Schnickelfritz - Saucony Creek Brewing Company

Saucony Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Knapp85 on 10-20-2013

Pennsylvania German’s translate “Schnickelfritz” to mean a Nix Nux, or a naughty rebellious child who is always getting into trouble. That sums up our family here at Saucony Creek, so in honor of our Pop-Pop’s chocolate covered cherry addiction during the winter months we brewed an Imperial Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout. Schnickelfritz is brewed with dark caramel malts, chocolate malts and lactose to create a smooth creamy mouth feel. Milk chocolate and real cherries are added for a winter warmer treat.
to view more.
Ratings: 183 | Reviews: 34
2.52/5  rDev -31%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Just ok, thin taste for me

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Served in a snifter.

A: Thick black, next to no head whatsoever. What little head that did form dissipated immediately. High level of suspended solids visible, kinda ominous, but not necessarily in a good way...

S: The slightest hint of cherry wafting a deep dark chocolate malt aroma.

T: Looks like all they got from the cherries was the scent. The slightest hint of creaminess slips through quickly, rapidly being ousted by a rich, heavy dark chocolate that leaves a bittersweet taste on the tongue.

M: Semi-smooth, semi-heavy. Rolls over the tongue nicely.

O: Good on the nose, but the flavor just wasn't there. Good for those of you who like chocolate flavor, though. Just not what the bottle led me to believe.

1.81/5  rDev -50.4%

With all the ingredients that the bottle lists that are in this beer, you think something would stand out but it just tastes like a creamy stout.

2.68/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a smell that reminds me of coffee and chocolate.
Appearance- A pitch black pour with a thick tannish colored head.
Taste- Didn't get it, it was semi-sweet but I didn't like the mesh of flavors. The milk chocolate, cherry and beer didn't work for me
Palate- A full bodied beer with moderate carbonation and a creamy texture.
Overall- An average beer at best. I liked the look and aroma but the flavor wasn't for me.

2.55/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Wasn't a fan of this at all. The nose was offputting.

3.74/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not a bad milk stout but I couldn't really taste the cherry at all. My wife said she could taste it a little bit on the finish but that it was a medicinal flavor so she was glad it wasn't a stronger cherry flavor.

3.23/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Highly let down. It tasted like an average homebrew at best. The adjuncts are just not here with these guys. It looked and felt more like a brown ale than an imperial milk stout. You could kinda sorta taste a hint of cherry if I told you it was in there. If you tried it blind, you would think odd brown ale.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

After finding this a few weeks ago, I finally got around to tasting this.

Poured a very dark brown, almost black color with a very thin, tan head which dissipated within 5 minutes. To my "untrained' nose & palate the only thing I noticed was a coffee aroma with little to no cherry. I was also disappointed with the lack of any cherry flavor.

Although I would purchase and drink this again, I feel it did not live up to most of the reviews that I've read.

3.91/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a thick deep dark ruby brown with a razor thin head, reminiscent of a mocha café beige swirl. Aroma is of sweet black cherry fruity essence and chocolate aroma as well. Taste is sweet black cherry with a mild roasted chocolate malt flavor. Palate is thick and full flavored, mild carbonation and slight sticky and creamy mouth feel. Finish is a lingering sweet black cherry and mild roasted chocolate malt, some esspresso and light bitterness on the end for balance. Surprisingly this brew is not overly sweet but balanced just right with a good combination of flavors. Overall a very good, tasty and flavorful holiday brew and sweet treat. very nice

4.02/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

I split a case of this with my brother Brian. Pouring a cellar temp bottle into a snifter.
I pour aggressively and get a minimal beige head that is a sturdy edge layer only almost immediately after I sit down my bottle.
Aroma is rich and kind of sweet, I get chocolate and cherry, almost like a cordial, plus a little vanilla and brown sugar too. No real booze or hops on the nose that I pick up this is a sweet malty brew on the nose.
First sip reveals a silky textured smooth beer that has mild carbonation that effortlessly rolls across my palate.
Flavor is less sweet than the nose predicted but is still nice milk chocolate and a bit of cherry flavor, not sweet cherry though like ice cream or candy. Actually almost like a cherry that isnt quite ripe. A little bitey booze is present on the finish, but otherwise this beer is vvery drinkable and enjoyable. Probably would be perfect on a cold winter's evening but I also like it just fine after this frantic Saturday in September.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle from Dad as a gift. Thanks dad! Pours dark brown to black heading into the glass with a big creamy khaki brown head. Aroma of lactose, chocolate, light coffe grinds, hint of roast, don't get much cherries. Flavor is chocolate and lactose, light roast, caramel, and some additional sweetness that I assume is some cherry, but doesn't come across as such. Medium bodied with medium plus carbonation for the style. Pretty easy drinking and pleasant. Actually significantly better than I had expected. Worth a drink.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

The brew pours dark brown with an off white head. The aroma is roasted and coffee like with a hint of dark cherry. In the taste, roasted malt, coffee, cherry and lactose sugar with an added creaminess. Semi sweet but not cloying at all, slight hops and a big roast seem to curb that. Overall this is a nice beer that is easy to drink, good balance between the cherries and roasted notes. Full bodied, flavorful beer.

3.81/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

It's a very good tasting porter. Silky and creamy from the lactate. Some sour from the lactic acid combats the cherry and chocolate sweetness. Really velvety. Mouthfeel incredibly smooth, like drinking a beer milkshake. Once again the flavor could pass for cherry chocolate chip ice cream. Finishes with a dry bakers chocolate taste, but still lots of residual sweetness. Poured a dark brown, really no head nor lacing. Has a pleasant but not overpowering aroma paralleling the palate: chocolate, cherries, light caramel, brown sugar. Not the best beer on a hot and humid day, but nice any other time.

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

A unique balance of flavorings going on here.

Slightly sweet, but not bitter.

I actually prefer the smaller head on this stout.

The smell and mouthfeel are both excellent and the coloring and lacing are awesome.

Definitely a fan of Saucony Creek now.

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

My bottle backlog here at Chez Woody has caused me to give short shrift to a number of breweries. In some instances, it was because I bought the bottle and then realized that no approved pic existed, so I took a pic, resized it, submitted the pic, set the bottle aside and then got sidetracked awaiting approval. In this case, some of their beers had pics and others did not, but now, all is in readiness!

From the bottle: "Chocolate Cherry Imperial Milk Stout crafted with cherries and chocolate"; "From Farm to Pint our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"

I do not know if the winking, buxom, braided ponytail-wearing young cowgirl really has her cherry as her hat and boots indicate, but there is no term of endearment that is more Pennsylvania Dutch ("Dutchie") than "Schnickelfritz". There is no literal translation from the Deutsch (German), but my late Pops always called my brother by this moniker. Another thought: Does chocolate milk come from brown cows?

It has been in my kitchen reefer since its arrival, so it is nice and cool, but I wanted to use an initial gentle pour in case any lees had built up. Further, if Miss Schnickelfritz really is Cherry, it behooves me to be gentle. Even so, I noticed what might have been floaties, so I kept things to a bare minimum. I agitated it in the glass and got a brief finger of deep-tan head, but it quickly returned to wisps. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with ruby highlights at the edges, hence the range. Nose was sweet, quite chocolaty and the cherries were likewise sweet, as opposed to sour. Sweet on top of sweet?!? Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium. Schnickelfritz was definitely Cherry! I could have identified cherries even without the labeling, but they were not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. Really, neither was the chocolatiness. Semi-sweet, yes, but not milk chocolate and certainly not dark chocolaty. For the second or so time in a few days, I was put in mind of cherry brandy! In Deutsch, cherry is "kirsch" and cherry brandy is "kirschwasser". How do I know this and why do I mention it? My mother's maiden name is Kirsch! Finish was bringing the heat as little Miss Schnickelfritz wanted to make this as memorable an occasion as possible. Don't worry, baby, I am not going to forget this afternoon for a while. Heat in a Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout?!? Imperial, indeed! I wonder how quickly I can get back up to Kutztown for a repeat ride ...

3.94/5  rDev +7.9%

I am really hoping the "cherry" flavor is natural rather than a mild side effect from slight infection. Paid $3.50 for the single.

A - Well it looks good again like the Hop Suplex it has hardly no carbonation just a 1/4 inch that fades back to nothing and the beer itself is quite dark with mild amber hues at the base.
S - Ah good its not infected! Lactic sugars, roasted malts, and just a hint of chocolate it smells great!
T - Its smooth, rather sweet with some cherry flavor and I do get some chocolate malt taste. Roasts are mild and sugars are great. This is a very above average milk stout.
M - It has a pretty great medium body and mildly chewy. I can dig it.

Overall I was more impressed with this so maybe they should stick to to maltier beers, which is actually my favorite of styles Bocks, Imperial Stouts, and Porters. GET ON IT guys!

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

-Chocolate cherry imperial milk stout.

A: Coffee bean-chocolate pour has a creamy, mocha tinted head that was moderately retaining. Whispy eyelash lacing.

S: Dark rich chocolate milk, freshly grounded coffee beans upfront, with a bit of lightly dry bakers chocolate bitterness coming on the tail. An average delivery strength holds back what could of been a better rating.

T: Flavor was rich sweet dark chocolate and freshly laced creamer and vanilla bean coffee. Milk chocolate, cocoa sweetness, with some fresh cherries and a finish of spicy figs and peach fruitiness. Some chocolate syrup lighlty coats the tongue on the go.

M: creamy, somewhat silky and full bodied offering showing a good carbonation factor.

O: Overall some decent chocolate-cherry accents, some degree of complexity, milkiness but definitly a dessert style type of drink limited in appeal and serving.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Sampled February 2014 from bottles in pint glass. This is the first time that I had drank this beer. I likes the beer and had a second.

Appearance: Medium/dark color with a nice tan head, and the head lasted a long time.

Smell: There are roasted malt aromas, along with some strong chocolate aromas. The chocolate gave a sweet smell, especially compared to other stouts.

Taste: Full-bodied with great balance of malt, hops, and chocolate. There is a sweet flavor due to the chocolate, but it has an excellent overall taste. The chocolate is more pronounced than other "chocolate" stouts I have tried.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, but very smooth. Very creamy.

Overall: Great stout. I enjoyed the multiple bottles that I drank, and I would buy this again.

3.47/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The khaki head is here and gone but it's a deep charcoal color with light highlights. You can tell this has aged for awhile and softened any rough edges. Light aroma of roasted malts and chocolate covered cherries. It's smooth cherry cola with no flavors standing out at all.

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle received via Growling at the Moon. Thanks for the brew, Dain!

Pours into an imperial pint glass, forming a 1" brown head over the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head lasts and lasts, fizzing away slowly, with leggy chunky lace. Aroma is sweet coffee.

Taste is sweet to start, light coffee in the middle, with creamy milk sugars through the close. Mouthfeel is smooth with some prickliness, and drinkability is good. Pretty good.

2.92/5  rDev -20%

Pitch black and completely opaque with a two finger beige head that very slowly settles into a lasting ring. Good retention with sporadic spotty lacing left behind.

Slightly smokey roasted dark malt aroma with a strong burnt/acrid character with hints of charred toast, used coffee grounds, ashtray and liquid smoke. Very subtle chocolate presence and a touch of lactose but I'm not picking up any cherry or dark fruit sweetness. As it warms, I'm picking up some dark cocoa, oatmeal and a faint sweeter chocolate presence but the roast /burnt malt is really overpowering.

Medium body and slightly over carbonated but this beer has more complexity and interesting flavor than the nose suggested. There's still a heavy roasted malt character but it's decently balanced by sweeter notes, lactose and subtle cherry sweetness. Up front there's some smokey, deeply roasted malt flavor with hints of bitter dark chocolate, burnt toast, oatmeal and robust coffee grinds. This is countered by some lighter malt sweetness with milk chocolate, caramel and toffee while the lactose gives a sweet and slightly creamy presence that counters the heavy roast. As it warms up a bit, the cherry flavor stands out a bit more but is still heavily muted by the prominent malt bill and creamy lactose. The carbonation and mouthfeel are a bit off but the ABV is well masked making this beer pretty easy to drink. Overall, not all that exciting but decent enough.

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: deep brownish red, opaque, just a hint of light scatter; no head, a thin galaxy of surface film; no lacing
S: malt and cherry, quite mild
T: distinctly malty, slightly roasted, dark cherry, almost but not too sweet, a bit of must
M: medium bordering on full-bodied, smooth, creamy
O: Not a favorite. God enough for an experimental glass. Borders on being too sweet and creamy for a stout, but those are characteristics of the style, so that isn't necessarily a negative for fans.

20oz / Pint Glass / Victoria Gastro Pub, Columbia, MD

3.74/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This seems like it would be a good milk stout without the cherries. With it, there is an added level of sweetness that kicks it up just a wee bit too much. Regardless, it's still pretty smooth. Quite easy to drink. Very pleasant. I like it. Glad I was able to find this one.

4.29/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Grabbed a 4pk and reviewing based on the first two tries. Pours jet black with a nice tan head that fads quick and leaves little if any lacing.

The smell is sweet chocolate with a hint of cherry. Instantly I expected this to be a sweet dessert beer. I really enjoy smelling this one.

The taste is very sweet and chocolatly. Kind of reminds me of hot chocolate but in a beer. The cherry is very subtle but adds to a very nice finish.

This is pretty smooth, maybe a little thin but I actually think this works for this beer. It's a nice drinking beer that goes down easy.

Overall, I really enjoy this beer. I'm reviewing it as a dessert beer, and if you think of it this way it is a top notch beer.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked this up in Totowa this past week, having never had any of the Saucony Creek beers before. Since it's cold out, this would be the reason to crack a good Stout open and this fit the bill for something to enjoy during these cold and snowy nights! While this was not anything that stood out in any particular way, I found this easy to drink and a good example of what a Milk/Sweet Stout should be. The lactose wasn't high here and neither was the alcohol and the tartness of the cherries was present but not overwhelming, even if the taste was a bit artificial.

Nice, dark pour to this, with a tan and creamy head that filled up the remainder of my pint glass. The lacing was visible but spotty as there only a few spots of it here and there as I worked my way through this. Lots of milk chocolate and some power in the nose, reinforced by a syrupy cherry taste once I took sips of this. Not a lot of alcohol and only a faint amount of bitter chocolate and lactose were to be detected here. The mouthfeel was quite smooth and made this go down easier than I would have expected. The carbonation was light and led to a gentle scrubbing of the cocoa after each sip. Only a bit of alkali remained in the aftertaste and there was hardly any tartness that remained once the liquid went down.

Smooth? Look no further than this. I didn't feel a large warming effect from this and the booze was well-hidden. Although I only bought one bottle of this, I may go ahead and get a 4-pack as I would love to give this a go again. Not thick like the "motor oil" Stouts, this one's a keeper in the sense that it's so unoffensive and not as sweet as other Milk Stouts that it straddles the line between strong and weak quite nicely. Out of dessert? Grab one of these instead - it's enough to be enjoyed after a meal all by itself!

to view more.