Haywards 5000 Super Premium Beer - Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd.

Haywards 5000 Super Premium BeerHaywards 5000 Super Premium Beer

poor

Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd. visit their website
India

American Malt Liquor |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Suds on 11-30-2002)
adityashekhar

Washington

05-06-2013 21:57:03 | More by Adamostella
rickyleepotts

3.33/5  rDev +22%

Sheryl said it best… "This looks boring." It does. It looks like any domestic I have ever had. I did have two cans of Coors Light yesterday, but I was playing golf. Yesterday was National Beer Day, or something like that. I got two badges on Untappd, so there must have been something going on.

Past hoppy beers, I am not sure what else comes from India. This is an Indian premium beer, but based on what I am smelling, as I pour, this is going to be pretty boring. Oh well, they can't all be good!

In the Glass: The beer pours like any domestic I have ever seen. Think Bud Light meets Coors Light meets Miller Lite. I wonder why they spell it like that… Anyway, the beer produced a thin white head, and there is no lace to speak of. I am sure, just based what I am seeing, this beer will be very drinkable and I am excited to chug it! If nothing else so we can move on to the next beer. Oh, it's cheap, too.

Nose: I could smell yeast as I was pouring it. It has a very obvious grain aroma to it. I get more of that when I smell the beer, and while I am not typically into this style, I have been on a Euro pale lager kick lately. I grabbed a few bombers of that style last week just to see what they all taste like. I spent too much time on the wrong side of the aisle at Total Wine & More.

Flavor: All things considered, this is not a terrible beer. It has a nice sweet flavor to start, and as the flavor explodes across the back of the tongue, you are hit with some severe carbonation. It does remind me of a Euro pale lager. I am curios why the style on this is "malt liquor", as that makes me think of hard lemonade, or something. Oh well, I am digging this flavor, and could see myself drinking a gallon of this on a hot summer day. I wish more golf courses carried a better selection. This IS better than a Coors Light.

Mouthfeel: There isn't much going on. It's thin and boring at first, and as you begin to swallow, a ton of bubbles rage on the back of your tongue. From there, the swallow is quick, boring, and leaves you wanting more. Beers like this are quite drinkable, and I can see them getting me into trouble! I wonder how readily available this is in India. I sure hope this isn't what people in India think of when thinking of craft beer.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste isn't bad. It has a nice subtle drying sweetness to it. Again, it reminds me of the Euro pale lager experience. (If you drink this, don't burp. You can thank me later!) I bet this beer would pair nicely with a hamburger or hot dog.

This beer IS boring, but the subtle sweetness keeps me drinking. I wouldn't order this again, but would like to see this on tap if and when we visit India. I also wonder where the 5000 comes from… maybe I will do a little digging. Cheers, people!

04-08-2013 21:53:17 | More by rickyleepotts
jmdrpi

2.45/5  rDev -10.3%

22 oz bottle, no date.

super clear pale straw color. soapy bone-white head. smells of pale malt, grain, cracked corn, mild and clean. to style. taste is actually okay when cold. clean, but lingering off-putting after taste. but as it warm, it takes a turn to pretty bad. thin body and fizzy carbonation. appropriate.

bought this just to see what this beer was all about with the goofy name. weird that this Indian beer is basically and American Malt Liquor.

03-22-2013 03:28:01 | More by jmdrpi
spycow

03-11-2013 07:01:10 | More by spycow
Cyberkedi

Georgia

2.64/5  rDev -3.3%

Aroma is crisp, malty and a little fruity - typical, but at least OK. Pours a clear, rather wan yellow - not too good, but at least the white head is thick and somewhat persistent. Flavor is - not outstanding, but for a pale lager, a snip or two above average. Malty and fruity, satisfying. Texture has OK body and OK fizz. Overall, fair to middlin’. If not great, at least potable. Good for a party, or with a meal.

02-17-2013 01:22:40 | More by Cyberkedi

2.5/5  rDev -8.4%

12-09-2012 18:43:42 | More by cliff1066
TMoney2591

1.75/5  rDev -35.9%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Startin' the day off right with an Indian malt likkah. 'Cause why the fuck not!? This stuff pours a clear pale straw topped by a finger-and-a-half of white foam that dissipates rather quickly. The nose comprises bushels of corn atop a small pile of wheat and grass. It's not bad, but certainly nothing I can call "good". The taste is of perfume-y rubber (walk down the tire aisle some day...), diseased corn, and lead. Wow, I did not expect such a foul taste, especially given my sick predilection toward most malts. Damn, this is some intensely godawful shit right here. It physically hurts during and well after the stuff rampages across my tongue. Damn. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly oily feel. Overall, this has got to be one of the worst beers I've had in a long time. I don't think I can properly put into words just how this makes my tastebuds want to flee the country for fear that their families' lives are at risk. Ouch! (I took another drink for some masochistic reason...)

10-11-2012 12:49:14 | More by TMoney2591
donmonkey1

Tennessee

3.38/5  rDev +23.8%

Appearance: Pours golden with nice carbonation, a nice thick white head that laces well.

Smell: Not much smell, typical macro.

Taste: Strange, but not bad. Sweet but not too sweet. It's the malt liquor taste that I notice.

This is an average beer but different enough (barely) from most macros to try. It's a session beer and nobody is going to love it, but it's alright. I'ts the best malt liquor beer I've ever had.

10-03-2012 21:17:47 | More by donmonkey1
Unchi

2.5/5  rDev -8.4%

09-19-2012 23:51:27 | More by Unchi
NickyG213

08-31-2012 22:19:45 | More by NickyG213
smcolw

The color is as one would expect, grainy yellow. Nearly no head. No lace.

This has what I refer to as a refrigerator aroma. It's not stale per se, but it doesn't give any of the smells one would expect.

The flavor is a marked improvement. I can even detect a mild hop bite. Light grain. The body is decent with a slightly elevated carbonation level. For the style, I'd say this is better than the typical suspects, but it is still suspect itself.

08-11-2012 13:07:58 | More by smcolw
tone77

2.28/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of grains, corn. Taste is not very good, something metallic and medicinal is present, a bit of malt and grain. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a subpar beer, most American made malt liquors are better.

08-03-2012 04:08:24 | More by tone77
homebrew311

3.03/5  rDev +11%

Served in bottle at India House. Appearance is gold and clear with minimal head. Smell feature sweet malts, dry bread, mild corn, and other grainy qualities. Taste matches nose with sweetness up front, dry grains and light hop bitterness come though as well. Pretty decent flavors for a malt liquor. Mouthfeel is moderate with fizzy carbonation. Overall, nothing offensive here (which I fully expect with the style), so in that realm, this is pretty good. Otherwise, pretty standard lager.

07-27-2012 23:08:35 | More by homebrew311
barczar

Kentucky

2.2/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours a brilliant golden color with a solid one inch ivory head that fades quickly into a layer of foam.

Aroma is dominated by corn and grain, slightly sweet and alcoholic, with perhaps a touch of herbal hop and diacetyl.

Flavor reveals more diacetyl, buttery, cloyingly sweet, with heavy grain and slightly bitter hop, ending fairly alcoholic and peppery. The malt backbone is fairly nutty, and a metallic note surfaces as it warms.

Body is on the heavy side, with moderate carbonation. There's an unpleasant slickness present. Some astringency lingers in the finish.

Overall, it's the typical profile for a malt liquor, but a bit fleeting in the malt department. One is more than enough...way to sweet.

07-11-2012 05:14:16 | More by barczar
nickfl

07-01-2012 04:43:31 | More by nickfl
Tresha

1.18/5  rDev -56.8%

I found this beer to be very very strong. Of course, it is 5000 and the stronger version but it was very bitter. The aftertaste is strong. The colour is like any lager, but a little darker yellow compared to other Indian beers. Very strong and can get you very very drunk. Have only one and share with friends. You won't know what hit you!

06-18-2012 11:55:43 | More by Tresha
Haywards 5000 Super Premium Beer from Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd.