Schnickelfritz - Saucony Creek Brewing Company

good

Saucony Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.00% ABV

Pennsylvania German’s translate “Schnickelfritz” to mean a Nix Nux, or a naughty rebellious child who is always getting into trouble. That sums up our family here at Saucony Creek, so in honor of our Pop-Pop’s chocolate covered cherry addiction during the winter months we brewed an Imperial Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout. Schnickelfritz is brewed with dark caramel malts, chocolate malts and lactose to create a smooth creamy mouth feel. Milk chocolate and real cherries are added for a winter warmer treat.

(Beer added by: Knapp85 on 10-20-2013)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by JerzDevl2000:
JerzDevl2000

3.89/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked this up in Totowa this past week, having never had any of the Saucony Creek beers before. Since it's cold out, this would be the reason to crack a good Stout open and this fit the bill for something to enjoy during these cold and snowy nights! While this was not anything that stood out in any particular way, I found this easy to drink and a good example of what a Milk/Sweet Stout should be. The lactose wasn't high here and neither was the alcohol and the tartness of the cherries was present but not overwhelming, even if the taste was a bit artificial.

Nice, dark pour to this, with a tan and creamy head that filled up the remainder of my pint glass. The lacing was visible but spotty as there only a few spots of it here and there as I worked my way through this. Lots of milk chocolate and some power in the nose, reinforced by a syrupy cherry taste once I took sips of this. Not a lot of alcohol and only a faint amount of bitter chocolate and lactose were to be detected here. The mouthfeel was quite smooth and made this go down easier than I would have expected. The carbonation was light and led to a gentle scrubbing of the cocoa after each sip. Only a bit of alkali remained in the aftertaste and there was hardly any tartness that remained once the liquid went down.

Smooth? Look no further than this. I didn't feel a large warming effect from this and the booze was well-hidden. Although I only bought one bottle of this, I may go ahead and get a 4-pack as I would love to give this a go again. Not thick like the "motor oil" Stouts, this one's a keeper in the sense that it's so unoffensive and not as sweet as other Milk Stouts that it straddles the line between strong and weak quite nicely. Out of dessert? Grab one of these instead - it's enough to be enjoyed after a meal all by itself!

12-15-2013 09:54:22 | More by JerzDevl2000
woodychandler

4.45/5  rDev +21.6%

My bottle backlog here at Chez Woody has caused me to give short shrift to a number of breweries. In some instances, it was because I bought the bottle and then realized that no approved pic existed, so I took a pic, resized it, submitted the pic, set the bottle aside and then got sidetracked awaiting approval. In this case, some of their beers had pics and others did not, but now, all is in readiness!

From the bottle: "Chocolate Cherry Imperial Milk Stout crafted with cherries and chocolate"; "From Farm to Pint our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"

I do not know if the winking, buxom, braided ponytail-wearing young cowgirl really has her cherry as her hat and boots indicate, but there is no term of endearment that is more Pennsylvania Dutch ("Dutchie") than "Schnickelfritz". There is no literal translation from the Deutsch (German), but my late Pops always called my brother by this moniker. Another thought: Does chocolate milk come from brown cows?

It has been in my kitchen reefer since its arrival, so it is nice and cool, but I wanted to use an initial gentle pour in case any lees had built up. Further, if Miss Schnickelfritz really is Cherry, it behooves me to be gentle. Even so, I noticed what might have been floaties, so I kept things to a bare minimum. I agitated it in the glass and got a brief finger of deep-tan head, but it quickly returned to wisps. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with ruby highlights at the edges, hence the range. Nose was sweet, quite chocolaty and the cherries were likewise sweet, as opposed to sour. Sweet on top of sweet?!? Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium. Schnickelfritz was definitely Cherry! I could have identified cherries even without the labeling, but they were not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. Really, neither was the chocolatiness. Semi-sweet, yes, but not milk chocolate and certainly not dark chocolaty. For the second or so time in a few days, I was put in mind of cherry brandy! In Deutsch, cherry is "kirsch" and cherry brandy is "kirschwasser". How do I know this and why do I mention it? My mother's maiden name is Kirsch! Finish was bringing the heat as little Miss Schnickelfritz wanted to make this as memorable an occasion as possible. Don't worry, baby, I am not going to forget this afternoon for a while. Heat in a Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout?!? Imperial, indeed! I wonder how quickly I can get back up to Kutztown for a repeat ride ...

07-28-2014 21:14:26 | More by woodychandler

TriageStat

04-04-2014 11:03:57 | More by TriageStat
DrDemento456

3.94/5  rDev +7.7%

I am really hoping the "cherry" flavor is natural rather than a mild side effect from slight infection. Paid $3.50 for the single.

A - Well it looks good again like the Hop Suplex it has hardly no carbonation just a 1/4 inch that fades back to nothing and the beer itself is quite dark with mild amber hues at the base.
S - Ah good its not infected! Lactic sugars, roasted malts, and just a hint of chocolate it smells great!
T - Its smooth, rather sweet with some cherry flavor and I do get some chocolate malt taste. Roasts are mild and sugars are great. This is a very above average milk stout.
M - It has a pretty great medium body and mildly chewy. I can dig it.

Overall I was more impressed with this so maybe they should stick to to maltier beers, which is actually my favorite of styles Bocks, Imperial Stouts, and Porters. GET ON IT guys!

03-26-2014 02:57:03 | More by DrDemento456

Missouri

02-27-2014 02:32:34 | More by samurai70
beerthulhu

3.39/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

-Chocolate cherry imperial milk stout.

A: Coffee bean-chocolate pour has a creamy, mocha tinted head that was moderately retaining. Whispy eyelash lacing.

S: Dark rich chocolate milk, freshly grounded coffee beans upfront, with a bit of lightly dry bakers chocolate bitterness coming on the tail. An average delivery strength holds back what could of been a better rating.

T: Flavor was rich sweet dark chocolate and freshly laced creamer and vanilla bean coffee. Milk chocolate, cocoa sweetness, with some fresh cherries and a finish of spicy figs and peach fruitiness. Some chocolate syrup lighlty coats the tongue on the go.

M: creamy, somewhat silky and full bodied offering showing a good carbonation factor.

O: Overall some decent chocolate-cherry accents, some degree of complexity, milkiness but definitly a dessert style type of drink limited in appeal and serving.

02-27-2014 02:30:20 | More by beerthulhu
skaboom420

02-26-2014 00:10:33 | More by skaboom420
chapeti

02-25-2014 20:07:03 | More by chapeti
JJKBeerLvr

4.11/5  rDev +12.3%

Sampled February 2014 from bottles in pint glass. This is the first time that I had drank this beer. I likes the beer and had a second.

Appearance: Medium/dark color with a nice tan head, and the head lasted a long time.

Smell: There are roasted malt aromas, along with some strong chocolate aromas. The chocolate gave a sweet smell, especially compared to other stouts.

Taste: Full-bodied with great balance of malt, hops, and chocolate. There is a sweet flavor due to the chocolate, but it has an excellent overall taste. The chocolate is more pronounced than other "chocolate" stouts I have tried.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, but very smooth. Very creamy.

Overall: Great stout. I enjoyed the multiple bottles that I drank, and I would buy this again.

02-23-2014 00:55:37 | More by JJKBeerLvr