Haywards 5000 Super Premium Beer - Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd.

Haywards 5000 Super Premium BeerHaywards 5000 Super Premium Beer

Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd. visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Suds on 11-30-2002

2.56/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and moderate amounts of medium golden yellow highlights. The beer has a three finger tall dense foamy white head that reduces to a few patches of medium thick film surrounded by a very thin film covering the remainder of the surface of the beer and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of corn adjuncts over the top of sweet malts. That is followed by a light aroma of grassy hops and a moderate to strong aroma of fusel alcohol.

T: Upfront there is a moderate to strong flavor of sweet corn adjuncts and some light to moderate sweet malts. That is followed by a very light flavor of grassy hops and something perfumy & metallic. Finally there is a moderate to strong flavor of fusel alcohol which lingers through the finish.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly slick with a hint of alcohol warming in the finish.

O: Reminds me of drinking this on my visits to Bangalore where it seemed to taste much better, though that could be because of how hot it was... Here in America, it is pretty tough even when having it with Indian food. Definitely not the smoothest drinking malt liquor.

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Served at an Indian restaurant from 22-ounce bomber into a copper Cup. Light brownish color hard to tell in the cup. Small amount of head quickly fades leaving a small cap and some clingy lace. Nose is extremely sweet. Grassy and malt liquor smell. Taste is similar. Very sweet best served cold. Mouth is thin with not much viscosity. Definitely better with food than solo. Overall not bad but neither is it very good.

2.47/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I bought a bottle of this to go with the food at an Indian themed dinner at my neighborhood's swim & tennis club. It went OK with the food, but a lighter lager might have been better. The Haywards tasted like malt liquor but lighter on the palate. I kind of appreciated the lightness but the taste wasn't great as I wasn't quite expected malt liquor flavor.

2.5/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

22oz (650ml) bottle served in a large mug. MFG date is 23/02/15. Batch number is 311-8P. Traveled here from India in a friend's suitcase. Still not deeply familiar with the malt liquor category.

Pours clear golden with lots of carbonation and a moderately sized but sickly looking head. Smell is pretty skunky, but with some nice grass notes. Strong lager funk and yeast.

Taste is (please note, I am mentally preparing myself for godawful sweetness based on my last Indian malt liquor experience)...godawful sweet.Honey and corn syrup. Strong skunky aftertaste. Grassiness is detectable, but insufficient.

Mouthfeel is not too bad. A little thick and sticky. Overall, it's not good. I won't finish it. I may have a few more sips before throwing in the towel.

2.64/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

My bottle of Hayward's 5000 was overly sweet with hints honey and bananas leading the way and lingering. The head was small and white with a foamy appearance and the body was clear and gold. It felt syrupy with a small amount of soft carbonation.

2.55/5  rDev -3.4%

Haywards 5000 Premium

Look 4/10
Smell 12/20
Taste 23/40
Feel 7/10
Drinkability 15/20

Overall 61/100

I really can't think of much great to say about this beer, I try not to dwell on the negative, however... This really is kind of a sorry beer. It's just so watery and bitter, almost as if they didn't even try.... It's just about a drain pour. Avoid at all costs if your a fan of true premium beer~

2.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Haywards 5000 is, I think, my first foray into reviewing an Indian beer, and you'll forgive me if I am apprehensive when I read on the label that the Alcohol By Volume is described as "Alc. strength not exceeding 8% v/v", they can't even tell us what the ABV is? WTF!? This aside I am looking forward to seeing what India has to offer as a beer brewing country.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Presents with a hazy pale gold body and a light dusting of white for a head.

S: It certainly has a different aroma; a boozy/grain quality with raw sugar and a big hit of rum. No doubt this will be a saccharine drenched Lager. Hops are likely there but not evident in the aroma, this is malt liquor after all.

T: Well it has an odd flavour, a bit of a Lager/rum mix to it. Evident are the grains of which there are several - the label lists barley, rice and maize. Aside from that there are notes of the aforementioned rum, raw sugar, sour apple and a touch of bread yeast.

M: Mid to heavy bodied with a light carbonation.

