Riot Rye - Monocacy Brewing Co.

Riot RyeRiot Rye

Monocacy Brewing Co. visit their website
Maryland, United States

Rye Beer |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: bubseymour on 02-04-2013)
4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Deep thick three to tall four finger head, fluffy and creamy with a whipped up lovely top, looking thick and rich. Gorgeous head sits on a perfect amber copper red, with a little clarity and ultra fine carbonation. Great looking brew.

Excellent aromas and bouquet of the beer, even when poured. Creamy notes of caramel and biscuit like malt. Slightly hinting vanilla with a nice mellow citrus hop fruity character. Not getting a lot of spicy rye character which is fine with me, as that tends to detract for me. Smells delicious.

Good lord is this ever creamy. This is coming off like a spiced English Bitter with strawberry fruit tones. Rye malt definitely kicking on the finish with a good grainy and airy spicy character. Lots of cream sweetness upfront, sort of reminds me alot like Tetleys.

Overall very nice, but just a little bit too sweet on my end. But very well made beer.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

4.52/5  rDev +11.9%

4.24/5  rDev +5%

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one came out of the cooler at The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop.

From the bottle: "Proudly Brewed in Frederick, Maryland"; "A ruckus of complex flavor is carried in on the amber glow of torchlight. As tension builds between hop bitterness and the malty tones delivered by locally grown and malted grist, a perfect balance is achieved. The robust texture of rye allies itself with the flavors from specialty malts and hops to rebel against preconceived notions of beer. Unseat the crown. Start a Riot. [undersigned] Tom Flores, Brewmaster".

I know that I constantly contradict myself, but I am much more of a fan of AIPAs than APAs (generally), but second only to hops is rye, IMHO. I really dig what rye does for beer and rye whiskey is my Achilles Heel. I considered biting off the cap just to expedite matters, but then I sobered up, however briefly. I began with a very heavy-handed pour, resulting in over three fingers of dense, tawny head following a pseudo-cascade. Color was a coppery-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of peppermint, black pepper and caramel. I was ready to swoon! The peppermint and some of the black pepper were directly attributable to the use of rye while the sweetness was from the malt. Mouthfeel was full and creamy. The taste was minty, peppery, slightly sweet, but not by much. The finish was breathtakingly dry with the cool mintiness simply lingering following the swallow. This was a perfect example of why I love rye in my beer!

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

Riot Rye from Monocacy Brewing Co.