Bridge Builder Blonde - Parkway Brewing Co.

Bridge Builder Blonde
No picture uploaded.
good

Parkway Brewing Co. visit their website
Virginia, United States

Witbier |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: obywan59 on 07-03-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

3.2/5  rDev -7.8%

2.9/5  rDev -16.4%

Was excited to try but was a little let down when I got the chance. Aroma, head, lacing, yada yada yada. The taste was lacking some carbonation and the "blonde ale" to me seemed a little closer to a saison, it was a little sweet to me. A decent beer but will not indulge again. Ill stick to the get bent IPA or try something else....

2.5/5  rDev -28%

2.08/5  rDev -40.1%

So this blonde beer looks rather...amber. That's odd.

Whoa. This beer is a mess. Too much malt. Way too sickly sweet. Some spices mixed in for good measure. This is supposed to be a witbier? Not even close. A Belgian homebrew, at best. But since it's commercially packaged and sold, it's total crap.

3.38/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Prkway casts this a Blonde ale, but the name seems insppropriate. The brewery's PR describes what I would expect to be a hefeweissbier, but what I find in my glass is something else.

I noticed a distict lack of hiss when I popped the lid on the bottle, and my fears were confirmed by ony a modest crown of foam on pour. As others have noted, the carbonation level is too low, especially since I feel the brew would best be classified as a saison/farmhouse ale. The aroma is muted, but there are spicy notes and distinct fruity tones (apple-pear). Spice and fruit drown out malt or hops in the nose, and that is also true on the palate.

It happens the beer is not as flat as it first seems, but there is no doubt that the all around flavor and mouthfeel would be greatly enhanced if those nice fine bubbles were multiplied three or four times--perhaps even as much as would requirea higher pressure bottle. The finish is pleasantly dry and refreshing with a throat-cleansing touch of bitter that feels to me more like one from spices or bitter orange peel than from hops.

My overall take is this is a good farmhouse ale with a pleasantly rustic quality that is only flawed by inappropriate carbonation, and maybe a bit too heavy hand with either spices or bittering hops (I suspect the former). I hope to revisit this brew again later, from another batch, just to see if the brewery tweaks their recipe just a tad.

3.71/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This bottle was in the fridge for a little while. I don't think it affected the beer.

This beer poured a little darker than expected for a blonde, but given the description, I agree with the style in that this is more of a wheat beer/hefeweizen. The carbonation is a bit low. The smell is light, but as described, banana, pear, and clove, with a sweetness present.

The taste follows suit, a lightly sweet beer with pear being the more up-front, the spice and banana taking a back seat before coming through a bit in the end. The missing carbonation might be nice here, or a drier finish, for my tastes.

Overall, I was initially impressed by this beer, but I altered slightly down on lack of carbonation, which I assume was not due to any extra age I put on it in the fridge. It is still a decent beer, nice to have on a sunny spring or summer day.

4.23/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A friend sent this to me to try. Good looking beer, like the thick appearance and very good smell but nothing great. However very tasty beer that is very easy to drink, sucked it down. Not sure about cost but will certainly revisit if I see it at a store.

4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Bridge Builder Blonde from Parkway Brewing Co.