Belgian Pale Ale - Aardwolf Brewing Company

Aardwolf Brewing Company visit their website
Florida, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: KVNBGRY on 09-09-2013

Before I say anything else I just want to be clear, I like this beer. Having said that I do take issue with the claimed style of "Belgian Pale Ale." To me this offering like so many others fails to capture the élan vital of true Belgian pale ales. I say this for two reasons, firstly there is too much hop bitterness. I prefer the traditional sweet/boozy notes to be at the forefront. Secondly I feel this like many others cannot match the complex spirit and intangible aspects of the style, and the over use of hops is an attempt to make up for this. However if one disregards all this and takes the beer at its face value then it is something quite good. The initial impressions on the pour were very agreeable, nice color and thick head. It had a pleasant flavor while the hops were more than I wished for, the notes of dark fruits, banana, and spices were unmistakable. It was quite drinkable, the beer managed to be both refreshing and slightly warming. On the whole I really enjoyed it, admittedly it was not what I expected, but now knowing what it is I will be coming back for more.

Maybe they should pick a different name.

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Humm BPA is not a style, not if ORval is in it.

this was a decent hop bomb ale. Looked nice but frankly I still not tasting any Belgian yeast.
no Brett if again Orval is in the style then its way way off.

now call it a plain old Pale ale and then you got something.

looks like any other PA poured into a tasting glass.

taste/smell is where its a great 3 hop combo. easy to drink but again its in IPA range IMHO.
after taste is pure hoppy pine tar.
good beer would drink again with something hot.

just quick and dirty for me

4.56/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On tap

Appearance - Deep straw when held up to a light. Amber color when in hand. Slight 1/2" off white head that slims down to about 1/8". Very slight (almost unnoticeable) lacing.

Aroma - Tropical fruit, banana, and Juicy Fruit gum. Amazing.

Taste - Juicy Fruit gum, banana, and a hint of clove. Incredible taste.

Mouthfeel - Maybe the slightest bit more carbonation would benefit, otherwise perfect from my experiences.

Overall - One of the better BPA's I've had. Absolutely great. Spot on.

Belgian Pale Ale from Aardwolf Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.