Schnickelfritz - Saucony Creek Brewing Company

Saucony Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Knapp85 on 10-20-2013

Pennsylvania German’s translate “Schnickelfritz” to mean a Nix Nux, or a naughty rebellious child who is always getting into trouble. That sums up our family here at Saucony Creek, so in honor of our Pop-Pop’s chocolate covered cherry addiction during the winter months we brewed an Imperial Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout. Schnickelfritz is brewed with dark caramel malts, chocolate malts and lactose to create a smooth creamy mouth feel. Milk chocolate and real cherries are added for a winter warmer treat.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 183 | Reviews: 34
Reviews by socon67:

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

My bottle backlog here at Chez Woody has caused me to give short shrift to a number of breweries. In some instances, it was because I bought the bottle and then realized that no approved pic existed, so I took a pic, resized it, submitted the pic, set the bottle aside and then got sidetracked awaiting approval. In this case, some of their beers had pics and others did not, but now, all is in readiness!

From the bottle: "Chocolate Cherry Imperial Milk Stout crafted with cherries and chocolate"; "From Farm to Pint our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"

I do not know if the winking, buxom, braided ponytail-wearing young cowgirl really has her cherry as her hat and boots indicate, but there is no term of endearment that is more Pennsylvania Dutch ("Dutchie") than "Schnickelfritz". There is no literal translation from the Deutsch (German), but my late Pops always called my brother by this moniker. Another thought: Does chocolate milk come from brown cows?

It has been in my kitchen reefer since its arrival, so it is nice and cool, but I wanted to use an initial gentle pour in case any lees had built up. Further, if Miss Schnickelfritz really is Cherry, it behooves me to be gentle. Even so, I noticed what might have been floaties, so I kept things to a bare minimum. I agitated it in the glass and got a brief finger of deep-tan head, but it quickly returned to wisps. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with ruby highlights at the edges, hence the range. Nose was sweet, quite chocolaty and the cherries were likewise sweet, as opposed to sour. Sweet on top of sweet?!? Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium. Schnickelfritz was definitely Cherry! I could have identified cherries even without the labeling, but they were not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. Really, neither was the chocolatiness. Semi-sweet, yes, but not milk chocolate and certainly not dark chocolaty. For the second or so time in a few days, I was put in mind of cherry brandy! In Deutsch, cherry is "kirsch" and cherry brandy is "kirschwasser". How do I know this and why do I mention it? My mother's maiden name is Kirsch! Finish was bringing the heat as little Miss Schnickelfritz wanted to make this as memorable an occasion as possible. Don't worry, baby, I am not going to forget this afternoon for a while. Heat in a Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout?!? Imperial, indeed! I wonder how quickly I can get back up to Kutztown for a repeat ride ...

3.27/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.98/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

2.52/5  rDev -31%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Just ok, thin taste for me

3.43/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.68/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a smell that reminds me of coffee and chocolate.
Appearance- A pitch black pour with a thick tannish colored head.
Taste- Didn't get it, it was semi-sweet but I didn't like the mesh of flavors. The milk chocolate, cherry and beer didn't work for me
Palate- A full bodied beer with moderate carbonation and a creamy texture.
Overall- An average beer at best. I liked the look and aroma but the flavor wasn't for me.

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.29/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Grabbed a 4pk and reviewing based on the first two tries. Pours jet black with a nice tan head that fads quick and leaves little if any lacing.

The smell is sweet chocolate with a hint of cherry. Instantly I expected this to be a sweet dessert beer. I really enjoy smelling this one.

The taste is very sweet and chocolatly. Kind of reminds me of hot chocolate but in a beer. The cherry is very subtle but adds to a very nice finish.

This is pretty smooth, maybe a little thin but I actually think this works for this beer. It's a nice drinking beer that goes down easy.

Overall, I really enjoy this beer. I'm reviewing it as a dessert beer, and if you think of it this way it is a top notch beer.

3.87/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color, no head whatsoever. Smell is of chocolate, some cherries. Taste is chocolate, lots of roasted malts, some cherry, alcohol is well hidden. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall i found this to be a tasty and enjoyable beer.

3.91/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a thick deep dark ruby brown with a razor thin head, reminiscent of a mocha café beige swirl. Aroma is of sweet black cherry fruity essence and chocolate aroma as well. Taste is sweet black cherry with a mild roasted chocolate malt flavor. Palate is thick and full flavored, mild carbonation and slight sticky and creamy mouth feel. Finish is a lingering sweet black cherry and mild roasted chocolate malt, some esspresso and light bitterness on the end for balance. Surprisingly this brew is not overly sweet but balanced just right with a good combination of flavors. Overall a very good, tasty and flavorful holiday brew and sweet treat. very nice

3.25/5  rDev -11%

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

-Chocolate cherry imperial milk stout.

A: Coffee bean-chocolate pour has a creamy, mocha tinted head that was moderately retaining. Whispy eyelash lacing.

S: Dark rich chocolate milk, freshly grounded coffee beans upfront, with a bit of lightly dry bakers chocolate bitterness coming on the tail. An average delivery strength holds back what could of been a better rating.

T: Flavor was rich sweet dark chocolate and freshly laced creamer and vanilla bean coffee. Milk chocolate, cocoa sweetness, with some fresh cherries and a finish of spicy figs and peach fruitiness. Some chocolate syrup lighlty coats the tongue on the go.

M: creamy, somewhat silky and full bodied offering showing a good carbonation factor.

O: Overall some decent chocolate-cherry accents, some degree of complexity, milkiness but definitly a dessert style type of drink limited in appeal and serving.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

After finding this a few weeks ago, I finally got around to tasting this.

Poured a very dark brown, almost black color with a very thin, tan head which dissipated within 5 minutes. To my "untrained' nose & palate the only thing I noticed was a coffee aroma with little to no cherry. I was also disappointed with the lack of any cherry flavor.

Although I would purchase and drink this again, I feel it did not live up to most of the reviews that I've read.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Schnickelfritz from Saucony Creek Brewing Company