2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Maxwell's Scottish Ale - Rivertowne Brewing

Maxwell's Scottish AleMaxwell's Scottish Ale

good

Rivertowne Brewing visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Scottish Ale |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Mounty4Life on 02-16-2013)
View: Beers (10) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 21 | Reviews: 8 | Show All Ratings:
schoolboy

3.89/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This Scottish is far better than the other product I sampled from this brewery. It's quite good.

It pours dark and slightly opaque with a thin head. The aroma is a robust malty affair - very nice. The taste is a well balanced, easy drinking combination of malts that works quite well. It might be a bit tame for the style, but it is very pleasant, unlike some. The aftertaste likewise lingers a nice sweet, not too deep flavor.

I think this is a nice version of the style that is easy drinking. I probably will purchase it again especially since it is competitively priced.

03-14-2014 22:58:35 | More by schoolboy
Josh24

My favorite beer by far right now.

Dark color yet fairly light in abv and easy to drink all night.

Malty chocolate flavor and so smooth!

I have had this beer on tap and in a can and both are still my goto beer...

I enjoy all Rivertowne beers but this one takes the cake for me...give it a shot

01-05-2014 02:16:14 | More by Josh24
OWSLEY069

3.21/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep amber to brown-ish in color with a light tan head. In the aroma, faint and a small sweet caramel like malt. In the taste, sweet caramel malt, yet somewhat mellow. A small bite, but mainly smooth, with a medium bodied mouthfeel, and a dryer caramel like malt in the aftertaste. Not much in the nose, big maltiness, and a small stickiness all the way through.

07-10-2013 15:17:59 | More by OWSLEY069
woodychandler

3.69/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On my last trip to Da Burgh, I met up with a couple of my buddies at Rivertowne Pour House and the staff was kind enough to assemble a mixed case of four (4) six-packs of each of their six (6) CANned beers in support of The CANQuest (TM)! If that is not customer service, then I do not know what is!

From the CAN: "Scottish Ale"; The Malty/Hoppy Meter pegs this one at the bottom of the Malty end of the spectrum; "The Maxwells have made the art of brewing a family tradition for centuries. This Scot comes alive, as five different varieties of malt create a deep, surprisingly smooth finish. Intrigued? Go ahead and lift its kilt!"; "Cheers and thanks, [undersigned] Andrew T. [?] Maxwell Brew Master".

I think that I will pass on lifting kilts and go for the Crack, instead. I am getting better at opening these brimful CANs, but caveat emptor. Once again, an inverted Glug created a visible pseudo-cascading action against the background of a dark beer. I initially had two fingers of foamy, deep-tan head, but it began falling almost as soon as I had completed the pour. Color evidenced a ruby-red shade when held up to the light, along with NE-quality clarity. If you have not done so already, mark the weekend of 28 February 2015 on your calendar. I will be returning to Lincoln, NE to jointly celebrate my 50th birthday and her 21st with the lovely Val MidWest and all are welcome to join the party! Nose was, as expected, quite sweet in a maple syrup vein. There was a light smokiness to it, but it was definitely a malt bomb. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. In fact, it was kind of muted for the style, with a cracker-y kind of sweetness. Interesting. Finish was semi-sweet with the potential to be much sweeter. I wonder if this is what was intended or if I just got lucky. Me likee.

06-14-2013 23:25:58 | More by woodychandler
twiggamortis420

3.48/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can courtesy of tommyguz pours a beautifully clear garnet hue with a modest off-white head. Not much for retention and lace.

Nose smells pretty good - malty with notes of coconut husk, caramel, baking cocoa and nuts. I like it...probably would have guessed nut brown ale before scottish though.

Taste is more of the same..really nutty, hazelnuts to be precise. Caramely and maybe even a little bit of buttered popcorn. Its light and malty with just a hint of bitterness on the finish. Its an enjoyable brew...all 3 from Rivertowne I have had are - though they wont wow you with complexity. Mouthfeel is a bit watery, but not too bad. This would be a good candidate for tailgating.

05-31-2013 22:23:06 | More by twiggamortis420
tone77

3.41/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to the creator of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark bronze color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, slightly sweet. Taste is mild, malty, a touch sweet, a little light on flavor for the style. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

05-15-2013 01:10:23 | More by tone77
RblWthACoz

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%

This is a great Scottish ale. Real nice malty tones with a mature and woody sweet tone. The malts are very consistent. I like it. Extremely smooth feel. Very, very easy to drink. This is a good example of the style. I’d probably say that this is my favorite beer from this brewery.

03-20-2013 15:03:52 | More by RblWthACoz
Mounty4Life

4.14/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Stopped for pint at Inn in Verona. Poured into pint glass with fast disappearing act of the head. Very little lacing but has nice dark amber color. Smells of very nice malt mixture with a little roastyness. Almost reminds me of cinnamon toast. Tastes similar, nice roasty taste with a little spice but so smooth. Super smooth but a little watery for me. No carb, kind of flat which was only downfall. Overall really good Scottish ale that you can drink very easily like the Scots tend to down em'.

02-16-2013 04:27:20 | More by Mounty4Life