Black Spruce Double IPA - Kingdom Brewing

No picture uploaded.

pDev: n/a
Kingdom Brewing
Vermont, United States

American Double / Imperial IPA |  ABV ?

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: cleave6 on 10-15-2013)
2.25/5  rDev n/a

3.96/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Tasted on tap, and poured from a growler.

The Black Spruce "IPA" is something a little different from anything else I've ever had, or seen. Although I recently saw another beer incorporating spruce from another Vermont brewery, Rock Art, with their imperial pumpkin spruce.

The inspiration comes from old logging camp beer recipes that incorporated spruce tips, the new green growth on spruce trees, in place of traditional hopping.

Appearance: Opaque, extremely dark brown, with a moderate white head that lingers.

Smell: Pungent spruce scent, tangy and almost citrusy.

Taste: Tastes like it smells. Hits a lot of interesting notes for me. The malt takes a back seat, and the spruce really stands out. If you don't know what spruce tastes like, I would describe it as tart and almost bitter.

Mouthfeel: The flavor hits me mostly in the back corners of my mouth and tongue, although the body is somewhat thin for such a dark beer.

Overall: When I first tasted it, I needed to taste it again and again to understand it. Like I said earlier, I've never had anything quite like it. Since then, I've gone back to the brewery and filled 2 growlers with it. I love the spruce characteristics, and the taste keeps growing on me. It may be overwhelming for some, but for adventurous drinkers like myself, it is certainly worth a try.

P.S. Kingdom Brewing has confirmed a barrel-aged version of this beer will appear in late October 2013, aged in spiced rum barrels!

Black Spruce Double IPA from Kingdom Brewing
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.