D: I'm half and half on this one, which would be an apt way to describe this brew "half and half" due to that ever-present rum flavour (must be the "Ethyl alcohol" from the list of ingredients). It's not bad but it's also not great, it's a bit too weird to be great, and there is a foreboding sense that because it is an Indian product it may be both: Injurious to my health [Indian film pun there] and produced in the cheapest/least caring way possible, both of which deter me. If you are looking for a brew in a similar vein try Birra Peroni Gran Riserva which is a Doppio Malto or "double malt" beer.

Food match: What does one eat with Lager-rum? I haven't the foggiest. What I imagine would go well is Jamaican cuisine as that is the only thing rum related that comes to mind; Black beans, shredded beef, jerk chicken, rice and plantain or Stamp and Go with callaloo fritters.

2.86/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This brew is a clear burnished gold color. A dense white head settles in at a full finger with good retention, settling to a foam after moderate time. The spotty lacing isn't impressive, but it's pretty good, and the strength of the head is more than expected.
The smell is sweet and grainy with a bit of a metallic note and lots of fruity esters. There's nothing unoffensive, really, though it's pretty generic.
The taste goes grainier with a bit of a weird, turpentine-like off flavor before floral hops come in. Fruity esters still come in, mostly up front but still lightly throughout. The finish is oddly sweet with a bit of flora and something like cake batter.
It's light-bodied, fairly crisp but a little too slick, and not just in the finish.

1.77/5  rDev -33%

Never heard of it. I was in Boulder, land of craft beer, so when the waiter at the restaurant mentioned it, I thought, hmm... yet another local beer. Didn't register: Indian restaurant, import beer, crappy malt liquor.

Well it looked like a beer, right? This was awfully oxidized, leaving a sickly sweet aftertaste. It's only value was that it quenched a little bit of the power that came from the whole peppercorns and cardamom seeds I stumbled across as I ate the biryani. Avoid.

3.29/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Sheryl said it best… "This looks boring." It does. It looks like any domestic I have ever had. I did have two cans of Coors Light yesterday, but I was playing golf. Yesterday was National Beer Day, or something like that. I got two badges on Untappd, so there must have been something going on.

Past hoppy beers, I am not sure what else comes from India. This is an Indian premium beer, but based on what I am smelling, as I pour, this is going to be pretty boring. Oh well, they can't all be good!

In the Glass: The beer pours like any domestic I have ever seen. Think Bud Light meets Coors Light meets Miller Lite. I wonder why they spell it like that… Anyway, the beer produced a thin white head, and there is no lace to speak of. I am sure, just based what I am seeing, this beer will be very drinkable and I am excited to chug it! If nothing else so we can move on to the next beer. Oh, it's cheap, too.

Nose: I could smell yeast as I was pouring it. It has a very obvious grain aroma to it. I get more of that when I smell the beer, and while I am not typically into this style, I have been on a Euro pale lager kick lately. I grabbed a few bombers of that style last week just to see what they all taste like. I spent too much time on the wrong side of the aisle at Total Wine & More.

Flavor: All things considered, this is not a terrible beer. It has a nice sweet flavor to start, and as the flavor explodes across the back of the tongue, you are hit with some severe carbonation. It does remind me of a Euro pale lager. I am curios why the style on this is "malt liquor", as that makes me think of hard lemonade, or something. Oh well, I am digging this flavor, and could see myself drinking a gallon of this on a hot summer day. I wish more golf courses carried a better selection. This IS better than a Coors Light.

Mouthfeel: There isn't much going on. It's thin and boring at first, and as you begin to swallow, a ton of bubbles rage on the back of your tongue. From there, the swallow is quick, boring, and leaves you wanting more. Beers like this are quite drinkable, and I can see them getting me into trouble! I wonder how readily available this is in India. I sure hope this isn't what people in India think of when thinking of craft beer.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste isn't bad. It has a nice subtle drying sweetness to it. Again, it reminds me of the Euro pale lager experience. (If you drink this, don't burp. You can thank me later!) I bet this beer would pair nicely with a hamburger or hot dog.

This beer IS boring, but the subtle sweetness keeps me drinking. I wouldn't order this again, but would like to see this on tap if and when we visit India. I also wonder where the 5000 comes from… maybe I will do a little digging. Cheers, people!

2.49/5  rDev -5.7%

22 oz bottle, no date.

super clear pale straw color. soapy bone-white head. smells of pale malt, grain, cracked corn, mild and clean. to style. taste is actually okay when cold. clean, but lingering off-putting after taste. but as it warm, it takes a turn to pretty bad. thin body and fizzy carbonation. appropriate.

bought this just to see what this beer was all about with the goofy name. weird that this Indian beer is basically and American Malt Liquor.

2.63/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Aroma is crisp, malty and a little fruity - typical, but at least OK. Pours a clear, rather wan yellow - not too good, but at least the white head is thick and somewhat persistent. Flavor is - not outstanding, but for a pale lager, a snip or two above average. Malty and fruity, satisfying. Texture has OK body and OK fizz. Overall, fair to middlin’. If not great, at least potable. Good for a party, or with a meal.

1.85/5  rDev -29.9%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Startin' the day off right with an Indian malt likkah. 'Cause why the fuck not!? This stuff pours a clear pale straw topped by a finger-and-a-half of white foam that dissipates rather quickly. The nose comprises bushels of corn atop a small pile of wheat and grass. It's not bad, but certainly nothing I can call "good". The taste is of perfume-y rubber (walk down the tire aisle some day...), diseased corn, and lead. Wow, I did not expect such a foul taste, especially given my sick predilection toward most malts. Damn, this is some intensely godawful shit right here. It physically hurts during and well after the stuff rampages across my tongue. Damn. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly oily feel. Overall, this has got to be one of the worst beers I've had in a long time. I don't think I can properly put into words just how this makes my tastebuds want to flee the country for fear that their families' lives are at risk. Ouch! (I took another drink for some masochistic reason...)

3.36/5  rDev +27.3%

Appearance: Pours golden with nice carbonation, a nice thick white head that laces well.

Smell: Not much smell, typical macro.

Taste: Strange, but not bad. Sweet but not too sweet. It's the malt liquor taste that I notice.

This is an average beer but different enough (barely) from most macros to try. It's a session beer and nobody is going to love it, but it's alright. I'ts the best malt liquor beer I've ever had.

2.97/5  rDev +12.5%

The color is as one would expect, grainy yellow. Nearly no head. No lace.

This has what I refer to as a refrigerator aroma. It's not stale per se, but it doesn't give any of the smells one would expect.

The flavor is a marked improvement. I can even detect a mild hop bite. Light grain. The body is decent with a slightly elevated carbonation level. For the style, I'd say this is better than the typical suspects, but it is still suspect itself.

2.32/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of grains, corn. Taste is not very good, something metallic and medicinal is present, a bit of malt and grain. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a subpar beer, most American made malt liquors are better.

3.03/5  rDev +14.8%

Served in bottle at India House. Appearance is gold and clear with minimal head. Smell feature sweet malts, dry bread, mild corn, and other grainy qualities. Taste matches nose with sweetness up front, dry grains and light hop bitterness come though as well. Pretty decent flavors for a malt liquor. Mouthfeel is moderate with fizzy carbonation. Overall, nothing offensive here (which I fully expect with the style), so in that realm, this is pretty good. Otherwise, pretty standard lager.

2.23/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a brilliant golden color with a solid one inch ivory head that fades quickly into a layer of foam.

Aroma is dominated by corn and grain, slightly sweet and alcoholic, with perhaps a touch of herbal hop and diacetyl.

Flavor reveals more diacetyl, buttery, cloyingly sweet, with heavy grain and slightly bitter hop, ending fairly alcoholic and peppery. The malt backbone is fairly nutty, and a metallic note surfaces as it warms.

Body is on the heavy side, with moderate carbonation. There's an unpleasant slickness present. Some astringency lingers in the finish.

Overall, it's the typical profile for a malt liquor, but a bit fleeting in the malt department. One is more than enough...way to sweet.

1.18/5  rDev -55.3%

I found this beer to be very very strong. Of course, it is 5000 and the stronger version but it was very bitter. The aftertaste is strong. The colour is like any lager, but a little darker yellow compared to other Indian beers. Very strong and can get you very very drunk. Have only one and share with friends. You won't know what hit you!

Purchased at Grapes and Hops in Fayetteville NC. about 6 months ago. Didn't know it was a Malt Liquor till I I got back home. It is what it is - not that bad...not that great either. Poured into a pint glass as a pale yellow color. Medium size white head that fades fast. minimal lacing.

Smell is sweet and malty...a little skunk as well

Taste is a malty beer somewhat overly sweet. Don't detect the 7%. It went down fairly well with some Cajun shrimp/peppers and okra.

Mouthfeel is about average for this type of beer. No nasty aftertaste. Basically a standard malt liquor. Mild flavor and a bit too sweet.

Works as a lawnmower beer or with spicy food. Not that bad.

1.4/5  rDev -47%

Oh dear, I'm in a fix; only one more chilled beer and there's this: Poured cold from the fridge with a small to medium foamy, frothy, off-white head, that quickly settled to an island and ring, with no lace. Color is a clear, pale yellow with lots of large and small bubble trails. Aroma is the best thing about this beer - sweet with a little beery, malt, hop. Flavor isn't so good; mainly neutral sweet, carbonic tang, hint of bitter. Body is there, but not pleasant and carbonation is too strong and clashes- heck, everything clashes in this brew. Finish is like flavor and of medium length, which is way too long. Bleh.

4.32/5  rDev +63.6%

Light golden in appearance, Haywards 5000 has stark-white, soapy head that dissipates down to a small ring/surface of foam that retains its own throughout.

Although its hop aroma presence reminds me of Saint Pauli Girl or Becks, the barley malt notes remind me of Coors N.A. You get a basic balance of lightly toasted, euro-like malt, and a noticeable hop presence, sort of floral and sweet I'd say.

The taste is much like the aroma: lightly toasted barley malt, a slight sweetness, and the small bite of hops and carbonation at the end. Although the aroma is slightly floral with the hops, there isn't much of that in the taste, although there is a slightness of a taste note I can't quite put my finger on. Not offensive at all, though. And I also detect no adjuncts in the taste or aroma whatsoever. This sort of reminds me of a euro pale lager, even though BeerAdvocate classifies it as a malt liquor.

I detect no alcohol in the aroma or flavor, keeping the high(er) ABV in mind.

The finish is crisp, dry, and refreshing.

This is what a lager should smell and taste like. Buy it. You'll like it.

1.89/5  rDev -28.4%

OK wow, it is an american malt liquor brewed in India under SABMiller. Descent pale gold with a pillowy white head that fades fast leaving good lace.

Malty, maybe. Corn is for sure in play here.Weak aromas at best. Corny , for sure. Minamal hop presence,but there.

Don't say beer....So this is what the most populous country drinks to get a load on.

Well, this drinks thin and delivers thinner.

Shipped all this way and $3 a bomber, there is your answer. It does the job if you can stomach over a year old malt liquor from far away.

2.31/5  rDev -12.5%

Was looking forward to this after going through a few more Indian beers from the store; my friendly neighborhood liquor man said he preferred this to the domestic Kingfisher and the Indian-made Taj Mahal.

Usually the words "650 ml", "7 % ABV" and "$3.09" make me a happy boy, but this one is pretty disappointing.

Big, undated bottle, ice cold and poured into a fluted pils glass. Loads of carbonation with a white foamy head that stuck around for a few moments and then evaporated. Strong gold color.

Aroma is where things start going south; sickly grass and a sweetness that wouldn't be out of place with some lower-market AALs.

The taste gets a little better, but not by much. Strong alcohol taste that suggests more than 7%. Some malt, but the adjunct-y taste is just too overwhelming.

Mouthfeel isn't terrible. It isn't great either.

All in all, I'd actually go for Budweiser before this unless I was enjoying a curry. For that matter I'd opt for a Molson's XXX if I wanted something strong with lots of body but not overwhelming in alcohol.

2.71/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

From 650 ml undated bottle.

Pours a golden yellow; ample carbonation; short-lived off-white head leaves a lasting ring.

Aroma is not bad but can be described as a slightly skunky lager.

T – starts sweets and finishes mildly bitter. A hoppy lager in which the higher ABV is too apparent in the flavor. Has a pretty good finish.

M – Higher carbonation; too much tingle as a result of higher ABV plus carbonation level. Medium body. ABV also makes this slightly harsh.

O – Average quality, more or less, in a high ABV macro-lager.

Haywards 5000 Super Premium Beer from Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd.