Patrick's Poison - Rivertowne Brewing

Patrick's PoisonPatrick's Poison

Rivertowne Brewing visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: InspectorBob on 04-05-2014)
Reviews by woodychandler:
4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

If a new CAN comes to Lancaster, PA, you CAN bet that The Friendly Greek is going to have it in their Mix 'n' Match cooler! I get so excited every time I walk in there that I have had to cut back for fear of passing out from the rush.

From the CAN: "This one was cooked up for the Irish in every one of us! Blessed with the perfect flavor combination of hops, this Irish Style red will put the Saint in your soul! Cheers to this high gravity offering and the good things that will come! Cheers and thanks, [undersigned] Andrew T. Maxwell Brew Master".

Something is fishy on the label! The fish, "poisson" in French, looks like he is in the "Breaking Bad" meth lab. Poison poisson, indeed!

The Crack! was directly followed by a banging on my front door, so I turned on the fume hood and proceeded with an inverted Glug. The pseudo-cascade was really happening when I happened to look out the back door and spot some clowns wearing D.E.A. jackets behind the fence. I gave the two fingers of dense, tawny head a chance to settle before running upstairs to a better vantage point and loading the AK-47 that I keep in a closet for just such occasions as these. The nose was like inhaling pine tar and it occurred to me that in listening in one one of my phonecons, they thought that I was referring to heroin, like black tar heroin, and not pine tar, as in the depths of a forest. I opened the window to try and point out their misCANception, but when the first shot whistled past my left ear, I had no choice but to get off a volley of my own. I took a moment to look down at the now-settled beer and it was a magnificent deep-copper (SRM = > 22, < 27) with button brightness, which was not helping matters, since I had shut off all the lights. Mouthfeel had an unexpected fullness, not quite up to creamy, but close. The hops were really prevalent on the tongue, quite minty with just an underpinning of caramel hops to offset them. I remember a brewer once telling me that the AmeriCAN Amber style was as dead as the yahoos now littering my lawn, but that was before the style got reinvented in this way. The finish was dry and breath-taking and I had to catch my breath as I hauled the bodies into the basement, where they are now stacked up like cordwood. We'll be loading up a U-Haul It van later tonight and duping them in the Susquehanna River under cover of darkness. Now, I've got to wash the blood off and remove the sticky lacing , both of which CAN be attributed to this beer.

woodychandler, Apr 29, 2014

pat_usher, Jul 08, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Yes, you guessed it. The previous reviewer, woodychandler, hooked me up with this beer. The greatest trader ever. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has an amberish color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of caramel malts. Taste is well balanced hops and malts, a touch of caramel, very easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer.

tone77, May 20, 2014

beoirific, Jul 27, 2014

JohnK17, Apr 29, 2014

Josh24, Apr 06, 2014

InspectorBob, Apr 05, 2014
3.76/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

My wife picked this beer up for us to try. From a can with an adhesive label, the beer pours a clear amber color with a frothy white head. The aroma is malty, boozy, and intense. A bit of fruit, some toffee and bread, and lots of alcohol notes. The taste is sturdy...this is certainly intended to be a strong ale. Warmth, sweetness, toasted notes. The finish has more malt than hop, although there is sufficient bitterness for balance. Full and flavorful.

Suds, Jul 26, 2014
3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Was happy to stumble upon this one.

Seems an unfiltered amber ale. Which comes across as somewhat clogged, almost. Kind of a muddled fruit thing going on. Malts seem more than mildly present. Maybe it's just not in its prime, but this seem like it could benefit from some filtering.

RblWthACoz, Aug 17, 2014