Hop Juice Double IPA - Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co.

Hop Juice Double IPAHop Juice Double IPA

Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co. visit their website

aka Left Coast Hop Juice

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-18-2004)
4.55/5  rDev +20.1%

Pint from Oggi's in Corona tonight when girlfriend and I went out for some pizza

Color was a medium orange with a very silky 1/2 inch head, which looked more like it belonged to a stout rather than a double IPA, settled down fairly quickly but left lots of lacing in the process

Smell was nice and full of pine and citrus, definitely got some grassy scents followed by small amounts of lemon accents, prediction was that sweetness would be more heavy than hoppy flavor because of the presence of malt in the aroma

Taste was nicely balanced, more hops than malt, so the opposite of what I originally thought, still a little sweet but amazing, one of the better types of this style of beer I have tasted, and I did not seem to think I would be finding it at this place in the middle of nowhere off of the 15 freeway, dryness turns into an orange-like taste with a little tart followed by a piney finish, taste lasted long and kept biting away at my taste buds, could definitely use some bottles of this, tasted a lot like Pliny the Elder from Russian River and Maharaja by Avery to me, very smooth and crisp with a nice citrus complexity for an IPA of this kind

Could drink a couple pints of this and then the nine percent alcohol would start making me pay for it, strong beer and the alcohol is hidden well in the drink and it is pretty light on the stomach, went great with my pizza

Highly recommended, especially if you are going to this place, Oggi's best beer hands down, only seasonal though unfortunately, will be having this again when I make back out there

Floydster, Nov 04, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

22 oz bomber, no freshness date. ABV on my sample is listed @ 9.4%

Hazy orange, thin head, no retention, not much in the way of lace.

Aroma is scorched caramel, earthy hops, some citrus.

Flavor is sweet caramel up front with a grapefruit pith finish.

Alcohol is a bit hot going down.

Padron4KM, Sep 26, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +20.8%

Growler from Oggi's Orange, CA while hanging with the Bum.

Deep burnished, polished copper penny firey vitreous orange hue topped with a lace coating the glass beige dense head cap.

Nose erupts with an exquisite balance of copious hops mixed with a husky and even a floral malt backing. A kiss of awl-kee-hawl booziness sends up a red flag that this one will knock you on yer azz if you go the distance. Cornicopia of fruits here...cherries, pears and canteloupe.

First swigs: Sizzle of huge hop front. Orange peel, fresh orange slices, tangerine, lemon zesty peel, bright citrus fruit. Tang juice with a solid middle of the road balance of Starburst candy.

Feel is a thick full bodied 2IPA. Sugary and syrupy with plenty of punch to go 'round. Zippy crisp carbonation leaving a linger of hop acidity.

Last swigs: Starburt fruit chews 2IPA that reminds me an awful lot of Yulesmith Summer. An Excellent 2IPA that should be a topped ranked contender. $14 is a bargain. EXCELLENT!

Beer is goo. Happy big beering!

blitheringidiot, Mar 29, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to Blitheringidiot for this growler. I've been wanting to try it for a long time.
Pours a nice golden orange with a pretty craggy 2 finger head that becomes top coating sticky lacing.
Aroma is all hops...fresh clean citrus hops and pine ois.
Flavor is (surprise?)....HOPS...sweet malt to start then a mixture of hop varieties finishing to a light sweetness and grapefruit peel.
Mouthfeel is smooth and not cloying at all.
A very nice balance exists in this hop bomb.
Woo Hoo!
Good stuff.

IntriqKen, Mar 29, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Medium dark amber. Fairly clear nice head. Typical 2xipa. Smell is not that strong of hops. More bready with some lemon thrown in. Taste high malt profile here. Somewhat unexpected from a double. This is tasting better as it goes down. Very bready with some sweetness from the alcohol which is noticeable. The hops round it out in the aftertaste. It doesn't hit you up front with the hops despite the name. I was expecting a true hop bomb. This is an interesting take. I thought the first sip was so so but I am enjoying it as it goes down. Mouthfeel is a nice full body slightly on the thick side. D pretty good. A surprise. I would suggest a different name for this. The hops are there but its well balanced.

sleazo, Mar 20, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +12.9%

On tap at Oggi's Corona, CA location this beer poured a darker orange/amber color. There's no better description for it than its name "Hop Juice." It smells like concentrated hops oils, and tastes like pure hops oils, but has some malt in the back making it a slightly sweet but not to syrupy, which gives it a very good mouthfeel of hop goodness. The ABV listed on the menu was also over 9.

MiScusi, Mar 11, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

On tap at Carmel Country Road. This batch was 7.99% listed. Orange with minimal lace. Strong with heavy malt, good mouthfeel. Every hop they can find and put together here, cascade, warrior, amerillo, etc. etc. And dry-hopping. Oily. Better than average example of this style which I believe are overated.

Sammy, Feb 11, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

Originally reviewed November 26, 2006. On tap at Pizza Port, Carlsbad. Musky aroma of Columbus or Cascade, with hop resins and musky lemon tones domianting. Burnished copper pour, orange and gold. Flavor is a sweet, sticky honey-lucious. Astringent and heavily bitter, I find the hop character in this beer somewhat one dimensional and resin driven. There isn’t an interplay between floral and biting. Yet, flavorful and full of cascade orange qualities. There are pears and tannic pear skins, that play with a more grapefruit level. Palate edges sweet and sticky, but a long continually morphing hop character build creative play.

CharlesDarwin, Dec 19, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

On tap at the 10th Annual San Diego Strong Ale Festival.

Poured a nice amber hue. The aroma was wonderfully pungent. The nose was dominated by an explosive burst of resiny and citrusy hops. A light and sweet maltiness poked through at the end.

The flavor of the beer was primarily that of citrusy hops of a light caramel maltiness to help round things out. The hops were powerful, but the beer was very smooth. It was well attenuated and wasn't too sweet, which is were many double IPAs can loose points. The beer had a nice spiciness that I prefer in DIPAs.

The mouthfeel was crisp and the carbonation seemed dialed in just right.

An excellent "San Diego" Pale Ale.

SacoDeToro, Dec 19, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The bartender warned me the stuff was totally unbalanced and just about undrinkable. Being the curious type, I had to find out for myself whether he was right. He was. It pours the typical DIPA deep gold and has a sticky white head. The smell is almost nothing but hops and the taste is the same: like drinking the liquid contents of a giant pinecone. The mouthfeel was barely noticeable because the sense are just overwhelmed by hops. Did I mention it's hoppy? Soon will pass the day when brewers are putting "Hop" in a beer name and seeing how high the IBUs can be ramped up before the contents stick in the drinker's throat.

mickeymac, Nov 07, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

Sampled on draft @ Oggi's in Carmel Mountain, San Diego.

This used to be a fine double ipa, but has sadly been changed into something unbalanced, average and in need of quite a bit of tweaking. Once a top 5 for me... now I don't even know.

Pours a brilliant clear copper with a fine offwhite head. laces a bit.

Aroma is dominated by caramel malt and has some estery notes. light hop aroma is present, but does not stand out.

Flavor, unbalanced hop bitterness overloads my palate, hot alcoholic notes mix with caramel and some esters. The strong estery profile I suspect comes from a different yeast strain than previous batches. maybe burton? This beer used to be much cleaner, hop forward and not nearly so harsh.

Mouthfeel is crisply carbonated, peppery and slightly astringent. finishes dry.

This used to be a go-to DIPA for me and unfortunately, I don't think I'll be ordering this again any time soon. I really miss the Tom Nickel version.

R.I.P. Hop Juice

kmcnair, Sep 02, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +20.8%

on tap at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena

This is one of the best examples of the deliciousness of the West Coast DIPA.

It has the same beautiful floral aroma you'll find in the Plinys, Maharaja - better hopbombs. In fact this could be mistaken for a Pliny the Elder, I'd imagine.

I really can't think of more to say about this fine beer, other than if you cross paths with it - drink it, you'll be better for it.

sloejams, Jul 21, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Light Gold. Wonderfully fruity and fresh hop aroma (cantaloupe, resin, peach, grapefruit, resin and pine). Hop flavors continue on in the flavor profile, mainly pine and citrus fruits (lemon, grapefruit) but this Double IPA actually had some malt flavor and body to back it up. This is what it says it is...Hop Juice.

Crosling, Mar 16, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Served from the hand pump/cask at Naja's on a lazy saturday afternoon. This brew served as a day capper.

Not a whole lot of head or lacing to speak of, the color was typical DIPA off orange.

This DIPA surprised me in its sweetness. The hop profile was welcomed and indeed it was stiff but this brew had a significant sweet, almost candied type backbone. Maybe this was due to the conditioning but it was somewhat bothersome.

Notes: Its a tough style to rank low because the hop profile can disguise any flaw in a beer. I really liked the attempt at balance for this style but I found myself wanting the hop bomb I was expecting...I could be spoiled by the saturation of DIPA's in Southern California.

DogFood11, Nov 06, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Served on tap at Oggi's in Del Mar.

Appearnace: Golden orange to light brown in color. The head is stiff and reduces down to thick islands with a nice lacing and retention.

