680 IPA - Schubros Brewery

Beer added by: NorCalYeti on 03-01-2013

Ratings: 31 | Reviews: 4
Reviews by NorCalYeti:
3.62/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Beautiful mahogany color with a slightly off-white creamy head. Pours clear. Lots of lacing in the glass. The beer strikes me as a malty, bitter beer indicative of the style. Caramel and toffee flavors are present. Hints of citrus hops in the nose but generally overpowered by the maltiness of the beer. The finish is medium-long and mildly bitter. Medium weight on the palate with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Not my favorite style but I think a good attempt at the original.

This brewery popped up in my home town all of a sudden. I would be excited about it but they are clueless on what the craft beer market wants. Their 680 ipa tastes like crap. Too malty, no floral/citrus notes. Their brewing style would have been amazing if it were 1996. They need to step it up. Start realizing what the public wants. Do u see what's selling schubros??? Hoppy, floral , Dank and unique beers. Unless u change your ways , your investment is goin down the toilet . Do some research and then get back to us here in the Bay Area. If you need a consultant I'm your man. But you absolutely cannot open a brewery in San Ramon and not even claim one west coast ipa!! Let alone a double ipa!! Damn, I feel bad for your guys. Your goin in the wrong direction. Stop goin wrong... Go right. Good luck

2.83/5  rDev -10.2%

Comes out really, really foamy. I tipped the glass as much as I could and still got about half and inch of froth. I had to scoop it out with a spoon. The taste is rather bland for an IPA. Some hoppiness, but no distinct flavors. It's slightly carbonated, and mild in strength. It's a local favorite, but not sure if I'd have this one again.

I really love this beer, and I don't understand a few of the negative reviews of the 680 Mahogany IPA. Not every IPA needs to be an alcohol bomb hop-monster or an overly bitter ESB. It is EXACTLY as the bottle label describes... "Mildly bitter"and its unique floral-citrus finish someone complained about is actually very refreshing for an IPA, and one of the reasons my wife (normally only a lager/hefe drinker) likes it as well. If I want to go bolder, I simply go to their Branch Line double IPA. The 680 label even shows a "bitter-sweet" range and "light-full" range on the bottle along with icons for the best food pairings (pizza/curries/spicy foods/blue cheese/gingerbread). So...either the negative reviewers can't read, or they need to get over themselves. This is a GREAT red (ok mahogany) IPA!

680 IPA from Schubros Brewery