1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Jenlain Ambrée - Brasserie Duyck

Jenlain AmbréeJenlain Ambrée

Brasserie Duyck visit their website
France

Bière de Garde |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Naerhu on 11-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jenlain Ambrée Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -5%

Pours a bright clear copper penny red-brown with a light tan modest head.

Smell is nice with a sweeter fig/date characteristic with dried fruits and brown sugar. Rather sweet smelling.

Taste is a bit too sweet for my liking. More of the sweet date characteristic with some bitter orange mixed in. Ends with a nice bittering.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side and the carbonation bites a bit too much for my liking.

I'll try this with food next time to see how it works.

silenius, Mar 08, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

A coppery red to orange caste to this biere de garde. The aromas are of fruit tea, raspberry, liquer-ish (not licorice) with a hint of an herbal hops prescence. The taste is smooth buttery malt with the aforementioned fruit character and a nice balance between the malt and the hops. A dry finish, very satisfying, great with just about any meal I can think of.

horndecker, Feb 25, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Clear, reddish caramel color. Carb-rich, melting, cream colored mousse.
Aromas of ripe, broiled grains and crisp, detergent-toned hops. Generous mouthful of soft red fruits and spiced pie crust. Low acid. Moderately bitter -- mostly from husk and roast.
This is not far from the beer mainstream. Yet it has more character and durability than bona fide mainstream styles that saturate the market. Not cerebral. Get some to enjoy with plates of steamed sausages or liverwurst sandwiches and kraut.

putnam, Jan 22, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Small 11.2 oz bottle from a four pack...clear light brown with an orangey-red caste to it, bright and luminous. Whitish head rises above 1/4 of an inch and has average staying power. Simple lacing but a nice spread across the glass. Aroma is spicey, verging on metallic and with ample citrus qualities. Medium body, less carbonation than in some Biere de Gardes. Begins malty, biscuity and sugary lemon bars with powdered sugar frosting, some sweet apple pie. Makes a nod toward drying mid mouth and finishes with some yeasty tones and a very subtle hop. Could tighten up even more for me, the aroma had me thinking a dryer finish was in store. Still, this is a creamy and quaffable brew.

ADR, Jan 10, 2005
3.58/5  rDev -5%

A smooth easy drink. Strongly carbonated, refreshing. Like an amber with a purposeful off taste, some nuts, citrus, corriander, parsley salt,carrot, and malt. Different and it works. Good thing Volo Caffe held on to an LCBO bottle from a couple years back, although I think that took away from aroma.

Sammy, Dec 31, 2004
3.45/5  rDev -8.5%

Received this in a 10 pack Beers of the World gift pack so I had no real expectations when trying this one out. Noticed a good review in Michale Jackson's beer guide and feel not too far off. Enjoy the vanilla smell and after taste. Hard to judge its appearance since I'm not sure what a Biere de Garde is but it poured a nice head and solid lacing. Color of a copper unfiltered wheat. Will not seek this out specifically but it's worth a try.

Backer2004, Dec 28, 2004
3.43/5  rDev -9%

750ml Green bottle, no freshness date.

Pours out a dark golden honey color, with a very short lived head.
Looks barlywineish.

Aroma is fresh hay, green apples, some spices, a little yeast.

Flavor was sweet, apples, grass, honey, with a slight lingeing bitternes hiding in the background.

Interesting beer, I bought this at a liquor store in downtown Chandler, an area that pobably moves 1000 cases of old-e to one bottle of this, so who knows how long it has been on the shelf.
I'll look for it at my regular store, and sample it again.

Padron4KM, Dec 26, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Reminds me a bit of Fat Tire or any assortment of amber ales or red lagers in its reddish color and its earthy, cakey, and honey, yet plebian aromas. And that's not meant to be an insult. This crystal clear amber-ish brew is clearly well-crafted.

Simple but impactful flavors begin with some honey-ish malts and doughy feel. This is a total conversion beer. It's got some luxurious qualities to it with a slightly spicy mid-palate, but this is driven by crisp, simple taste.

marburg, Dec 16, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -5%

12oz bottle stamped with a best-by date of 03/2005. Poured into my Duvel tulip a dark amber hue with a nice, frothy 1-inch head. Good carbonation. Aroma of Belgian yeast, sweet malt, and light fruit. Mouthfeel is nice and sturdy, not too thick, not too thin. Palate is very fruity, with essence of peach and grapes, sweet malt, and light floral hops. Yeastiness comes through towards the back of the mouth, along with a bready character. Slightly bitter aftertaste is a bit unpleasant and keeps this from being a more drinkable beer.