Smell: Strong pine hop nose with a bit of a floral aroma and honey. The hop nose mixes with a light maltiness to give a more earthy character.

Taste: At first taste there is a blistering hop flavor up front. Once my palate adjusts after a few sips the bitterness is not quite so much of a killer. This beer has a nice sweetness of candy sugar or brown sugar that is not usually found in IPAs or DIPAs. The sweetness is creative and tasty and adds some balance to this hop monster. There are some fruity esters along with pine and a very sweet and malty animal. This beer is almost too sweet but it is reigned in at the end. Tasty and bold in all directions.

Mouthfeel: This beer is actually drying on the palate and clean with a medium body.

Drinkabilty: Big time hop flavor is a bit hard to swallow at first but the sweetness makes for a nice balance. This is not a beer I could drink all day because it is so bitter and sweet at the same time. But Oggi's can be proud that their DIPA has much more to offer than most DIPAs.

BrewMaster, Oct 19, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Pellucid copper-gold with a creamy looking off-white vanilla head that has good stability and excellent staying power. Lovely soft carbonation which rolls and pitches with the tip of the glass. Fresh conditioning and clean looking.

Nose: Fresh and green, sappy hops with a lot of pine cones and hop oils. Bitter and Earthy with some soil in the back end.

Taste: Bitter start with some hop oils which pick up in strength. Whilst the hops take centre-stage the nice crisp biscuit malts trace the backstage behind the curtains. The encore is a rasping raw fresh bitterness which lends tasty kick in the nuts right at the death.

Mouthfeel: Hardwearing and rugged with a solid resinous hoppy presence and a bold malty backbone. Lasting hop oils thrash on the tongue, green feeling with some grass stains. Big enough for a Double-IPA but far from OTT.

Drinkability: Very simple to imbibe, had a Pint early on, on its own it just goes down so easily, but with a very spicy Curried Fish platter which I just demolished, it goes extremely well, and now I am close to the bottom of my Growler which I only filled yesterday. Solid enough yet balanced to be a stand alone beer as well as a great accompaniment to hot spicy food, always the mark of a great IPA for me.

Overall: Whilst it is not one of my top 5 favorite home grown Cali IPA’s, which is by no means a detrimental statement given the extremely high level of competition here, it is nevertheless a very solid IPA which I have enjoyed on several occasions. I hate style tags….but be it a West Coast, Double, Triple, American, or whatever IPA tag you stick on this one, it is a damn fine IPA nevertheless. I’m ashamed to say that I have never been to any of the Oggi’s outlets yet, I will have to correct that sooner rather than later. Damn good stuff, it would be nice to see this one in bottles and give it some time in the dark cupboard.

TheLongBeachBum, Oct 10, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

Bless the West Coast beers! I had several glasses of this fine ale at the Marriott in downtown San Diego under the Left Coast name. Who would have thought that a Mormon hotel chain would have great beer on-tap?

This is a rich deep golden color with a frothy white head. It practically glows. The smells is hops, hops and hops.

The taste is very good. It is leaning on the sweet side, rather than being a bitter bomb. There are lots of flavors of hops in the taste, too. With a name like Hop Juice, what did you expect? Alcohol flavors aren't as obvious as in other Double IPAs, probably because this beer's ABV is "only" 7.6 percent. The quality of this beer leads me to believe it was very fresh.

The mouthfeel is smooth and substantial.

This is a very drinkable beer. I wish beer this fresh and good was available here in Florida.

Shaw, Aug 06, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +24%

I had this on tap at the Oggis in Orange.

the color was a nice copper with hues of orange with a small white head. It's smell was a clean citrus with a taste of solid grapgefruit/orange peel... kind of like when your first peel an orange and you smell the nice aroma. It was just so legit and solid. I really loved this brew and had another back to back. As a matter of fact, I may go back and get a growler for the weekend. It felt very crisp in the mouth, yet balanced and went down great.

A pefect match to the hot wings i had. If i found this bottled, it would be a regular in my refrigerator.

Edit: I just had this on tap again, over at Hollingshead. Damn, I forgot how good this taste. It really is a gem of a DIPA. I had to change my taste rating now that my palate is much more developed.

SwillinBrew, Mar 11, 2005

On tap at O'Briens

This beer is on the red side for the style. Nice fluffy white head that leaves a nice lace. Hop aroma is strong and citrusy. Packs a good dose of hop bitterness and tremendous hop flavor. Super strong grapefruit rind is a bit out of control for me. Thick caramel backbone.

