Haywards 5000 Super Premium Beer - Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd.

Haywards 5000 Super Premium BeerHaywards 5000 Super Premium Beer

poor

Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd. visit their website
India

American Malt Liquor |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Suds on 11-30-2002

4.32/5  rDev +68.1%

Light golden in appearance, Haywards 5000 has stark-white, soapy head that dissipates down to a small ring/surface of foam that retains its own throughout.

Although its hop aroma presence reminds me of Saint Pauli Girl or Becks, the barley malt notes remind me of Coors N.A. You get a basic balance of lightly toasted, euro-like malt, and a noticeable hop presence, sort of floral and sweet I'd say.

The taste is much like the aroma: lightly toasted barley malt, a slight sweetness, and the small bite of hops and carbonation at the end. Although the aroma is slightly floral with the hops, there isn't much of that in the taste, although there is a slightness of a taste note I can't quite put my finger on. Not offensive at all, though. And I also detect no adjuncts in the taste or aroma whatsoever. This sort of reminds me of a euro pale lager, even though BeerAdvocate classifies it as a malt liquor.

P.S.
I detect no alcohol in the aroma or flavor, keeping the high(er) ABV in mind.

The finish is crisp, dry, and refreshing.

This is what a lager should smell and taste like. Buy it. You'll like it. (1,112 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +37.7%

650ml bottle

A - 4.0 - Very nice head, tons of good carbonation, deep golden yellow, looks alive
S - 2.5 - Alcohol, malt, sweet, slightly pungent... not a good balance
T - 4.0 - Malty, almost stout like - very good
M - 4.0 - Thick and smooth
D - 3.5 - Overall one of my favorite Indian beers so far. The flavor profile on this is very interesting and different then most else on the market. (391 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +30.7%

Appearance: Pours golden with nice carbonation, a nice thick white head that laces well.

Smell: Not much smell, typical macro.

Taste: Strange, but not bad. Sweet but not too sweet. It's the malt liquor taste that I notice.

This is an average beer but different enough (barely) from most macros to try. It's a session beer and nobody is going to love it, but it's alright. I'ts the best malt liquor beer I've ever had. (421 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +30.4%

Pours with a two-finger head that leaves a ton of lace. Very pale yellow color. Light carbonation. Nose is hay like in a barn. Starts and finishes sweet. Light bodied. So far my best beer from India but this is only the fourth. The label has this "manufactured" by Skol Breweries. $1.95 for a 330ml bottle. (306 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +28%

Even with an aggressive pour, not much of a head, mainly comprised of larger, quick to pop bubbles, no foam, white in color, minimal lacing left behind. Raw grainy nose, like unshucked corn, metal, iron notes without mineral water foundation to fall back on, some fuller bread notes, sour grapefruit rind, has a saline quality as well, nothing about it that jumps out as fruit, overall the smells don't piss you off, it just smells like generic "beer." Medium-bodied, broad-shouldered carbonation which lasts easily through the finish. Pretzels, sourdough, rye, more cooked than raw, if indistinguishable as elements, certainly makes it evident that this is a straight down the middle of the plate lager beer. Sour mixed white citrus, more iron flecks, an uptick in apricot to peach fruit, pits and skins, maybe fig. Due to the carbonation doesn't lose weight/palate presence through the finish. Old coriander powder. Without faulting it, or its place of origin, too much it falls exactly into line with expectations. You're in a cheap Indian restaurant scarfing down some vindaloo chicken and nan and this is the beer you drink there. No mystery, no failure to meet a certain threshold of quality. Great, no, contextually viable, absolutely. (1,242 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +28%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Sheryl said it best… "This looks boring." It does. It looks like any domestic I have ever had. I did have two cans of Coors Light yesterday, but I was playing golf. Yesterday was National Beer Day, or something like that. I got two badges on Untappd, so there must have been something going on.

Past hoppy beers, I am not sure what else comes from India. This is an Indian premium beer, but based on what I am smelling, as I pour, this is going to be pretty boring. Oh well, they can't all be good!

