness. Hard to believe the ABV is 9.4% A real nice warmer and very easy to drink. This beer gets a big Phatty A from me...TRY it! Hoppiness is a warm gun...CHEERS

22 oz. bomber poured into a mug.

Appearance: Mostly clear orange/gold color. Nice off-white head turns into a film after a few minutes but leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Citrus aromas, but neither particularly strong nor enticing.

Taste: Good initial taste with citrus, pine, and some grasses, but the aftertaste is quite bitter -- in a not-so-pleasant way.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with light carbonation, but a tad rough.

Drinkability: Decent ABV, but the aftertaste makes it a bit rough.

Not sure if this is a bad batch, or if the beer is supposed to be this way. Even for someone like me, who enjoys hoppy beers, this is too much -- extremely unbalanced and unpleasantly bitter.

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a clear orange-amber color with a about two fingers of head. Lots of sticky lacing clings to the glass.

The aroma is bursting with citrus hops. Fresh grapefruit, orange zest, apricot....yum. There is a bit of piney/grassy hops lingering in the background and a honey sweetness. Smells delicious.

The flavor doesn't disappoint at all. Big, brash, in your face hops at first sip, but they are quickly followed by a nice calming honey sweetness that helps to balance it somewhat. A little bit fruity, too. Those hops come barging back at the finish reminding you that this is a DIPA. Sweetness grows as I further into the glass/bottle...malts are coming through a lot more at the end.

Good feel to it. Slightly oily and a bit drying in the aftertaste just like I expected. One bomber went down fairly easy. Glad I finally found this one.

4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

Tap @ Mission Valley. Very nice Imperial. Pours a dark bronze with a slight head. Aroma is hops, pine tar, and perfume. Strong and fresh, even out of the bottle (yes, I've had that too). Taste is very smooth, but with a strong hop flavor. Resiny goodness that play well with the grapefruit. Citrus-sweet finish.

4.85/5  rDev +28%

This beer is so unique. Wow! I have never experianced a beer like this ever. It's so fun to drink and evaluate.

It pours a beautiful hazy darker gold. With a nice medium creamy off white head that sticks around with some nice lace...

My goodness, I'm picking up sweet candied grapefruit cake in the aroma and flavor. Also candied oranges! The nose is so stong with candied grapefruit.

In the flavor is very nice with soft to a little chunky bitterness and candied resinous hop grapefruit.

The mouthfeel is smooth and a dry finish.

So much fun to drink.

A - Pours a hazy golden color into my pint glass, with minimal foaming that left a layer of small bubbles. Good lacing throughout the glass

S - Strong citrus aromas along with grassy notes and maybe a bit of honey

T - Strong hop blast, grassy and alcohol notes. It seems to have a bit of pepper in the finish that sticks with you.

M/D - Overall a good brew, I don't think I would want to drink alot at one time, but its a nice one to try every now and then.

3.78/5  rDev -0.3%

had on tap at Capone's on 11.19.08

pours a clear orange amber. a decent head, but not too big and it didn't last too long. great citrus hop nose. bursting all about the glass and dancing around my nose as I was inhaling it fresh hop aroma.

taste was nice and a bit of a surprise. much more of a malty backbone than I was expecting. had a bit of a woodsy taste, maybe a hint of some roasted malts in there as well. taste was very crisp coating and covering the entire mouth. nice beer.

4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

On tap at Quotations last night. It's been a LONGGG time since I've made the acquaintance of this bad boy.

The beer pours a rich, honey orange color with decent head retention and impressive sticky lacing. This looks like a serious (DIPA), which of course it is. On the nose this beer is just wild, exoctic stuff. I get a huge blast of apricot, coupled with pine and underlying hoppy citrus. There was so much apricot I had my friend smell the beer as well, as I was concerned something might be wrong with my sense of smell. However, she confirmed the aroma of apricot and honey. On the palate, this is one impressive beer. There is an interesting sweet malt base to the beer, which is not something I ususally enjoy in a DIPA. However, it's so beautifully blended with the hop profile, that it really gives this beer some intriguing flavors. There is apricot, cherry and honey, but it's buoyed by some nice hoppy citrus. The citrus flavors blend nicely with the malt, which I think is why there is such a smorgasbord of fruit flavors. The beer is medium bodied, and while you can tell the abv. is up there (the beer list indicated a 9.4% abv., which I confess seems more consistent with what I was drinking), it's not obtrusive or overbearing.

This was a delicious, rich DIPA, quite unlike most DIPA's out there. It is extremely well crafted, with the panoply of flavors showing the capability of a particularly skilled brewer. Very impressive.

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance: Pours pale gold with pillowing, off-white, soapy head. Takes forever to die down - pretty annoying actually. As it slowly dies, head drags soapy, blanket-like lacing behind it. Body is clear without the yeast, but becomes almost opaque once the yeast is deposited.

Smell: Sweet tangerine, grapefruit, and alcohol. A lot of fruity sweetness for sure! Grass and herbal, earthy tones come through as well. Something smells a bit funky, and not the good kinda funky... almost like spritzer water.

Taste: Lots of earth, some caramel, and oily hops up front. Lots of herbs and grass. Some citrus, though not nearly as pungent as the smell. Gin-like alcohol. Malt is a little underdone IMHO. Mild astringency.

Mouthfeel: A little lighter than I had hoped. Malt backbone is a little weak, and makes body feel kind of thin. Mouth coating is pretty good. Nice warming effects as well.

Drinkability: ABV isn't masked too well, however this is a pretty enjoyable I2PA that's light and smooth. Flavor is good, not great, but this is definitely easy to drink.

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

22 ounce bottle, approximately $4.69 from BevMo, Mission Valley, San Diego. No dating evident. States 9.4% ABV.

Appearance: bright medium orange with reddish hints, slightly hazy. Pours with a light, off-white, medium to fairly dense head. Doesn't hold a head at all, leaves significant lacing.

Aroma: raw resiny sweet hops, and a distinct sweet malt note that hints at something like a blond barleywine or maybe even a wheatwine.

Taste: Sweet hoppiness, strong and sharp citrus hoppiness, orange, tangerine. A fairly sweet malt back. It's a nice balance, though the hops could probably stand to be even more assertive.

Mouth: finishes almost hot/sharp with the hops: a fine thing, IMO, for the style.

Overall: a very nice, very drinkable DIPA and a nice example of the style. There might be a tiny bit too much cloying malt sweetness, but it's well done and tasty. Especially at such a good price point (it was under $5 for the bomber) I'd definitely buy it again.

A: Amber in color very little haze some lace nice bit of carbonation but not to much

S: Smellled really nice, grass floral, hoppy freshness! You can tell IBU was high from smell alone

T: Tasted Good, very hoppy as expected from a double IPA. Tha alchohol was present, but mainly grassy pine tastes with bitter HOPS. Very bitter. I loved how bitter.

M: Clean, crisp, then dry. Nice mouthfeel.

D: I really enjoyed this beer. I was in the mood for a very bitter IPA and thats what I got. Its a bit much to drink more then the 750ml, but 750 was not too much either.

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

Bottle courtesy of Bu11zeye: Poured a deep cloudy orangey color ale with a small foamy head with average retention and some good lacing. Aroma consists of a sweet malt base with loads of grassy hops with a dominant bitterness. Taste is an unbalance mix between some grassy and extremely bitter hops with a malt base that I just too sweet for my liking. Body is full with some great carbonation and no alcohol could ever be perceptible over this much hops and malt. I am not sure if my expectation where too high or what, but I didn't enjoy this as much as expected - the balance between the sweet malt and the bitter and grassy hops is hard to digest...

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

I'm always up for trying a new Double IPA, my favorite style of beer.

Here we go...

A:Very opaque golden orange color with a nice two finger frothy white head that leaves pretty lacing around the rim of the glass.

Good start here...

S: I have to admit I cracked the bottle open about 2 feet from my nose and I could smell the hops bursting out and invading my olfactory. Anyways... let's see hops hops and more hops with a bit of a caramel and orange.

T: HOLY SHIT! Ummm I really don't think I've ever had a beer that lived up to its name so closely. This is seriously just juice squeezed out of a hop. It's like brushing your teeth with a pine branch AND using pine sap for toothpaste!

MF: Palate killer is right , full bodied and scrumptious.

D: Yikes not sure how much of this one I could have but I'd love to invite friends over to have them share just to watch the look on their face.

If you don't like SUPER bitter beer, stay the hell away from this beer. That being said I loved it!

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

Grabbed a growler while passing through Apple Valley. It's called Hop Juice on their menu, though I think some other locations may call it Left Coast Hop Juice.

Golden orange amber. I love tri-toned beer. Hazy. Good head, swell of replenishing bubbles.

Smells like sour hops. I mean I can smell some mouth watering hops, but there is a sour scent in there as well. Kinda conflicting with each other, like one doesn't belong.

Hops are really subdued in flavor compared to the smell. Hang on a second. ***Gets a palate cleansing saltine*** ***Eats it*** No, there is something odd. Not bad, but not great.

I love to try beer from small micros who have the balls to brew in the first place, but this one is little more than OK for me. Different kind of flavor.

Overall: don't worry, none of this growler will go to waste!

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Good lord, what a palate blaster.

Pours a syrupy, orangey color with a two inch white foam head. Smelled like pine, citrus, and grapefruit.

The flavor is as much barleywine as DIPA, but it's pretty scorching with citrus, grapefruit, pine, and even a bit of balancing malt. Incredibly juicy with citrus. Basically, I couldn't drink anything after this as my tastebuds were apparently warped for a few hours.

Nice sticky mouthfeel.

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%

A: Maple carrot color with some chill haze to it. Head started nice but quickly fell to an off white film.

S: Candied orange, fresh spruce, lime zest and faint butterscotch.

T: Begins with bitter orange peel, squeezed OJ, cumquat and pink grapefruit. Massive fresh pine forest floor hits, sending the taste buds into a spiral from the bitterness. A faint drizzle of honey helps transition from the hops to the underlying malt backbone. Bit of carmelized onion, raw dough and a good amount of rendered light brown sugar with molasses makes sets the foundation. Finishes bitter with lingering orange zest.

M: Medium body, hard across the palate with a sharp carbonation.

D: Great beer. Good dimensionality with focused balance. An enjoyable DIPA.

Hop Juice Double IPA from Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co.