Overall: bitterness is good, but the extreme grapefruit disagreed with me. Still a solid dIPA

oggg, Jan 24, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Ordered on draught @ Oggi's in Orange, California

This Double IPA arrived with a medium / light copper body capped with a light tan collar of foam comprised mostly of very large bubbles. Clarity (especially for an IPA) was excellent. Deep floral nose with a sweet malt background.

Foretaste is a cheek numbing light-n-bright assault of hops (attempt to appear surprised) which quickly gives way to a very clean midtaste dominated by a very nice (and sweet) grain bill. The finish matches the nose with a glory of floral hops slowly fading into oblivion.

This stands out as a very nice brew which manages to maintain the hop/malt balance. Highly recommended...

IceAce, Jan 02, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +28.8%

Lovely crimson/peach coloring, transparent, pleasing to the eye, with a flush head, thick, proud, and creamy, very inviting, I'm going in...
ahhh, big, fresh citric hops...WOW! Melon, and grapefruit, peach, pineapple, apricot, a bit of mango and even guava, what the hey! Mmmm, this is nice!
Ahhh...very delicious.
On the palate, in the mouth, it's a melange of bitterness, juicyness, extravagant hoppitude...I'll take it slow for more quiet consideration...Big bitter hoppiness, but well matched by luscious, thick, sweet malt. This is a well-put-together product, and other opinions I've scanned regarding any lack of balance are without merit, by my eye. You want a really hoppy, really juicy, spicy IPA, but with sufficient malt to back it up, further aiding the flavor? This is that! Hey, it even reminds me of Masala Mama, and that's saying something!
This is very nice, and gets better with every sip and swallow, has a bright, coppery feel, replete with fruity, hoppiness that pleases my tongue to no end!

feloniousmonk, Nov 02, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +28.8%

Via tap at the Toronado in September, 2004. Had this last week when I was here and had to have it again before I wrote a review. I'm new to Double IPA's and this beer is what has made me try other ones to base them off of. Pours with a decent head that stays for longer than I expected. Smells like a blast of citrus in your face. Lace which stays forever and a taste that just blows me away. Huge amounts of hops that never end. The aftertaste lingers in your mouth. But it's a good aftertaste. I wish they sold this in bottles and had it in NorCal. I'll be sorry when the Toronado runs out. Guess I'll head back there in a few days to get my fix.

Had Hop Juice again in October, but from the cask conditioned tap this time. It was still very good, but I guess the subtraction of most the carbonation and the warmth of the beer didn't do it for me as much as straight from the tap. The aftertaste stays with you forever also. Once again, not a bad thing. You can literally taste hop juice in your mouth 12 hours later. I'd always take the tap as my first choice.

GClarkage, Oct 04, 2004
4.93/5  rDev +30.1%

Sampled on tap at the Stuffed Sandwich in San Gabriel. Filled so full I had to take a giant gulp before carrying to my seat. In the glass this one is an orangish-gold with a minimal bubbly white head . The aroma is a straight up fresh hop assault. Just a tantalizingly wet & juicy hop explosion. Some overpowered, but present sweetness tries to express itself but is dominated by the massive floral hops. Flavor is absurd. Hoppy blend of pine, grapefruit, flowers & fresh-cut lemongrass. Subtle sweet malty backbone is subordinate in the flavor as it was in the nose, but it is there lurking under the surface. Moderately bitter and medium-bodied. Dry and resinous & finishes with a long-lasting fresh floral flavor, making it almost impossible not to have another. I would give a limb for a keg of this stuff.

garthwaite, Sep 24, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +16.9%

Draught @ O’Brien’s San Diego
The beer resides in the glass a golden amber color, the head big and white, the texture creamy with the lace a tight sheet upon the glass. “Whoa Nellie”, hops floral to the max, sweet and a treat for the old schnozzle, start is sweet and nicely malted with the top middling in it’s feel to the palate. Finish is delectable in it’s a acidity, the hops potent and pleasing to us hop heads, the aftertaste dry and long lasting, and a remarkable companion to O’Brien’s Garlic Fries, raw Garlic and ton’s of hops “Yummy”! Lol

Gusler, Aug 15, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

This was a very solid Double IPA. It poured a medium gold color with a small head concitering the fact that every inch of the glass was used for beer! The smell was super hoppy with plenty of piney dry hops in the nose. The taste was quite good too, good ammount of hop kick and a slight maltiness that kicked in mid-sip. But there was nothing really spectacular about this beer, it seemed like it just needed one more thing to make it great that I could not put my finger on. But as it is, it is a very tasty IPA that one should try if one gets the chance.

Dmann, Jul 28, 2004
Hop Juice Double IPA from Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co.