In the Glass: The beer pours like any domestic I have ever seen. Think Bud Light meets Coors Light meets Miller Lite. I wonder why they spell it like that… Anyway, the beer produced a thin white head, and there is no lace to speak of. I am sure, just based what I am seeing, this beer will be very drinkable and I am excited to chug it! If nothing else so we can move on to the next beer. Oh, it's cheap, too.

Nose: I could smell yeast as I was pouring it. It has a very obvious grain aroma to it. I get more of that when I smell the beer, and while I am not typically into this style, I have been on a Euro pale lager kick lately. I grabbed a few bombers of that style last week just to see what they all taste like. I spent too much time on the wrong side of the aisle at Total Wine & More.

Flavor: All things considered, this is not a terrible beer. It has a nice sweet flavor to start, and as the flavor explodes across the back of the tongue, you are hit with some severe carbonation. It does remind me of a Euro pale lager. I am curios why the style on this is "malt liquor", as that makes me think of hard lemonade, or something. Oh well, I am digging this flavor, and could see myself drinking a gallon of this on a hot summer day. I wish more golf courses carried a better selection. This IS better than a Coors Light.

Mouthfeel: There isn't much going on. It's thin and boring at first, and as you begin to swallow, a ton of bubbles rage on the back of your tongue. From there, the swallow is quick, boring, and leaves you wanting more. Beers like this are quite drinkable, and I can see them getting me into trouble! I wonder how readily available this is in India. I sure hope this isn't what people in India think of when thinking of craft beer.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste isn't bad. It has a nice subtle drying sweetness to it. Again, it reminds me of the Euro pale lager experience. (If you drink this, don't burp. You can thank me later!) I bet this beer would pair nicely with a hamburger or hot dog.

This beer IS boring, but the subtle sweetness keeps me drinking. I wouldn't order this again, but would like to see this on tap if and when we visit India. I also wonder where the 5000 comes from… maybe I will do a little digging. Cheers, people! (2,782 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +22.6%

A- Pours a clear golden with a thin white foamy head. A bit of wispy lacing.
S- Husky grain. A bit metallic.
T- Starts with a metallic twang. Becomes a bit grainy. Finishes with a strange medicinal flavor.
M- Dry, slightly thin, but not bad.
D- Not a terrible beer. Hides the alcohol well. The metallic flavor really goofed this one up. (336 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +22.6%

Poured a golden yellow with a finger of head that left good blotchy lacing on the glass. The grains and sweet malt dominate the aroma that also had slight wheat and spice notes; pretty simple nose. The taste is pretty much the same as the nose with the grains and malts playing the main role which also had caramel and slight ctiric accent. the brew was medium body with a good amount of carbonation that had a slight sweet and malty finish. Overall its an average lager that goes great paired with shrimp tandoori which also drank very well and was really refreshing. (568 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +22.2%

Bottle says best before 11/2003, drinking this 5 minutes into 2/2004, oh well...

Hazy gold in colour, smallish white head. Aroma is cross between neat alcohol, sherry, and white spirit - not necessarily unpleasant but somewhat unexpected and voracious on the finer elements of the nose. Actually, I think this is the best element of this beer.

Malt and hops are there in the taste, as is a slightly cloying sweetness and a grainy texture. Not unpleasant, but a bit harsh - though I have had a lot worse. Not much aftertaste, just a grainy feel.

Ok, maybe one of the better brews from India - but not great. (615 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +20.6%

The Indian preference for "super strong" beers is often a menace. Somehow the kick is considered more important than the taste. The well-known beer "Knock-Out" spells it out quite clearly. Haywards 5000 would most likely taste better with less alcohol. Still, it's a kind of Indian equivalent to Eurolager- perhaps Hindulager?, and it's definately functional. It smells sweet and the hal finger of foam disappears quickly. The taste is malty/bready with a distinct alcohol breath lingering in the mouth. I often wonder over Indian beer names. Haywards is obviously meant to give the beer a heritage feel. The number 5000 may just be a high number indiacting the potency of the brew (He-man 9000 is another example? (714 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +17.9%

Served in bottle at India House. Appearance is gold and clear with minimal head. Smell feature sweet malts, dry bread, mild corn, and other grainy qualities. Taste matches nose with sweetness up front, dry grains and light hop bitterness come though as well. Pretty decent flavors for a malt liquor. Mouthfeel is moderate with fizzy carbonation. Overall, nothing offensive here (which I fully expect with the style), so in that realm, this is pretty good. Otherwise, pretty standard lager. (489 characters)