ElGordo, Dec 10, 2004
3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to merlin48 for bringing this beer my way. It pours a light amber color with a small head that dies off fast and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma is reminescent of hay with some malts and a little hop. The flavor reminds me of a farm a bit. Caramel flavor with a bit of hay and dirt. Not bad, just not my style.

clvand0, Dec 09, 2004
3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer comes to my lips through two BA's. Thanks to merlin48 for sharing this with clvand0 who is sharing it with me. The beer pours a amber golden color with a finger of head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is lemony with a touch of biscuit in there, I think. The flavor is odd. I get some biscuit maly, somce lemony tartness and a decent bitter on the finish. I don't know about this one. Its not bad, but its weird. The feel is light to moderate, with a nice carbonation on it. Drinkability sufferes from the flavor that I just don't like all that much. Don't get me wrony...this is not a bad beer, but its not something I would have again.

kmpitz2, Dec 01, 2004
3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

A clean effervesent dark amber ale with a foamy off white head. A slightly sweet malt aroma with a very strong sour apple and cinnamon presence. The light malt sweetness starts out the taste. Followed quickly by aburst of carbonation that brings an appley flavor along with it and a spicey hop finish.

ybnorml, Nov 22, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

A clear amber brew with a short, foamy head. Didn't last too long, but left some moderate lacing.

The aroma was of ligher-bodied malts, and crisp aromatic hops. The hop character was quite nice.

The taste was bitter, tart, and an aftertaste that was somewhat spicy with touches of black pepper and cinnamon. A bit of fruitiness crept in as the spiciness began to fade.

Overall, a pretty good beer, of a style that is not easy to come by in my area.

connecticutpoet, Nov 18, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Amber in color with a creamy, thin white head. Soft, barely detectible aroma with faint hay elements.

Crisp and very dry, leaving fuzziness on the tongue. Total hay and farmhouse in the taste with a touch of sweetness. Bubbles on the tip of the tongue, goes down easy.

Easy drinking and a nice change of pace. Really crisp.

RockyTopHeel, Nov 13, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

This is a new style for me, and it took a couple of bottles to get a handle on its character.
The pour is a clear, actively carbonated, copperish gold body with a two finger, bone ivory head that is tightly knit, retains well, and leaves some small chains of lace.
Aroma is restrained, with a perfume hop character and mild, swwetish caramel malt.
Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, with a soft, medium body.
The floral and herbal hops produce a mildly bitter and perfumey taste, akin to sipping a carbonated, lilac tea that is carbonated. Alcohol is a minor player.
I like the style. It's refreshingly different. Light and mild, overall, and the floral hopping combines with the malt presence very well.

merlin48, Oct 23, 2004
3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

I honestly don't know where to start with this beer. This is my introduction to the style, and I'm neither over- nor under-whelmed by it. Can I simply be whelmed? I'd be down with that. Of course, I've had this bad boy in a can, in my fridge for going on four years now, and it's held up astonishingly well. Let me repeat: It's in a FREAKIN' CAN!!!, and all the flavors seem to be on. I'm no biere de garde expert, but I'm pretty damn certain I could tell a funky beer from a fresh beer (not to be confused with funky fresh beers which, like the elusive 5 rating, are hard to come by).

The color is outstanding, and if my wife could see it she'd say "Goddammit, THAT'S the color I want you to paint the kitchen!" and then I wouldn't be able to drink the rest of it until we got ourselves some swatches. However, she's not here so she'll just have to suck it up. It's this gorgeous, chill-hazed pumpkin color that has got me singing "Witches in the Pumpkinpatch" (doo doo doo, doo doo doo).

The head wasn't overpowering, but that was more due to my incredibly skillful pour (ok, I actually used both hands this time - what a world of difference) than the beer itself. The carbonation is slight, but persistent (meaning I've had it open and warming for going on fifteen minutes now, and the bubbles show no sign of resting).

The nose is very sweet, but not in an overpoweringly malty way. I still remember the first time I poured myself an EKU 28 and almost went into insulin shock. Yow. This is merely sweet, no hint of hop aroma, and this slightly spicy clove finish. Getting back to my whole 'Witches in the Pumpkinpatch" thing, I want to have this beer with pumpkin pie. I am soooo Charles Finkel.

The taste is somewhat hard to describe, as it isn't in my usual flavor palate. It's malty, but that aforementioned spicy clove finish helps balance that out. It's a finishing beer I would say, and not one you would normally choose to start the night off with. (Unless, apparently, you are a cheesemaker in the north of France. I am not said cheesemaker.) One thing that bothers me about overly malty beers is their tendency to linger on your tongue, and screw up all the flavors of anything else that may come along after (in this case, meatloaf. Not that the gentle flavors of meatloaf need any protecting from the "evils" of overly malty beer, but that's a different story altogether). This beer doesn't do that. The malts land on your tongue, introduce themselves, allow you to either welcome them in or kick them the hell out, and then they quietly fade to the background. It's an aggressively polite beer, that's what it is.

Mouthfeel is nice and robust. One of my biggest gripes in beer drinking is thin beer that can't decide if it wants to be noticed, or would really rather be ignored. This beer wants to be noticed, wants to meet and make nice, but doesn't want to overthrow the kingdom. Again, aggressively polite.

Drinkability is a bit harder for me to quantify. It's a fine beer, but I've only had half of it and feel like I've been hit by a tractor driven by Jose Bove on his way to tear down another McDonalds. Sacre bleu!

Knuckles, Oct 13, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

The head starts off well but dissapates quickly. This is a amber-orange colored brew. It's also crystal clear. The lace is sparce but sticky.

Brown sugar and light molasses aromas featured here, almost like old fashioned candy. I suspect a sweet, crystal malt ladened flavor--not much balance here, no discernable hop.

Carmelized sugar is the featured aroma. If you've ever tried melted sugar from a sauce pan (cooled into a dark brown patty) then you'll get a sense of this flavor. I'm torn: I love unusual brews, but I don't like overly sweet ones. This is a treat, so I've given it a high taste rating, but I'm pulling back on the drinkability to reflect the coyingly sweet flavors that last throughout the aftertaste.

Obviously, this is a very rich beer. I would highly recommend this as an alternative to dessert. This could be featured as an apertif.

smcolw, Oct 02, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -6.4%

Sampled at the August BJ's Saison/Biere de Garde tasting in a straight side Silly Saison glass.

Dark burnt orange with good clarityand low white head

Nose is deeply mushroom and low spiced earthy caramel malt

Flavor follows with a little bit of a cork to the mushrooms coated in caramel. Finish has spiced, sour apple finish.

drewbage, Sep 03, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Cork popped rather easily off of this 750 but thankfully there was nol rush of beer. Poured a nice coppper color with a quickly dissapating white head. Smell was delicate and floral. Taste is full of subtlities, slightly sweet and mayber pepper?? I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me. A lot of malt is present though which grows stronger as it warms. Pretty drinkable in my book. A nice treat every once and awhile.

soper2000, Aug 31, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +22.8%

Smoky orange trimmed with a bountiful and long-lasting sandy froth.
Perfumed of lilacs and rose petals, touched with a cork spiciness and dashing malt sweetness.
Begins doughy and sweet, full of sugar cookies and toast smeared with apricot preserves. Corkboard and cedar, along with a dash of thyme appear midway as this gallops towards dryness. Ends with a fully expressed, but minorly bittered, floral notation, with those same lilac and rose promises from the aroma.
Mouthfeel is divine in its nible heft. A fully creamed, effervescent skim milk.
As easy to gulp as it is to savor.
It's perhaps not the most intricate biere de garde, but it's fully realized, cohesive and delicious. Just a joy.

cokes, Aug 29, 2004
3.3/5  rDev -12.5%

The head was thin but dense and creamy on an orange mahogany color body. The smell was mostly malty but overall kind of weak. The taste was more interesting, although not exceptional. Some fruity notes of citrus and of red fruits are combined with a deep malty character.The mouthfeel is quite round but not overly complex or thick. Not sure I want to drink that again. I just had a cookie and I liked the cookie better.

tjd25, Aug 29, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

The beer poured light golden amber into the chalice. The head was white with a yellow hue and lasted to lace the glass.

The aroma was malty with caramel and dark fruit notes.

The flavor was malty with dark caramel and dark fruit. The beer started out on the palate sweet and became dryer with some bittering. The bittering and flavor hops stood out in the flavor.

The finish was dry with a slight bitterness lasting into the aftertaste. The body was medium to medium light.

750 ml bottle corked and bailed. Very refreshing and easy drinking beer.

GCBrewingCo, Aug 24, 2004
3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Presentation: Brown euro size bottle - 330ml. Freshness date 7/04 (just under the wire).
Appearance: A red/amber color with light carbonation and an off-white head (poor retention). Nice sticky lacing.
Aroma: Malt, caramel and a grassy presence of hops.
Taste/Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and slightly sweet. Mouthfeel is creamy at the start with a light hop bite and effervescent finish.

IMHO: A fair brew with a nice mouthfeel, but not a lot of memorable qualities.

SeanChouffe, Jul 26, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a rich copper with a nice two finger head that settles nicely,aroma is definently spicey all malt and sweet caramel with a touch of bread.Very firm malt taste to this beer lightly sweet with a vegetable flavor that lingers in the mouth,I get a light burnt note as I drink more along with some over ripe melon.a rich and tasty brew that Iam sure goes well with hearty fare.

oberon, Jul 23, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Sampled at the Taverne Saint Germain in Paris, France.

Copper.

Nose of caramel, toasted malts, ripe fruit, lemon and a hint of apple.

This was a very pleasant, very mellow, dry and a very flavorful and traditional Biere de Garde. Farmhouse characteristics. Burnt caramel, toasted malts, ripe fruits, perhaps a hint of ginger and a lingering suggestion of pit fruit on the finish. Lovely.

Crosling, Jul 18, 2004