Bridge Builder Blonde - Parkway Brewing Co.

Bridge Builder Blonde
No picture uploaded.

Parkway Brewing Co. visit their website
Virginia, United States

Witbier |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: obywan59 on 07-03-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.25/5  rDev +23.9%

bubseymour, Feb 23, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +23.9%

jep2606, Oct 29, 2013
4.23/5  rDev +23.3%

A friend sent this to me to try. Good looking beer, like the thick appearance and very good smell but nothing great. However very tasty beer that is very easy to drink, sucked it down. Not sure about cost but will certainly revisit if I see it at a store.

JamieDuncan, Feb 24, 2014

GFish, Jul 27, 2013

bcgill, Jul 29, 2014

beerrat, Mar 19, 2014

Mercer1, Jul 04, 2014
3.96/5  rDev +15.5%

Available at the Roanoke Kroger store at Brambleton and Colonial.

From the brewery: An easy drinking Belgian-style ale, our Bridge Builder Blonde has a wheat flavored backbone from the malt, tempered with hints of clove, banana and pear. Should come in around 5.9% ABV. The name is an homage to the many immigrants who constructed the unique arched stone bridges all along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Cloudy golden to orange in color, with swirls of sediment (in the second glass) .A hard pour yields a mounding 5 1/2 finger off white head that recedes quickly leaving minimal lacing. Carbonation is evident.

The aroma is of citrusy tart wheat with banana and spice, clove being the most noticeable.

The taste is twangy wheat with banana and clove and light Belgian yeast. There's a light bitterness, whether from hops or orange peel, I'm not sure. The brewery doesn't mention any added spices. Spicy aftertaste.

Medium to medium thick in feel.Light syrup for plenty of flavor retention. The second glass seemed more flat than the first. Lightly drying. Faint heat in the throat. (the third glass regained the peppery carbonation.)

I'm not sure if this strictly qualifies as a witbier, but it seemed closer to a wit than a blonde to me. Nonetheless, it's a superb brew. It's easy drinking and full flavored. A great spring/summer brew in my opinion. This is my second beer review of PBC, and I reiterate my opinion that they are vying with Blue Ridge Barrel House for best brewery in Virginia.

obywan59, Jul 03, 2013
3.89/5  rDev +13.4%

My first try of this Salem,VA. brewery.Not a style I go to very often but I wanted to give this brewery a try,I was pleased with the results.Poured into a small tulip glass a slightly hazed orange tinged golden with one finger white head that left a full ring of lace as it settled pretty slowly.Vanilla dipped pears,toasted creal grain,and coriander spice in the nose,the vanilla/pear notes stood out nicely.Flavors are yeasty clove spice and the vanilla spiced pears up front with a firm toasted grain flavor all the way thru,a white pepper-like spiciness lingers in the finish.Not bad,not bad at all,I really wanna try this breweries "bigger" stuff when passing thru the area next time.

oberon, Jul 22, 2013
3.79/5  rDev +10.5%

A decent, light-tasting, easy-drinking brew. Certainly not a powerhouse. Maybe a bit thin in taste but not bad. Probably stacks up ok in the world of blonde ales or witbiers. Could use more spices, more banana, perhaps a bit more hops. Decent session beer.

Beer-A-Lot, Jul 04, 2013

jep4vt, Jul 17, 2013

JMUbrewz, Jul 14, 2013

ebitonte, Jul 11, 2014

JWalterWeatherman, Jan 10, 2014
3.71/5  rDev +8.2%

This bottle was in the fridge for a little while. I don't think it affected the beer.

This beer poured a little darker than expected for a blonde, but given the description, I agree with the style in that this is more of a wheat beer/hefeweizen. The carbonation is a bit low. The smell is light, but as described, banana, pear, and clove, with a sweetness present.

The taste follows suit, a lightly sweet beer with pear being the more up-front, the spice and banana taking a back seat before coming through a bit in the end. The missing carbonation might be nice here, or a drier finish, for my tastes.

Overall, I was initially impressed by this beer, but I altered slightly down on lack of carbonation, which I assume was not due to any extra age I put on it in the fridge. It is still a decent beer, nice to have on a sunny spring or summer day.

cjgiant, May 17, 2014

JasonTaverner, Sep 27, 2013

Rhettroactive, Jul 23, 2013

ZachKelly, Nov 10, 2013

sendbeer, Dec 01, 2013

brocktune, Aug 09, 2014

brother_kenneth, Apr 16, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -1.5%

Prkway casts this a Blonde ale, but the name seems insppropriate. The brewery's PR describes what I would expect to be a hefeweissbier, but what I find in my glass is something else.

I noticed a distict lack of hiss when I popped the lid on the bottle, and my fears were confirmed by ony a modest crown of foam on pour. As others have noted, the carbonation level is too low, especially since I feel the brew would best be classified as a saison/farmhouse ale. The aroma is muted, but there are spicy notes and distinct fruity tones (apple-pear). Spice and fruit drown out malt or hops in the nose, and that is also true on the palate.

It happens the beer is not as flat as it first seems, but there is no doubt that the all around flavor and mouthfeel would be greatly enhanced if those nice fine bubbles were multiplied three or four times--perhaps even as much as would requirea higher pressure bottle. The finish is pleasantly dry and refreshing with a throat-cleansing touch of bitter that feels to me more like one from spices or bitter orange peel than from hops.

My overall take is this is a good farmhouse ale with a pleasantly rustic quality that is only flawed by inappropriate carbonation, and maybe a bit too heavy hand with either spices or bittering hops (I suspect the former). I hope to revisit this brew again later, from another batch, just to see if the brewery tweaks their recipe just a tad.

danmouer, Jul 06, 2014

qcbrewer, Dec 27, 2013

HuntDaddy540, Apr 28, 2014

ygtbsm94, Aug 12, 2013
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Bridge Builder Blonde from Parkway Brewing Co.