3.02/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearance is a cloudy straw golden color with a quickly dissapating head. Smell is lightly sweet that has a malty graininess to it . Taste has a malty/adjunct light sweetness leaving a bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light having good body with crisp carbonation. Actually not bad for a fairly high alc. adjunct beer which is fine until it gets to the bitter end. (364 characters)

Purchased at Grapes and Hops in Fayetteville NC. about 6 months ago. Didn't know it was a Malt Liquor till I I got back home. It is what it is - not that bad...not that great either. Poured into a pint glass as a pale yellow color. Medium size white head that fades fast. minimal lacing.

Smell is sweet and malty...a little skunk as well

Taste is a malty beer somewhat overly sweet. Don't detect the 7%. It went down fairly well with some Cajun shrimp/peppers and okra.

Mouthfeel is about average for this type of beer. No nasty aftertaste. Basically a standard malt liquor. Mild flavor and a bit too sweet.

Works as a lawnmower beer or with spicy food. Not that bad. (671 characters)

Appearance: Pours a very light yellow with no head or lacing.

Smell: Grainy and grassy.

Taste: Kind of bland but not unpleasant. No detectable hops.

Mouthfeel: goes down easy no complaints.

Overall: reminds me of a regular BMC product and this beer hides the alcohol well. (276 characters)

2.99/5  rDev +16.3%

This is the first beer that I've had from India, and I didn't really know what to expect. To be honest, its origin is the only reason that I bought the beer. All in all, it's average, and in no ways extraordinary. Decent hop bitterness
It has a negligable head, and a pale, golden color. It's not particularly carbonated, and has a sweet, alcolol smell. The taste is initially malty, and well balanced with a bitter hop finish. Soft, pleasant mouthfeel...at times grainy. Very slight warming, but the alcohol here…could be dangerous. (535 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured out of the bottle with a big head, with extra large bubbles. The head dissipated into nothing with no lace.

The aroma was nothing to be desired. In short, it smelled like beer. The hops were noted, but no malt or esters were detected.

Again, the taste was average. There is a big taste of hops and peppery-like notes.

The drinkability was nothing special. Overall, most folks would rather drink a beer that's aromatic and full bodied. Same with the mouthfeel, nothing special. (486 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +15.6%

The color is as one would expect, grainy yellow. Nearly no head. No lace.

This has what I refer to as a refrigerator aroma. It's not stale per se, but it doesn't give any of the smells one would expect.

The flavor is a marked improvement. I can even detect a mild hop bite. Light grain. The body is decent with a slightly elevated carbonation level. For the style, I'd say this is better than the typical suspects, but it is still suspect itself. (448 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +13.6%

This pale gold lager is crystal clear , which in my experience does not bode well as it gives the beer a manufactured rather than brewed quality. This beer frothed up a decent head , but really is very plain and unremarkable.
It is all derinkable and enjoyable but thats about it.
It is the sort of beer to have over a business discussion on a warm afternoon. (359 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +12.8%

I tried this beer last night at an Indian restaurant Oak Brook, IL - poured from a 22oz brown bottle into a tall pilsner flute glass.

A= This lager poured a very slightly hazed yellow color with a 1/2" loose white head. The head took longer to drop than I expected and eventually settled to a thin ring. Very little head retention and no lacing to speak of.

S= Sweet maltiness in the nose with a very slight bit of sulfur.

T= Flavor started off on the sweet side, but with only a light malt flavor. Slight corn notes throughout. Hops were pretty much a non-factor in the flavor. Finish was drier than the start, but still fairly sweet.

MF= Light to medium bodied with a crisp feel and spritzy carbonation.

D= This was an ok macro style lager that paired well with spicy Indian food. If I was having this by itself I would have struggled to finish it. Actually, by the time I was done eating I still had about 5 ounces in my glass and I found myself not too interested in finishing it. (989 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a 650mL bottle.

Appearance - Pale yellow with a finger of head that fades quickly to only a little bit of foam around the top. High carbonation from the amount of bubbles that continue consistently throughout.

Aroma - Malty with a little note of yeast and some grain, maybe rice? Little to no hop profile on the nose.

Taste - Stronger rice flavors on the tongue definitely, it reminds me very much of a low grade sake that may be served at a restaurant. Only with a few others flavors such as the remaining grains used in production. Same with the aroma, no hop notes to speak of.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and easy going, but in the same sense it’s probably because there simply is not much there.

Overall - A simple, basic beer. I wasn’t expecting much other than Baird I often don’t hold out much hope for Asian beers. Would I buy a bottle? Maybe not, I got this from a rep as a sample. I can see it being a good move from the BCM market. But other than that, meh. (983 characters)

2.89/5  rDev +12.5%

Pour is pretty good. Clear and pale yellow, with a rocky foam. Looks like a kristal weizen!

...Too bad it doesn't smell like one. It smells metallic. And rather beer-like. Not much else.

Does it taste like a kristal weizen? No. It tastes metallic too, with a very slick mouthfeel. Pretty unoffensive, but then again, its also really bland. (341 characters)

2.86/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This brew is a clear burnished gold color. A dense white head settles in at a full finger with good retention, settling to a foam after moderate time. The spotty lacing isn't impressive, but it's pretty good, and the strength of the head is more than expected.
The smell is sweet and grainy with a bit of a metallic note and lots of fruity esters. There's nothing unoffensive, really, though it's pretty generic.
The taste goes grainier with a bit of a weird, turpentine-like off flavor before floral hops come in. Fruity esters still come in, mostly up front but still lightly throughout. The finish is oddly sweet with a bit of flora and something like cake batter.
It's light-bodied, fairly crisp but a little too slick, and not just in the finish. (751 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +10.9%

Picked up an Indian beer to go with my meal. Served in a pint glass. Looks like a macro lager, clear and golden. The thin white head disappeared quickly.

Aroma is mild, sweet and malty. Flavor is crisp, clean and mildly malty. Nothing special, but not really bad either. Mouthfeel and carbonation are both light. Easy to drink with spicy food. (344 characters)

2.84/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a clear, pale yellow color. 5/4 inch head of a white color. Good retention and decent lacing. Smells of adjunct, pale malt, and yeast. Fits the style of an American Adjunct Lager. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of adjunct (metallic), yeast, pale malt, and slight hops. Overall, a not so great beer, but to be expected. (366 characters)

2.78/5  rDev +8.2%

Haywards 5000 is, I think, my first foray into reviewing an Indian beer, and you'll forgive me if I am apprehensive when I read on the label that the Alcohol By Volume is described as "Alc. strength not exceeding 8% v/v", they can't even tell us what the ABV is? WTF!? This aside I am looking forward to seeing what India has to offer as a beer brewing country.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Presents with a hazy pale gold body and a light dusting of white for a head.

S: It certainly has a different aroma; a boozy/grain quality with raw sugar and a big hit of rum. No doubt this will be a saccharine drenched Lager. Hops are likely there but not evident in the aroma, this is malt liquor after all.

T: Well it has an odd flavour, a bit of a Lager/rum mix to it. Evident are the grains of which there are several - the label lists barley, rice and maize. Aside from that there are notes of the aforementioned rum, raw sugar, sour apple and a touch of bread yeast.

M: Mid to heavy bodied with a light carbonation.

D: I'm half and half on this one, which would be an apt way to describe this brew "half and half" due to that ever-present rum flavour (must be the "Ethyl alcohol" from the list of ingredients). It's not bad but it's also not great, it's a bit too weird to be great, and there is a foreboding sense that because it is an Indian product it may be both: Injurious to my health [Indian film pun there] and produced in the cheapest/least caring way possible, both of which deter me. If you are looking for a brew in a similar vein try Birra Peroni Gran Riserva which is a Doppio Malto or "double malt" beer.

Food match: What does one eat with Lager-rum? I haven't the foggiest. What I imagine would go well is Jamaican cuisine as that is the only thing rum related that comes to mind; Black beans, shredded beef, jerk chicken, rice and plantain or Stamp and Go with callaloo fritters. (1,920 characters)

Haywards 5000 Super Premium Beer from Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd.