2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Haywards 5000 Super Premium Beer - Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd.

Haywards 5000 Super Premium BeerHaywards 5000 Super Premium Beer

poor

Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd. visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Suds on 11-30-2002)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 92 | Reviews: 57 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by JoLight:
JoLight

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +59.2%

Light golden in appearance, Haywards 5000 has stark-white, soapy head that dissipates down to a small ring/surface of foam that retains its own throughout.

Although its hop aroma presence reminds me of Saint Pauli Girl or Becks, the barley malt notes remind me of Coors N.A. You get a basic balance of lightly toasted, euro-like malt, and a noticeable hop presence, sort of floral and sweet I'd say.

The taste is much like the aroma: lightly toasted barley malt, a slight sweetness, and the small bite of hops and carbonation at the end. Although the aroma is slightly floral with the hops, there isn't much of that in the taste, although there is a slightness of a taste note I can't quite put my finger on. Not offensive at all, though. And I also detect no adjuncts in the taste or aroma whatsoever. This sort of reminds me of a euro pale lager, even though BeerAdvocate classifies it as a malt liquor.

P.S.
I detect no alcohol in the aroma or flavor, keeping the high(er) ABV in mind.

The finish is crisp, dry, and refreshing.

This is what a lager should smell and taste like. Buy it. You'll like it.

11-28-2011 03:42:54 | More by JoLight
Brenden

2.84/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This brew is a clear burnished gold color. A dense white head settles in at a full finger with good retention, settling to a foam after moderate time. The spotty lacing isn't impressive, but it's pretty good, and the strength of the head is more than expected.
The smell is sweet and grainy with a bit of a metallic note and lots of fruity esters. There's nothing unoffensive, really, though it's pretty generic.
The taste goes grainier with a bit of a weird, turpentine-like off flavor before floral hops come in. Fruity esters still come in, mostly up front but still lightly throughout. The finish is oddly sweet with a bit of flora and something like cake batter.
It's light-bodied, fairly crisp but a little too slick, and not just in the finish.

03-17-2014 14:28:52 | More by Brenden

11-10-2013 20:00:10 | More by sobbysoprano
pweis909

Wisconsin

1.75/5  rDev -35.7%

Never heard of it. I was in Boulder, land of craft beer, so when the waiter at the restaurant mentioned it, I thought, hmm... yet another local beer. Didn't register: Indian restaurant, import beer, crappy malt liquor.

Well it looked like a beer, right? This was awfully oxidized, leaving a sickly sweet aftertaste. It's only value was that it quenched a little bit of the power that came from the whole peppercorns and cardamom seeds I stumbled across as I ate the biryani. Avoid.

11-08-2013 12:13:39 | More by pweis909

Adamostella

05-06-2013 21:57:03 | More by Adamostella
rickyleepotts

3.33/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Sheryl said it best… "This looks boring." It does. It looks like any domestic I have ever had. I did have two cans of Coors Light yesterday, but I was playing golf. Yesterday was National Beer Day, or something like that. I got two badges on Untappd, so there must have been something going on.

Past hoppy beers, I am not sure what else comes from India. This is an Indian premium beer, but based on what I am smelling, as I pour, this is going to be pretty boring. Oh well, they can't all be good!

In the Glass: The beer pours like any domestic I have ever seen. Think Bud Light meets Coors Light meets Miller Lite. I wonder why they spell it like that… Anyway, the beer produced a thin white head, and there is no lace to speak of. I am sure, just based what I am seeing, this beer will be very drinkable and I am excited to chug it! If nothing else so we can move on to the next beer. Oh, it's cheap, too.

Nose: I could smell yeast as I was pouring it. It has a very obvious grain aroma to it. I get more of that when I smell the beer, and while I am not typically into this style, I have been on a Euro pale lager kick lately. I grabbed a few bombers of that style last week just to see what they all taste like. I spent too much time on the wrong side of the aisle at Total Wine & More.

Flavor: All things considered, this is not a terrible beer. It has a nice sweet flavor to start, and as the flavor explodes across the back of the tongue, you are hit with some severe carbonation. It does remind me of a Euro pale lager. I am curios why the style on this is "malt liquor", as that makes me think of hard lemonade, or something. Oh well, I am digging this flavor, and could see myself drinking a gallon of this on a hot summer day. I wish more golf courses carried a better selection. This IS better than a Coors Light.

Mouthfeel: There isn't much going on. It's thin and boring at first, and as you begin to swallow, a ton of bubbles rage on the back of your tongue. From there, the swallow is quick, boring, and leaves you wanting more. Beers like this are quite drinkable, and I can see them getting me into trouble! I wonder how readily available this is in India. I sure hope this isn't what people in India think of when thinking of craft beer.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste isn't bad. It has a nice subtle drying sweetness to it. Again, it reminds me of the Euro pale lager experience. (If you drink this, don't burp. You can thank me later!) I bet this beer would pair nicely with a hamburger or hot dog.

This beer IS boring, but the subtle sweetness keeps me drinking. I wouldn't order this again, but would like to see this on tap if and when we visit India. I also wonder where the 5000 comes from… maybe I will do a little digging. Cheers, people!

04-08-2013 21:53:17 | More by rickyleepotts
Haywards 5000 Super Premium Beer from Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd.