Schnickelfritz - Saucony Creek Brewing Company

Saucony Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Knapp85 on 10-20-2013

Pennsylvania German’s translate “Schnickelfritz” to mean a Nix Nux, or a naughty rebellious child who is always getting into trouble. That sums up our family here at Saucony Creek, so in honor of our Pop-Pop’s chocolate covered cherry addiction during the winter months we brewed an Imperial Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout. Schnickelfritz is brewed with dark caramel malts, chocolate malts and lactose to create a smooth creamy mouth feel. Milk chocolate and real cherries are added for a winter warmer treat.
Reviews by Deerslayer210:

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

My bottle backlog here at Chez Woody has caused me to give short shrift to a number of breweries. In some instances, it was because I bought the bottle and then realized that no approved pic existed, so I took a pic, resized it, submitted the pic, set the bottle aside and then got sidetracked awaiting approval. In this case, some of their beers had pics and others did not, but now, all is in readiness!

From the bottle: "Chocolate Cherry Imperial Milk Stout crafted with cherries and chocolate"; "From Farm to Pint our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"

I do not know if the winking, buxom, braided ponytail-wearing young cowgirl really has her cherry as her hat and boots indicate, but there is no term of endearment that is more Pennsylvania Dutch ("Dutchie") than "Schnickelfritz". There is no literal translation from the Deutsch (German), but my late Pops always called my brother by this moniker. Another thought: Does chocolate milk come from brown cows?

It has been in my kitchen reefer since its arrival, so it is nice and cool, but I wanted to use an initial gentle pour in case any lees had built up. Further, if Miss Schnickelfritz really is Cherry, it behooves me to be gentle. Even so, I noticed what might have been floaties, so I kept things to a bare minimum. I agitated it in the glass and got a brief finger of deep-tan head, but it quickly returned to wisps. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with ruby highlights at the edges, hence the range. Nose was sweet, quite chocolaty and the cherries were likewise sweet, as opposed to sour. Sweet on top of sweet?!? Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium. Schnickelfritz was definitely Cherry! I could have identified cherries even without the labeling, but they were not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. Really, neither was the chocolatiness. Semi-sweet, yes, but not milk chocolate and certainly not dark chocolaty. For the second or so time in a few days, I was put in mind of cherry brandy! In Deutsch, cherry is "kirsch" and cherry brandy is "kirschwasser". How do I know this and why do I mention it? My mother's maiden name is Kirsch! Finish was bringing the heat as little Miss Schnickelfritz wanted to make this as memorable an occasion as possible. Don't worry, baby, I am not going to forget this afternoon for a while. Heat in a Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout?!? Imperial, indeed! I wonder how quickly I can get back up to Kutztown for a repeat ride ...

3.27/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Slightly above average sweet stout. Taste is sweet and dark chocolate, cream, roasted malt and light dark cherries. I wish the cherries were more pronounced. Would not pass this up, but I prefer others.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

2.52/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Just ok, thin taste for me

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.79/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Saucony Creek "Schnickelfritz"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating
$2.79 @ Total Wine & More, Claymont, DE

Appearance: Very dark brown body. Long-lasting creamy tan head. The body is clear because I can see chunks of heavy sediment at the bottom of glass, occasionally rising with a bubble only to break apart and fall back down - not too nice to look at, but at least it's a dark beer.

Aroma: Chocolatey with a hint of alcohol and fruit combined, but if you look further the cherry is easier to find - go ahead, give it a swirl.

Flavor: As might be expected. The cherry comes through clearly but it's also a bit berry-like, or perhaps that's the yeast talkin'. Chocolatey. Not too malty, and certainly not too fruity. A solid bitterness backs it but you don't particularly notice it until the finish where some moderate dull hops appear (leafy, herbal). The alcohol is pretty well veiled at the start but begins to show about midway through as it warms a little. Still, it's not "hot".

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, but not thick, just beyond the "medium-full and dextrinous point". The carbonation is very fine-bubbled, and probably just under a median level of around 2.4 volumes CO2/liter. It's smooth with just enough bite.

Overall: Not a bad beer by any means, and the chocolate and cherry are pleasant, but I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer it as simply an Imperial Milk Stout". I'll definitely look for this in fall to add to my after-dinner sipper line-up.

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a smell that reminds me of coffee and chocolate.
Appearance- A pitch black pour with a thick tannish colored head.
Taste- Didn't get it, it was semi-sweet but I didn't like the mesh of flavors. The milk chocolate, cherry and beer didn't work for me
Palate- A full bodied beer with moderate carbonation and a creamy texture.
Overall- An average beer at best. I liked the look and aroma but the flavor wasn't for me.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.29/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Grabbed a 4pk and reviewing based on the first two tries. Pours jet black with a nice tan head that fads quick and leaves little if any lacing.

The smell is sweet chocolate with a hint of cherry. Instantly I expected this to be a sweet dessert beer. I really enjoy smelling this one.

The taste is very sweet and chocolatly. Kind of reminds me of hot chocolate but in a beer. The cherry is very subtle but adds to a very nice finish.

This is pretty smooth, maybe a little thin but I actually think this works for this beer. It's a nice drinking beer that goes down easy.

Overall, I really enjoy this beer. I'm reviewing it as a dessert beer, and if you think of it this way it is a top notch beer.

3.33/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Schnickelfritz from Saucony Creek Brewing Company